Princess Victoria of Sweden's Official Visit to Saudi Arabia: January 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i haven't read all the postings in this topic.

To set the record straight with women in Saudi Arabia .....

“Women make up 50 percent of graduates in Saudi Arabia,” she said, “but represent only five percent of the labor force. That is a very low return on an investment. Female inclusion will boost the average household income and release a huge amount of entrepreneurial talent.”

the reason that is so, is because women can only work as school teachers teaching girls or as nurses. As nurses, I imagine they can only work in women's only and/or children's only hospitals/clinics.

Because Saudi Arabia holds 2 of the 3 holiest sites of the Islam religion (Mecca is the holiest of the holy, Medinah is the second holiest, and Jerusalem is the third), Saudi Arabia feels compelled to follow the Koran in the strictest sense of the word for religion abiding and law. It doesn't improve things that the Moslem sect that the royals follow are among the strictest in that religion, even stricter than Sunni and ... (the name escapes me).....

In essence what you have is a segregated society, where obedience of how Arabs comport themselves in public is measured by religious police. to give you an example, if a couple holds hands in public , they get punished. Western women who go out in public must wear a shawl type clothing over their wear, and the shawl must not show a V at the neck (which leads the eye to the cleavage) and it must extend to mid calf height. When I worked in Saudi, there were reports of European ladies being spray-painted with green paint by the religious police below the neck if they showed too much skin there.

Women can not drive. So, there was a lot of resentment that rose in the first Gulf War (~1991) when American lady soldiers drove all their trucks, and hence that is likely the reason why the Americans weren't welcome the second time around (2003) when they launched their attack on Iraq.

I would imagine that Victoria knows that she is in a country where she is the exception to the rule. I cannot imagine that she would get arrested for an impropiertary. Her embassy and Foreign Affairs would have 'walked through' her visit through every imagineable and un-imagineable detail. And remember that all press in Saudi is stage-managed. Government controlled. Even the pictures you see here have been thoroughly vetted before they have been released for publication. In closing, it should also be remembered that men are men especially in Saudi, and were Victoria to step out of line, it would be a great coup for that lucky man. I was once at a beach in Jeddah with some Swedes and Danes (men and their wives and kids), and most everyone was surprised how the Saudi men stood in the water - with their robes pulled up - in a semi-circle all around the beach and gawked at the ladies in their bikini's. A different culture ......

" Saudi Arabia feels compelled to follow the Koran in the strictest sense of the word for religion abiding and law. It doesn't improve things that the Moslem sect that the royals follow are among the strictest in that religion, even stricter than Sunni and ... (the name escapes me)....."

It's the nature of Wahhabbism. And it has only been around since the middle of the 18th century. So in the history of Islam, it is rather new. Sunni and Shi'i.

"In closing, it should also be remembered that men are men especially in Saudi, and were Victoria to step out of line, it would be a great coup for that lucky man. "

However, there are stereotypes about Western women as well...

Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria speaks to Saudi Royal Advisor Prince Abdul Aziz Bin Abdul Aziz during the third day of the Jeddah Economic Forum in Jeddah, 19 January 2004.

Attachments

• 2880903.jpg
    2880903.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 241
Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria speaks to Saudi Royal Advisor Prince Abdul Aziz Bin Abdul Aziz during the third day of the Jeddah Economic Forum in Jeddah, 19 January 2004.

Attachments

• 2880922.jpg
    2880922.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 231
There are pix of Rania at the same event but she is covered. Is it because they are indoors?

Indoors. Sure. Muslim and non-Muslim. Rania's neck is still shown though. Interesting design there. The way it goes across her neck like that. Higher expectation for a queen of a Muslim nation to be more observant of customs all of the time. Or most of the time. Stuff like that and what KC said about the places too.

From polfoto.dk
ch101184_guest.jpg

ch101185_guest.jpg

ch101186_guest.jpg

Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria is received by Saudi businessmen and women during a reception party at a hotel during the third day of the Jeddah Economic Forum, 19 January 2004 in Jeddah. Despite the leading role granted to women at the forum, they were segregated from men in the conference hall behind dividing screens according to the traditions of the Saudi kingdom, and the women participating in the gathering attended their own gala dinner separate from the men.

I figured it would be different because it would be a mixed crowd. O, well.

Attachments

• 2881242.jpg
    2881242.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 244
More walking.

Attachments

• 2881261.jpg
    2881261.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 241
Greeting

Attachments

• 2881302.jpg
    2881302.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 417

Attachments

• 2881277.jpg
    2881277.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 389
victoria is like the female version of her father! ;)

Nice photos, Lena.

Great pictures!

I think the royal who had the most number of international travels last year hopefully this year also is CP Victoria. She went various places in a week. She is indeed very sincere and hardworking. I would like to praise her for that.
She doesn't think of all the sacrifices she has to do. She is indeed an example to a lot of royals and even non-royals to be sincere and to voice out what we stand for provided that we have our freedom to speak but in a right way.

Loved her purse.

This was the first time I believe that so many women dominated the economic forum. I hope the trend continues and the Saudis lighten up a bit.
Their supression of women is a disgrace to Islam and I wish more Muslims would speak out against it.

"Their supression of women is a disgrace to Islam and I wish more Muslims would speak out against it."

Yes, especially when you consider that these attitudes towards women have nothing to do with Islam and in many ways are anti-Islamic.

Crown Princess Victoria walks with the Saudi Minister of Industry and Electricity, Ghazi al-Kusaibi

Attachments

• 2884610.jpg
    2884610.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 408
any news of D2 ?

are V and D2 still an item ?

BBC

"Saudi Arabia's highest religious authority has issued a stern rebuke to women who appeared at a conference unveiled in the presence of men.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul-Aziz al-Sheikh said the women's behaviour was shameful and warned of "grave consequences".

His remarks came after the country's leading businesswoman made a speech without a headscarf at an economic forum in the Red Sea port of Jeddah.

Lubna al-Olayan used the speech to call for female empowerment in the kingdom.

She said it was essential for Saudi Arabia's economic wellbeing for the potential of the country's female workforce to be unlocked.

"Without real change there can be no real progress," she said. "If we in Saudi Arabia want to progress we have no choice but to embrace change."

Her words were echoed by other women delegates.

Resistance to change

The men and women at the conference were separated by a screen, but the women were able to mix with the men in their section - something normally prohibited in Saudi Arabia.

The next day, Saudi newspapers showed pictures of the unveiled women and several editorials spoke of their behaviour as the beginning of the liberation of Saudi women.

But the grand mufti's statement made clear that the religious authorities would fight any change.

"I severely condemn this matter and warn of grave consequences," he said.

"What is even more painful is that such outrageous behaviour should have happened in Saudi Arabia, the land of the two holy shrines (Mecca and Medina)."

The remarks came as the Saudi authorities moved to introduce limited reforms.

Correspondents say the problem now is to continue to keep a lid on the cauldron of competing interests in the Islamic establishment and an increasingly impatient lobby demanding reform without the pressure boiling over into serious unrest. "

_39764159_olayan_story_afp.jpg

This is truly an amazing event. Here's another story on it--note the leading cleric is blind--just because he can't see the women, no one else should be able to? :) http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040121/1/3hf5q.html
"Pictures of women without the veil should not be published," he told AFP. "We need to go step-by-step. These things make it difficult for the government to make changes."

A delegation of Islamic sheikhs led by a blind cleric attended Wednesday's audience with the crown prince and petitioned him against the events in Jeddah.

Oh!Yes they can arrest her!!! :lol: The second minute after they think to do so,they can kiss good bye to VOLVOcars,SAAB machines,their water pumpers.and petroleum would stay to make company with other minerals inthe center of the earth for the next 2000 years!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by moody@Jan 24th, 2004 - 1:41 pm
Oh!Yes they can arrest her!!! :lol: The second minute after they think to do so,they can kiss good bye to VOLVOcars,SAAB machines,their water pumpers.and petroleum would stay to make company with other minerals inthe center of the earth for the next 2000 years!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's good to be the Queen...or in this case the Crown Princess! :p

Originally posted by moody@Jan 24th, 2004 - 1:41 pm
German Companies would be glad to replace them. So the would drive VW, BMW and Mercedes instead.

Anyway do you think that Vic would dare to travel to Saudi Arabia now!

do you know if she met any other royals while she was there

I would think that she got the protocal about what was expected of her as far as dress in Saudi Arabia. I know that the kingdom had a problem in the 90's with female soliders not being covered up. Maybe if she had gone outside of Riyadh and Jeddah she would of had to cover her head.

Back
Top Bottom