Royal Family of the Sultanate of Oman: Al Said Dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mapple

Nobility
City
Moscow
Country
Russia
OmanCoatofArms.gif

Coat of Arms of the Sultanate of Oman

~  ~

I'm interested... The present Sultan of Oman has no issue, has he nominated his eventual successor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mapple said:
I'm interested... The present Sultan of Oman has no issue, has he nominated his eventual successor?

I don't think he has named a successor but it is a hereditary sultan so my guess would be a son.

desertrosemrk said:
I don't think he has named a successor but it is a hereditary sultan so my guess would be a son.
IIRC he has none.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]Oman: A Monarchy with No Heir Apparent[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][size=-1]The Sultanate of Oman is the only Gulf monarchy with no heir apparent...[/size][/font]

http://www.theestimate.com/public/091099.html

(It is the last section on the page)​

The sultan of Oman is pursuing the development of his country by attempting to blend the old with the new.
On the seashore of the most eastern point of the Arabian peninsula, a huddle of British, French and Germans wades through rich white sand in the moonlight.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4758591.stm

The more I read about Oman the more I'd like to visit. I hope the Sultan's plans are a success and that the ME doesn't end up with another Dubai on its hands!

Omani Royal Family

I was just wondering about, generally, the Omani Royal Family. I know about Sultan Qaboos and the Princess who does the Early On and Later On shows, but who are the rest? What do they do? Any photos?

sheikha al farsi CEO for international research foundation MI Global Conference
Sheikha Al Farsi is not from the Omani Royal family, her NAME is Sheikha and not her title lol, and her surname is Al Farsi, not Al Said (which is the royal surname)

In Oman the ruling family are referred to as Sayyid (for male) and Sayyida (for female) not Sheikhs and Sheikhas, that's only for tribal rulers.

here's a link to a picture of one of the royal children, i think he's between 17-19, from his high school.

Facebook | Login (of course you can only see it if you're a member there :)

here's the picture for those who don't have a fb:

ImageShack - Hosting :: n5333055384574288343yc3.jpg

This is now the Sultan of Oman's successor is determined.
Several years before his death he writes down his succesor
in a secret envelope no one is allowed to open until he has
passed on.

Source Wikipedia

That's a bit over-simplistic. What Wiki says on the succession issue is this:

Unlike the heads of other Persian Gulf Arab states, Qābūs ibn Saˤīd has not publicly named an heir. Article 6 of the constitution actually provides that the Ruling Family Council chooses the successor after the throne becomes vacant, and that the sultan's preference, to be expressed in an official letter (which Qābūs maintains has already been sealed and delivered to the Defence Minister), is only resorted to in the event of lack of familial consensus.

The line of succession is unclear in Oman, where there is a history of contested successions and coups d'Etat. Sultan Qābūs ibn Saˤīd deposed his own father. His father had replaced his grandfather after what may have been a forced abdication. Qābūs ibn Saˤīd has no children and has three sisters. There are other male membes of the Omani royal family such as several paternal uncles who are still alive and their families. Using primogeniture the successor to Qābūs would appear to be the children of his late uncle, His Royal Highness Prince Tariq bin Taimur Al-Said, the former, first and only Prime Minister in Oman's history.

Last edited:
This is now the Sultan of Oman's successor is determined.
Several years before his death he writes down his succesor
in a secret envelope no one is allowed to open until he has
passed on.

Source Wikipedia

That is correct. However, if there is no written "secret" envelope then The Ruling Family Council decide: Article 6 of the constitution actually provides that the Ruling Family Council chooses the successor after the throne becomes vacant

That's a bit over-simplistic. What Wiki says on the succession issue is this:

Unlike the heads of other Persian Gulf Arab states, Qābūs ibn Saˤīd has not publicly named an heir. Article 6 of the constitution actually provides that the Ruling Family Council chooses the successor after the throne becomes vacant, and that the sultan's preference, to be expressed in an official letter (which Qābūs maintains has already been sealed and delivered to the Defence Minister), is only resorted to in the event of lack of familial consensus.

The line of succession is unclear in Oman, where there is a history of contested successions and coups d'Etat. Sultan Qābūs ibn Saˤīd deposed his own father. His father had replaced his grandfather after what may have been a forced abdication. Qābūs ibn Saˤīd has no children and has three sisters. There are other male membes of the Omani royal family such as several paternal uncles who are still alive and their families. Using primogeniture the successor to Qābūs would appear to be the children of his late uncle, His Royal Highness Prince Tariq bin Taimur Al-Said, the former, first and only Prime Minister in Oman's history.
Correction: His Majesty Sultan Qaboos has 2 sisters, not 3 (2 of his sisters have passed away)

Other than that, all that has been mentioned is true.

Okay let me understand this, Sultan Qaboos has two sisters and both of them passed away? Or did he have three sisters and two of them died? Aren't the paternal uncles of Sultan Qaboos hrmm quite old?

Okay let me understand this, Sultan Qaboos has two sisters and both of them passed away? Or did he have three sisters and two of them died? Aren't the paternal uncles of Sultan Qaboos hrmm quite old?

Actually I am wrong. His Majesty has two sisters; they have both passed away.

And yes, his uncles are quite old.

Actually I am wrong. His Majesty has 3 sister; they have all passed away.

And yes, his uncles are quite old.
Thanks, so Sultan Qaboos is the only son then, right? Do you know if his mother is still alive?
He seems to be a great leader, but also for some reason, it seems like he is lonely. Or maybe that's just a feeling I have.

Thanks, so Sultan Qaboos is the only son then, right? Do you know if his mother is still alive?
He seems to be a great leader, but also for some reason, it seems like he is lonely. Or maybe that's just a feeling I have.

Yes, he is the only son. His mother has passed away long ago.

He is a great leader indeed.

Hi this is my first post on THF but I love reading all the info:). Could anyone give me some details on the Sultan and his wife. Does he have only one wife (I thought I read somewhere he divorced one wife because she did not give him a son.......was that susan?) I also read that she is American? Does anyone know how thay met or is she a private person (i.e not in the media). Thanks in advance:flowers:

Welcome to the Forums cherish! :flowers:
This is what Wiki has to say:

In 1976 Qaboos ibn Sa‘id married his cousin, Kamila, née Sayyidah Nawwal bint Tariq (born 1951), daughter of HH Sayyid Tariq ibn Taymur, but the marriage soon ended in divorce. He has no children.

The Sultan of Oman is currently hosting a visit from the Sultan of Brunei

ONA NEWS

Hi this is my first post on THF but I love reading all the info:). Could anyone give me some details on the Sultan and his wife. Does he have only one wife (I thought I read somewhere he divorced one wife because she did not give him a son.......was that susan?) I also read that she is American? Does anyone know how thay met or is she a private person (i.e not in the media). Thanks in advance:flowers:

Hi Cherish,

Susan is in fact originally american but is married to one of the Sultan's cousins not the Sultan himself. She is indeed a public figure and is always seen at gallery openings and is very interested in Art. Many from the royal family are active public figures but you might not find much of them on the net. Sultan qaboos was married only once and that was to his cousin.

Attached are photos of His Majesty his Father and grandfathers.

Attachments

• 435.jpg
    435.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,152
:omanflag:
HRH Sultan Quaboos celebrates his 69th birthday today.
Here's to a long and healthy life!

Back
Top Bottom