Saudi Succession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itzimane

City
Orlando
Country
United States
Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz is named second in succession to the throne

[FONT=&quot](CNN)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] -- Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah on Friday appointed Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz to be the nation's second deputy prime minister, making him second in line to the kingdom's throne, the state-run Saudi Press Agency said. Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz currently serves as Saudi Arabia's interior minister. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The royal decree "was issued with immediate effect," SPA said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The appointment of Abdullah's powerful half-brother to the post means that Nayef is now the country's crown prince in waiting and second in succession to be king.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Nayef, who currently serves as the interior minister, is considered more conservative than Abdullah, viewed by some as a liberal reformer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Nayef's appointment appears to reverse a trend that began in February, when Abdullah announced a major cabinet reshuffling in which many hard-line conservatives were dismissed and replaced with younger, more moderate members.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Those replaced included the minister of justice and minister of information.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The appointments, which represented the largest shakeup since Abdullah took power in 2005, were welcomed in Saudi Arabia as progressive moves by the king.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The current crown prince and deputy prime minister, Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, left Saudi Arabia a few months ago to undergo medical tests and surgery in New York. His health has been the subject of intense speculation in Saudi Arabia, but the Saudi government maintains his health has improved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Last week, media reports quoted Nayef downplaying the rumors about Sultan's health. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I would like to assure you that the crown prince's health is very good," he told reporters, according to the Arab News. "God willing, after the medical vacation he will return to the kingdom in full health."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Thursday's announcement answers a long-standing question regarding the country's plan for royal succession and represents the latest in a line of moves by the Saudi king that could have a long-lasting impact on the direction of the kingdom. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Nayef NOT named Crown Prince

Prince Sultan retains the title of Crown Prince (at least for the moment) and the position of First Deputy Prime Minister.
Prince Nayef has been appointed Second Deputy Prime Minister, making him second in line to the throne after Crown Prince Sultan.

This is what Wiki has to say about Prince Nayef:

HRH Prince Naif/Nayef bin Abdul Aziz (born 1933): The Second Deputy Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia. He is one of the six surviving members of the Sudairi Seven, all sons of King Ibn Saud and Hassa bint Ahmad Al Sudairi, which includes the Crown Prince.

Prince Nayef implemented the Al Saud decision to begin issuing women with identity cards in November 2001. The Directorate of Civil Status issued the first ID to women, thus making it much easier for women to carry out transactions - financial, legal and social - and is therefore considered a highly significant move. Previously women were registered on their husband's or father's ID cards.

Last edited:
Nayef, the soon to be Crown Prince is, shall we say, certainly critical of the United States and is no friend of Isreal so it will be interesting to see how successful diplomacy should be should he ever succeed King Abdullah.

Also, he is said to be one of the most conservative members of the Al Saud.

I certainly wish the incumbent monarch many more years to come.

Last edited:
Prince Nayef was deputy Crown Prince but it is not certain if he will be the next Crown Prince.

Im not sure if many are aware of the council the King created a few years ago, here is a good brief description of it

It is possible the king will for the first time put the decision of his heir to the Allegiance Council, a body Abdullah created as one of his reforms, made up of his brothers, half-brothers and nephews with a mandate to determine the succession. That would open the choice up to a degree of debate within the top echelons of the royal family.

Traditionally the king names his successor. Abdullah formed the council in order to modernize the process and give a wider voice in the choice.
- Source

Prince Sultan's body will be prayed on and buried on Tuesday afternoon in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia according to Saudi TV.

Last edited:
I dont know but all the senior royals are very old.

Abdullah is 88, Nayef is 78, Salman is 75.

They could play the wildcard and make Turki al-Faisal or Saud al-Faisal the next king.

Anyway RIP Prince Sultan bin-Abdul Aziz Al Sa'ud

I agree it's time for a fresh air in the royal family I think it's also very important to Saudi Arabia to have a CP and king from the new generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I somehow think that Turki al-Faisal bin-Faisal Al Sa'ud would make a good king because he is only 65, educated, calm and King Faisal was a good king who was progressive and powerful

Turki is not as 'hardcore' as Nayef

I hope the Kingdom becomes a constitutional kingdom where instead of the king, the Shura council has most of the power since Shura is consultation and that in turn can mean parliament. Because now the king can do whatever he wants pretty much although it's changing.

God willing for a more democratic Saudi Arabia!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saudi king to hold historic vote - Telegraph
Saudi Arabia's absolute monarch will make an historic concession to the principle of the ballot in coming days as a special council votes for the first time on who should succeed him as ruler.

Saudi Crown Prince Sultan Has Died - Bloomberg
Prince Nayef, born in 1934, is the most likely candidate for the crown prince position. King Abdullah, who is 87, underwent surgery earlier this month to relieve back pain after traveling to the U.S. in November for three months of medical care.

Analysis:Untested Saudi family council key to orderly succession | Reuters
The death of Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Sultan puts the spotlight on an untested system of succession set up by King Abdullah in 2006 to ensure stability in the world's top oil exporter.

Obviously it will be Nayef.

Dont dare dream about reform then.

If you want reform then probabaly it should be Salman or to a greater extent Saud Al Faisal, Khalid Al Faisal or Turki Al Faisal because the sons of King Faisal are the reformists

RIP, Crown Prince Sultan...

As for sons of King Abdul-Aziz: apart from current King, how many of them are still alive?
How old are they?

RIP, Crown Prince Sultan...

As for sons of King Abdul-Aziz: apart from current King, how many of them are still alive?
How old are they?

the ones I know:

Bandar(1923-) Unknown guy
Mu'said(1923-) Father of the guy who assassinated HM King Faisal
Mishaal(1927-) No politics only is a businessman
Talaal(1930-) Father of Al Waleed but is not in line. Was for a period pro Gemal Abdel Nasser before he was rehabilitated. 'Free Prince' movement.
Abdul Rahman(1931)- Minister of Airways i think.
Nayef(1933-) Interior minister. Conservative but has a tight grip and has thwarted radicals
Salman(1937-) Governor of Riyadh Province. Seems reformist and his son Sultan went into space

Few others

May God has mercy on Sultan's soul.I think most likely prince Nayef,minister of interior will be named the crown prince.

To what i read a while ago is that the new CP/future king needs to be a full Saudi national. I won't be surprised if Prince Salman is chosen or put as deputy crown prince.

Saudi Succession Committee under the spotlight as country mourns Crown Prince
Article

it's official:
Prince Nayef named as Crown Prince & Deputy Prime Minister
BEIRUT: Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah appointed Interior Minister Prince Nayef as his new heir in the world's top oil exporter, said a royal court statement read out on state television early Friday....Source

An obvious choice to name Prince Nayef. If he becomes king, he wont cancel out any of Abdullah's reforms because that will harm the stability of the Al Saud.

He is conservative and he is not the most healthy guy out there. A massive generation shift will come soon and it should pass on to the Al Faisals(sons of Faisal)

All the big senior princes are in their 70's at least

Well,now they chose Prince Nayef - I guess they didn´t find any other Saudi prince who is younger,more handsome,modern,innovative and humourous than he is (no claws intended) but seriously,I tought the people of Saudi Arabia want to see some real change and social reforms.... he looks just like a colourless copy of the conservative leaders before him....

Last edited:
An obvious choice to name Prince Nayef. If he becomes king, he wont cancel out any of Abdullah's reforms because that will harm the stability of the Al Saud.

He is conservative and he is not the most healthy guy out there. A massive generation shift will come soon and it should pass on to the Al Faisals(sons of Faisal)

All the big senior princes are in their 70's at least

The Al Faisals sons are from the same age group of Prince Nayef and many other royals so we would be back to square 1. Yes the Al Faisals would be one of the best choice to lead Saudi forward but also the younger generation could do so. I personally think it should go to the best and most suitable not to necessary to brother/s.

what most ppl dont know is that king AbdulAziz wrote that throne is for the most sutable of his sons and then grandsons and so on/ and that any son/grandson from a mother not from a tribale saudi family will not be put in this possition meaning that Turki alfaisal (his mother is turkish) can not be named crown prince/
Talal , mishaal, muteb , mugren the sons of king abdul Aziz cannot be as well.
and Blaueregel we are happy with this choice we want a leader that is fair and kind and also just / i dont think his good looks and humor will be the qualities we look for in a future king! and yes we are a conservative country and we like it.

I thought there are a lot of people who want to have more justice,equal opportunities and fairness-these are values that are also compatible with Islam because modern laws and new approaches to the problems of our time don´t mean that you need to abandon your moral and ethical principles.

what most ppl dont know is that king AbdulAziz wrote that throne is for the most sutable of his sons and then grandsons and so on/ and that any son/grandson from a mother not from a tribale saudi family will not be put in this possition meaning that Turki alfaisal (his mother is turkish) can not be named crown prince/
Talal , mishaal, muteb , mugren the sons of king abdul Aziz cannot be as well.
and Blaueregel we are happy with this choice we want a leader that is fair and kind and also just / i dont think his good looks and humor will be the qualities we look for in a future king! and yes we are a conservative country and we like it.

I thought that was written by the current King, King Abdullah, he set up the council in 2006 or 2008.

Saudi royal family split by Crown Prince appointment

Saudi royal family split by Crown Prince appointment - Telegraph
The tightly managed Saudi royal family has been split by the decision to appoint a hardline conservative as Crown Prince, with a senior prince resigning from its innermost council.
Prince Talal bin Abdul Aziz, the most liberal of the country's senior royals and father of one of the world's richest men, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, posted a statement on his website saying he was quitting the Allegiance Council.
[...]
It was no secret that Prince Talal was unhappy about the likely promotion of his half-brother, but it is likely that his resignation is as much about the failure to hold a wide-ranging debate in the Allegiance Council as the decision itself.

Senior Saudi royal resigns from Allegiance Council | Reuters

Prince Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Appointed Second In Line To Throne: August 2014

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's Prince Muqrin bin Abdulaziz, a former intelligence chief in the conservative Islamic kingdom, has been appointed deputy crown prince, Saudi state television reported on Thursday, making it more likely he will one day become king.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/27/us-saudi-crown-prince-idUSBREA2Q1GU20140327

Last edited:
:previous:
He is fine lilo ... Prince Muqrin will succeed him in case of vacancy GOD forbid or will succeed him & the king in case of vacancy of both at the same time. In other words prince Muqrin is now the second in line to the throne following crown prince Salman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom