Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
will we see all three of her dresses?

I believe that for the last reception she'll change dresses, so if we catch that arrival we'll see 2 of those. Maybe she order 2 options for the wedding gown, just in case of a leak.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1231286

Meanwhile, it has been reported that seamstresses at McQueen's head office have been arriving unusually early.

If she's doing the 3 different designers thing this proves why. There are people out there "watching". Whoever breaks the news will get the scoop of the year.
As much as I want to see the dress I also don't want to see it till April 29th.

Last edited:
Well it maynot be due to respect but so far nothing has leaked and we are about 2 and a half weeks away!!!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll stay that way!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed too, her dress should remain a secret (and hopefully pleasant surprise) until April 29th.

Coincidentally, CP Mette-Marit and Princess Mabel's dresses are my two ugliest (or least pretty, whichever phrase is appropriate) wedding dresses to date.
MM's was much too simple and Mabel's doesn't need explanation imo.

I am curious to see what Catherine will be wearing but I am not keeping my hopes up. I have a pretty awaiting attitude.

:previous:Kate doesn't have great style so I'm not putting money on her wearing something really beautiful. But I'm hoping she goes all out for this one day. I'm hoping she'll surprise me.

Coincidentally, CP Mette-Marit and Princess Mabel's dresses are my two ugliest (or least pretty, whichever phrase is appropriate) wedding dresses to date.
MM's was much too simple and Mabel's doesn't need explanation imo.

I am curious to see what Catherine will be wearing but I am not keeping my hopes up. I have a pretty awaiting attitude.

Yes, MM's dress was too simple for me, but I think it suited her perfectly.
I think Kate's dress will be simple as well, based on her current fashion, but hopefully not as simple as MM. I definately don't see her in a full ballgown type of dress, or anything with too much design or decoration. She'll play it safe, like she has been all along.

The only dress, between the CP that I really liked was Maxima's. all the other, along with the hair weren't my cup of tea.

I'm still hoping for some lace. Feminine and ageless, IMO.

:previous:Kate doesn't have great style so I'm not putting money on her wearing something really beautiful. But I'm hoping she goes all out for this one day. I'm hoping she'll surprise me.

Everyone differs in opinion but I really like her style though I am hoping for a few more daring pieces when she officially becomes a princess. That being said I am always disappointed....well not always, but usually...generally....whatever:lol: disappointed with the choice of royal wedding dresses as of late (by late I mean last 10 or so years). I love detailing and embroidery and some don't even have that which is a little discouraging, but we'll see. Hopefully, I will be more than pleasantly surprising.:flowers:

IMHO, Less is more, that's her and she's not a phony..

It is what it is..

Why should she do all frills , lace and glitz if that's not her?

In my royal wedding watching experience, all the royal ladies who have been known (or suggested) to have great fashion style...their wedding dresses have been so so (Mary of Denmark, Aimee of the Netherlands). I think we expect too much. The one exception was Princess Grace but she was a Hollywood star for goodness sake!

The royal ladies who don't have too much style (or rather its a hit and miss) have managed to surpass my expectations (think Anita, Maxima, Laurentien of the Netherlands, Sarah of the UK, Elena of Spain).

Then there are those whose style I don't like and they totally live up to it (Mabel of the Netherlands).

Then there are those who dress safe and their dress reflects that and it looks lovely (Victoria of Sweden, Mathilde of Belgium, Cristina of Spain).

For a lot of royal ladies who marry into the family, they only develop their style AFTER they wed (Mette Marit of Norway, Letizia of Spain).

The problem with royal brides is that they can only be so trendy and show too much personality. Kate's dress will be somewhat simple in a classic elegant way (satin and lace) which isn't a bad thing...who wants to look at your wedding dress 10 to 20 years from now and it dates itself?

Last edited:
:previous:I think a wedding gown will always "go" dated. Mine was "state-of-the-art" back in '69. I look at the photos now and wonder...well, you know!
------------------------------------------
I have to tell you, though that I loved Mabel's gown. It really is the only original design of the whole lot. All the others were just modifications of gowns that had come before.
------------------------------------------
I really don't care what Kate wears. I only hope she is satisfied with her finery on the day.

Personally, I think there is one dress and one designer and that the whole process has been set up from beginning to end to ensure no leaks are possible. To start off with the less people involved in the design and making of the thing the better. Is it possible that their could just be the designer and one seamstress involved or would more be needed?
I agree! These rumors are misdirection, imo. There's probably only one dress; she'd be criticized for extravagance if she had three!

Well clearly everyone has their own favorites. Of course number one in my book has always been Grace Kelly. It's hard to imagine anyone doing better than that.

As opposed to so many others, I thought MM's gown was lovely ... very simple, but very elegant and I think it suited her perfectly. Some of the others suggested, not so much. I have always thought that Princess Anne had a lovely wedding dress. But I'm all for lace IF it is used properly, in other words, again Princess Grace.

It's a good thing there are so many different tastes, it keeps the designers busy. :)

It is interesting how well Pr. Grace's gown has held up. If it were worn today, we would all swoon. It was simply classic -- and very, very beautiful! And then her beauty and carriage were above all, too...

As for a more recent bride, for overall beauty and carriage, despite the fact that the gown was not perfect and that she by tradition HAD to wear the antique, difficult to wear veil, Pr. Mary was among the loveliest brides ever. I think that Pr. Maxima's dress was stunning, but that overall, her ensemble wore her, not the other way around. Going back in time, Queen Fabiola was Fab! A truly lovely bride.

Can't wait to see what Kate comes up with!

My personal favorite wedding gown will always be Princess Margaret's. I loved Diana's gown too. My mom and I were talking about it a few weeks ago and to my surprise she said she thought it was the ugliest gown she had ever seen! I honestly did not know that! I didn't speak to her for 2 seconds but I forgave her for her lack of taste! :ROFLMAO:

I can't wait to see what Catherine will wear. I even took April 29 off from work so I can watch the wedding! :D:D

For a lot of royal ladies who marry into the family, they only develop their style AFTER they wed (Mette Marit of Norway, Letizia of Spain).

The problem with royal brides is that they can only be so trendy and show too much personality. Kate's dress will be somewhat simple in a classic elegant way (satin and lace) which isn't a bad thing...who wants to look at your wedding dress 10 to 20 years from now and it dates itself?

Sometimes that's how I feel about Diana's wedding dress. It was totally 80s but when i look at it now it's kind of like looking at a comforter (not to be rude).

With Kate, I really don't know what to expect because yes we see he out and about and at so semi-formal events but nothing to seriously suggest her "princess" style, if that makes since. I totally agree with your comment about style usually emerging after marriage and settling in to the royal life. Especially since Kate's fashion and clothing budget will skyrocket, which I am really envious of LOL.

Thats how I feel about Diana's dress. I wasn't even alive then but I know people went crazy about it. But I think its an unattractive dress, very 80's. Its really the only wedding dress that I can think of that way, even going back to the Queen Mother's dress. So hopefully Kate doesn't go for anything fussy or trendy. But I have good faith in her that she won't.

When I look at Dians's dress now I don't really care for it. However, it looked very pretty at the time and was clearly what she wanted. Unfortunately it was the epitome of what a nineteen year old girl marrying a Prince would probably like. Definitely a fairy tale dress, right out of a story book. Unfortunately the fairy tale was just that!!!!

Diana's dress was, in my opinion, a bit much. However, it suited her. And yes, it definitely had that 'fairy tale princess' touch to it. I hope Catherine goes for something a little more simple, but I can understand completely if she wanted to go all out. It will be fun to see what her gown will look like.

Despite Diana's dress having a very 80's look (and I say this as a child of the 80's neon clothes and all)...I really can't imagine her in another one. She is one person, maybe because its association with her...but it doesn't look dated for me and she looks perfect in it.

Now, I look at other 80's brides...Gloria of TNT, Marie Astrid even Caroline's first wedding (late 70's) and they look dated.

I can't imagine Diana in another dress and I can't imagine that dress working for anyone else.

I think Kate's will be classic, simple and elegant...and timeless. She is not a trendy person...really a lot of her clothes could be like Anne in 20 years. Remember when Anne wore the dress she wore to Charles and Diana's wedding to Lady Rose's wedding?!

^If there has ever been any royal wedding dress that is dated, it's Diana's. Wear that thing now and you'll be a laughing stock. Could be in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, only classier.

^If there has ever been any royal wedding dress that is dated, it's Diana's. Wear that thing now and you'll be a laughing stock. Could be in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, only classier.

I don't know about that, Empress Merel, because it was perfect for her for that time, it was the fashion of the early 80s and, as I've said before, the train had to be as long as it was because anything shorter would have just looked lost among the sheer grandeur of St Paul's Cathedral.

I think Kate will go for something with a long train but with cleaner lines.

I have the book "A Gown for Diana" written by the Emanuels about the entire process. Diana's gown belongs to the time she lived in and at that time, it was something to behold. I still love it and always will.

I think Catherine will go with something with clean cut lines and classic style, like Princess Victoria's

my favorites are the ones that were the were, in my opinion, classic...could still be worn today. Countess of Wessex, Sarah Chatto, Sarina Stanhope.

my favorites are the ones that were the were, in my opinion, classic...could still be worn today. Countess of Wessex, Sarah Chatto, Sarina Stanhope.

I think you mean Serena Stanhope ;).

I wasn't too fond of Sophie's wedding gown. It didn't fit her properly, esp. around the shoulders. It looked, for lack of a better word, odd.

I think thats because we only saw the coat...I believe she had something on under it. Like a sheath dress or something.

Hopefully Kate wont' go that route.

i liked those dresses because they were timeless...any of those dresses could easily be worn today. i hope that catherine's is as timeless. i have a feeling that it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom