Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Serbia was very proud that they had their native dynasty and not imported German one, unlike most countries in the Balkan region.

Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Hungary were ruled by the Habsburgs, Romania by Hohenzollerns, Bulgaria by Saxe-Coburgs, Greece by Wittelsbachs and Schleswig-Holsteins, Albania by Wieds etc. It was always pointed out that, unlike these countries Serbia never had foreign sovereign, so Serbian people expect from his "King" to be more Serbian than the others, to be the role model of an leader, soldier so that they could be associated with him, respect him and at the same time fear him.

For Serbian that can't be said for someone who doesn't know the language, has feuds with other members of the family, allows to get booed in public, make really hilarious mistakes while speaking and doesn't live in the country.

It is remarkable how Crown Prince Alexander is respected by foreign royals and people abroad, while in Serbia he just can't find "that" connection with people and they make fun of him and in general do not respect him.

Unlike for example, Prince Tomislav, who wasn't an angel at all. He was a great womanizer, had many mistresses, but never allowed this to be widely known, was in high regard with the people, always dignified, he spoke Serbian and was always the favorite Serbian Prince as he knew what things Serbian people fall for.

HRH Crown Prince Alexander was born in exile and did not spend his childhood in Serbia like his uncle.

HRH Crown Prince Alexander was born in exile and did not spend his childhood in Serbia like his uncle.

Prince Tomislav lived less in Serbia than Crown Prince Alexander. When he was only 9 years old he went to live in Britain and returned to live in Serbia only last 8 years of his life in Serbia, so it's not like he lived many years here.

As for Crown Prince Alexander, he lives in Serbia for almost 20 years now in succession and still hasn't learned the language of his country and his ancestors which our people always point out as one of the main things he hasn't been able to achieve if he wants the throne back. It looks like he either doesn't care enough or he just can't learn it, which would start the speculation about his mental possibilities.

Anyway, you want to lead the country and you don't even know the language... It's just not logical in these times. Just imagine any monarchy today whose reigning king or queen doesn't speak the language of his country.

For example, both Crown Princess Mary and Princess Marie of Denmark live less time in Denmark and were still able to learn Danish fluently. That speaks about the effort they made to learn the language for much shorter period of time, while this effort is not so seeable in Serbia, now for almost 20 years, both by Crown Prince or his wife.

Last edited:
Prince Tomislav lived less in Serbia than Crown Prince Alexander. When he was only 9 years old he went to live in Britain and returned to live in Serbia only last 8 years of his life in Serbia, so it's not like he lived many years here.

As for Crown Prince Alexander, he lives in Serbia for almost 20 years in succession now and still hasn't learned the language of his country and his ancestors which our people always point out as one of the main things he hasn't been able to achieve if he wants the throne back.

You want to lead the country and you don't even know the language. Well, that doesn't go like that with people in Serbia.

Certainly his Serbian has improved but people must see all the work done by him and by the Crown Princess to promote the country and to support those less fortunate.

Certainly his Serbian has improved but people must see all the work done by him and by the Crown Princess to promote the country and to support those less fortunate.

When he tries to speak, he makes such mistakes that everybody instantly starts to laugh and all effort is gone.

For example, on the National day of Serbia he goes live on main TV in the news to talk seriously about our country and it's place in Europe. He wanted to tell that Serbia, as an old monarchy needs to take it's place in EU, but instead of that he tells that Serbia, as an old monarchy needs to milk a cow in order to enter EU. :bang: Of course, everything he says from than on goes with the wind.

Also, he goes to the city of Chachak and instead of addressing it's citizens as:"My dear Chachans." he said: "My dear Chechens" like adressing people from Chechnya. People were like, does this man knows where he came at all? And of course the gaffe immediately goes viral.

If the President of the Republic goes on to publicly criticize Crown Prince and his wife for not paying their bills by saying: "Well, genius, first you pay the bills for electricity that you own to the state of Serbia and then sue whom you want. When you pay 70.000 euros you own to the state, we can talk about anything else. And state gave you the use of the palaces, which collapse, because they are not maintained properly, state gave you a lot of things, payed many bills for you in the past, so now it''s time for you to pay at least the electricity bills and after that criticize your country." it's not good for the PR of the royal family.

There was also the scandal about plane tickets that were bought for the price of economic class but Crown Prince and his wife demanded to be transferred to the business class after national company rejected their offer to grant them air plane tickets for free until the reached value of 35.000 euros. It was done in the past, but now national company rejected. And again, President of Serbia publicly criticized them for it.

Obviously they don't get along very well, but still, one must be dignified if he wants to win the hearts of people for his cause. It shouldn't be done like that.

There was also a scandal with royal security beating a girl that worked for Crown Princess as her PR assistant:

https://translate.google.rs/transla...na-kraju-sam-dobila-i-batine.html&prev=search

There were also feuds with other members of the family which did not help their cause, like that with Princess Elizabeth when she was forbidden entrance to the palaces, even if the were given to use by the state to all Karadjordjevic family members or feud with Prince Vladimir who also said similar thing. Instead of being united as a family and fight for it together, they constantly quarrel with each other.

I mean, I hope you now understand that there are many things that are done wrong, if you really want to have a chance to have monarchy back. You just can't do it with so many scandals and "blemishes".

Last edited:
When he tries to speak, he makes such mistakes that everybody instantly starts to laugh and all effort is gone.

For example, on the National day of Serbia he goes live on main TV in the news to talk seriously about our country and it's place in Europe. He wanted to tell that Serbia, as an old monarchy needs to take it's place in EU, but instead of that he tells that Serbia, as an old monarchy needs to milk a cow in order to enter EU. :bang: Of course, everything he says from than on goes with the wind.

Also, he goes to the city of Chachak and instead of addressing it's citizens as:"My dear Chachans." he said: "My dear Chechens" like adressing people from Chechnya. People were like, does this man knows where he came at all? And of course the gaffe immediately goes viral.

If the President of the Republic goes on to publicly criticize Crown Prince and his wife for not paying their bills by saying: "Well, genius, first you pay the bills for electricity that you own to the state of Serbia and then sue whom you want. When you pay 70.000 euros you own to the state, we can talk about anything else. And state gave you the use of the palaces, which collapse, because they are not maintained properly, state gave you a lot of things, payed many bills for you in the past, so now it''s time for you to pay at least the electricity bills and after that criticize your country." it's not good for the PR of the royal family.

There was also the scandal about plane tickets that were bought for the price of economic class but Crown Prince and his wife demanded to be transferred to the business class after national company rejected their offer to grant them air plane tickets for free until the reached value of 35.000 euros. It was done in the past, but now national company rejected. And again, President of Serbia publicly criticized them for it.

Obviously they don't get along very well, but still, one must be dignified if he wants to win the hearts of people for his cause. It shouldn't be done like that.

There was also a scandal with royal security beating a girl that worked for Crown Princess as her PR assistant:

https://translate.google.rs/transla...na-kraju-sam-dobila-i-batine.html&prev=search

There were also feuds with other members of the family which did not help their cause, like that with Princess Elizabeth when she was forbidden entrance to the palaces, even if the were given to use by the state to all Karadjordjevic family members or feud with Prince Vladimir who also said similar thing. Instead of being united as a family and fight for it together, they constantly quarrel with each other.

I mean, I hope you now understand that there are many things that are done wrong, if you really want to have a chance to have monarchy back. You just can't do it with so many scandals and "blemishes".

Hereditary Prince Peter is known in the country?

Hereditary Prince Peter is known in the country?

Unfortunately not, as he does not live here, doesn't speak Serbian and seems not so interested in claiming something his father at least fights for.

But, as I have heard from people that work in the palace, all the boys tried to live at one point in Belgrade, but the relationship with their stepmother was not the best, as she tried to dictate their every step, so they moved out not to get into any sort of awkward situation because of that, so they decided to live their own life away from any sort of discomfort.

While other Karadjordjevic family member are not permitted to stay at the palaces, her family is always staying in the palace and that is not what other Serbian royals like at all. They think her family is very pushy. Even maybe if her family isn't pushing things itself, she pushes them at that looks like that. It gets very negative press.

All of Crown Princes "boys" seem to be very nice guys, down to earth, but just aren't interested in monarchy cause at all.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not, as he does not live here, doesn't speak Serbian and seems not so interested in claiming something his father at least fights for.

But, as I have heard from people that work in the palace, all the boys tried to live at one point in Belgrade, but the relationship with their stepmother was not the best, as she tried to dictate their every step, so they moved out not to get into any sort of awkward situation because of that, so they decided to live their own life away from any sort of discomfort.

While other Karadjordjevic family member are not permitted to stay at the palaces, her family is always staying in the palace and that is not what other Serbian royals like at all. They think her family is very pushy. Even maybe if her family isn't pushing things itself, she pushes them at that looks like that. It gets very negative press.

All of Crown Princes "boys" seem to be very nice guys, down to earth, but just aren't interested in monarchy cause at all.

Why do you say they are not interested in Monarchy?

Why do you say they are not interested in Monarchy?

They don't seem to be. They don't live in Serbia, don't speak Serbian, don't appear on TV, they are not involved in any royal activity or charity, at least not publicly and people don't know them. Most people still believe that Katherine is their mother, due to lack of interest in monarchy in general.

Last edited:
They don't seem to be. They don't live in Serbia, don't speak Serbian, don't appear on TV, they are not involved in any royal activity or charity, at least not publicly and people don't know them. Most people still believe that Katherine is their mother, due to lack of interest in monarchy in general.

What about Prince Nicola, son of the late Prince Tomislav..?
Is he based in Serbia/speak Serbian?

Well, at least prince Philip married a Serbian bride; he seems to be more active than his older brother.

The pushing of Katherine's family is quite visible and I'm not surprised if her stepsons would rather stay out of her way most of the time as she clearly is in charge and not their father who after all is the crown prince.

Last edited:
I personally would love to see the monarchy restored and a member of the royal family take charge and be a positive symbol for the country. I have always like the crown prince, his wife....well at times a bit pushy and very full of royal life it seems.....

I personally would love to see the monarchy restored and a member of the royal family take charge and be a positive symbol for the country. I have always like the crown prince, his wife....well at times a bit pushy and very full of royal life it seems.....
That's both a curse and a blessing. I'd say the Serbian royal family needs someone who enjoys royal life and is willing to do what it takes to be visible and who strives for a prominent role in the country (not really what we might expect from Alexander based on my limited knowledge of his character - other than some speeches in which he explains why Serbia needs to be a monarchy again).

In this respect I see some resemblance with Sofia and Meghan - not in pushing their own family but in enjoying the royal spotlights. For some they might come across as 'too willing' but the opposite of 'not willing' is worse.

Interview on Euronews with the Crown Prince and Princess along with Monarchist supporters.

At the request of the Movement for the Restoration of the Kingdom of Serbia (POKS), Crown Prince Alexander received a delegation led by the President of the Movement, Mr. Gojkovic. During the meeting, the delegation informed the Crown Prince on the plans, goals and manner in which this party intends to represent the idea and political program of restoring the monarchy in Serbia in the forthcoming election campaign and in its public appearances. Crown Prince Alexander wished POKS good luck and success in in their future work.

http://www.royalfamily.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2X1A3244m.jpg
http://www.royalfamily.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2X1A3270m.jpg

Serbia again? Look I guess it's nice that "thousands" of people wish for the restoration but we need to remember that the National Assembly only consists of 4 MPs who belong to monarchist parties; 2 belong to the Serbian Renewal Movement (SPO), 1 belongs to the New Serbia (NH), and the other seat belonging to the Movement for the Restoration of the Kingdom of Serbia (POKS). Apparently POKS also has 3 seats in the Assembly of Vojvodina. So that's 4 out of 250 for the National Assembly and 3 out of 120 for the Assembly of Vojvodina (POKS was the only monarchist party I found to actually have any seats in the Assembly of Vojvodina, didn't find anything for the SPO or the NH I'm afraid).

Look I'm not saying that there aren't many monarchists in Serbia but we should take the movement as serious as a grain of salt. Most people on Royal Forums and Quora who even have any knowledge of the subject matter at hand usually consider the movement in Serbia as a joke with polls that would feel at home in Putinist Russia.

Let's just treat any advancement in the movement with some suspicion.

-Frozen Royalist

"Movement for the Restoration of the Kingdom of Serbia" has won 2,7% of votes in Parliamentary Elections in Serbia.

Interestingly, they were 4th in general race (4th out of 21 parties that have took part in electorial race) for the Parliament and needed just 0,3% to make them represented in the Parliament.

"Movement for the Restoration of the Kingdom of Serbia" has won 2,7% of votes in Parliamentary Elections in Serbia.

Interestingly, they were 4th in general race (4th out of 21 parties that have took part in electorial race) for the Parliament and needed just 0,3% to make them represented in the Parliament.

So 97,3 % of the Serbian electorate was not at all attracted to the royalist party. That is the clear conclusion.

My advice to the Serbian royal family would be: aim for a Romanian situation, in which a Royal House co-exists in the framework of a republican state structure.

I don't think the number of votes represent the number of people interested in the return of the monarchy. However, I can fully understand why people wouldn't vote for a one-issue party. I am sure they have more important concerns.

So 97,3 % of the Serbian electorate was not at all attracted to the royalist party. That is the clear conclusion.

My advice to the Serbian royal family would be: aim for a Romanian situation, in which a Royal House co-exists in the framework of a republican state structure.

I wouldn't interpretend this as conclusion for support or opposition for monarchy. It wasn't referendum over restoration but there was electer members of parliament. People just have more important things than restoration of monarchy. Surely actual support for restoration is higher.

I wouldn't interpretend this as conclusion for support or opposition for monarchy. It wasn't referendum over restoration but there was electer members of parliament. People just have more important things than restoration of monarchy. Surely actual support for restoration is higher.

Okay, let us triple or quadruple the score, it still remains just around the 10%.
My advice would be: do it the Romanian way, try to obtain a formal position as Royal House in the Serbian republican state structure.

Then you have that stronghold. And from that position, one can always continue to fight for an ideal. Or not. The Romanian situation is the best one can get. Even in Romania it is illusoir to expect a 2/3rd majority voting to end the office of an elected President in favour of a system of hereditary succession.

I have to agree the number does not represent the whole monarchist population and the timing is bad.

The Romanian way is also a better alternative. But I am crossing my fingers for other countries to accept monarchy as a better type of government.

I have to agree the number does not represent the whole monarchist population and the timing is bad.

The Romanian way is also a better alternative. But I am crossing my fingers for other countries to accept monarchy as a better type of government.

Not likely to happen. Occasionally a monarchy is restored but its very rare adn the Balkan states's monarchies did not have a very long history... so very very unlikely.

The Romanians have the best of two worlds: there is a functioning Royal House with little difference to other Royal Houses. And the "democratic deficit" which is an intrinsic part of a monarchy is solved as there is a democratically elected head of state indeed.

The Romanians have the best of two worlds: there is a functioning Royal House with little difference to other Royal Houses. And the "democratic deficit" which is an intrinsic part of a monarchy is solved as there is a democratically elected head of state indeed.

Agreed. This is the way to go for the Royal Houses of Serbia, Albania and Montenegro. They could also follow the example of the Romanians with respect to Moldova and further develop a profile/role as a reference point between their countries and the Serb, Albanian and Montenegrin people living outside the state boundaries, in Bosnia, Kosovo and elsewhere, a bit like heads of a commonwealth, but of a nation rather than of states.

Agreed. This is the way to go for the Royal Houses of Serbia, Albania and Montenegro. They could also follow the example of the Romanians with respect to Moldova and further develop a profile/role as a reference point between their countries and the Serb, Albanian and Montenegrin people living outside the state boundaries, in Bosnia, Kosovo and elsewhere, a bit like heads of a commonwealth, but of a nation rather than of states.
To my knowledge, although not as high-profile as their Romanian colleagues, the Petrović's of Montenegro has a similar and very good deal in place for themselves as representatives of the Montenegrin people.

To my knowledge, although not as high-profile as their Romanian colleagues, the Petrović's of Montenegro has a similar and very good deal in place for themselves as representatives of the Montenegrin people.

That's my understanding, too.

The Royal Houses of Serbia have a very up to date and functional website they also have a good presence on Social Media ,far more impressive and media savvy than some of the reigning houses.

Back
Top Bottom