Royal Family of the Sultanate of Oman: Al Said Dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Khalifa bin Zayed, Sultan Qaboos hold talks

...The two leaders reviewed during their meeting the historic fraternal relations and ways to enhance them for the interest of the peoples of the UAE and Oman.

The talks also touched on issues of concern to the two countries and to the GCC and Arab countries. The two leaders also exchanged views on the current developments both regionally and internationally...
Article ** Picture

the Royal Family of Oman is a mystery for me ^^...~

i meet some of them while studying in Muscat..
but there is not much personal information about them..

about HMS Qaboos, I heard he has a son living in UK..!!??>> heard from father who have royal friends..!!

but anyway even if he had one, the Ruling Family Council chooses the successor after the throne becomes vacant, and that the sultan's preference, to be expressed in an official letter (he will not give a name but the qualities and characteristics he wants the next leader to have)..and of course that person should be a royal member ^^...~

:previous:
The formailities of succession in Oman is detailed in post #12.

you can know about the Succession from the White Book of the basic law of Oman..

in Part One:

- Article 5 [Form of Government]:
The system of government is an hereditary Sultanate in which succession passes to a male descendant of Sayyid Turki bin Said bin Sultan. It is a condition that the male who is chosen to rule should be an adult Muslim of sound mind and a legitimate son of Omani Muslim parents.

- Article 6 [Succession]:
(1) Within three days of the position of Sultan becoming vacant, the Ruling Family Council shall determine upon who will succeed to the Throne.
(2) If the Ruling Family Council does not agree upon a successor, the Defence Council shall confirm the appointment of the person designated by the Sultan in his letter to the Family Council.

- Article 7 [Oath of the Sultan]:
Before exercising his powers the Sultan shall swear the following oath at a joint session of the Oman and Defence Councils:
"I swear by Almighty God to respect the Basic Law of the State and the Laws, to fully protect the interests and freedoms of the citizens, and to preserve the independence of the country and its territorial integrity."

I'm wondering what will be the future of our Oman god may save our Sultan and guide him to the path of peace and wisdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salaam,

Why the Sultan of Oman does not have children?

I observed in most Arab cultures, the tendency to have as many children thru as many wives as one of the reason to propagate their bloodlines and to carry their names.

I would think that he would remarry to enable him to have children if he doesn't have one w the first wife, especially since he needs an heir to his Kingdom. I am quite puzzled by this royal family.

The Sultan is a really nice man; he was the FIRST ARAB leader to give women the same rights as that of men! Kudos to the Sultan... :flowers:. Not to mention he was the FIRST AND ONLY ARAB leader to have women in demanding decision making positions...not the warm and fuzzy ARTS......Like other ARAB states!

When I worked as a foreign service officer, he was very nice to all the officers within my unit as well as other units. The Sultan would invite us to eat at his palace in Muscat. Once again... VERY NICE MAN! Lastly, for the record he has won numerous leadership awards, that he doesn't post all over the net or wear on his sleeves. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

JMO of a man who is a hero, changing the perception of MIDDLE EASTERN WOMEN, and for the record...I live in the USA not the middle east.

Oman mourns Thuwaini bin Shihab

Musqat, June 27 (BNA) Omani Sultanate Court mourned today Thuwaini bin Shihab Al Said, the Special Representative of Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman.
Thuwaini bin Shihab died this morning, reported Omani news agency. The Court issued statement mourining Thuwaini bin Shihab Al Said, the Special Representative of Sultan Qaboos, saying that the late devoted his life to his country. EM.

Bahrain News Agency

Salaam,

Why the Sultan of Oman does not have children?

I observed in most Arab cultures, the tendency to have as many children thru as many wives as one of the reason to propagate their bloodlines and to carry their names.

I would think that he would remarry to enable him to have children if he doesn't have one w the first wife, especially since he needs an heir to his Kingdom. I am quite puzzled by this royal family.

H.M. got married once (in 1975) but soon later divorced. He has no children.

The Sultan is a really nice man; he was the FIRST ARAB leader to give women the same rights as that of men! Kudos to the Sultan... :flowers:. Not to mention he was the FIRST AND ONLY ARAB leader to have women in demanding decision making positions...not the warm and fuzzy ARTS......Like other ARAB states!

When I worked as a foreign service officer, he was very nice to all the officers within my unit as well as other units. The Sultan would invite us to eat at his palace in Muscat. Once again... VERY NICE MAN! Lastly, for the record he has won numerous leadership awards, that he doesn't post all over the net or wear on his sleeves. :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

JMO of a man who is a hero, changing the perception of MIDDLE EASTERN WOMEN, and for the record...I live in the USA not the middle east.

Well said. :)

Musqat, June 27 (BNA) Omani Sultanate Court mourned today Thuwaini bin Shihab Al Said, the Special Representative of Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman.
Thuwaini bin Shihab died this morning, reported Omani news agency. The Court issued statement mourining Thuwaini bin Shihab Al Said, the Special Representative of Sultan Qaboos, saying that the late devoted his life to his country. EM.

Bahrain News Agency

I heard about this today in the news as well. May he rest in peace.

Bio on H.H. Sayyid Thuwaini bin Shihab Al-Said

Thuwaini bin Shihab died this morning, reported Omani news agency

H.H. Sayyid Thuwaini bin Shihab Al-Said. b. at Muscat, 1924, educ. Saidayyah Sch., Muscat, in Baghdad and Bahrain. Teacher at Saidayyah Sch.1941-1945, Headmaster 1945-1948, Clerk in the Sultan's Office 1948-1955, Dep. Governor of Muscat 1955-1970, Governor of Muscat 1970-1979, Personal Advisor to the Sultan 1970-1972, Mbr. Supreme Cncl. for Economic Planning and Devel. 1972, Chair. Interim Planning Cncl. 1972, Mbr. Cncl. of Ministers and Personal Rep. of the Sultan 1985. Chair. Higher Cttee. for National Day Celebrations, Presdt. National Org. for Scouts & Guides since 1976, Ghallah Wentworth Golf Club 1982-1989, Oman Japan Friendship Assoc., etc. m. Zeana. He has, two sons and a daughter:
  • i) H.H. Sayyid Hamad bin Thuwaini Al-Said. Sec-Gen. of the Office of the Personal Representative of H.M. the Sultan.
  • ii) H.H. Sayyid Harub bin Thuwaini Al-Said.
  • i) H.H. Sayyida Aliya bint Thuwaini Al Said. Hon. Presdt. Al Noor Assoc. for the Blind 2007.

H.H. Sayyid Thuwaini bin Shihab Al-Said. b. at Muscat, 1924, educ. Saidayyah Sch., Muscat, in Baghdad and Bahrain. Teacher at Saidayyah Sch.1941-1945, Headmaster 1945-1948, Clerk in the Sultan's Office 1948-1955, Dep. Governor of Muscat 1955-1970, Governor of Muscat 1970-1979, Personal Advisor to the Sultan 1970-1972, Mbr. Supreme Cncl. for Economic Planning and Devel. 1972, Chair. Interim Planning Cncl. 1972, Mbr. Cncl. of Ministers and Personal Rep. of the Sultan 1985. Chair. Higher Cttee. for National Day Celebrations, Presdt. National Org. for Scouts & Guides since 1976, Ghallah Wentworth Golf Club 1982-1989, Oman Japan Friendship Assoc., etc. m. Zeana. He has, two sons and a daughter:
  • i) H.H. Sayyid Hamad bin Thuwaini Al-Said. Sec-Gen. of the Office of the Personal Representative of H.M. the Sultan.
  • i) H.H. Sayyida Aliya bint Thuwaini Al Said. Hon. Presdt. Al Noor Assoc. for the Blind 2007.
Actually, he has three sons and two daughters:

• iii) H.H. Sayyid Mohammed bin Thuwaini Al-Said.
  • ii) H.H. Sayyida Thuraya bint Thuwaini Al Said.
FYI.

@ Commander-in-Chief - thanks for updating the bio :flowers::flowers::flowers:

@ Commander-in-Chief - there is rumors that the Sultan of Oman has teenage sons...I don't believe this information to be true. Could you please shed some light?

Thanks... :flowers:
Actually, he has three sons and two daughters:
FYI.

@ Commander-in-Chief - thanks for responding. The Sultan is one of my favorite rulers in the Middle East; he is truly an excuptally leader regardless of what people may say about him. He is a ruler that is connected to the needs of his people, put them first as well as being the first Middle East ruler to give women the SAME rights as men. No other part of the ME has such laws.

And for the record..I'm American and I love this guy...;););)

:omanflag:
HM Sultan Qaboos celebrates his 57th birthday today.

My good friend lucien, just wanted to correct your post; it was actually H.M.'s 70th birthday (18th November 1940).

:omanflag:

I gave HM the gift of youth again,but alas...you noticed...:)

I'm sorry,I mixed up with my own age,HM graciously shares his birthday with me.
And he most certainly doesn't look his age,time has been very kind to him so on
looks only he could very well be what I had in mind.

Other good news from Oman,I'm very happy with that!!

Omani's come out to support Sultan - News Summary ROYALBLOG.NL

Courtesy dear HJA

HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum was champion owner in UK of pure-bred Arab racehorses in 2010. All registered pure-bred Arab racehorses are listed on the official website Welcome to the Official ARO Website along with brief details of pedigree plus owner.

In 2011, it looks like Sheikh Hamdan's main rival will be The Cavalry Club of Oman. Does anyone know whether the horses belong to the Omani Army or to Sultan Qaboos or whether this is a club formed by UK-based Omani diplomats from the cavalry ?

Thanks

BankMuscat to showcase
In a tribute to His Majesty Sultan Qaboos on the occasion of the 41st Renaissance day, BankMuscat is all set to host a photography exhibition on July 26.
The ‘Qaboos Oman’ exhibition will feature unique and rare photographs of His Majesty the Sultan by Royal photographer Salim Al Hashli at the bank’s head office. The opening ceremony will be attended by Royal family members, ministers, under-secretaries, corporate executives and VIP customers.

HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said has sent a cable of condolence to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia on the death of Prince Khalid bin Yazeed bin Abdullah bin Abdulrahman Al Saud. - Times of Oman

Oman opens first opera house in Gulf

Muscat: The Royal Opera House of Oman, the first of its kind in the Arabian Peninsula, was officially opened on Wednesday by the country’s ruler H M Sultan Qaboos.

himself a music enthusiast.
The opera house promises an impressive first season, with planned performances by Placido Domingo, Andrea Bocelli and soprano Renee Fleming. Also on the agenda are music performances by cellist Yo Yo Ma and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

His Majesty opens Royal Opera House

MUSCAT — His Majesty Sultan Qaboos presided over the official opening of the Royal Opera House Muscat yesterday evening.
His Majesty the Sultan, on the occasion of the opening of the Opera House, said: “Oman throughout its long history has played prominent roles in various cultural fields and the time has come now to cap that rich march by means of adopting concepts of international culture and by effective contribution to its promotion.
His Majesty opens Royal Opera House | Oman Observer

HM confers medals of honour on opera director, conductor

MUSCAT — His Majesty Sultan Qaboos conferred medals of honour to Franco Zeffirelli and Placido Domingo, director and conductor respectively of the inaugural opera, in appreciation of their global stature in
the field of musical and performance arts and for their distinguished participation in the official opening ceremony of the Royal Opera House
Muscat.

HM confers medals of honour on opera director, conductor | Oman Observer

Arab Women’s Forum underscores development in admin sector
MUSCAT — The first three-day Arab Women’s Forum on Arab Women’s Role in Administrative Development, to be held in the Sultanate, which coincides with today’s Oman Women’s Day, was officially inaugurated under the auspices of Dr Madeeha bint Ahmed al Shaibaniyah, Minister of Education, and patronage of Shaikh Khalid bin Omar al Marhoon, Minister of Civil Service, at the Al Bustan Palace Hotel yesterday

Exemplifying this, a screened documentary that began with a speech given by His Majesty the Sultan on the active role of women in employment and in the social context, highlighted the various occupations taken up by Omani women in the Sultanate — ranging from the armed services, professional and technical occupations, to political positions, as entrepreneurs, sportswomen and in athletics.

Arab Women

Back
Top Bottom