Romanian Castles, Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Incredible photographs of stunning castles. Romania looks mysterious, romantic and exotic by turns. Would love to travel the country and walk inside these masterpieces. Are any open for lodging by tourists?

The greatest Gothic style castle in Romania, Corvinesti was built in the 14th Century on the site of a former Roman camp. It served as a fortress until mid the 1400s when it became the residence of Transylvania's ruler, Iancu de Hunedoara. Iancu upgraded the fortress and it soon it became the most beautiful castle in Transylvania.

Highlights include the Gallery, the Maces' Tower, the Knights' Hall, the Council Hall and the Chapel. The courtyard features a 100 feet well dug into stone.
CASTLES and FORTRESSES, Romania - Official Travel and Tourism Information

APL Pictures

I thought that photograph of the courtyard and staircase looked familiar! I am talking about the last photograph in the series. I played a computer game about Dracula and they apparently used Corvinesti as the model of the castle where the Count could be found in the game.

I've seen many pictures of the Romanian castles. They look rather exotic like they are in a faraway land. I must admit thought the only thing that I knew about Romania was County Dracula and the story about Vampires.

The stories with "vampires" have no real base in Romanian history.
There had never been a "count Dracula" but only a Prince Vlad Dracul.

I guess because of the way this story is protrayed in the media (especially around Halloween time), this is why people believe this story.

I saw a story about Romania and there was this man who claimed that he was a decescent of Prince Vlad Dracul. The way it was presented, one wasn't sure if this was true or if it was used for dramatic purposes. The story actually was about tourism in Romania and they were talking about various places in Transylvania to visit but the main focus was the castle where Prince Vlad Dracul lived. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the program or when it aired except it was several years ago.

There are of course other places in Romania to visit. In the United States whenever tourism in Romania is discussed, it's usually Transylvania the main focus being the castle where Prince Vlad Dracul lived.

Last edited:
The stories with "vampires" have no real base in Romanian history.
There had never been a "count Dracula" but only a Prince Vlad Dracul.

I meant no disrespect to Romania. I am a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula and enjoy many of its vampire progeny in books, tv and movies, but never have I looked down on Romania due to its literary connection to the world of the vampire.

Prince Vlad Tepes lived a period in Transylvania and that's why there are some legends in no connection with hystoric facts.

A royal Cathedral is almost finished in the Monastery of Curtea de Arges.In the new Cathedral will be the tombs of the Royal Family.Even Queen-Mother Elena will be brought from Switzerland and buried in this new Royal Cathedral.

Regele Mihai va fi înmormântat în noua catedral

My dear Cory,

Thank you for posting the link but unfortunately, I cannot read the Romanian language and when I clicked on the English icon, it kept directing me away from the article and i could not locate it.

Have you had the chance to visit the castles and palaces in your beautiful country? Which is your favorite?

Savarsin Castle reflects maybe more the style of Queen-Mother Elena.

Wonderful photos with Savarsin Castle:

S

What a great link! Even though I didnt understand anything just watching it was fascinating. But I wonder where does the king get the money to maintain the palace and have such a large staff?

HM King Mihai I gets a pension from the state.

At Savarsin the Royal Mews:

Tr

Beautiful recents photos of the Royal Castle of Savarsin:

S

Back
Top Bottom