Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see what other pieces of jewellery show up on Catherine in her early years as a royal. I am sure there will be the usual smattering of pearl strings, chokers and diamond parures. Any guesses on which ones might emerge?

It will be interesting to see what other pieces of jewellery show up on Catherine in her early years as a royal. I am sure there will be the usual smattering of pearl strings, chokers and diamond parures. Any guesses on which ones might emerge?

I think the Queen has worn for all Weddings of her children her usual pearl-necklace and a big diamond brosh.Therefore i think she will continue and wear a pearl-necklace again.

I think the Queen has worn for all Weddings of her children her usual pearl-necklace and a big diamond brosh.Therefore i think she will continue and wear a pearl-necklace again.

Probably. My question was really about what jewels others thought Catherine may use following her wedding.

I would love to see her in the art-deco emerald choker. I think she would carry it off wonderfully!

You have made great work on your blog but the tiara worn by the Queen and Princess Anne on their Wedding Days is not the George III. fringe tiara. it's Queen Mary's fringe tiara which was made for her in 1919. She gave it to hte late Queen Mother in 1936 and it is the one the Queen Mother wore a lot until the middle of the 1950's. It was statet on the Royal collection Website but i can't find it at the moment.
Actually there a big number of fringe tiaras in the RF but it'snotclear how many. The late Queen Mother wore once in the 1940's a fringe tiara and a fringe necklace. Queen mary has also worn different ones and the Princess Royal Mary owned also one or two fringe tiaras.

Oh, many thanks for the information. I was using old scholarship (The Queens Jewels, Feld, 2002 reprint ed.). I will make the change. I always thought it sounded odd that Queen Mary was able to personally give away a George III/Queen Victoria prominent piece when she was no longer even queen (granted it would stay in the "main line"). I found the link on the Royal Collections website.

Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

AR

Last edited:
What ever tiara she wears I just hope she puts her hair up

Last edited:
The jewels were gifts from The Queen's personal collection to the future Queen. Diana was permitted to keep any royal jewels for her lifetime after the divorce, with the condition they could never be lent or sold, and agreed they would pass to Prince William after her death.

Because she died tragically a year later and William was still a minor at the time, these jewels were instead returned to The Queen as they belong to her.

Thanks for the info. I have heard more reports indicating that they were just gifts. Admittedly I am more inclined to believe that than they were given to her and the "willed" to William.

My guess it that the wedding tiara will be the Scroll. I love the Strathmore Rose but I think it's too small and delicate for the wedding (although I know it is the QM's wedding tiara). I still think there is a chance that she may do without a tiara (I hope not).

wymanda said:
I second that!

3rd it! With a veil, tiara and her hair down it would be very overwhelming ....

What ever tiara she wears I just hope she puts her hair up
Word!

And I was just thinking about the Rundell... the few pictures we've seen of it do make it look larger than other tiaras. But it's deceiving because Alexandra wore a hair "poof", on top of which her tiaras were placed. I suspect that if we saw it closer to the head, it might look different.

Same thing with the Strathmore Rose. We've only seen it worn in a bandeau style over the forehead. What would it look like worn on top of the head? I know there are photoshopped versions out there, but it's kind of hard to tell because I've never seen Kate with a fancy updo. And long hair is distracting when worn with a tiara.

The Vladimir Tiara would give her a lot of versatility. She could wear it as just the circles, or with the pearl drops or the emerald drops. There is also the Cambridge connection if that is the Title the Queen gives them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The high frame of Sophie's tiara really is a big problem...
I haven't heard anything about the LOE tiara, but if it still exxists, I think it might be a very good choice.
I think you are quite right about Sophie's tiara looking.... well... disconnected. Perfect word for it actually......

Excellent! Love this one-

I think this one may actually be Queen Mary's fringe, which is smaller and more delicate looking than the King George III fringe....

QEII and Princess Anne wore QM's fringe at their wedding :flowers:

Attachments

• PcssMarys fringe tiara.jpg
    PcssMarys fringe tiara.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 609
  • King%20George%20III%20fringe%20tiara.jpg
    King%20George%20III%20fringe%20tiara.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 310
The Vladimir Tiara would give her a lot of versatility. She could wear it as just the circles, or with the pearl drops or the emerald drops. There is also the Cambridge connection if that is the Title the Queen gives them.

HM will not part with the Vladimir tiara simply for the fact that it is so versatile. It is the only tiara with emerald components in the collection and can be worn three different ways (Pearls, Emeralds, just Circles).

firebee34 said:
I think this one may actually be Queen Mary's fringe, which is smaller and more delicate looking than the King George III fringe....

Seeing them side by side I actually do like the QM better

Why is everyone so intent on this tiara? It seems fussy to me, compared to Catherine's tendency to favor clean lines. Of course, on her wedding day she'll be dressed more formally than ever before in her life, but I can't see this piece on her at all. She's not a flowery kind of girl, to me. Also, though she is slight, she's quite tall. I think she would look better in something with a little more height.

Oh please, let's NOT have another Sophie wedding tiara. It's simply HORRIBLE.
I have to agree. Every time I see her in that tiara I cringe. It simply doesn't work, it never sits properly on her head. Disaster!
THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA is just fabulous...
I love that tiara. It would be a perfect gift for Catherine!
You are right, Kate maybe will have less of a choice and she will only have one tiara for the first couple of years. But who knows? Maybe the Queen offers her a choice of 2 or even more tiaras and she can choose her favourite?
But whichever tiara she gets: I'd be very surpised if she doesn't try out her hairstyle before the wedding.
The Queen is, after all, a woman. She surely understands that a tiara and wedding gown must compliment one another, and I trust she would take all of this into account when deciding which tiara(s) to offer to Catherine.

And here's another strong vote for Catherine wearing her hair up for once on her wedding day!

I believe that the picture on the right actually shows a replica tiara from this site: royal Exhibitions - The Queens Tiaras
Unfortunately all the pictures are gone from this site and it looks like they stopped business. But the picture is exactly in the style they had on their website.

Why is everyone so intent on this tiara? It seems fussy to me, compared to Catherine's tendency to favor clean lines. Of course, on her wedding day she'll be dressed more formally than ever before in her life, but I can't see this piece on her at all. She's not a flowery kind of girl, to me. Also, though she is slight, she's quite tall. I think she would look better in something with a little more height.
I was thinking that this tiara remodeled or perhaps with a base would be nice. looking at it closely, the diamonds are old cut and probably would not sparkle as much as a newer one. *sigh* I just hope she doesn't wear the Cambridge lover's knot. That, I think, would be a big mistake......

If I were Catherine's Mum, I would buy her a new one just for the wedding. After all, it's not like they can't afford it.

Maybe I am confusing myself...but at one time wasn't there a tiara in the BRF that is simliar to the one Maxima is wearing in the banner? Or am I thinking of the scroll?

Maybe I am confusing myself...but at one time wasn't there a tiara in the BRF that is simliar to the one Maxima is wearing in the banner? Or am I thinking of the scroll?
I don't know of any tiara that is similar to the Dutch diamond bandeau.:flowers:

After looking at the poll mentioned above, I agree that it's cute, but I don't think that any of the tiara's are real contenders other than perhaps the Strathmore, but IMO that's a long shot at best. After seeing the QM fringe tiara I think that would be an excellent choice, as well as The Vladimir Tiara. It's really to bad that the Cambridge Lover's Knot has the history it does because I think that to would be another good choice. The best thing for Kate would be for her parents to buy her a tiara as a wedding gift so as avoid the comparisons to others who have worn one of HM's tiaras in the past.

In this economic climate, I think they would be roasted in the press and public opinion for squandering the money on a new tiara when there are so many in the vault that have not seen the light of day in generations. And she will be the wife and mother of a sovereign (hopefully) rather than a small stub on the family tree.

I am leaning towards the Strathmore Rose Tiara - because it hasnt be seen for a number of years and it is youthful and not overpowering. Also there is the obivious connection to the late Queen Mother and we know that Charles loves to display her jewels in public with Camilla wearing them so why not suggest to the Queen for Kate to be given this tiara.
Otherwise i think we will be surprised by something on the day from the vaults that has either be created from old pieces or is something unseen for decades/century which will be difficult to find out its background.
Really doubt that a new tiara will be purchased for Kate considering the British vaults.

Other jewels i could see her wearing in her royal royal - some of Diana's sapphire pieces (the boys clearly want to use their late mother's jewels for the future wives which is great) so i could see her in the Saudi suite or the iconic sapphire choker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom