Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes they are. Alexander's first wife was catholic until she married Alexander, so it's very logic that his 3 children are Orthodox...!

I think that all of Serbian Royal Family are Orthodox :)

the first wife of Alexander, María de la Gloria de Orleans-Braganza, became to the Orthodox Church like queen Queen Sofia but conversely, they were married in the Orthodox rite in Spain . I had the photos of this wedding with the patriarch and the crowns on their heads, I remember it..I have found it. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting She was beautiful woman

Serbia has the best chances in europe to abolish the republic.

Both Prince Alexander and his wife are very involved (not politically) in the Serbian State and are prime examples of hard working royals.
I actually wonder what are the actual chances for the restoration of the monarchy in any Balkan State.

:previous: I admire the fact that they both work so hard. The Princess Katherine is always there front and center doing all she can for the Serbian people.
If this was the late 1800 early 1900 perhaps the British Royal family would have an interest in helping them, however these days besides a Happy Birthday Godson card, I doubt they can expect much more from them..:flowers:

Well,British royals of today have different function than 100 years ago,so I doubt they could help today in that way(restoration)...

After WW II it was Churchill who decided if Yugoslavia is going to be a monarchy or not...

There was also a proposition from Stalin to restore the monarchy,but under one condition:that Prince Tomislav(brother of King Peter II) succeeds as monarch which he,of course,declined...that would also mean that Yugoslavia would be under Iron courtain!

Well,British royals of today have different function than 100 years ago,so I doubt they could help today in that way(restoration)...

After WW II it was Churchill who decided if Yugoslavia is going to be a monarchy or not...

There was also a proposition from Stalin to restore the monarchy,but under one condition:that Prince Tomislav(brother of King Peter II) succeeds as monarch which he,of course,declined...that would also mean that Yugoslavia would be under Iron courtain!

Stalin proposed a Yugoslavian Monarchy behind the Iron curtain? Very interesting, I never heard of this before..Do you have any books to refer me? I'd love to read more about it.

Stalin proposed a Yugoslavian Monarchy behind the Iron curtain? Very interesting, I never heard of this before..Do you have any books to refer me? I'd love to read more about it.

Well,he didn't exatly propose to be a monarchy,but if Yugoslavia was to stay a monarchy he wanted Tomislav to be the King...

Destiny of Yugoslavia(if it was to be a monarchy or not) officially was dependant on British,Russian and American negotions...but,in fact it was dependant on Churchill!

After Tito/Subasic treaty Chuchill tried to "wash his hands" in front of King Peter II and said:"You know I don't like Tito...but he has the power and we have to count on that fact."

Last edited:
Restoration in Serbia is not priority,but it would be great for country!
Prince Alexandar and his wife are very nice people,humanists! They can bring just benefit to people!

Restoration in Serbia is not priority,but it would be great for country!
Prince Alexandar and his wife are very nice people,humanists! They can bring just benefit to people!

Well,the vast majority of people don't see them in that way,so I doubt they would have much chance,although she(Katherine) tries very hard!

Restoration is a nice idea for Serbia, but Europe seems to be in the midst of a growing crisis about the state of the EU, and the financial difficulties are not getting any better. A restoration proposal might just be laughed at by the the major powers what with all the bigger problems around Europe at the moment.

On the other hand, Serbia is a proud country but not a major power in Europe and a restoration may have no major implications to the current state of things. I am no expert on these current affairs but it is an observation.

^ yup, no chance at all. Those polls that suggest that people are for monarchy are deceiving, no one really cares, and financially supporting the royal family is the last thing people would want to do in this struggling economy. (or ever for that matter, anti-monarchists are being more vocal in many other solid monarchies, why would anyone be that crazy to restore it?)

Also, the fact that prince doesn't speak good Serbian doesn't help him either. I mean seriously, if the family cared about tradition they could have taught their children Serbian. Being in exile doesn't mean anything, they spoke it.

Crown Prince Alexander learnt serbian in exile so ..

^ he's learned it in the last 10 years since they came back on the scene, he barely spoke it before. He doesn't speak it well now either (nor do his sons, who are supposed to be heirs) and that's why people see him and restoration of monarchy as a joke. I'm not saying that it's his fault, it isn't, his parents could have taught him the language but didn't. All I'm saying is that since that's the way things are there's no chance for that restoration. The language is not the only reason, people generally don't like him and his wife. Princess Jelisaveta is definitely more liked than them.

I have no idea what was being said, but he got really quite irate, verbally, didn't he? He booed back and screamed at the crowd.

I'm rather takenaback by that. Seems to me that someone's a bit of a 'hot head'.

There could be communists who are against the Royal Family and do not want the Monarchy.

I'm not saying that it's his fault, it isn't, his parents could have taught him the language but didn't.
IIRC he has been mostly raised by his maternal grandmother Princess Aspasia of Greece and in his youth he was quite estranged from his parents; this could explain why he didn't learn Serbian well when he was young.

There could be communists who are against the Royal Family and do not want the Monarchy.

One does not have to be "communist" to be against monarchy.

It's pretty clear that the Serbian people are not enthusiastic about restoring a monarchy. I am actually eligible to hold Serbian citizenship, as they base their citizenship requirements similarly to Israel's right of return; some of my family lived in what is now Serbia until the 1940s. However, I would never avail myself of that option, as the Serbs participated in the wholesale extermination of my family in concentration camps that they set-up with the full knowledge and consent of Russia, beginning in 1944 and continuing through 1948.

I heard the polls say the majority of the population is in favour of the monarchy.

I heard in a recent poll in Serbia 64 % are in favor of the monarchy instead of the republic..

I would like to have all the reasons why some people in some European countries where were abolished the monarchies want the Monarchies back? Well, I am about to do an essay about Restoration of the abolished monarchies in Europe. So I would like some reason to support. Because of the popularity? government? or something else?

Thank you...

Nevertheless, I am cheering the Serbian Royal Family back to the throne again, as well as the other abolished monarchies in Europe.

Are there any movements or plans to restore the monarchy in Serbia?

I think Alexander and his sons lack of fluency in the Serbian Language might be what's keeping them back in all honesty! Do the Serbs want a King and Crown Prince who can not fluently speak the language? Alexander has been in Serbia so many years and he says he can speak the language fluently but he gives most of his interviews in English. I've never seen any videos of him speaking Serbian, if anyone has one please send the link my way! Honestly he and his soon need to learn to read write and speak Serbian and get out there and meet the people and perform official engagements. Without that I don't think the Serbian Monarchy will ever be restored without that. Does his son even live In Serbia? How can they have a Crown Prince that doesn't even live in the country...

Last edited:
I soppose you are totally right.

I don’t know how well the Crown Prince and his sons speak Serbian I know on the Royal Families website the biographies for the sons say they are ‘continuing their Serbian studies’. As I believe they all work abroad I doubt they get much chance to practice. I do find a little strange that presumably they never learnt the language while they were growing up, but perhaps their father thought the Royal Family would never return.

I don’t think Hereditary Prince Peter lives in Serbia I believe he still works in the USA. I wonder how well known he is in Serbia? not very I would imagine which could be a problem when he succeeds his father if there is still hope for restoring the monarchy. As he is the heir I personally think he should live in Serbia, hopefully oneday he will marry and raise his children in Serbia. Maybe a big royal wedding in Belgrade will capture the imagination of the public and help the push to restore the monarchy!

I don’t know how well the Crown Prince and his sons speak Serbian I know on the Royal Families website the biographies for the sons say they are ‘continuing their Serbian studies’. As I believe they all work abroad I doubt they get much chance to practice. I do find a little strange that presumably they never learnt the language while they were growing up, but perhaps their father thought the Royal Family would never return.

I believe that too. It must be a very difficult language to master, particularly if one hasn't tried to learn it while growing up. I think it's also quite hard to pronounce most of the words rightly.
Apart from the SRF's linguistic skills, I think a restoration in the Balkans nowadays seems even more possible -- let's see if that could be Serbia. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom