Succession to the Romanian Throne, Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now many Romanian royalists discuss the Succession. Very few still believe the Line of Succession proposed by the King (and changed twice in the last years) is a successful possibility for the future especially after the shocking removal of Ncholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills from that List. So Prince Karl of Hohenzollern starts to be discovered by many. Others believe a Prince from a European reigning House would be the solution.

Romanian monarchists are probably better off throwing their support behind King Michael's nephew Paul and his son Carol Ferdinand who at least live in Romania and are direct male line descendants of the kings of Romania.

Not a chance!!

Succession to the Romanian Throne

With this happening its a pity they put all their eggs in Nicolae's one basket. As someone else wrote had his sister or even a cousin moved to Romania at the same time as him and taken part in his effort to build a future for the dynasty she could've stood a chance for the family to survive the turmoil I think will happen but to have someone move there now and start all over seems pretty pointless. I think the King saw this and that's why after he removed Nicolae he says the line will end with Margaritha. It's all very sad.

Last edited:
The King did not said the Line would end with his eldest daughter.

The King did not said the Line would end with his eldest daughter.

I'm sorry didn't he? I've not read it myself but that's what many people states both here and on Twitter.

He said he took the decision regarding his grandson thinking at the future o his House after him and during his eldest daughter.

It's a very awkward position for the Crown Princess to be in. If she now reinstates Nicolae when her father is gone, it'll look terrible. If she doesn't, she's turning her back on her nephew just as her father has with his grandson.

A very difficult situation indeed!

Last edited:
It's a very awkward position for the Crown Princess to be in. If she now reinstates Nicolae when her father is gone, it'll look terrible. If she doesn't, she's turning her back on her nephew just as her father has with his grandson.

That could all depend on what ends up being revealed about why Nicholas was removed in the future.

If, for example, it becomes clear that this was Nicholas' decision and Margareta doesn't reinstate him then she could be seen as respecting his wishes. Or if it's revealed that Nicholas really has done something worthy of being deprived of his titles - like Irina - that we haven't been told, then Margareta won't be expected to restore Nicholas' titles (she's not expected to one day restore Irina's).

On the other hand, if whatever has caused this to happen wasn't entirely justified then Margareta wouldn't be seen in a negative light for restoring her nephew. Sometimes Michael has been reasonable in depriving his descendants of the succession rights and titles he's granted them - Irina being a perfect example - but other times not so much - he used the behaviour of Irina and her second husband to justify stripping Irina's children and grandchildren from her first marriage of their succession rights.

Until such a time as we know why Nicholas has been deprived of his titles/succession rights it's hard to judge just whether or not Michael is justified.

Paul might take advantage of the situation and make a claim. But I do not think he has much support.

Romanian court rules Prince Paul member of Royal House of Romania

I don't think Paul has a lot of support now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to use this to gain support. Unlike Michael, Paul has a clear line of succession that technically speaking follows the old laws of succession - Paul and his son are male male-line descendants of Carol II, unlike Michael's daughters and grandchildren, and technically speaking Paul's line is more senior than Michael's (Paul's father, Carol, being Michael's elder half-brother).

Sometimes Michael has been reasonable in depriving his descendants of the succession rights and titles he's granted them - Irina being a perfect example - but other times not so much - he used the behaviour of Irina and her second husband to justify stripping Irina's children and grandchildren from her first marriage of their succession rights.

I've also read Michael did not approve of Sophie's marriage and removed her from succession to only re-instate her later.

I've also read Michael did not approve of Sophie's marriage and removed her from succession to only re-instate her later.

I read something to that extent as well, but I couldn't remember which daughter it was.

In some ways, Michael comes off as having too much power when it comes to who is and isn't in the succession. It's not an uncommon issue with non-reigning houses as any change to the old rules of succession are at the whim of whoever is the head of the house - what they say goes. You don't see this in reigning European houses because they don't typically have that kind of power. Even in a European realm where the monarch can unilaterally remove someone from the succession, they can't exactly do so without justification. Michael isn't prohibited in this regards.

Many royalists rediscovered today the Constitution of 1923 and the Line of Succession of the Princes of Hohenzollern.

I dont see any point in having a thread, leave alone a discussion about succession in romania.
This seems an institutional equivalent of a lawless dictatorship. People seem to be brought in and kicked out at the whim and fancy of the 'monarch', supposing he is sound and in-touch enough to have whims. No valid explanation, no reason, no machination. Apparently it suddenly dawned on them that the guy is not 'great/noble/whatever' enough for the country. Tommorrow his daughter may bring some distant cousin who is a yoga instructor in Peru, and then kick her out for not being gracious enough..or not curtseying deep enough for a certain doo-dah-dah..
Complete lack of professionalism, utter disregard for public opinion..
PS I sound too judgemental but there is no way I believe the 'he doesnt want this life' stuff..

Last edited:
Nobody changed this Line of Succession:

HH Karl Friedrich, Prince of Hohenzollern (b. 1952)
Alexander, Hereditary Prince of Hohenzollern (b. 1987)
Prince Albrecht of Hohenzollern (b. 1954)
Prince Ferdinand of Hohenzollern (b. 1960)
Prince Aloys of Hohenzollern (b. 1999)
Prince Fidelis of Hohenzollern (b. 2001)
Prince Johann-Georg of Hohenzollern (b. 1932)
Prince Carl Christian of Hohenzollern (b. 1962)
Prince Nicolas of Hohenzollern (b. 1999)
Prince Hubertus of Hohenzollern (b. 1966)
Prince Ferfried of Hohenzollern (b. 1943)
Prince Meinrad of Hohenzollern (b. 1925)
Prince Carl Alexander of Hohenzollern (b. 1970)
Carlos Patrick von Hohenzollern (styled Prince of Hohenzollern) (b. 1978)

He is only eleventh in the Line of Succession so...

And poor Carl Alexander whose elevator does not go all the way to the top floor. No, that will not do at all.

In Spain when they returned the monarchy they jumped succession to have a young modern king. If Nicholas is the popular choice, if the monarchy friendly party returned, could Romania return the monarchy with Nicholas and ignore certain succession changes of Michael?

Nicholas won't do anything against a public statement of his grandfather so ...only the Geeman Hohenzollerns remain.

What are the chances Michael changes his mind like he did with Sophie and re-instate him?

In Spain when they returned the monarchy they jumped succession to have a young modern king. If Nicholas is the popular choice, if the monarchy friendly party returned, could Romania return the monarchy with Nicholas and ignore certain succession changes of Michael?

Of course they could. A new constitution and a proclamation from the parliament on who is king on the restored throne.

The German Hohenzollerns represent the only option for many now.

Actually, the renunciation and the perhaps not-so-savvy way it was handled has seemingly increased Nicholas' popularity.

So, if Margarita were to reinstate him in the future, this would be an option.

Who do you suppose agreed with this strange change made at the beginning of august?

The entire family has agreed to the change now.

It was sudden, but it needed to be done.

However, it can be reversed.

Princess Elena was not there so I really doubt the entire Family had been asked before the decision was taken.

Princess Elena was not there so I really doubt the entire Family had been asked before the decision was taken.

I did not saw that everyone had been asked before the decision was taken.

However, the Royal Family agrees that this was the best course of action.

We do not know all of the circumstances, and it is best this way.

Nicholas has returned to being a private citizen.

This is optimal for now, but it can change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom