Catherine Middleton Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love #3, the Leaf gown. It was posted waaaay, waaaay back in this thread and everyone, except me, thought it was too matronly.

I don't think it's too matronly. Too me it has a slight 1950's feel. Princess Margaret and Viscountess Linley's wedding dresses had a similar look to the neckline and sleeves. If they want to talk matronly what about all those wedding dresses from the 1960's that didn't have any shape and hung straight down?

I love #3, the Leaf gown. It was posted waaaay, waaaay back in this thread and everyone, except me, thought it was too matronly.

I remember that one vividly as I also loved it. I think I compared it at the time with the cathedral wedding dress worn by Maria in The Sound of Music. Rather than matronly, I think it looks simply regal.

I agree with you KristineML, Princess Margaret's wedding dress is my favorite of all the British Royal brides since her sister. On a side note, and I don't wish for it to be a downer, but while I think that the Countess of Wessex is a beautiful woman, her wedding dress was so ill-fitting that I think it has to be my least favorite.

Last edited:

Me, too. I'd love to see something with variegated (silver, gold) embroidery. I loved Camilla's dress for that very reason--I thought it looked great!

On a side note, and I don't wish for it to be a downer, but while I think that the Countess of Wessex is a beautiful woman, her wedding dress was so ill-fitting that I think it has to be my least favorite.

Yes, no shape whatsoever and no detailing to make it memorable.

Last edited:
I like the leaf dress too - it would be very different from what other recent royal brides have worn. Of course, it would have to be reworked in a different, more stunning fabric and all, but I think she'd look back on it years from now and think it was classic.

If Diana were still alive, we'd be speculating about her mother of the groom dress as well, and her influence on Kate's style - it's very sad that there's this big hole there.

If Diana were still alive, we'd be speculating about her mother of the groom dress as well, and her influence on Kate's style - it's very sad that there's this big hole there.

I've been waiting for this "musing"!
IMO the only thing we can be sure of is that Diana would have made sure she upstaged everyone bar the Bride!!

Canadian newspapers are speculating that Catherine may not be wearing a tiara.Just read something on the way home from work,..

Based on reports that Catherine designed her dressed based on something from the Renaissance that she saw in her Art History class, I'm going to guess she goes for a very Buttercup-in-The-Ptincess-Bride look.
Photos from The Princess Bride

Then you are one of the few who think that way, most of us want to see her with an at least decent train :D.

I certainly agree..unless she is marrying in a much smaller venue, a Royal bride should have a very long train to be able to "fill up" the space in a cavernous cathedral/abbey. :)

I listen on tv today thatshe will have 3 different dresses, one for the church and one for each of the receptiosn, hope we can see al of them!!!!!!!!

Olivier Theyskens almost reveals Kate Middleton's wedding dress designer
Read here

Olivier Theyskens is known of making some of the most beautiful gowns, he use to design for Rochas but left the house. I must say if he was a choice (but I doubt that Kate would go foreign) it would've been a lovely dress.

My comment was based on reports that the particular carpet used in the Abbey with it's deep blue pile, and gold embroidered fleur de lis had given trouble previously. If you look at film of PA's trip up and down the aisle you will notice she was very tentative,(especially at the door from Edward the Confessor's Chapel, when she turned to Princess Anne for help-and again walking around the tomb of the Unknown Soldier.) and was reassured at the abbey door by Angus Ogilvy that she had managed quite well. Unusual for a newly royal inducted husband to reassure his princess that she had done well, when it is she who has been doing it all her life-except perhaps if she thought that she might be about to lose her veil, and had whispered something to him. The red carpet they will use, might (a) have a very short pile; and (b) be synthetic, or a wool mix, or silk cashmere, or from the underside of angels wings for all I know.
A further indicator re the troublesome carpet in the Abbey is the fact that the then Princess Elizabeth's heavily embroidered tulle train(lace?) was carried by her pages across the carpet, Perhaps rehearsals had indicated that it might otherwise drag.
You see, it is not really such a silly idea.

I saw the report (in the NZ Herald I think) about a red carpet being used in the Abbey and was taken by surprise because a blue carpet has always been used for the royal weddings there. If a red carpet is used, it will certainly be a nice surprise.

Then you are one of the few who think that way, most of us want to see her with an at least decent train :D.

Definitely. A short train (or none at all) would be OK for a tiny church or chapel or a register office but not for a big building like Westminster Abbey.

I saw the report (in the NZ Herald I think) about a red carpet being used in the Abbey and was taken by surprise because a blue carpet has always been used for the royal weddings there. If a red carpet is used, it will certainly be a nice surprise.

It makes me wonder if there is blue in the bridesmaids' dresses, and perhaps they don't want them to clash with the carpet?

It makes me wonder if there is blue in the bridesmaids' dresses, and perhaps they don't want them to clash with the carpet?

I am hoping for alot of blue (flowers, bridesmaid's dresses etc) but I think such colours would clash more with a red carpet than a blue one - or would they?! Any colour experts here?! I'd rather a blue carpet was used as visually I think it's more crisper and modern. I'm thinking of a very starkly crisp, sharp, almost pure white dress for Kate softended by blues and yellows for the flowers.

Or maybe they don't want them to disappear in the carpet if the blues are too similar.

Perhaps the reporter was looking at pictures of C & D at St Pauls and didn't consider that the Abbey was a different church with different traditions. Or perhaps they just associate red carpets with royalty and didn't bother to fact check at all......which seems quite common with the press these days.

Definitely. A short train (or none at all) would be OK for a tiny church or chapel or a register office but not for a big building like Westminster Abbey.

Just hoping the designer hasn't got her into the 1980's competition of who can have the longest train.
I remember going to a wedding in a smaller village church where the bride reached the altar and the end of her train was was just at the entrance to the church. My mother had trouble stiffling a fit of giggles, and it was all anyone could talk about at the reception....well that along with one of the little page boys tripping over the train when he tried to help gather it up so the bride could turn and leave the church.

I don't want her to have a long train . I don't see the need for it

I totally agree with this. If they're too long, they are ludicrous. I thought that the small train that Camilla had at the blessing service at St. George's Chapel was quite adequate, very graceful and not ridiculous.

A long chapel aisle needs a long train. Not as long as Diana's was, but a reporter for the BBC said she took the walk up the nave and it was 4 1/2 minutes from start to finish. Too small a train or none at all would look understated and frankly, rather pedestrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom