The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?
The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 8 4.85%
The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara 19 11.52%
The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara 9 5.45%
The Strathmore Rose Tiara 51 30.91%
The Spencer Tiara 7 4.24%
The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara) 11 6.67%
The Rundell Diamond Tiara 7 4.24%
Something that has been hidden in the Vaults! 33 20.00%
The Middletons will buy her a new one 9 5.45%
Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair. 9 5.45%
None of the Above 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Courtier

My fav picks are the Scroll tiara, the Strathmore Rose, the Circle Teck, and a modified version of the Girls of England. I don't understand why everyone seems to think the Rundell will be hers to use. It's too big and grand for her IMO.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine will become the wife of the heir to the throne eventually, so I think it's highly likely she will receive a significant tiara from The Queen. There are plenty left in the vaults that could be modified for practical use (Rundell Tiara or Ladies of England), or she could choose to give her a brand-new one.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I really hope the Lovers Knot does not end up being Kate's wedding tiara. It is far too closely identified with Diana, and I think Catherine can do without any more of the obvious comparisons in her earlier years than she will already have to contend with.
The Lover's Knot Tiara was a wedding gift to Diana from The Queen and could very well end up being Catherine's tiara as well. This is in the royal tradition and Diana's divorce agreement stated her royal jewels were to pass to Prince William for his future wife to wear.

So, The Queen may choose to give it to her as it may have been considered in safekeeping until William married.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
For some reason I think Strathmore Rose will be her wedding tiara. For it a very "sweet" tiara (sorry no other word) also quite suitable for a young bride. Besides, it somehow reflects the tradition where brides wear flowers as hair ornaments.

I think so too.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the diamond bandeau Princess Margaret had on. It's a very nice tiara and is suitable for a wedding
Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Lover's Knot Tiara was a wedding gift to Diana from The Queen and could very well end up being Catherine's tiara as well. This is in the royal tradition and Diana's divorce agreement stated her royal jewels were to pass to Prince William for his future wife to wear.

So, The Queen may choose to give it to her as it may have been considered in safekeeping until William married.

I have heard this statement before about Diana's jewels but I am curious as to were this came from. It has always been my understanding that these jewels were just loans therefore Diana would not have been able to stipulate were they went in a divorce settlement. Right???

Also with the giving of her engagement ring to Kate who really knows who got what. I know I remain unconvinced that the ring went to Harry and he gave it to his brother for his future wife. Its kind of a crazy way to do things. I would think if it meant that much to him he would have kept it for his future wife. That could just be me though.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I have heard this statement before about Diana's jewels but I am curious as to were this came from. It has always been my understanding that these jewels were just loans therefore Diana would not have been able to stipulate were they went in a divorce settlement. Right???
Just to clarify facts about the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, here's a bit of history on it and where it has been. The Royal Forums » The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara

I knew there was one tiara that did give Diana headaches from wearing and now I know which one it was. Perhaps the Strathmore is lighter and would be more comfortable for Kate on her wedding day. I also think its more delicate and perfect for a veil.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just to clarify facts about the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, here's a bit of history on it and where it has been. The Royal Forums » The Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara

I knew there was one tiara that did give Diana headaches from wearing and now I know which one it was. Perhaps the Strathmore is lighter and would be more comfortable for Kate on her wedding day. I also think its more delicate and perfect for a veil.
Thank you for the clarification. I had heard scattered accounts about when the Lover's Knot made its way back tot he vaults.

AR
Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
The jewels were gifts from The Queen's personal collection to the future Queen. Diana was permitted to keep any royal jewels for her lifetime after the divorce, with the condition they could never be lent or sold, and agreed they would pass to Prince William after her death.

Because she died tragically a year later and William was still a minor at the time, these jewels were instead returned to The Queen as they belong to her.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestheticus Rex View Post
You make a good point about the Surrey and the LOE being similarly out of circulation but not confirmed as broken-up. I have added the LOE to my blog list as a second "Wild Card" addition. Again, I agree about Sophie's tiara. If it were just on a platinum/white gold frame, lowered, and if it were reduced to the three anthemion ornaments set edge to edge it would be more successful. It would read as a bandeau and would loosely evoke the Queen Mother's "Papyrus" tiara.

Here is a quick edit.
wessexRedux.png picture by AesthetcusRex - Photobucket

AR

You have made great work on your blog but the tiara worn by the Queen and Princess Anne on their Wedding Days is not the George III. fringe tiara. it's Queen Mary's fringe tiara which was made for her in 1919. She gave it to hte late Queen Mother in 1936 and it is the one the Queen Mother wore a lot until the middle of the 1950's. It was statet on the Royal collection Website but i can't find it at the moment.
Actually there a big number of fringe tiaras in the RF but it'snotclear how many. The late Queen Mother wore once in the 1940's a fringe tiara and a fringe necklace. Queen mary has also worn different ones and the Pricness Royal Mary owned also one or two fringe tiaras.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

It will be interesting to see what other pieces of jewellery show up on Catherine in her early years as a royal. I am sure there will be the usual smattering of pearl strings, chokers and diamond parures. Any guesses on which ones might emerge?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It will be interesting to see what other pieces of jewellery show up on Catherine in her early years as a royal. I am sure there will be the usual smattering of pearl strings, chokers and diamond parures. Any guesses on which ones might emerge?
I think the Queen has worn for all Weddings of her children her usual pearl-necklace and a big diamond brosh.Therefore i think she will continue and wear a pearl-necklace again.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I think the Queen has worn for all Weddings of her children her usual pearl-necklace and a big diamond brosh.Therefore i think she will continue and wear a pearl-necklace again.
Probably. My question was really about what jewels others thought Catherine may use following her wedding.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

I would love to see her in the art-deco emerald choker. I think she would carry it off wonderfully!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
You have made great work on your blog but the tiara worn by the Queen and Princess Anne on their Wedding Days is not the George III. fringe tiara. it's Queen Mary's fringe tiara which was made for her in 1919. She gave it to hte late Queen Mother in 1936 and it is the one the Queen Mother wore a lot until the middle of the 1950's. It was statet on the Royal collection Website but i can't find it at the moment.
Actually there a big number of fringe tiaras in the RF but it'snotclear how many. The late Queen Mother wore once in the 1940's a fringe tiara and a fringe necklace. Queen mary has also worn different ones and the Princess Royal Mary owned also one or two fringe tiaras.
Oh, many thanks for the information. I was using old scholarship (The Queens Jewels, Feld, 2002 reprint ed.). I will make the change. I always thought it sounded odd that Queen Mary was able to personally give away a George III/Queen Victoria prominent piece when she was no longer even queen (granted it would stay in the "main line"). I found the link on the Royal Collections website.

Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

AR
Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Courtier

What ever tiara she wears I just hope she puts her hair up
Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The jewels were gifts from The Queen's personal collection to the future Queen. Diana was permitted to keep any royal jewels for her lifetime after the divorce, with the condition they could never be lent or sold, and agreed they would pass to Prince William after her death.

Because she died tragically a year later and William was still a minor at the time, these jewels were instead returned to The Queen as they belong to her.

Thanks for the info. I have heard more reports indicating that they were just gifts. Admittedly I am more inclined to believe that than they were given to her and the "willed" to William.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Commoner

My guess it that the wedding tiara will be the Scroll. I love the Strathmore Rose but I think it's too small and delicate for the wedding (although I know it is the QM's wedding tiara). I still think there is a chance that she may do without a tiara (I hope not).
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
What ever tiara she wears I just hope she puts her hair up
I second that!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

I second that!
3rd it! With a veil, tiara and her hair down it would be very overwhelming ....

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding