Charles and Camilla: Visit to Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the UAE - February 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Camilla and scarf go down a storm in desert

Appearing unflappable on a royal tour when the elements are against you is impossible, as the Duchess of Cornwall discovered during a sand storm at a Bahrain air base yesterday.

Also a link to pictures of the tour in the article.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Historical UAE-UK relations praised

ABU DHABI — General Shaikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, met yesterday evening Prince Charles of Wales at a dinner hosted in the Emirates Palace Hotel.

Skydragon said:
Can you imagine the skill and craftsmanship involved in making the glass picture that was given to TRH?
It's a scale model, and quite impressive. Imagine having to dust it! :ohmy:

Burger Off! Prince Urges Big Mac Ban

Prince Charles has suggested banning fast food chains like McDonald's is the key to improving children's eating habits. He targeted the fast food chain as he attended the launch of a public health awareness campaign aimed at fighting diabetes.

Charles has a dig at McDonald's

The Prince of Wales has criticised leading fast food chain McDonald's during the launch of a public health awareness campaign aimed at fighting diabetes in the United Arab Emirates

"The UAE has the second highest prevalence of diabetes in the world with more than 20 per cent of those aged 20 to 79 already diagnosed with the illness, while 40 per cent of the population are prone to the disease"

Warren said:
It's a scale model, and quite impressive. Imagine having to dust it! :ohmy:
Mmmm, you pull that little bit of fluff and break a whole tower off! :ROFLMAO:

He really isn't the world's most photogenic person, is he?:D

He does appear to be giving his Larry Grayson impression. "Shut that door Camilla".

BeatrixFan said:
He does appear to be giving his Larry Grayson impression. "Shut that door Camilla".

Sorry, guys. Once again I don´t understand that. :sad:

Larry Grayson was a very camp comedian in the 70s and 80s who stood with one hand on his hip and one arm outstretched with a limp wrist. His catchphrase was "Shut that Door", delivered in an extremely effeminate voice. Think Mr Humphries from 'Are You Being Served?'.

ysbel said:
I'm curious - a lot has been made mention of the lack of tiaras on these Middle Eastern trips but I have seen the Middle Eastern queens with tiaras.

Does Raina and the other royal Muslim women just wear their tiaras at Western events are are tiaras a Middle Eastern custom also?

Only one country in the Middle East has a queen, and that's Jordan. Even Morocco and Bahrain, which in the last few years elevated its emir to king, don't have queens.

As far as tiaras go, the Moroccan royals rarely wear their tiaras — usually only at their own weddings. Even when they travel abroad on state visits they don't tend to use one.

The Jordanian royals do wear tiaras but usually only abroad. I can't think of any occasion during Abdullah's reign where the royals have worn tiaras inside Jordan. Not even a state visit. Thus, their preference appears to be not to wear them when at home. That might be why their tiaras are so lackluster. The only exceptions would be the three recent queens — the late Alia, Noor and Rania. Haya inherited Alia's stunning tiara (reportedly worth some $2 million dollars or pounds, I can't remember which). Rania borrowed it for some time when her husband first came to the throne in 1999, using it alongside what appeared to be a converted diamond necklace before finally getting something more regal, which she debuted in the Nethlerands last October/November. As for Noor, she has a couple of decent tiaras.

The Muslim royals who do tend to wear their tiaras a lot belong to the Asian monarchies such as Malaysia and Brunei. They wear tiaras both at home and abroad — and even on top of their hijabs.

Due to the generally tiara-less nature of the Middle Eastern monarchies, foreign royals who visit the region don't have to take their tiaras with them. They won't need them. I think only Elizabeth II has consistently worn a tiara on visits to the area. But then, she's a breed apart. What the Middle Eastern royals (especially the Gulf countries) do like, though, are other kinds of jewelry such as earrings and necklaces. Those can be quite stunning. Their appreciation for fine jewelry might be why they often give it as a gift to royal visitors, especially from Great Britain.

Thank you everyone for the photos. Charles and Camilla seem very content together and it's snice to see them being so affectionate.

Camilla's wardrobe has been quite boring, aside from recycling outfits used very recently (on the Pakistan visit), she's opted for the same style almost everywhere. The only outfit to stand out, is the gorgeous blue long coat and dress worn at the reception hosted by Shaikah Sabeeka.

Last edited:
Little_star said:
Thank you everyone for the photos. Charles and Camilla seem very content together and it's snice to see them being so affectionate.

Camilla's wardrobe has been quite boring, aside from recycling outfits used very recently (on the Pakistan visit), she's opted for the same style almost everywhere. The only outfit to stand out, is the gorgeous blue long coat and dress worn at the reception hosted by Shaikah Sabeeka.

I also wish to say thank-you for the photos :flowers:

As for Camilla's wardrobe, I applaud her for recycling outfits. It have always thought it was a terrible waste to wear expensive outfits only once, and I enjoy seeing some of my favourite outfits worn again.

As for the style, I think that makes very good sense. It looks very comfortable and is a local style so compliments the host countries, and meets the requirement for modest dress, and the scarves are on hand to whip around her head if needs be. I also think the outfits are very flattering on her and the colours perfect. I have no complaints about Camilla's wardrobe.

Though I still wish she really had worn that red dress! :lol:

Roslyn said:
I also wish to say thank-you for the photos :flowers:

As for Camilla's wardrobe, I applaud her for recycling outfits. It have always thought it was a terrible waste to wear expensive outfits only once, and I enjoy seeing some of my favourite outfits worn again.

As for the style, I think that makes very good sense. It looks very comfortable and is a local style so compliments the host countries, and meets the requirement for modest dress, and the scarves are on hand to whip around her head if needs be. I also think the outfits are very flattering on her and the colours perfect. I have no complaints about Camilla's wardrobe.

Though I still wish she really had worn that red dress! :lol:
I think it's great that she recycles, it's just alot of those clothes were worn so recently on her last big trip abroad! It would have been nice to see her wearing something different.

As for the style, well, the long trousers and jackets are ok, but she could have branched out a bit more.

BIG EARS V BIG MAC

CHEFS BACK CHARLES'S MCD ATTACK

TOP celebrity chefs last night rallied behind Prince Charles's claim that McDonald's should be banned to encourage healthy eating.

Strange that everyone was praising Jamie Oliver for basically saying the same thing and now they are horrified that Charles also thinks children should be encouraged not to eat the stuff! :wacko:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charles visits Dubai today

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and heir to the British throne, accompanied by his wife Camilla Parker Bowles, Duchess of Cornwall, will arrive in Dubai today

Adamari said:
Only one country in the Middle East has a queen, and that's Jordan. Even Morocco and Bahrain, which in the last few years elevated its emir to king, don't have queens.

As far as tiaras go, the Moroccan royals rarely wear their tiaras — usually only at their own weddings. Even when they travel abroad on state visits they don't tend to use one.

The Jordanian royals do wear tiaras but usually only abroad. I can't think of any occasion during Abdullah's reign where the royals have worn tiaras inside Jordan. Not even a state visit. Thus, their preference appears to be not to wear them when at home. That might be why their tiaras are so lackluster. The only exceptions would be the three recent queens — the late Alia, Noor and Rania. Haya inherited Alia's stunning tiara (reportedly worth some $2 million dollars or pounds, I can't remember which). Rania borrowed it for some time when her husband first came to the throne in 1999, using it alongside what appeared to be a converted diamond necklace before finally getting something more regal, which she debuted in the Nethlerands last October/November. As for Noor, she has a couple of decent tiaras.

The Muslim royals who do tend to wear their tiaras a lot belong to the Asian monarchies such as Malaysia and Brunei. They wear tiaras both at home and abroad — and even on top of their hijabs.

Due to the generally tiara-less nature of the Middle Eastern monarchies, foreign royals who visit the region don't have to take their tiaras with them. They won't need them. I think only Elizabeth II has consistently worn a tiara on visits to the area. But then, she's a breed apart. What the Middle Eastern royals (especially the Gulf countries) do like, though, are other kinds of jewelry such as earrings and necklaces. Those can be quite stunning. Their appreciation for fine jewelry might be why they often give it as a gift to royal visitors, especially from Great Britain.

Thanks Adamari for that explanation. I was a bit surprised since the Empress of Iran had such extravagant headgear.

Camilla bends to watch Arab women at work in the old town area of Bastakia.
Pic One

Camilla laughs as six year old Ibrahim Shezada sticks his tongue out during her visit to a special needs school .

SNS One
SNS Two

Charles and Camilla look at a wood carver's toolbox as they visit the old town area of Bastakia.
One

Charles and Camilla

Tucking In

There are more here at Getty

Last edited:
ysbel said:
Thanks Adamari for that explanation. I was a bit surprised since the Empress of Iran had such extravagant headgear.

I totally forgot about the Iranian royals when writing my post, probably because I was focusing on current monarchies as opposed to deposed ones. Thanks for the reminder.

During the reign of the last shah of Iran, Farah Pahlavi was an empress, or shahbanu. She equalled a queen consort in terms of rank, which put her on par with Jordanian queens. But to my knowledge, all other consorts of royal rulers in Middle Eastern and North African countries are of lower rank.

During their time, the Iranian royal women had sumptuous collections of jewelry, especially Farah. Her jewelry was outstanding, especially her tiaras. She had a better collection of jewelry — and tiaras — than probably all of the recent queens of Jordan combined. When she fled Iran with her husband in 1979, however, she left all or most of that jewelry behind.

I don't think I've seen Farah wear any tiaras since then, but I could be mistaken. I don't follow her activities much. During their time in Iran, the Pahlavi women used tiaras in much the same way the Asian and European monarchies do, including during state visits both at home and abroad.

Last edited:
milla Ca, the article from the PoW-site made me really laugh. I think you can have a lot of fun with the duchess. And a wonderful pic from getty with them both.:flowers:

Thank you all for the wonderful pics. :flowers: I really have enjoyed watching the Prince and the Duchess on this trip.

Don't want to sound mean, but sometimes I get the impression the Duchess doesn't get enough to eat at home so she has to pick it up elsewhere ... :lol:

Charles&Camilla

Was Prince Charles and Camilla already in Saudi Arabia?

I thought they were going to Bosnia today so to be honest, I haven't a clue where Charles and Camilla are right now.

Back
Top Bottom