Romanian Castles, Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many of the Romanian residences are still owned and used by the royal family?

The descendants of King Michael use Savarsin Castle and at events Peles and Pelisor. HIRH Archduke Dominic of Hasburg-Tuscany(and his sisters) own the Bran Castle. Different noble families have got back their castles but some of them sold the properties. The other residences belong to different ancient families.

Last edited:
It is a pity Pelisor Castle can't be visited so easily as Peles.

It would be interested to see if Savarsin Castle will be a residence only for some members of the King's Family or for all of them.

I suppose that we'll just have to wait and see what will happen after the death of King Michael.

You are quite right.

Transylvania is becoming a real tourist attraction and its castles are the reason for that.

Why the Habsburg-Tuscany Castle of Bran won't be a museum anymore?

The Elisabeta Palace belongs to the state and was given as an official residence for the King as former Head of State. The King lived really very little in the Palace in the last years. In the near future the government will have to take a decision regarding the Palace.

The Elisabeta Palace belongs to the state and was given as an official residence for the King as former Head of State. The King lived really very little in the Palace in the last years. In the near future the government will have to take a decision regarding the Palace.

Hopefully, the government will continue to allow it to be used by the royal family as Margarita and Radu spend a lot of time there.

The government provides residences for the former Heads of state not for their descendants.

The government provides residences for the former Heads of state not for their descendants.

Can you provide a source for this comment, or is it yet another unfounded comment, based on your own dislike for the Crown Princess and Prince Radu? The King is not a former President, he is the representative of the former ruling dynasty, that continues to be represented after the King, by his eldest daughter. It's not a comparable situation with other former republican heads of state, there is no inheritance involved in those settings. There is in a monarchy, and the cause of the monarchy, and the work done by the Royal Family will continue after the King, and it's natural that they continue the residential arrangements they've had up until now.

I do not have unfounded comments first of all because I know the Romanian situation very well.
The decision to grant King Michael an official residence in 2001 was based on a decision of the Parlianent and regarded former Heads of state . The decision regarded the King during his life time.

Last edited:
[....] it's natural that they continue the residential arrangements they've had up until now.

In my understanding Elisabeta Palace was given as a residence annex office to King Michael as a former head of state of Romania. Of course it would be nice when his daughter would also be given the use of that residence. At the cost of the Romanian taxpayer, that is. But... where is the end then?

In my understanding Elisabeta Palace was given as a residence annex office to King Michael as a former head of state of Romania. Of course it would be nice when his daughter would also be given the use of that residence. At the cost of the Romanian taxpayer, that is. But... where is the end then?

The Government must decide but the lwaw for former Heads of State does not aplly in such a new case.

Can you provide a source for this comment
The direct source is the law approved in 2001 that granted the use of the Elisabeta Palace to King Michael (as a former Head of State) and to his family, during the King's lifetime. The law also granted him - if I remember correctly - a stipend, an advisor, a secretary, security, a car and a driver, also for the lenght of his lifetime.
Unfortunately I don't know the exact number of the law nor the exact date of its approvation, but by doing some research it can be found I believe.
Also the website of the Royal Family says that the Palace in 2001 was made available as an official residence for the King and the Royal Family during the King's lifetime.
Palatul Elisabeta

Only during the life time of the King.

Actually, this is perhaps not the case.

Articles from the time (2001) also reported that Elisabeta Palace had been returned to the Royal Family under the condition that it could be used during the lifetimes of King Michael, Queen Anne, Princess Margarita and Prince Radu.

Romania: Former Monarch Wins Restitution Claim

The Palace has never been property of the King and belongs to the state. So there was no need to be "returned". The Family could use the residence only because that was the official residence of the King as former Head of State.

An interesting article and some great photos from the Royal Family of Romania website about Savarsin Castle:

Castelul Săvârșin, 15 ani | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Yesterday marked the 15th anniversary of when King Mihai I returned to the Royal Domain of Săvârşin (and Elisabeta Palace).

The article talks of all the events that have happened there over the years including Christmas and Easter celebrations as well as birthdays and other family gatherings. It also mentions some of the visitors they have had including King Simeon II and Queen Margarita of the Bulgarians, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Princess Muna of Jordan, Archduchess Maria Magdalena of Austria (daughter Princess Ileana) as well as political figures and diplomats and representatives of the Arts etc.

In the early years of the Royal Family's return, there was little in the way of finances to bring the castle back to it's former glory but after 2007 there was a turning point and proper renovation started and continued until its completion in 2015.

The restoration project has now turned towards the upkeep of the estate park and bringing it back to it's former glory including the renovation of various buildings and farmhouses on the estate.

It is planned that the Royal Village and the estate park will be open to the public from next year.

The Palace has never been property of the King and belongs to the state. So there was no need to be "returned". The Family could use the residence only because that was the official residence of the King as former Head of State.

The palace was part of a compensation package, and it stipulated that the Elisabeta Palace is usable in the lifetimes of H.M the King and/or H.R.H Crown Princess Margareta. The text of the law actually stipulates Margareta by name and position, as a continuation of the dynasty of the King after his demise. To insinuate otherwise, has no basis in law.

It is right that one law is meant to stipulate appropriate housing for every former head of state, but in the case of the King and the monarchy, this is regulated within the law passed to compensate the King and the Royal Family for confiscations of properties and valuables after the abolition of the monarchy in 1947, and clearly stipulates that the King and his heir, the Crown Princess, have lifetime use of the Elisabeta Palace.
In a republic, it's hard to find a more clear sign that they approve of the Kings decision to update the laws of succession and continue his dynasty from his eldest child, regardless of gender.

Just saying.

Domeniul Regal Sinaia
Romania: Former Monarch Wins Restitution Claim

Last edited:
Thanks for the very interesting article Jack on Savarsin Castle,I particularly liked the photo of the King Queen,Crown Princess and Prince Radu sitting down for dinner!

Back
Top Bottom