The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Would it be wrong for kate to be wearing a non british designer?Charlene is getting a dress from armani and it does not seem a problem.
True, but the British Royal Family is very different and much more steeped in tradition than the Monegasques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Looking at her site & the wedding dresses, they don't look very promising. I would love to see Kate in an Alexander McQueen dress but then there are some other promising British designers who I don't recall their names. I would also be surprised if she was actually doing the dress & how that was leaked.

Me too, I hope it isn't true and then again, I wish they would just leave her alone and have the patience to await the 29th. Only a little less than a fortnight to go, I would say those two tiny weeks can be included as well by now.
And, I think I don't even want to see the dress before the wedding day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh good grief! Her wedding dresses look more like fussy negligee's. Please, please, please let it be wrongg!!!!!
I agree, I don't like what I see there at all.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Nobility

More thoughts on "The Gown"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh good grief! Her wedding dresses look more like fussy negligee's. Please, please, please let it be wrongg!!!!!
We've heard also that there maybe three designers. And perhaps there is a dress just for the "dancing" party at night, and the Libelula could be for that part of the day.

Like Marg, I am a bit dismayed by the idea of Libelula (even though I had promised myself not to be critical about whatever dress she wears).

But I am remembering (and hoping) that Kate may have more than one surprise for us all!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

I will say, that although we are owed nothing, I will be very dissappointed if Kate changes dresses,whether once or three times, and we don't get at least an official picture of the other dresses.....just saying I want to see as much as possible :)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
We've heard also that there maybe three designers. And perhaps there is a dress just for the "dancing" party at night, and the Libelula could be for that part of the day.

Like Marg, I am a bit dismayed by the idea of Libelula (even though I had promised myself not to be critical about whatever dress she wears).

But I am remembering (and hoping) that Kate may have more than one surprise for us all!
I hope this theory is correct because I looked through the dresses from Libelula and was similarly unimpressed with the wedding offerings. The dresses have a feminine vibe that is clearly inspired from both the '40s and the late '60s/early '70s and I rather liked them for dressy or evening wear but definitely not for a wedding on the scale like this one.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Gentry

The Libelula wedding dresses on the site just don't say Westminster Abbey wedding to me. They look like they would be great for a "Knees Up" in the evening though.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Commoner

You know what? I can see Libelula if she goes the coat dress route, a la Letizia and Mathilde. If she's wearing a long-trained coat dress (e.g., in silk velvet embroidered with silver motifs to match her jewelry), she could be wearing a soft, draped silk underdress. That tailored coat over feminine underdress look would suit her well. And if the train's long enough and the tiara grand enough, well ...
Old 04-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Gentry

Catherine Walker is a British designer but she's actually French. What about Jasper Conran, I've been really surprised his name hasn't come up - he did such a lovely job with Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding dress - and he's still designing.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Nobility

Hi Island Princess:

I also thought of Catherine Walker, but I learned from these forums several months ago that she died last year! Her company is still in existence, but is run by others. And also Jasper Conran's name has been tossed about by forum posters and the British press. Guess we'll not really know much until 11 a.m. on the 29th! Very exciting!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

It seems as if just about every British designer has been named as the designer of choice!

Maybe we should look for the one who hasn't been named, and that will prove to be the right one!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Nobility

That's why this latest report was so surprising, don't you agree Mirabel? I have not heard of Libelula mentioned as a potential designer for Kate, despite having paid close attention to all of this...
Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Sunday Times' article about bridesmaids' dresses.

This is from The Sunday Times:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle606585.ece

I'm intrigued about the article's report that the dresses are "cloud-like" and it sounds like they will be full skirted. Hmmmm. How does that weigh on our thoughts about Kate's gown??? Hmmmm.

SOOO much fun to wonder...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Nobility

For HRB to be, yes I do believe it will have sort of skirt fullness..

Patience,, shortly the entire world will know.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It seems as if just about every British designer has been named as the designer of choice!

Maybe we should look for the one who hasn't been named, and that will prove to be the right one!
Clever thinking, kind of like Sherlock Holmes.....discount all the obvious solutions and one left over is the solution you need!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Nobility

Yet Another Kate Wedding Gown Article

It's from today's good old DM, so we should take it with a grain of salt...

Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton designs her own dress | Mail Online
Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Administrator

The People magazine with Jennifer Lopez on the cover, has a 10 page spread on the royal wedding....they mention that supposedly Kate is to have a preference for a Grace Kelly kind of dress. I thought Grace's dress was beautiful but I am wondering if Kate can pull that off. Maybe when she first came in the public eye, but now I think she should go for a sleek simple look.

Thoughts?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenw View Post
You know what? I can see Libelula if she goes the coat dress route, a la Letizia and Mathilde. If she's wearing a long-trained coat dress (e.g., in silk velvet embroidered with silver motifs to match her jewelry), she could be wearing a soft, draped silk underdress. That tailored coat over feminine underdress look would suit her well. And if the train's long enough and the tiara grand enough, well ...
I could see Kate going for that sort of look. I've always thought she has great coats and it seems to be a style that she likes.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM

I hope the design remains a secret until Kate steps into the church. I want to be surprised! I think her gown will have simple lines but be quite elegant. No poufy sleeves and big ruffles. More conservative. Whatever she wears she will be elegantly beautiful.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how DM got some of those details. I don't want to know the dress design tbh even though I originally wanted to know the designer and such I don't anymore it's way more fun this way! It leaves you full of anticipation.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne
It's from today's good old DM, so we should take it with a grain of salt...

Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton designs her own dress | Mail Online
There aren't really any details just speculation and to be honest I always assumed Kate had a large hand in designing her dress or 'designed' it herself, makes sense....if you could, you would
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The People magazine with Jennifer Lopez on the cover, has a 10 page spread on the royal wedding....they mention that supposedly Kate is to have a preference for a Grace Kelly kind of dress. I thought Grace's dress was beautiful but I am wondering if Kate can pull that off. Maybe when she first came in the public eye, but now I think she should go for a sleek simple look.

Thoughts?
Hmmm....I'm trying to imagine Kate in Princess Grace's gown and it ain't fittin'!! Grace's gown was designed by a Hollywood costumer and it had a lot of drama fit for an actress. Grace's gown is beautiful and from some recent pictures I've seen of it, it has held up quite well.

I agree Kate should go for a sleek simple look. The dress she wore the day of the engagement announcement has the sleek lines that I have in mind. She seems to getting a little thin to me, though. I guess its just nerves. It's all mere speculation on all our parts. I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw Princess Victoria's gown. I loved the way it looked so clean cut and modern and traditional at the same time. And she wore that gown, it did not wear her. I hope the same for Kate. Regardless of whether it Oldfield or a flour sack, she will be a beautiful bride.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding