Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never! Ever, ever!!! Alexander is the damn nationalist and I'll never support him assuming the throne! Serbia must remain a republic.

Why do you consider Crown Prince Alexander a "nationalist"?Because he doesn't accept the "Kosovo independence"?

I've heard Alexander say in interviews that he would be king for all citizens of Serbia regardless of their religious affiliation, etc.

Never! Ever, ever!!! Alexander is the damn nationalist and I'll never support him assuming the throne! Serbia must remain a republic.

Well considering you live in the Netherlands I don't think your opinion really matters to the Serbians or the Crown prince...

:previous:
Sorry, but we don't take that attitude here.
TRF is a community with an international membership.
All members have the right to participate and express their opinions in any discussion wherever they happen to reside.

Warren
TRF Admin

Crown Prince Alexander is orthodox but he respects catholics, protestants and muslim very much.His first wife ( Princess Maria da Gloria de Braganza-Orleans)is catholic.

Wonderful article:

PRESS CLIPPING

Not a bad article, but it misses some very crucial points.

We can talk about recent events in Serbia, or at least concerning Serbia, which we can't go into greater depth about here. But the point is, Serbian politics and society is in a severe crisis because a whole generation or two of Serbs have grown up in times of war, violence, hatred, and national demoralisation. It's in this that the idea of restoring the monarchy resonates among many, including the political class. The need for unity in Serbia has never been greater.

The closest parallel to this is Georgia. Again, the issues there are very similar to Serbia.

The chances of a restoration aren't too low, AFAIK. If Peter manages to master the language, then I don't see why the Serbians wouldn't want their King back. As an expatriot that's how I view it, our Pedja can do the job.

The chances of a restoration aren't too low, AFAIK. If Peter manages to master the language, then I don't see why the Serbians wouldn't want their King back. As an expatriot that's how I view it, our Pedja can do the job.
Is the religion of Serbian pretenders to the throne Orthodox?

Yes,although their mother is Catholic all 3 of them are Orthodox...

All the Serbians are Orthodox Christians, Alexander's sons were christened into the Orthodox church as expected. The way I view it, there's no problem with their faith. The elder son just has to master the language, then they will have made a big step towards the restoration of the monarchy.

Know what, I could just sit back enjoy my :coffee: or :wine: and judge the others' nationalism. :bang: :lol: Don't get me wrong, am just posting here to let u know that Kosovo is the cradle of the Serbian soul. Check it out in every history book. :)

Yes, they must be Orthodox.

A restoration of the monarchy is highly unlikely in Serbia. The state and its democratic institutions remain quite weak and the majority of Serbians, especially young people, couldn't care less. They need jobs and a deregulated economy, not a King.

Serbia's problem is that it is still coming to terms with the legacy of dictatorships (like other countries in the Balkans) and, more recently, of war. It has had an effect on a whole generation of Serbs, socially, economically and mentally. The current problem in Serbia is its political class, like that of other Balkan nations, does not inspire any trust or confidence from its population. Restoring the monarchy resonates with many because of this, because a head of state who is above politics would be better able to serve the nation's interests.

Crown Prince Alexander has done it the right way. Unlike Simeon in Bulgaria, who chose to go straight into politics, Alexander has kept away from it while presenting his case.

There are major proponents now in Romania trying to push forward the restoration of the monarchy. It seems that support is increasing quite rapidly and even the presidential frontrunner, Crin Antonescu, is in favour of the monarchy.

What is the current status in Serbia? Is there strong will on the part of the people? Are there any official acts happening to restore the monarchy?

Just wondering which country will restore their monarchy first :)

Which main politions are in favour of Monarchy?

Now depends a lot of the serbian politicians to fulfil the wishes of the people and abolish the republic.

Come on! Where's the political initiative? As Cory said, which politicians support the royal family?

In Serbia many of the members of the government seem to be royalist.

I think that no one in the government have the guts to say "Hey, lets restore the monarchy"

If Serbia can successfully restore its monarchy, of which it still has the best chances of any possible restoration, I feel it could set a precedent for other candidates for restoration.

In the last 20 years the existing post-Communist systems have failed to fulfill the aspirations of countries which are still dealing with a pretty awful legacy. If one must look back to move forward, then this is a good example. The last century hasn't been really kind for this part of Europe especially, so this would be a way of undoing the mess. Never mind that most monarchies in the last century have been unjustly deposed anyway.

That poll is huge- if no political parties are pushing for a monarchy, then the Royal Family should find a way to delicately push for it, without interfering in politics--sort of a catch-22, but surely it could be done.

Do Serbs vote for monarchy in the poll because they want a strong ruler and they think that a king would be a strong ruler? Or do they support monarchy because having a king with just ceremonial powers (like in Sweden and the UK) is a good thing?

As a non-Serb, I am not seeing how having a monarchy would enable Serbia to be more connected with Europe. If the Royal Family were Saxe-Coburgs or Bourbons or Glucksburgs then they'd have connections with other royal families and could maybe use that for some benefit, but I'm not seeing it.

Actually CP Alexander is pretty well connected just as much as the Bourbons Gluckburgs and SCG. He is good friends of the British Royal Family, the Queen attended his Birthday Party in London. He's invited to major events in most European royal courts. I think he just needs to make some good marriages for his kids, but I doubt that will happen as he doesn't take them to many royal events, but Theodora Greece is very much single and good for one of his kids! ;)

Yes they are. Alexander's first wife was catholic until she married Alexander, so it's very logic that his 3 children are Orthodox...!

Back
Top Bottom