State Funeral HM King Peter II, Queen Alexandra, Queen Maria, and HRH Prince Andreaj

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know anything of the orders which are on the caskets? I noticed that HM King Peter has that of Saint Prince Lazarus placed on his coffin. It looked like HM Queen Maria had a Blue and White order, which I have seen on HRH CP Katherine a few times. I believe that this is a family order? Both HM Queen Alexandra and HRH Prince Andrej had what looked to be orders in the form of badges or stars rather than sashes. So, I am not sure what they are or what they may have been as I am not sure what was awarded, and when. Does anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
Which foreign Royals participated besides the Royal couple of Greece, the Royal couple of Bulgaria, the Hereditary couple of romania?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo9VqjbjYZg

Their Majesties King Simeon and Queen Margarita of the Bulgarians
Their Majesties King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes
Their Royal Highnesses Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu of Romania
Their Imperial and Royal Highnesses Archduke Sandor and Archduchess Herta of Austria
His Highness Sheikh Abdulla Bin Hamad Al Khalifa of Bahrain
Their Royal Highnesses The Margraf and Margrafin of Baden
Their Serene Highnesses Prince Philipp Erasmus and Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein
His Royal Highness Prince Mabandla Dlamini of Swaziland
Princess Ira Von Fürstenberg
His Serene Highness Prince Pierre D' Arenberg.

I was surprised to see that there was no one there from Britain -actually I was really, really surprised at that. HM the Queen is CP Aleksander II god mother and both families seem pretty close. So I am surprised that a representative from the family of any kind was not present.

I was sad to see that Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the other more prominent houses did not send anyone. I find it hard to believe the HRH just refused to send an invite. These were reigning monarchs!

I was surprised that the US didn't send an ambassador or a higher representative as well. Just my thoughts.

It was a beautiful service for a good king and queen as well as a queen beloved by her people and her sons.

Their Majesties King Simeon and Queen Margarita of the Bulgarians
Their Majesties King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes
Their Royal Highnesses Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu of Romania
Their Imperial and Royal Highnesses Archduke Sandor and Archduchess Herta of Austria
His Highness Sheikh Abdulla Bin Hamad Al Khalifa of Bahrain
Their Royal Highnesses The Margraf and Margrafin of Baden
Their Serene Highnesses Prince Philipp Erasmus and Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein
His Royal Highness Prince Mabandla Dlamini of Swaziland
Princess Ira Von Fürstenberg
His Serene Highness Prince Pierre D' Arenberg.

I believe that Princess Ira is a Serene Highness also ;)

USCtrojan

I can understand why the British, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian royal families did not attend and why there were no American representative.

This was a reburial of several people who died at different times several years ago.

Would anyone expect people to attend the reburial of Richard III? (I know centuries have past since he died.)

Who attended the reburial of the Romanov family?

Peter II selected his final resting place only to have his son move him. It might stir some unneeded controversy to any American representative who might have attended.

The American Ambassador seems a high enough official for such an event.

Now that I think about it -perhaps the order placed on/near HM Queen Alexandra's coffin is one of the Greek royal orders? Is there a balkin order expert around on these boards somewhere?

USCtrojan

I can understand why the British, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian royal families did not attend and why there were no American representative.

This was a reburial of several people who died at different times several years ago.

Would anyone expect people to attend the reburial of Richard III? (I know centuries have past since he died.)

Peter II selected his final resting place only to have his son move him. It might stir some unneeded controversy to any American representative who might have attended.

Yes, I understand as much. However, I figured that since this was a state funeral (re burial or not) some of the more prominent royals would come and support the family.

Peter II, his wife, mother and brother did not choose to be buried outside of their homeland.

I feel like Richard the third is a little different as be is centuries ago, now if it was George VI or Queen Mary, the Queen Mother or the last king of Sweden I wonder if it might be a little different.

That is all I was saying -nothing negative was meant in my comment.

Yes, I understand as much. However, I figured that since this was a state funeral (re burial or not) some of the more prominent royals would come and support the family.

Peter II, his wife, mother and brother did not choose to be buried outside of their homeland.

I feel like Richard the third is a little different as be is centuries ago, now if it was George VI or Queen Mary, the Queen Mother or the last king of Sweden I wonder if it might be a little different.

That is all I was saying -nothing negative was meant in my comment.

The British and Serbian families have always seemed close. And so I too was disapointed that no represtative was there. Prince Michael would have been a good choice.

The British and Serbian families have always seemed close. And so I too was disapointed that no represtative was there. Prince Michael would have been a good choice.

I couldn't agree more -he would have definitely been a good choice on behalf of the family.

I believe the poster meant Princess Elizabeth, daughter of the late Prince Paul and the late Princess Olga of Yugoslavia.

Ahh, yes! Princess Elizabeth! I found it strange too, but I'm not sure and have not read anything about why she was not there.

The US Ambassador was there. I was introduced to Ambassador Kirby at the dinner the night before the funeral. Incidentally, the US embassy is literally next to the royal compound. I talked to CP Alexander at the luncheon on Saturday (I was at his table), and I asked about the British - and was told why - and there is a reason for it -- no snub to Alexander personally. The invitations were sent to the Allied nations. This was an official state funeral, paid for by the Serbian government.
Peter died in the USA following a failed liver transplant. He could not be buried in Yugoslavia at the time.

There are unresolved issues that go back to the 1990s between the UK and Yugoslavia/Serbia.

USCtrojan

Ahh, yes! Princess Elizabeth! I found it strange too, but I'm not sure and have not read anything about why she was not there.

Princess Elizabeth was most certainly at all of the events. I spoke to her numerous times and took plenty of photos. Her branch of the family was well represented. Michel (one of the elder twins), Prince Serge and his wife, Prince Dushan (who repped his father, Alexander), as well as Vladimir, Dimitri, Lavinia, Katarina, Nicholas, George and Michael

There are political reasons why a member of the British royal family cannot attend these events in Serbia. Alexander is very close to his British cousins, and the Queen played a major role in getting Queen Marie back home.

I couldn't agree more -he would have definitely been a good choice on behalf of the family.

There are political reasons why a member of the British royal family cannot attend these events in Serbia. Alexander is very close to his British cousins, and the Queen played a major role in getting Queen Marie back home.

The closeness is between the two families is what brought up my question of their absence. I was unaware that there was huge political reasonings behind why they could not attend.

Btw, thank you for posting your experience at the funeral for others to read.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom