Succession to the Romanian Throne, Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True and I am sure king Carl Gustav will be the first to agree that he is a member of the house Bernadotte. However, he may also point out that despite that, Bernadotte is not his last name as he has no last name.

Gosh... the King's son-in-law adding the name Bernadotte to his name. Where did that come from, all out of the blue... So weird... they are not Bernadottes, you claim ?

:flowers:

A reigning King can decide to change the surname of thid Royal Family and the Parliament can approve it. King Michael's decision is a private one and the Hohenzollerns did not even isdued a Statement to answer to such a decision.
The royal history of Romania is all linked with Hohenzollerns that were proud to be Hohenzollerns.
Now anyway it is irrelevant .

That is true. All those changes, additions and removals by Michal's own personal whims are most discutable. What I say: when a monarchy is no longer functional, a glass dome is placed over it. Everything is frozen. Too bad for them.

Some German Hohenzollern-relatives went to Court to fight the Hausgesetz which also regulates who is in line of succession for the headship of the House. Some German Hohenzollerns found the Hausgesetz outdated (as some fellow posters here find the Romanian Royal Constutition outdated). Some thought they were unlawfully removed because of a non-Standesgemäß marriage, some thought that females and males should have equal rights, etc. Anyway, plenty of reasons also heard here why the Romanian rules "should cope with modern time".

The Bundesgerichtshof (the highest administrative and civil Court of Justice in Germany) ruled the Hohenzollern Hausgesetz as lawful and applicable. The Justices ruled that violations of fundamental rights of descendants in a Will can cause that -in exceptional cases- the protected testamentary freedom of a testator should be overruled because the testamentary disposition is immoral and therefore void. For an example when a regulation aims to restrict the freedom of those affected in their highly personal decisions or reducing them in their human dignity.

The Bundesgerichtshof disagreed that the disputed Erbunfähigkeitsklausel (the clausule making Heirs unfit for succession) would aim to intervene in the selection of a particular spouse or children, or to defame not evenly matched marriage according to the views of the Nobility. Rather the aim was that a suitable successor should be found for the historic and traditional patrimonium. Such an objective is covered by the testamentary freedom. In contrast, the invasion of the fundamental rights falls not so significant that the Erbunfähigkeitsklausel would be immoral and therefore void. The legitimate interests of the descendants are already safeguarded by the inheritance laws, which assures every legal heir a part of the estate.

After this verdict by the Bundesgerichtshof the present head of the House, Prince Georg Friedrich, remained the head indeed, notwithstanding the fact that he is by no means the most senior agnate at all and that according "modern idea" Standesgemäß marriages are rubbish and that these Hohenzollerns who violated the Hausgesetz should be in line of succession too. This shows that the Justices still attach importance to legal documents from before 1918, even though there is no longer an existing monarchy.

The most senior male Hohenzollern, the Evangelic Vicar Prince Philipp Kirill von Hohenzollern (* 1968) can -like King Michael- take a pen and paper, call himself the Chef des Hauses and place his six children with Mrs Anna Soltau in line of the Prussian succession, but this is not how it works. The Bundesgerichtshof was clear that House rules are in force as long as no legal rights are infringed. So Cory is right: a King in exile can not just change everything to his own whims.

Last edited:
The trouble with royalist groups and associations in former monarchies is that they seem to grow too big for their boots and have delusions that they somehow can decree what should happen in the event of a restoration. More often than not they give monarchism a bad name with their factions, bitching and back-biting.

Ironically, if a restoration does ever occur - in Romania or anywhere else - it will be (i) because enough influential politicians & opinion-makers see the interest (for them!) in it and (ii) because Joe/Jo Public 'decides' (is persuaded) that it's what s/he wants.
This is what happened in France in 1852 (and almost in 1872-3), in Greece in 1935 and in Spain in 1975.

If the Romanian public at large were asked to choose between HRH Princess Margareta of Romania, Mr. Nicholas Medforth-Mills and Herr Karl Friedrich Prinz von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen as their restored Monarch, I wonder whom they would vote for?

Last edited:
Mr Medforth Mills has many supporters without any doubt.

The trouble with royalist groups and associations in former monarchies is that they seem to grow too big for their boots and have delusions that they somehow can decree what should happen in the event of a restoration. More often than not they give monarchism a bad name with their factions, bitching and back-biting.

Ironically, if a restoration does ever occur - in Romania or anywhere else - it will be (i) because enough influential politicians & opinion-makers see the interest (for them!) in it and (ii) because Joe/Jo Public 'decides' (is persuaded) that it's what s/he wants.
This is what happened in France in 1852 (and almost in 1872-3), in Greece in 1935 and in Spain in 1975.

If the Romanian public at large were asked to chose between HRH Princess Margareta of Romania, Mr. Nicholas Medforth-Mills and Herr Karl Friedrich Prinz von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen as their restored Monarch, I wonder whom they would vote for?

Do you speak about HH Prince Karl of Hohenzollern?

[...]
If the Romanian public at large were asked to choose between HRH Princess Margareta of Romania, Mr. Nicholas Medforth-Mills and Herr Karl Friedrich Prinz von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen as their restored Monarch, I wonder whom they would vote for?

I have the idea the average man in the street in Brasov, Timisoara or Constanta, not so interested in royalty and busy with daily survival, will look to you with a confused face and say "Huh...? Midforth? Hohenzollern?"

:lol:

By the way it is not Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. When in 1869 the branch Hohenzollern-Hechingen became extinct, there is one fürstliche House left and they all have the name Hohenzollern: the need to designate in branches has disappeared.

Last edited:
I have the idea the average man in the street in Brasov, Timisoara or Constanta, not so interested in royalty and busy with daily survival, will look to you with a confused face and say "Huh...? Midforth? Hohenzollern?"

:lol:

By the way it is not Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. When in 1869 the branch Hohenzollern-Hechingen became extinct, there is one fürstliche House left and they all have the name Hohenzollern: the need to designate in branches has disappeared.

I think you're probably right! :lol:

Do you think the names Principele Nicolae and Principele Carol (Hohenzollern) would be more familiar/recognisable to the average citizen of Romania?

Do not forget there is not a royalist majority in the country.
A lot of people would not really know the nowadays Hohenzollerns but they heard about Mr Medforth Mills.

Do not forget there is not a royalist majority in the country.
A lot of people would not really know the nowadays Hohenzollerns but they heard about Mr Medforth Mills.
I strongly disagree. Romanians are aware of their Kings and dinasty who creates the Greater Romania

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

How many Romanians would know who HH Prince Karl pf Hohenzollern is?

I did not said they know each family members. I said romanians know who is Hohenzollern family

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

I'm quite sure Romanians will be like everyone else - those that are interested in royalty and their country's history will know more than others.

Margarita and Radu seem to have reasonably high public profiles as did Nicholas, so I'm sure many people would be aware of them whether they are pro-monarchy or not.

Nicholas' profile will now have diminished somewhat and those who took an interest will probably miss seeing him and eventually forget about him.

The Romanians have all heard about the Hohenzollerns but they would hardly know the nowadays Hohenzollerns.
Mr Medforth Mills is probably much more popular than his aunt.

Nicholas' profile will now have diminished somewhat and those who took an interest will probably miss seeing him and eventually forget about him.

The impending birth of his alleged child by a Romanian young lady is hardly allowing Nicholas to fade completely from the public view.

I'm quite sure Romanians will be like everyone else - those that are interested in royalty and their country's history will know more than others.

Margarita and Radu seem to have reasonably high public profiles as did Nicholas, so I'm sure many people would be aware of them whether they are pro-monarchy or not.

Hasn't HRH Princess Margareta been seen as one of the most influential women in Romania in recent years? This would suggest (a) that she has a high profile and (b) she has considerable prestige among the public at large. Admittedly, perceptions of her husband impact her standing negatively but she seems to command considerable respect and admiration.

With regard to Nicholas, we shall see what the future holds... It is my personal hope that time will both counsel and heal.

Romania has not that many ladies high in the state pyramid, the politicians are predominantly male, so it is not so strange that Margareta has a profile. As the saying goes: In the land of the blinds, One-Eye is king...

The Princess is well known on the country but how many would really support her to be Head of State?

Romania has not that many ladies high in the state pyramid, the politicians are predominantly male, so it is not so strange that Margareta has a profile. As the saying goes: In the land of the blinds, One-Eye is king...

It's interesting that you credit her profile to the fact that she's a woman in a male-dominated society.

Being one of the rare ladies in the top of the social pyramid helps being recognized by the public in that same sea of male presence. This is pretty logical in my personal opinion.

Being one of the rare ladies in the top of the social pyramid helps being recognized by the public in that same sea of male presence. This is pretty logical in my personal opinion.

Your thoughts regarding her high profile in relation to men are interesting, Duc_et_Pair, but the surveys I was referring to refer to her profile in relation to other women, not in relation to men as well, so I don't know how she fares in that comparison.

The fact somebody is very known in a country does not mean that person has dynastic rights or could become Head of state.

The fact somebody is very known in a country does not mean that person has dynastic rights or could become Head of state.
Unless you organise a coup d'état, you don't become head of state in a democracy if you are not well-known.

"Dynastic rights" count for little: the people are sovereign and it is they who would choose what rights to confer on and on which individual/family.

Obviously for you the Constitution of 1923 means nothing.

Obviously for you the Constitution of 1923 means nothing.

Please, be courteous enough to let me express what value I attach to documents and limit yourself to expressing what value you attach to them. If I need a spokesperson or an interpreter, I'll ask for one.

Please, be courteous enough to let me express what value I attach to documents and limit yourself to expressing what value you attach to them. If I need a spokesperson or an interpreter, I'll ask for one.

When you show me a paper with your family's legal papers from 1874 or so concerning a Trust at the bank or concerning real estate, I am sure you would take that old piece of paper from 1874 as serious as legalists do concerning the Constitution of 1923...

When you show me a paper with your family's legal papers from 1874 or so concerning a Trust at the bank or concerning real estate, I am sure you would take that old piece of paper from 1874 as serious as legalists do concerning the Constitution of 1923...

Here we go again. In a democracy, the sovereignty of the people is paramount: constitutions can be, and are, changed. Romania is a republic. It can only become a monarchy again if (i) the 1923 constitution is "re"adopted and all others abrogated or (ii) a new constitution is adopted which reinstates a monarchy with a set of succession rules laid out. In both cases, this must happen with the consent of the people. If the former happens, the Hohenzollerns must reign in Romania. If the latter happens, the monarch will be whoever is chosen.

Those who wish to reinstate the 1923 constitution and its succession rules are free to campaign for it. Those who wish to reinstate the monarchy under a new constitution are equally entitled to do so.

Until a new Constitution restores the Monarchy HH Prince Karl remains theoretically future Head of the Royal House after King Michael.

Until a new Constitution restores the Monarchy HH Prince Karl remains theoretically future Head of the Royal House after King Michael.

Karl is already head of the royal house of Hohenzollern and, yes, according to the 1923 constitution, he would become King of Romania on the death of King Michael, were Romania still a monarchy governed under that constitution.
So much for the past.

Now for the present. Today, Romania is not governed under that constitution, and never will be again. It is a republic, the 1923 constitution (nor any other before the current one) having no legal force any more.

It's futile to go round in circles any more on this.

Karl is already head of the royal house of Hohenzollern and, yes, according to the 1923 constitution, he would become King of Romania on the death of King Michael, were Romania still a monarchy governed under that constitution.
So much for the past.

Now for the present. Today, Romania is not governed under that constitution, and never will be again. It is a republic, the 1923 constitution (nor any other before the current one) having no legal force any more.

It's futile to go round in circles any more on this.

One could always add, although it is with hesitation, knowing the debate it always causes, that the House of Hohenzollern relinquished their rights to the Romanian throne as late as 2008. The princely house of Hohenzollern has thus made it very clear that Romania and the house of Hohenzollern parted ways centuries ago, and despite being from the same lineage, the two entities are distinct now.

If an heir to a restored Romania throne were to be sought outside of the Romanian Royal Family at a time of restoration, it might be that the house of Hohenzollern is asked to provide an heir again, but as long as there is a Royal Family in Romania, willing to serve and able to communicate and connect with the Romanians, it is logical to assume that a dynastic restoration would start from the RF.

Which member(s)? Only time can tell, but to claim that the only 'legal' way to restore a monarchy in Romania is to restore a long-gone constitution is on par with believeing that only 3/5 of black people in America should be counted as citizens, as the American constitution originally said in its 13th amendment, or that one can be stoned to death if wearing clothes made from two different fabrics, as it says in the Bible, Leviticus 19:19.

Time's change, laws, rules and principles adjust to be relevant and a monarchy most of all, banging its head into the wall of democracy as it does, must live in the now to continue to exist. To bang on about a dead constitution and a line of succession rejected by the foreign house once in it, just serves to undermine the monarchical cause, in Romania as well as in other states where a restoration is possible.

When the house of Hohenzollern made it clear that they do not wish to claim rights to the Romanian throne, and King Michael thereafter wrote a proposed new line of succession for parliament to consider should they wish to restore the monarchy, it seems to me that things were done correctly by the dynastic members of both the house of Hohenzollern and the Romanian RF. It therefore follows that any future Romanian monarch will come from the RF, unless something unforeseen happens, and that is where it stands.

Last edited:
How was the relationship from Queen Anne wth the Hohenzollern ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom