Royal Family of Romania current events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The crown princess looked so radiant!

Is there a way to see the family website in English? My Romanian is not yet where I can read an entire website as I am in the beginning stages.... So, I would love to know if there is a link to the website in English?

The official site of the Romanian Royal Family is in Romanian.

Is there a way to see the family website in English? My Romanian is not yet where I can read an entire website as I am in the beginning stages.... So, I would love to know if there is a link to the website in English?

It appears that there isn't an option to browse the Romanian Royal Family's website in English yet, although if your using Google, it should be automatically translated. (It does this for me.) If not, I've discovered a way to translate articles and websites using Google Translate:

- Go onto googletranslate.com.
- Click on the language you wish to translate from. In this case it will be 'Romanian --> English'.
- Copy the article's URL into the first white box.
- Click on the link in the second white and the article should be translated.

Hope this helps. :flowers:

I found on the royal family website, can someone help me with some of the info in this report? I find a great document. Too bad other families don't really have one (aside from financial of course). It would be nice to see if other non reigning families have this

I found on the royal family website, can someone help me with some of the info in this report? I find a great document. Too bad other families don't really have one (aside from financial of course). It would be nice to see if other non reigning families have this

Darn. It won't let me attach

Swedish royal magazine "Kungliga magasinet" has on it's newest issue the interview of princes Radu and Nicolae.
"The princes on the comeback of monarchy in Romania"
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....7922_585124668271392_184705252340059119_n.jpg

This sounds so interesting that I'm going to buy the magazine when it comes to stores here in Finland.
Roger Lundgren, who interviewed the princes, is invited to crown princess Margarita's and prince Radu's garden party in May.

I did not see the interview but Princess Margareta's husband usually does not speak about the coming back of Monarchy.

I did not see the interview but Princess Margareta's husband usually does not speak about the coming back of Monarchy.

"The princes on the comeback of the monarchy in Romania", doesn't necessarily mean that they spoke about it. It could easily be the magazines interpretation.

When I read the title, I didn't immediately think that the interview given meant that the princes spoke about it. I assumed that the magazine wanted to talk about it, and that the princes answered or were asked generic questions. But, who am I to say being that I do not read Swedish or Finnish. Lady Fin, it would be wonderful if you would translate it for us when it comes out.

Thanks!

Princess Margareta's husband wanted to become the president of the republic but in the end he gave up this project.

We could be only happy Princess Margareta's husband does not speak about elections anymore.

He obviously wanted to do something for Romania but the way he tried it with the debate about becoming president of the republic was not very appreciated by many royalists.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the interview in swedish Kungliga Magasinet, by special reporter Roger Lundgren.

Prince Nicholas, you are quite new at the royal circles and got your royal status from your grandfather king Michael as late as in 2007.
Nicholas: Yes, I grew up in Great Britain. It took a long time until I realized that my grandfather was somehow special, that he was a king and the family had a royal inheritance. For me he has always been a grandfather. But as an adult I have travelled with him, and seen the respect he gets everywhere. I was with him at the funeral of Otto von Habsburg and it was touching to see how all the royals, politicians and other prominent persons greeted him. I have also learned that he means very much for many Romanians.
What contacts the prince has had with Romania?
N: For the first time I went to Romania when I was a little boy. Then my grandparents and the rest of the family were greeted by big crowds of people. Of course I thought that was very exciting. But my life was in Great Britain. Nowadays I live in Bucharest in my own apartment and work part time at a publishing house and try to help my family with representation. I try to learn to speak Romanian fluently, which isn’t easy.
How has it been getting used to living a royal life?
N: It was a little special to become a prince in a one night, which I became although I am a grandchild of a king and related to the most royal houses in Europe. I take small steps and follow my aunt and uncle. I see how they work and I think it is exciting. We must remember that Romania is a republic and we as the royal family create our roles ourselves, but I think it has gone well so far.
It makes me inevitably wonder: your grandfather has appointed the prince as the future head of the Romanian royal family. You are number three in succession order after your aunt and mother. If Romania would like to reinstate the monarchy, would the prince then be ready to be a king?
N: It is obvious that if the Romanian people would want to reinstate the monarchy as a form of government, will I and my family members set up. Otherwise I would never have agreed to the fine title and the trust my grandfather showed me a few years ago.

Prince Radu, Romania has not formally been a monarchy since 1947 when your father-in-law was forced to abdicate. Despite this, you seem to have contacts with all the other royal houses in Europe. How is it possible?
Radu: The relations between the Romanian royal family and the other royal houses go back to the late 1800s when King Carol I established contacts with the other royal families. There are also family connections with the other royal families. The friendship between the Swedish and the Romanian royal families was strongest between King Gustaf VI Adolf and Queen Helen. She lived in exile in Italy in Villa Sparta for many years and the Swedish king visited her when he was in Italy. We have many photographs from that time.
How do you see the connection with the Swedish royal family today?
R: We have a very good relationship with the royal family. The royal couple has visited Romania and we have visited them in Solliden. We attended at the wedding of the crown princess and the king’s 60th birthday and I and crown princess Margarita visit Sweden as often as we can. We have spent private holidays in Sweden and visited Malmö together with empress Farah at the end of 1990s. During this visit we had lunch with prince Daniel, prince Carl Philip, princess Christina and her husband Tord Magnuson.
How is the prince's relationship with your parents-in-law?
R: My parents-in-law are outstanding people. They haven't had easy lives during all the years in exile. They had no fortune to live with and five daughters to support, my father-in-law had to work hard. When Ceausescu ruled Romania my father-in-law was always observed, though he lived in Switzerland, Ceausescu was terrified of the king and wanted him under surveillance. When Romania became free in 1989 my in-laws tried to enter the country. But it was difficult for them. Governments were long afraid of their popularity. 1992 the Royal Couple went home to Bucharest and were greeted by a million people. The government was frightened even more, and for five years the king was banned to go home. But in 1997, my father-in-law got back his citizenship and later the government even returned his home, castle Elisabeta, where I and Crown Princess Margarita have lived for many years.
I understand that Prince Radu has a background from the film and theater world. What has it meant for you in your royal role, have experience as an actor?
R: Actually a lot. Many of our tasks are about to appear in front of people, give speeches and be relaxed in public places. I feel that my education from the University of Bucharest, where I studied drama and film, gives me a good ground to stand on. After I began to represent the royal family, I have also received several assignments from the Romanian state. It has been a great honor for me to work for my country.

Last edited:
From the interview in swedish Kungliga Magasinet, by special reporter Roger Lundgren.

Prince Nicholas, you are quite new at the royal circles and got your royal status from your grandfather king Michael as late as in 2007.
Nicholas: Yes, I grew up in Great Britain. It took a long time until I realized that my grandfather was somehow special, that he was a king and the family had a royal inheritance. For me he has always been a grandfather. But as an adult I have travelled with him, and seen the respect he gets everywhere. I was with him at the funeral of Otto von Habsburg and it was touching to see how all the royals, politicians and other prominent persons greeted him. I have also learned that he means very much for many Romanians.
What contacts the prince has had with Romania?
N: For the first time I went to Romania when I was a little boy. Then my grandparents and the rest of the family were greeted by big crowds of people. Of course I thought that was very exciting. But my life was in Great Britain. Nowadays I live in Bucharest in my own apartment and work part time at a publishing house and try to help my family with representation. I try to learn to speak Romanian fluently, which isn’t easy.
How has it been getting used to living a royal life?
N: It was a little special to become a prince in a one night, which I became although I am a grandchild of a king and related to the most royal houses in Europe. I take small steps and follow my aunt and uncle. I see how they work and I think it is exciting. We must remember that Romania is a republic and we as the royal family create our roles ourselves, but I think it has gone well so far.
It makes me inevitably wonder: your grandfather has appointed the prince as the future head of the Romanian royal family. You are number three in succession order after your aunt and mother. If Romania would like to reinstate the monarchy, would the prince then be ready to be a king?
N: It is obvious that if the Romanian people would want to reinstate the monarchy as a form of government, will I and my family members set up. Otherwise I would never have agreed to the fine title and the trust my grandfather showed me a few years ago.

Prince Radu, Romania has not formally been a monarchy since 1947 when your father-in-law was forced to abdicate. Despite this, you seem to have contacts with all the other royal houses in Europe. How is it possible?
Radu: The relations between the Romanian royal family and the other royal houses go back to the late 1800s when King Carol I established contacts with the other royal families. There are also family connections with the other royal families. The friendship between the Swedish and the Romanian royal families was strongest between King Gustaf VI Adolf and Queen Helen. She lived in exile in Italy in Villa Sparta for many years and the Swedish king visited her when he was in Italy. We have many photographs from that time.
How do you see the connection with the Swedish royal family today?
R: We have a very good relationship with the royal family. The royal couple has visited Romania and we have visited them in Solliden. We attended at the wedding of the crown princess and the king’s 60th birthday and I and crown princess Margarita visit Sweden as often as we can. We have spent private holidays in Sweden and visited Malmö together with empress Farah at the end of 1990s. During this visit we had lunch with prince Daniel, prince Carl Philip, princess Christina and her husband Tord Magnuson.
How is the prince's relationship with your parents-in-law?
R: My parents-in-law are outstanding people. They haven't had easy lives during all the years in exile. They had no fortune to live with and five daughters to support, my father-in-law had to work hard. When Ceausescu ruled Romania my father-in-law was always observed, though he lived in Switzerland, Ceausescu was terrified of the king and wanted him under surveillance. When Romania became free in 1989 my in-laws tried to enter the country. But it was difficult for them. Governments were long afraid of their popularity. 1992 the Royal Couple went home to Bucharest and were greeted by a million people. The government was frightened even more, and for five years the king was banned to go home. But in 1997, my father-in-law got back his citizenship and later the government even returned his home, castle Elisabeta, where I and Crown Princess Margarita have lived for many years.
I understand that Prince Radu has a background from the film and theater world. What has it meant for you in your royal role, have experience as an actor?
R: Actually a lot. Many of our tasks are about to appear in front of people, give speeches and be relaxed in public places. I feel that my education from the University of Bucharest, where I studied drama and film, gives me a good ground to stand on. After I began to represent the royal family, I have also received several assignments from the Romanian state. It has been a great honor for me to work for my country.

Thank you for sharing. The princes did a great job, especially a avoiding the major politics.

The program of the Royal Family of Romania for the 10th of May celebrations | Casa Regală a României

HRH Princess Margareta (accompagnied by her husband), HRH Princess Maria and her nephew Nicholas at the statue of King Carol I on the National Feast Day of the 10th of May:

Flori la statuia Regelui Carol I, 10 mai 2014 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

It is an event organized each year by the Royal Family but unfortunately HM the King decided not to take part probably because of his age.

The 1oth of May is the Feast of the Indepence (1877) and of the Kingdom (1881) but also the Feast of the arrival of Prince Carol I in Bucharest for the first time ( 1866).

A concert was organized at the Athenaeum to commemorate the great Romanian Greek-Catholic royalist politician Corneliu Coposu. The husband of HRH Princess Margareta took part at this event together with HE Monsignor Dr. Claudiu Pop, Bishop of the Major Archbishopric Curia of the Romanian Greek-Catholic Church, and with HE Monsignor Mihai Fratila, Auxiliary Greek-Catholic Bishop of Alba Iulia and Fagaras and Vicar of Bucharest:

Imagini de la concertul în memoria lui Corneliu Coposu, Ateneul Român, 20 mai 2014 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Dinner offered by the Royal Family at the 100 Anniversary of Coneliu Coposu attended by HE Monsignor Mihai Fratila, Greek-Catholic Auxiliary Bishop of Alba Iulia and by the ex political leader Emil Constantinescu:

Dineu în memoria lui Corneliu Coposu, oferit de familia regal? a României

HRH Princess Margareta (accompagnied by her husband), HRH Princess Maria and her nephew Nicholas at the statue of King Carol I on the National Feast Day of the 10th of May:

Flori la statuia Regelui Carol I, 10 mai 2014 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Gallery
MEDIAFAX Foto

Photos from the Garden Party today. Crown princess Margarita, prince Radu, princess Maria and prince Nicolae attended.
MEDIAFAX Foto

Video
Garden Party la Palatul Elisabeta, de Ziua Regalităţii Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR

Last edited:
The President of the Senate and different members of the Government were present, sign of normal relationships between the authorities and the Royal Family.

Things really changed in the last 24 years bu it is really hard to say when the Monarchy will be really established again.

What a lovely looking event and superb photos as usual. It is indeed a sign of a normal relationship between the authorities and the Royal Family and this is always a good thing whatever the outcome. As usual, I am impressed with how things seems to be done in Romania - more so the superficial things like table decorations (!) but certainly also the cordiality.

Princess Irina has two children one boy, Michael, and one girl. They were born in Oregon and still live here. What is their role in the Romanian royal family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom