Royal Family of Romania current events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One can not ignore the 1923 Constitution. Michael von Hohenzollern was "King of Romania" exactly because of that document. His whole existence as former head of state of Romania, the current arrangements between the State of Romania and the former King are exactly because he once was head of state under that Constitution.

What differentiates Michael von Hohenzollern from a Mr X or a Mr Y is exactly that 1923 Constitution. Every one-sided change to the constitutional rules is undermining King Michael's own existence as "former King". If that Constitution is just handled like a piece of paper to wipe someone's derrière with, that is pretty telling about such a person "maintaining the Constitution".

In my opinion, when a monarchy is defunct, then the rules concerning it are frozen. It is really not that difficult. Elizabeth Windsor is Queen according to the very same rules which made her ancestor Victoria Queen. Georg Friedrich von Hohenzollern is head of the former Royal House of Prussia. Karl von Habsburg is head of the former Imperial House of Austria. Both according to the same rules which made that their ancestors Wilhelm II respectively Karl I Emperors. The idea that we should pity them there in Romania or Savoia because the rules are frozen are pretty subjective as we all accept that Carl XVI Gustaf is King while he is the youngest of 5 children, just because his House obeyed the rules which already were followed by the predecessors of the Bernadottes on the Swedish throne.

When defunct Royal Houses start to fiddle with the rules and make their own fantasy arrangements with all chaotic consequences (Romania!), purely to the whim of one person and not backed by any legislative base or body, then this is the best recipe fragmentating and disappearing in obscurity.

The best solution in Romania would be mixing the two conflicting wishes: King Michael's desire to see his flesh and blood at the head of his House vs the arrangements in the very same document he claims his whole existence as King on. Mixing this means: a marriage of Prince Alexander von Hohenzollern with Karina Medforth-Mills or Elisabeth Biarneix. Then both "factions" can be happy.

We cannnot ignore the 1923 Constitution as a historical document because as you say, it made King Michael Head of State as King of Romania in 1927. As a consequence, his current position under the current arrangements is former head of state. This puts him on a par with all other former heads of state under all former constitutions (1866 through 1991), from Carol I to Basescu. I don't see how this can be undermined or changed because it's historical fact.

Today, in real terms, the 1923 constitution has been binned, rejected, consigned to history. It no longer has any legal status in Romania, having been replaced by, most recently, the 1991 version (with amendments). In France, the constitution of the 5th republic replaced that of the 4th. It didn't erase the constitution from history but it did erase it from the present. Just because one acknowledges that a document has passed into history, it doesn't mean that one disrespects it as toilet paper.

King Michael has never presumed to have the right to change any constitution. As his decisions to create his own house, severing links with the Hohenzollerns, and to designate his daughter future head of that house, have no constitutional impact whatsoever, Romania having a republican constitution, he cannot be accused of having changed (or tried to change) any constitutional rules one-sidedly.

He has, however, requested that the succession rules of his house be adopted if Romania should ever decide to restore a monarchy. Adopting the position that the rules are "frozen" at the moment of the abolition of a monarchy creates a major problem. It obliges the heir to defend or maintain the civic rules of a former time - and the social norms that underpinned them - which have since been rejected by the society that made them.

Among many former houses across Europe, from France, through Italy, Saxony, Romania and Russia, we see dynastic disputes between "frozen rules" and "evolved rules" factions, accusing one another of being either outmoded and divisive or whimsical and divisive and suggesting that either by moving with the times or by not moving with the times, the faction in question is damaging the overall cause. On that score, both sides are probably right.

The proposal of the King will be ignored because in his Line of Succession there are his grandaughters who do not even speak the language and live abroad.

The King issued a Statement saying that his Family and him were close to the families of the ones who had died or had been injured in the last night tragedy in Colectiv Club Bucharest:

http://www.realitatea.net/mesajul-e...pa-incendiul-din-clubul-colectiv_1821126.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-fire-explosion-nightclub-Colectiv-death-toll

A normal gesture of the King's Family in such a tragic moment for so many people in the capital..

Maybe at this evening interview at the National Television Princess Margareta will say if she really supports the restoration of Monarchy and who will continue to represent her Family after her.

What happened few days ago really changed the perception of the civil society towards the politicians.

In these difficult and troubled moments it is very important the King's Family could bring hope and reconciliation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The proposal of the King will be ignored because in his Line of Succession there are his grandaughters who do not even speak the language and live abroad.

Then I hope you find a German Prince of Hohenzollern who speaks Romanian and lives in Romania, to make your argument valid.

You really do not answer any questions, Cory, just remain deadlocked in a campaign against the Royal Family. I guess that's answer enough in itself.

Another tragedy. Just young children who like to enjoy a concert :sad:

A normal gesture of the King's Family in such a tragic moment for so many people in the capital..

A terrible and tragic loss of life. It is a kind and caring gesture for the Crown Princess, her husband and her sister to show their solidarity and sympathy with those concerned.

A terrible and tragic loss of life. It is a kind and caring gesture for the Crown Princess, her husband and her sister to show their solidarity and sympathy with those concerned.

It's a terrible tragedy that has happened in Bucharest, and it is good to see the Crown Princess, Princess Maria and Prince Radu in a sombre setting of warmth, affection and sadness towards all those affected. Life is often times far too short, and a little kindness goes a very long way.

What happened few days ago really changed the perception of the civil society towards the politicians.

I don't think it changed it at all, I think it cemented what people already think. The PM resigning was no surprise, after having his time in power marked by accusations and incidents that are not condusive to a democracy, and having resisted calls from the President to resign earlier, he could not survive with the population turning their anger following the dreadful fire, onto him.

What matters now, is that the graceful example of the Royal Family standing vigil with burning lights, showing calmness and warmth, does help to defuse the situation from escalating, and PM Ponta made the right decision for his government to resign, calmly and succinctly.

How nice that after a long time and because natural of christmas saw the queen again.

Both the former King and Queen look very, very fragile. Best wishes to them.

Crown princess Margarita, prince Radu and princess Maria delivered Christmas presents to the staff of the royal house on 16th December.
Cadouri de Crăciun pentru colaboratorii de la Palatul Elisabeta _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

Margarita, Radu and Maria spent the Christmas at Săvârșin Castle, photos from various events on 23rd December
Colindători și daruri de Crăciun la Săvârșin, 23 decembrie 2015 _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

The family has got a lot of Christmas Cards
Crăciunul 2015, în familie _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

I can see it are royal Christmas wishes. The one behind the head of Princess Margareta is sent by King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians. The one at the complete left, a white card with a red monogram, looks like a card from Prince Albert and Princess Charlène de Monaco. The one at the complete right is a card from King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain, depticing their daughters Doña Leonor and Doña Sofía.

Crown princess Margarita, prince Radu and princess Maria delivered Christmas presents to the staff of the royal house on 16th December.
Cadouri de Crăciun pentru colaboratorii de la Palatul Elisabeta _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

Margarita, Radu and Maria spent the Christmas at Săvârșin Castle, photos from various events on 23rd December
Colindători și daruri de Crăciun la Săvârșin, 23 decembrie 2015 _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

The family has got a lot of Christmas Cards
Crăciunul 2015, în familie _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

Many Christmas Cards indeed!!! besides those already mentioned above from another poster I believe that the first two cards left belong to Princess Lea of Belgium and the other in the Princes of Liechtenstein.

Without wanting to become boring i missing for all those pictures with Christmas activities the Prince Nikolae oups! sorry i mean Nicolae Medforth-Mills.

Last edited:
Many Christmas Cards indeed!!! besides those already mentioned above from another poster I believe that the first two cards left belong to Princess Lea of Belgium and the other in the Princes of Liechtenstein.

Without wanting to become boring i missing for all those pictures with Christmas activities the Prince Nikolae oups! sorry i mean Nicolae Medforth-Mills.

The very same thought struck me when I saw the photos. The Crown Princess, Prince Radu and Princess Maria are doing a dignified and good job representing the Royal Family and solidifying the royal presence in Romania, but the energy of youth and future generations is sorely missing without Nicholas. It has been a good addition to the royal presence that Princess Maria has stepped out more this year, she has seemed genuine and warm in all activities she has undertaken on behalf of her family. The only thing that worries me, is the lack of presence from the next generation with the abscence of Nicholas, and that does need resolving in 2016, if the process to revive the monarchy is to continue.

Last edited:
Next week, Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu make a private visit to Switzerland, where they will spend a few days with King Michael and Queen Anne.
The Royal Family was together in mid-December in Switzerland before the Christmas holidays in Săvârşin. Now, after the holidays, Margarita and Radu will go to Switzerland with presents, cards and messages received by Their Majesties from Romania, during Christmas 2015 and New Year 2016.
During their stay in Switzerland, Their Majesties and Their Royal Highnesses will attend a festive lunch, to which family friends will be invited.
Regele Mihai și Regina Ana, ianuarie 2016 _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

The royal couple does not live in their country. Hardly a popular choice.

http://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/regele-mihai-si-regina-ana-ianuarie-2016/

Hard to know what the King really prefers now.

Let's hope the Catholic faith of the Queen will be respected.

Marilena Rotaru was the soul of that program but obviously she was too royalist and she was not allowed to continue to do it.

The Princess will represent the King during this period of treatment.

Will they respect the Catholic faith of the Queen?
The Queen has always been Catholic.

If we look at the commemoration of the late Lutheran Queen Eisabeta only in an Orthodox church I would not be so sure the religious affiliation of the nowadays Queen will be more respected.

If so the Catholic faith of the Queen has chances to be respected.

That, to begin with, of course is the first off-key note: the State of Romania has been pretty forthcoming but the former King seems to prefer Switzerland...

Crown princess Margarita and prince Radu were on a private visit at king Michael and queen Anne on 20-25 January.
On Sunday 24th January the royal family celebrated the beginning of the year with his Majesty's house staff, as well as family friends and close acquaintances.
Being for several days in a clinic for medical tests, the queen was visited by Crown Princess Margarita. Her Majesty has read the news on the iPad.
The crown princess and prince Radu had brought the Christmas greetings and presents that the king and queen had received. Their Majesties thank all those who have sent good wishes for Christmas and New Year and have sent proof of their affection and respect.
Regele și Regina, sărbătoriți la început de an _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

Thanks Eya for sending the interesting article about the relationship of Princess Magarita and Gordon Brown when they were students and her life when she was young.

On an interesting board about scandinavian royals there is a thread concering Princess Margaretha of Denmark and her husband Prince René of Bourbon Parma.

The Princesses of Roumania were closer to Queen Helen than their Danish Grandmother.

The 4 Princesses of Romania were on the list of many royal families as future bride .
(e.a. Luxembourg) but it failed.

Except Margarita, they married commoners and divorced !

Reactions: eya
The eldest sister married a commoner too.

But - unlike her sisters - she has not divorced from him.

She needs him and he is doing good work !

MAfan do you really think that Queen Anne will have national funerals in Bucarest ?

But I think King Michael will have . The actuel Government will be honored by the royal attendence and TV.

MAfan do you really think that Queen Anne will have national funerals in Bucarest ?

But I think King Michael will have . The actuel Government will be honored by the royal attendence and TV.
Honestly I do not know the answer. I'd expect a State funeral or however some official ceremony for King Michael, as a former Head of State, but for his wife I really don't know.

I believe that would respect the desire of the Queen, whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom