Romanian Noble and Princely Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had never heard of Vladimir Ghika and I'm reading up on him now. Very interesting.

Does anyone know if any other members of the Ghika family also converted to catholicism?

The descendants of Prince Dimitrie Ghika are I suppose all Catholics but they belong to the De Briey noble Family.

O.k. I have just begun reading about royalty from Romania and am wondering about another royal member. Her name is Princess Briana Coradja. Why isn't she included in these conversations? She is a descendant isn't she? And who is Prince Ottmar ( I think that is how it is spelled ) ? Was he not adopted or something? Sorry if this has already been answered. As I said, I joined you folks late.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

O.k. I have just begun reading about royalty from Romania and am wondering about another royal member. Her name is Princess Briana Coradja. Why isn't she included in these conversations? She is a descendant isn't she? And who is Prince Ottmar ( I think that is how it is spelled ) ? Was he not adopted or something? Sorry if this has already been answered. As I said, I joined you folks late.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

From what I can tell, Briana is a descendant of the Romanian aristocracy, not the royal family.

But I read that she is the grand daughter or great grand daughter of Princess Catherine Olympia Caradja. Apparently Catgerine is the daughter of Princess Irina Catacuzino and Prince Radu Cretulescu. I guess Catherine also adopted Ottomar since she didnt have any male heirs and he was given the title of Prince. catherine died when she was 100. She left behind Princess Brianna and her adopted son Prince Ottomar. I was just curious why no one mentions them.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using The Royals Community mobile app

Because the Caradja family is not a royal family, it's an aristocratic one. It's kind of like the Galitzine's of Russia - while they have Princely titles, they themselves are nobles not royals.

Catherine's biological daughter, Alexandra, had a daughter, Brianna, who in turn has had two sons. Catherine also adopted a son, Ottomar, who died in 2007. Ottomar had a son, also named Ottomar.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. I was having a hard time understanding this. I thought you must be royal in order to have a Prince or Princess title.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using The Royals Community mobile app

Different Romanian Greek-Catholic families received noble titles from the Habsburgs in Transilvania, Banat and "Partium". One example is the Mihali of Apsa Family who gave a Metropolitan to the Romanian Greek-Catholic Church, Monsignor Victor Mihalyi of Apsa (died 1918).

Because the Caradja family is not a royal family, it's an aristocratic one. It's kind of like the Galitzine's of Russia - while they have Princely titles, they themselves are nobles not royals.

Catherine's biological daughter, Alexandra, had a daughter, Brianna, who in turn has had two sons. Catherine also adopted a son, Ottomar, who died in 2007. Ottomar had a son, also named Ottomar.

This is all so interesting! I wonder why we don't see much of these families?

Is the royal family the only Romanian family left? It would be nice to learn more about them, especially if they think they have claim to the throne.

No Romanian princely or noble family wants the Throne.

When I was living in Paris, France in the late 1960's and early 1970's I was introduced to a gentleman as Monsieur Le Prince Nicolas Sturdza who a little later introduced me to his "cousin" (I understood that their grandmothers were sisters) Monsieur Le Prince Alexandre Ghika. I moved back to the United States and lost contact with Nicolas but stayed in touch with Alexandre. His lawyer sent me a letter saying that he had died in August 2001. Does anyone have any information of the two gentlemen? I know that Alexandre's sister who had been living in Romania joined him in Paris August 1971. Thank you.

You're very welcome. Even if Blessed Prince Vladimir Ghika's brother, Prince Dimitrie Ghika, was close to the Royal Family no member of the King's Family attended the Beatification Mass.

Even if Blessed Prince Vladimir Ghika's brother, Prince Dimitrie Ghika, was close to the Royal Family no member of the King's Family attended the Beatification Mass.

This is likely because all of the members of the Royal Family to whom Prince Dimitrie Ghica was close were by 2013 long since departed from this life.

What about the descendants of the King? Didnt they find time to attend such an event about a man that celebrated the wedding of Princess Ileana and knew the Royal Family well?

Would that not be a question you would be better off posing to a member of the Royal Family?

King Michael was not close to either of his paternal aunts due to their cooperation with the Communists.

One can hardly have expected the descendants of the King to attend a ceremony for a man just because he happened to be the brother of man who was friendly with relatives that they barely (or never) knew.

Blessed Prince Vladimir Ghika's brother was close to King Michael...and the event was a symbolic one being about a man that suffered under the communism.

It is interesting how there were Romanian Sovereign Princes in the Middle Ages that were devout Catholics. One example could be Latcu who reigned in Moldova until around 1373.

Back
Top Bottom