Royal Family of Serbia current events 2: February 2005 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueice

Nobility
City
Belgrade
Country
Serbia and Montenegro
Princess Elizabeth (Jelisaveta) of Yugoslavia

Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia, Kneginja Jelisaveta Karađorđević (born 7 April 1936) is a member of the Serbian Karađorđević dynasty.

Born in Belgrade, she married, on 19 Jan 1961, Howard Oxenberg, by whom she is mother of actress Catherine Oxenberg. They divorced in 1969, and she married, on 23 September 1969, in London, Neil Balfour (b. Lima 12 August 1944). They divorced, and, on 28 February 1987, in New York, she married Manuel Ulloa Elias (Lima 12 Nov 1922-Madrid 9 Aug 1992), the Prime Minister of Peru.

She is the daughter of the late prince Prince Paul of Yugoslavia (the last ruler of Yugoslavia of the House of Karađorđević as regent for his cousin King Peter II of Yugoslavia) and of the Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark.

She lives in Belgrade. Her brother is Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia who married first princess María Pia di Savoia (daughter of the last king Humbert II of Italy) and secondly Barbara of Liechtenstein. Maternally she is a second cousin of Queen Sofía of Spain and Charles, Prince of Wales. She is concerned in the problems of her country through her Princess Elizabeth Foundation in New York.

She is mother of three children, Catherine and Christina Oxenberg and Nicholas Balfour.

She decided to run for a President of Serbia in the Serbian presidential elections, 2004, despite her cousin Alexander's objections. After the end of World War II, the ex-royal family was banished from the country, and their goods confiscated.

"In case of victory," she stated, "my priority would not be to return to a monarchy, but to form a real State."

She gained the support of her daughter Catherine Oxenberg, as well of royal families of Britain, Denmark and Belgium.

She got 63,991 votes or 2.1% finishing in 6th place.

Jelisaveta is on 3203rd place to succeed British throne while her brother is on 92nd place.

Photos (private collection, Corbis and curtesy of ABBA, the TRF member):

1 - 4. Princess Jelisaveta Karadjordjevic
5 - 9. Catherine Oxenberg, her daughter

Attachments

• 020807_1_1a.JPG
    020807_1_1a.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 10,145
  • 0000364429_006.jpg
    0000364429_006.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 868
  • serbia_yugoslavia_Jelisaveta.jpg
    serbia_yugoslavia_Jelisaveta.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 8,883
  • serbia_catherine_oxenberg3.jpg
    serbia_catherine_oxenberg3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 9,398
  • serbia_catherine_oxenberg4.jpg
    serbia_catherine_oxenberg4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 9,622
  • serbia_catherine_oxenberg5.jpg
    serbia_catherine_oxenberg5.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 9,302
  • serbia_catherine_oxenberg7.jpg
    serbia_catherine_oxenberg7.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 954
  • serbia_catherine_oxenberg15.jpg
    serbia_catherine_oxenberg15.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 100px-Prjeka.jpg
    100px-Prjeka.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 8,778
Old family album

1. HRH Prince Pavle

2-3. HRH Prince Regent Pavle and HRH Princess Olga

4. TRH Prince Pavle, Princess Olga, Prince Aleksandar, Prince Nikola and Princess Jelisaveta

5. WEDDING OF PRINCE PAUL AND PRINCESS OLGA IN BELGRADE

Invitees at the Wedding of T.R.H. Prince Paul and Princess Olga, Belgrade, 1923.

Sitting on the ground: T.R.H. Princess Ileana of Romania and Princess Marina of Greece (sister of Princess Olga).

Sitting, from left to right: H.R.H. Princess Helen of Greece (the Bride's mother), H.M. Queeh Sophie of Greece. H.R.H. Princess Olga, H.R.H. Prince Paul, H.M. Queen Marie of Romania, H.R.H. Duchess of York (presently H.M. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother). Standing, from left to right: H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth of Romania, H.R.H. Prince Nicholas of Greece (Bride's father), H.R.H. Princess Irene of Greece, H.R.H. the Duke of York (future H.M. King George VI), H.R.Hl Prince Paul of Greece (future H.M. King Paul I), H.I.H. Princess Helen of Russia (sister of H.M. King Aleksandar I), H.R.H. Crown prince Carol of Romania (future H.M. King Carol II), H.M. King Aleksandar I, H.H. Princess Demidoff, H.M. King Ferdinand I of Romania, H.R.H. Prince Arsen (father of the Groom), H.R.H. The Crown Princess Elena of Romania, H.M. Queen Elizabeth of Greece.

Attachments

• pavle_i_olga.jpg
    pavle_i_olga.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,176
  • paul.jpg
    paul.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 9,433
  • paul_olga.jpg
    paul_olga.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • paul2.jpg
    paul2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Familija3a.jpg
    Familija3a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 9,728
The descent/family tree - links

The common descent of European Royal Houses form the Queen - Empress Victoria:

http://www.royalfamily.org/history/roots/victoria_eng.html

Family tree of Karadjordjevic Royal Family:

http://www.royalfamily.org/descent/stablo.htm

Wider family tree:

http://www.royalfamily.org/history/roots/familytree.html

Descent of The Royal House of Serbia and Yugoslavia from the Medieval Royal and Imperial House of Nemanich (Nemanjic) of Serbia:

http://www.royalfamily.org/history/roots/nemanjic_eng.html

I found this photo dated 1960 with the following caption - The princess Barbara von Liechtenstein and his husband the prince Alexander of Yugoslavia.

Would someone please tell me who is/was the Prince Alexander to whom they are referring?

Attachments

• RV8227-6.jpg
    RV8227-6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,000
Natalija said:
Sorry, Jelisaveta was born in 1936- my error.

It's all right :), I got confused as well :eek:, indeed you were right Natalija, the gentleman on the photo is Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic of Yugoslavia, brother of Princess Jelisaveta (Elisabeth) and son of Prince Paul (Pavle) and Princess Olga of Yugoslavia. He married first Princess Maria Pia di Savoia (daughter of the last King Humberto II of Italy) and secondly Barbara of Liechtenstein.

Some photos form the old thread:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658&page=1&pp=20

1. Original caption: Ischia, Italy: Royal Relaxation. Vacationing on the Mediterranean Island of Ischia, Princess Maria Pia of Savoy, daughter of former King Umberto of Italy, and her husband Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia take it easy on a windy balcony. Now making their home in Paris, they spent the first part of their Italian holiday in Florence.

2. Princess Helene in Deauville

3. Helena of Yugoslavia, M.Barrière, Me Gaubert, Maria Pia of Savoy, Ct & Ct'ess Portales, Pce. Serge

4-7. Holiday in Normandy

Attachments

• ppp.JPG
    ppp.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 8,396
  • s.JPG
    s.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 743
  • a.JPG
    a.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,880
  • ddddd.JPG
    ddddd.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 739
  • dddddddd.JPG
    dddddddd.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,087
  • uuuu.JPG
    uuuu.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 884
Princess Helene was married twice? Am I correct? And her son from her second marriage is HRH Dushan Paul, or am I confused?

Helen & Dushan

Julia said:
Princess Helene was married twice? Am I correct? And her son from her second marriage is HRH Dushan Paul, or am I confused?

Princess Helen is married to Thierry Gaubert and they have three children; as far as I know they are still married.

Helen's father Prince Alexander was firstly married to Princess Maria Pia of Savoy (divorced 1967).

He married secondly in 1973 HSH Princess Barbara of Liechtenstein. Their son, HRH Prince Dushan, was born in 1977.

I have some questions about Yugoslavia's royal family. Are they a deposed family, or do they still have some kind of powers in their country? And if they are deposed, what do you think the chances are of them being reinstated?

The Karageorgevics

delineate said:
I have some questions about Yugoslavia's royal family. Are they a deposed family, or do they still have some kind of powers in their country? And if they are deposed, what do you think the chances are of them being reinstated?
Yes, the monarchy was ousted by the Soviets and local Communists in November 1945. However under the new regime, Crown Prince Alexander has returned, and the State has also returned some of the Royal Family's private property. These include two palaces in Belgrade.

The Crown Prince and his wife participate in the social and cultural life of the country; who knows what will happen in the future in regards a formal restoration. It may help to give Serbia and Montenegro a focus for national identity, and help overcome the "pariah state" reputation gained under Milosevic.

A point in their favour is that the House of Karageorgevic is native to the country.

Please pardon my ignorance but can anyone tell me a little about the Royal Family of Yugoslavia. I see that there is a Crown Prince and Princess. Who was monarch when the royal family was exiled.

Kingdom of Yugoslavia

Ennyllorac said:
Please pardon my ignorance but can anyone tell me a little about the Royal Family of Yugoslavia. I see that there is a Crown Prince and Princess. Who was monarch when the royal family was exiled.
Alexander's father was King Peter II (1923-1970) who reigned under a Regency headed by his cousin Prince Paul. Peter assumed power in 1941 but left Yugoslavia when the Germans invaded. In 1945 the communists abolished the Monarchy.

Peter was married to Princess Alexandra of Greece, the daughter of King Alexander I; their only child was born in London in 1945 in a hotel room deemd Yugoslav territory for the occasion.

Crown Prince Alexander married firstly Princess Maria da Gloria of Orleans and Braganca (ie Brazil) and had three sons. He married secondly Katherine Batis, the current Crown Princess of Yugoslavia (now Serbia and Montenegro).

In 2001 the government restored to Alexander the Stari Dov Palace and the adjacent Beli Dov Palace (in Belgrade). Negotiations are continuing for the return of other private properties.

Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia

Hello there!

Does anyone has pictures of queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia, the daughter of King Alexander I of Greece and Aspasia Manos?
I can only find 3 pictures of her. But she was the wife of former king Peter II and therefore Queen of Yugoslavia, so there must be more pictures of her...

PARIS - JANUARY 26: Princess Helene of Yougoslavia poses as she attends the launch of the new Chopard campaign "Kind of Magic" during the Paris Fashion week on January 26, 2006 in Paris, France.
(from getty)

Prince Rade Petrovic-Karadjordjevia and Pilar Lacalle will be married next 27 of May in Madrid

For the first time the daughter of an Uruguayan family with long political history in the country, is going to contract connection with a representative of the European nobility. To pound Lacalle and Rade Petrovic-Karadjordjevia, will be the happy pair that will interchange ring in Madrid, next the 27 of May.
Rade, that is dedicated to the deprived bank, is cousin of Kubrat of Bulgaria and relative of the Spanish real family. The witnesses will be Ignacio de Marichalar, brother-in-law of infant Elena, and the Duke of Lugo, and in the list of guests they are, among other friends, king and Aznar ",
http://www.larepublica.com.uy/lr3/?a=nota&n=211212&e=2006-05-18

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 8,934
fanletizia said:
Prince Rade Petrovic-Karadjordjevia and Pilar Lacalle will be married next 27 of May in Madrid
For the first time the daughter of an Uruguayan family with long political history in the country, is going to contract connection with a representative of the European nobility.
Hmm... Petrovic is the first part of the name of the Montenegrin Royal House (Petrovic-Njegos) and Karageorgevic is of course Serbia (Yugoslavia). The only connection I can find between the two families in the last 200 years is Princess Zorka of Montenegro who married Peter I King of Serbia (later King of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes) in 1883, and he is not a descendant of that marriage.
There is no genealogical reference to a present-day "Prince" Rade that I can find.

Warren said:
Hmm... Petrovic is the first part of the name of the Montenegrin Royal House (Petrovic-Njegos) and Karageorgevic is of course Serbia (Yugoslavia). The only connection I can find between the two families in the last 200 years is Princess Zorka of Montenegro who married Peter I King of Serbia (later King of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes) in 1883, and he is not a descendant of that marriage.
There is no genealogical reference to a present-day "Prince" Rade that I can find.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong direction, since you have may forgotten that the original name of the Karadjordjevic family was Petrovic, Djordje Petrovic a.k.a. Karadjordje (Black George), had other brothers...

Alfonso said:
Maybe you are looking in the wrong direction, since you have may forgotten that the original name of the Karadjordjevic family was Petrovic, Djordje Petrovic a.k.a. Karadjordje (Black George), had other brothers...
Correct, but Karadjordje was Gospodar (fled Serbia 1813, murdered 1817), and it wasn't until 1842 that his son Alexander was proclaimed [non-hereditary] Prince-Regent of Serbia.
My assumption, which could be wrong, is that the Princely honorific was borne by Alexander and his descendants, and not extended back to his uncles and cousins.

Burke's Royal Families of the World Vol I is ambivalent on the use of the princely title for Karadjordje's other sons, denoting them as princes-in-effect (ie status), but not in name. The Almanach de Gotha makes no mention of them at all.

Someone with a wikipedia account should update the page of Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia (b. 1958). He's one of Maria Pia of Savoy and Alexander's twins. Someone has it written down that he is 101st in the line of succession to the British throne when it's actually another Prince Dimitri (b. 1965) (the son of Prince Andrej) that's in the line of succession.

I guess those kinds of mistakes happen when you have more than one person in a family with the same name.

Princess Katarina of Yugoslavia

I see from my Daily Telegraph that Princess Katarina of Yugoslavia was in the chair at the Dinner held by the Guild of Travel and Tourism in London on February 18th.

Is Princess Katarina the same person as Crown Princess Katherine, or are they separate people?

Has anyone got any pictures they could post of Prince Dimitri ?

Has anyone got any pictures they could post of Prince Dimitri ?

There are two Princes named Dimtri one born in 1958 he is a jewelry designer and married and the other one was born in 1965.
So can't really answer question being that I am confued. Tell me which one are you taling about the one born in 58 or 65?

According to the Daily Mail there are problems in the marriage of princess Katarina of Yugoslavia and her husband, sir Desmond da Silva:

Love split takes the shine off De Silva | Mail Online

Princess Katarina is a grand daughter of Princess Theodora of Greece & Denmark, Margravine of Baden - the eldest sister of the duke of Edinburgh.

courtesy of RubyPrincess168
Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia pictured with Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia at a dinner in New York.

23 April 2009 - Growth period | New York Social Diary
(halfway down the page, after Dolly Parton etc)

:previous:
Prince Dimitri's resemblance to his Grandfather King Umberto is frightening...

Princess Helene de Yougoslavie, Alexandre Zouari, Princess
Hermine Clermont-Tonnerre at the gala evening for the
15th anniversary " Musique contre l'Oubli" organized by
Amnesty International, at the Theatre des Champs-Elysees.
Paris, France , May 6, 2009

-----> Pic

Love split takes the shine off
De Silva

Her society credentials are impeccable. A descendant of Queen Victoria and 100th in line to the throne, she married a larger-than-life lawyer who achieved fame defending high profile footballers accused of corruption.
But, Princess Katarina of Yugoslavia, I can reveal, is suffering the pain of estrangement from her husband, celebrity QC Sir Desmond de Silva.

Love split takes the shine off De Silva | Mail Online

Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia at "Intimate Dinner" hosted by
Massimo Ferragamo held at the Salvatore Ferragamo, NYC.
USA, June 3, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Hi, i need a little help?!

Kraljevska porodica Srbije

Does anybody knows the last names of: Katerina (daughter of prince Tomislav), and her daughter Victoria, Maria - the daughter of prince Andrej, and her daughters, Helene - the daughter of prince Alexander (son of prince Paul).
Becouse, when a female member of our RF gets maried, he doesn't have the title (and the last name Karadjordjevic) anymore...

Thank you,
Pedja

P.S. I would like to excuse, becouse i don't know English very well. I mean, i know how to speak English, but i have a little problem with speling. Serbian language is fonetic... so, i hope that you would understand me :)))))

oh, i rememberd know, I'm from Serbia! xex......

Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia and wife Princess Barbara (née Liechtenstein) attending
14th CONCORDIA SUMMER AIDS GALA at Marbella Club Hotel.
Marbella, Spain July 25, 2009

---------> Pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom