The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I saw the report (in the NZ Herald I think) about a red carpet being used in the Abbey and was taken by surprise because a blue carpet has always been used for the royal weddings there. If a red carpet is used, it will certainly be a nice surprise.

It makes me wonder if there is blue in the bridesmaids' dresses, and perhaps they don't want them to clash with the carpet?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It makes me wonder if there is blue in the bridesmaids' dresses, and perhaps they don't want them to clash with the carpet?
I thought the exact same thing!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I am hoping for alot of blue (flowers, bridesmaid's dresses etc) but I think such colours would clash more with a red carpet than a blue one - or would they?! Any colour experts here?! I'd rather a blue carpet was used as visually I think it's more crisper and modern. I'm thinking of a very starkly crisp, sharp, almost pure white dress for Kate softended by blues and yellows for the flowers.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I thought the exact same thing!
Me too! Here's hoping...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Or maybe they don't want them to disappear in the carpet if the blues are too similar.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Then you are one of the few who think that way, most of us want to see her with an at least decent train .
I think it's a lot of fabric just hanging there cleaning up after you
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I saw the report (in the NZ Herald I think) about a red carpet being used in the Abbey and was taken by surprise because a blue carpet has always been used for the royal weddings there. If a red carpet is used, it will certainly be a nice surprise.
Perhaps the reporter was looking at pictures of C & D at St Pauls and didn't consider that the Abbey was a different church with different traditions. Or perhaps they just associate red carpets with royalty and didn't bother to fact check at all......which seems quite common with the press these days.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
Definitely. A short train (or none at all) would be OK for a tiny church or chapel or a register office but not for a big building like Westminster Abbey.
Just hoping the designer hasn't got her into the 1980's competition of who can have the longest train.
I remember going to a wedding in a smaller village church where the bride reached the altar and the end of her train was was just at the entrance to the church. My mother had trouble stiffling a fit of giggles, and it was all anyone could talk about at the reception....well that along with one of the little page boys tripping over the train when he tried to help gather it up so the bride could turn and leave the church.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
I don't want her to have a long train . I don't see the need for it
I totally agree with this. If they're too long, they are ludicrous. I thought that the small train that Camilla had at the blessing service at St. George's Chapel was quite adequate, very graceful and not ridiculous.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

A long chapel aisle needs a long train. Not as long as Diana's was, but a reporter for the BBC said she took the walk up the nave and it was 4 1/2 minutes from start to finish. Too small a train or none at all would look understated and frankly, rather pedestrian.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
I totally agree with this. If they're too long, they are ludicrous. I thought that the small train that Camilla had at the blessing service at St. George's Chapel was quite adequate, very graceful and not ridiculous.
If this was Kate's second wedding, and was only a blessing service at St. George's Chapel I would agree with you.

Camilla was a middle aged woman with children, having her second wedding. A very long train would have been ludicrous indeed under those circumstances!

I do agree that Camilla looked perfect at that service though...she has never looked better.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Serene Highness

The other thread, with the flowers and trees mentioned, seems to imply that many pastel colors are in the floral arrangements. I suppose pastels can work with red, but I'm hoping for a blue carpet.

Have we established yet what color the carpet is at the Abbey?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I've been waiting for this "musing"!
IMO the only thing we can be sure of is that Diana would have made sure she upstaged everyone bar the Bride!!
Interesting way to look at Diana's style. I think it was inevitable that, being so tall and willowy, Diana would stand out in most crowds (also that blonde hair).

But, I would think that even Diana would have to think carefully about what to wear as mother of the groom.

Speaking of which, will Camilla act as the mother of the groom in some ways? I know I've asked this before, but I'm not sure there's been enough speculation! Who is going to ride with the father of the bride, I guess I'm asking. If it's been asked and answered, direct me to yon thread!

(Or is this just one more thing we're holding our breath to see what happens?)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
The other thread, with the flowers and trees mentioned, seems to imply that many pastel colors are in the floral arrangements. I suppose pastels can work with red, but I'm hoping for a blue carpet.

Have we established yet what color the carpet is at the Abbey?
Some reports mentioned it was red.

Since its confirmed that the flowers are seasonal im thinking bright colors such as yellow, pink, purples etc but im sure they will settle for 1 or 2 colors rather than mixing tons of colors.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Speaking of which, will Camilla act as the mother of the groom in some ways? I know I've asked this before, but I'm not sure there's been enough speculation! Who is going to ride with the father of the bride, I guess I'm asking. If it's been asked and answered, direct me to yon thread!

(Or is this just one more thing we're holding our breath to see what happens?)
Charles & Camilla will ride in the carriage with the Middletons.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Charles & Camilla will ride in the carriage with the Middletons.
yeps... will be Kate and William in the first, Pippa and Harry and wedding party in the 2nd (and 3rd?). HM and the DoE after the bridal party with Charles, Camilla, Mike and Carole following.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
yeps... will be Kate and William in the first, Pippa and Harry and wedding party in the 2nd (and 3rd?). HM and the DoE after the bridal party with Charles, Camilla, Mike and Carole following.
How come Harry & Pipa in the 2nd? Why not the Queen then the parents then Harry & Pipa? Im just thinking age wise unless it goes in a different order.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
How come Harry & Pipa in the 2nd? Why not the Queen then the parents then Harry & Pipa? Im just thinking age wise unless it goes in a different order.
When you think about it, it makes sense. The recessional from the Abbey will be Kate and William leaving first with the bridal party following. They are the main players in the wedding. The Queen is the last to be seated before the bridal party enters the Abbey. Any other occasion, she is the LAST to enter before anything starts. With a wedding, its one time that HM is seated before any other person. It IS William and Kate's day and due to that, they get precedence over the Queen. It would be really odd if they were already at the altar when the Queen was seated.

The procession from the Abbey to Buckingham Palace reflects this. As they go in, they go out. The bridal party will naturally follow Wills and Kate out. Once they're gone, the first person who is NOT in the bridal party is HM and the DoE. She does take precedence over the parents of the bride and groom even.

I think I got that right...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Bride & Groom
Bridal Party in 2 carriages
Queen & DoE
Parents of Bride & Groom
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda

Bride & Groom
Bridal Party in 2 carriages
Queen & DoE
Parents of Bride & Groom
Yep. Wymanda has it down. That is the order I've seen in many royal weddings.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding