Prince of Wales: Visit to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia & Qatar - February 8-12, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
"At the request of Her Majesty's Government, The Prince of Wales will undertake official visits to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the State of Kuwait, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the State of Qatar and the United Arab Emirates from Saturday 7th February to Thursday 12th February 2015."

The Prince of Wales will meet with:
-The King of Jordan and members of the Jordanian Royal Family
-The Amir of Kuwait
-Senior members of the Saudi Royal Family
-The Emir of Qatar
-The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi

Press Release

Interesting that Camilla is not accompanying Prince Charles.

^^^ I ask that question on Twitter but didn't get an answer as to why Camilla isn't going

^^^ I ask that question on Twitter but didn't get an answer as to why Camilla isn't going

I think this is not one of the usual visits. Charles has close links with each of these regimes, and may well be going on a very specific working tour. 5 days, 5 countries.

Plus doesn't Camilla have problems in really hot countries so that maybe another reason why she isn't going.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Plus doesn't Camilla have problems in really hot countries so that maybe another reason why she isn't going.

It has not stopped her having to make several trips to warm countries over the last 10 years.

I'm sorry because this is going to come out rude but can't he go somewhere else?
This is his 12th visit since 1986. Wasn't he there quite recently within the last two years or am I thinking of something else?

I just think there are other places he could visit.

Prince Andrew was just there two months ago and Charles last visited in 2012. I find it slightly odd that Charles has never been to China and apparently doesn't like their record on human rights and yet his is best friends with the Saudis and travels to the middle east regularly despite the regions appalling human rights record

Last edited:
I'm sorry because this is going to come out rude but can't he go somewhere else?
This is his 12th visit since 1986. Wasn't he there quite recently within the last two years or am I thinking of something else?

"At the request of Her Majesty's Government, The Prince of Wales will undertake official visits to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the State of Kuwait, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the State of Qatar and the United Arab Emirates from Saturday 7th February to Thursday 12th February 2015."
Your Government wants to see prince Charles visiting these countries. You can ask your MP why relations with these countries are so important for UK.

Saudi Arabia is largest purchaser of British military hardware and a major oil exporter. I'm fully aware of their importance.
But one of the reasons given as to why Charles has never visited China (UK and China did £43bn in trade last year) is because of the country's record on human rights. Charles has issues with China's treatment of Tibet for example

These visits are good for the jewellery vaults of the British royal family and the UK government to conduct its dirty business. It may look bad, but it is just harsh realities.

Last edited:
The answer is very much in the announcement. It is for the government. The royals dont/cant make these visits at their own whim n fancy. There may be many reasons the government wants to engage those countries. For strategic alliances or business or oil or simply to dump weapons. The royal in question will be just a high profile showpiece face of that delegation and event.
And come on, do u think US/UK really give a damn for human rights... Its all part of the play

The spouses don't always attend these foreign trips.

Your Government wants to see prince Charles visiting these countries. You can ask your MP why relations with these countries are so important for UK.

No need to be rude really, it's quite obvious from the locations why my government has asked Charles to go. But this is a forum where opinions are voiced and I voiced mine.

I think it's rather refreshing to see that Prince Charles actually makes an effort and that his inter-faith rhetoric isn't mere talk. We don't see that from many other western royals.
Let's not also forget that the british pretty much redrew the map of the middle east after WWI and have always had a vested interest in the region. It's counter-productive and condescending to paint the whole region with a single brush. Yes their regimes may not be perfect but how long did it take the west to reach the point where it could enjoy the liberties it has today? The 20th century saw plenty of systematic racism, disenfranchisement and even genocide in these societies.
It's easy to be cynical as some of the other comments in this thread demonstrate but the way to move forward is dialogue and engagement. Not by shunning societies because we think they're some how beneath us.
If Charles' personal relationships can help in that process then surely that's a good thing.

Saudi Arabia is largest purchaser of British military hardware and a major oil exporter. I'm fully aware of their importance.
But one of the reasons given as to why Charles has never visited China (UK and China did £43bn in trade last year) is because of the country's record on human rights. Charles has issues with China's treatment of Tibet for example

Human rights? What a joke. Saudi Arabia and many of these ME Countries are hardly bastions of human rights, especially for women. Women are treated as chattel, they cannot drive, they must cover themselves in horrendous ways. People are stoned to death for adultery, and lashed for petty crimes. Human rights. Try oil and loot. Al Bina is right.

Yes Countess your right
It's all about the oil otherwise no one would worry about them or care what they did. Sad but true IMO

It's all about the oil otherwise no one would worry about them or care what they did. Sad but true IMO

Perhaps that is your sentiment but you cannot speak for billions of other human beings on this planet. There are many who do care about their fellow humans who live in volatile regions and are victims of their regimes. The citizens of some of these countries have more to complain about their governments than you ever will.

These visits are good for the jewellery vaults of the British royal family and the UK government to conduct its dirty business. It may look bad, but it is just harsh realities.

Jewels that are given to the royal family today is owned by the crown, not of the royal family personally.

The answer is very much in the announcement. It is for the government. The royals dont/cant make these visits at their own whim n fancy. There may be many reasons the government wants to engage those countries. For strategic alliances or business or oil or simply to dump weapons. The royal in question will be just a high profile showpiece face of that delegation and event.

You are right. This is the government's decision, not Charles's.

Saudi Arabia and many of these ME Countries are hardly bastions of human rights, especially for women. Women are treated as chattel, they cannot drive, they must cover themselves in horrendous ways. People are stoned to death for adultery, and lashed for petty crimes.

I agree with you in this.

@ClarenceHouse: The Prince of Wales has arrived in Kuwait for a third day of engagements on his visit to the Middle East @ukinkuwait http://t.co/09JXpSfNR7

EDIT- another picture, with the Emir of Kuwait

@britishroyals: Via @pressassoc: Prince Charles meets the Emir of Kuwait
http://t.co/ypvhevVCMt by @PARoyal http://t.co/OE4mcWLUdf

Last edited:
Last edited:
Prince Charles brought up the case of the imprisoned blogger in Saudi Arabia. I respect the fact that he doesn't shy away from controversy. I hope Charles was able to influence King Salman.

Prince Charles raises Raif Badawi case with Saudi king | World news | The Guardian

I am very glad that Charles has been able to at least bring the case up and I hope it will have some influence too. This is an example of how greatly people should value Charles a little more, his influence and ability to raise these subjects is limited, but anything is better than ignoring a difficult subject.

I agree. In this way he can maybe intermediate and do something useful! He has my whole admiration for this...

Back
Top Bottom