Romanian Castles, Palaces and Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
Savarsin looks exceptionally beautiful in the autumn it seems to be a favourite of the Crown Princess.

Winter Wonderland outside and very cosy inside with the fire lit.

It looks beautiful, and the dining table looks especially festive. All the same that sitting room is very large. The warmth might not be great away from the fireplace. I'd be bagging the armchair next to the fire!

Stunningly beautiful photos - so festive and wintery and perfectly captured through Princess Sofia's beautiful photography.

Photos made by Princess Sofia on the morning of Wednesday, 2 January in the royal park of Savarsin.

What a beauty!!

Parcul regal Săvârșin, la început de an 2019 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Alma, photographed by Princess Maria in Savarsin Park.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsQbeYEliFg/

"Why does Elisabeta Palace have meaning in our years?"

De ce are Palatul Elisabeta însemnătate în anii noștri? | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

https://translate.googleusercontent...700248&usg=ALkJrhiLk2Yeb97epfmmQHIFDNs8JrNUUw

Romania has the Presidency of the CE since 3 days. Will they use these palaces for President Klaus Ihannes Receptions ?

Royal Park from Savarsin in August 2019

"The photos show in particular the Hidden Garden, realized under the guidance of the university professor Florin Stănică (USAMV Bucharest), continuing the tradition and respecting the style of the park, created in the 1830s by Heinrich Nebbien, Austrian garden architect."

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/parcul-regal-de-la-savarsin-in-august-2019/

What a paradise. What a privilege to live there in those enchanting surroundings.

Because there seems no desire to change a system of in which the Romanians elect their head-of-state into a system in which the head-of-state is determined by nature?

The arrangements made with the former royal family is something you also see in other former monarchies. The former royal family is met with égards, their family's contribution to history is acknowledged and that is it.

Actually Romania probably shows the future. A completely de-politicized royal family with no formal role but nevertheless a prominent position in society. Exactly like the Duke of Bragança or the Duke of Bavaria or the Prince of Prussia.
She married at 47 so she does not have heirs, who is the next in line after Queen Margareta?

She married at 47 so she does not have heirs, who is the next in line after Queen Margareta?
Her sister Princess Elena and then her daughter Karina de Roumanie Medforth-Mills. That said the Romanian succession was mainly a suggestion made by King Michael and it's seemingly in shambles after the removal of the former Prince Nicholas.

Her sister Princess Elena and then her daughter Karina de Roumanie Medforth-Mills. That said the Romanian succession was mainly a suggestion made by King Michael and it's seemingly in shambles after the removal of the former Prince Nicholas.
Iam very surprise Margareta waited so long to get married, I mean didn't she want to have an heir. I know some times life can be difficult to find love but still for Royals have an heir is a duty, Wasn't anybody before her husband ?

Until 2008 the succession was regulated by the Constitution of the Kingdom of Romania, which was overturned in April 1948 by the Communists.

On New Year's Eve 2007 King Michael issued a new Fundamental Rules of the royal family of Romania and in that he proposed that the Romanian Parliament should abolish the Salic law, should it consider restoring the monarchy.

Line of succession as proposed by King Michael

Princess Margareta of Romania, Prinzessin von Hohenzollern
Daughter of King Michael of Romania, Prinz von Hohenzollern and Anne de Bourbon, princesse de Parme

Princess Elena of Romania, Prinzessin von Hohenzollern
Daughter of King Michael of Romania, Prinz von Hohenzollern and Anne de Bourbon, princesse de Parme

Elizabeth Karina Medforth-Mills
Daughter of Elena of Romania and Robin Medforth-Mills

Princess Sophia of Romania, Prinzessin von Hohenzollern

Elisabeth Biarneix
Daughter of Sophia of Romania and Alain Biarneix

Princess Maria of Romania, Prinzessin von Hohenzollern

Line of succession unaffected by King Michael's proposal

Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern
Son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and Margarita Prinzessin zu Leiningen

Alexander Erbprinz von Hohenzollern
Son of Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern and Alexandra Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg

Albrecht Prinz von Hohenzollern
Son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and Margarita Prinzessin zu Leiningen

Ferdinand Prinz von Hohenzollern

Aloys Prinz von Hohenzollern
Son of Ferdinand Prinz von Hohenzollern and Ilona Gräfin Kálnoky de Köröspatak

Fidelis Prinz von Hohenzollern
Son of Ferdinand Prinz von Hohenzollern and Ilona Gräfin Kálnoky de Köröspatak

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
Iam very surprise Margareta waited so long to get married, I mean didn't she want to have an heir. I know some times life can be difficult to find love but still for Royals have an heir is a duty, Wasn't anybody before her husband ?

Interestingly enough, Gordon Brown, the former prime minister of the UK – when they were students, but I'm not sure how long the relationship was.

A man who is very much not into the concept of royalty, but ended up dating a crown princess. :D

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, Gordon Brown, the former prime minister of the UK – when they were students, but I'm not sure how long the relationship was.

A man who is very much not into the concept of royalty, but ended up dating a crown princess. :D

Five years.

Gordon may not like monarchy in his country but a foreign princess another matter. Especially of a country that abolished its monarchy. I am sure he would like the BRF more if they were private citizens with meaningless titles.

Neither Princess Margareta nor her four sisters were ever successors to the throne until 2008. Meaning: Margareta only became a (proposed) heiress when she was 58 years old. Under the last democratic Constitution before Communist rule, their cousin the Fürst von Hohenzollern would have been the heir. (King Michael and his five daughters were all born Prinz / Prinzessin von Hohenzollern).

Last edited:
"Elisabeta Palace will be given free of charge by the Romanian Government for a period of 49 years to Her Majesty's House Association. The decision comes shortly after the current Executive established, in early April, the recognition of royal house as being of public utility. Elisabeta Palace, which was the official residence of King Michael I, as former head of state, is currently valued by the Government at over 44 million lei."

https://www.profit.ro/povesti-cu-pr...le-la-cat-este-evaluat-imobilul-acum-19354171

Wisteria from the Săvârșin Royal Park!!!!

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/glicinele-din-parcul-regal-savarsin/

"Elisabeta Palace will be given free of charge by the Romanian Government for a period of 49 years to Her Majesty's House Association. The decision comes shortly after the current Executive established, in early April, the recognition of royal house as being of public utility. Elisabeta Palace, which was the official residence of King Michael I, as former head of state, is currently valued by the Government at over 44 million lei."

https://www.profit.ro/povesti-cu-pr...le-la-cat-este-evaluat-imobilul-acum-19354171

More on this fascinating development from the Eurohistory Blog:

Government Gives Royal House of Romania Free Use of Elisabeta Palace for 49 Years

Amazing development in a republic. This means the Government anticipates on a successor to the current Custodian of the Crown.

The Hidden Garden at Săvârșin Royal Park, created by professor Florin Stănică, vice-rector of the University of Agronomic Sciences in Bucharest, and by Prince Radu. The garden was designed and built in 2015-2018. Music composed by King Mihai I in 1941.

During July, August and September 2020, Elizabeta Palace opens its doors to visitors. Visitors will have access to the public halls of the palace: Michael I Salon, Contemporary Art Gallery, Carol I and Elizabeth Salon, White Salon, Her Majesty's Office, Kings Hall, Marble Hall and Great Dining Room.

"Every year, Her Majesty Margareta wants the people of Savarshin to see the facade of the castle decorated with white lights for Christmas. In this sad and distressing year, the lights will adorn the facade from 11 December until 3 January next year.."

"After such a difficult year for everyone, Her Majesty Margareta of Romania wanted her Christmas table at Savarshin Castle to be decorated with the fruits of the earth and more lights, as a sign of hope and compassion."

The Christmas tree at Savarsin Castle

At Săvârșin Castle, Princess Sofia took some Christmas photos, which we share with you, along with the wish for a peaceful and peaceful Christmas!

https://www.romaniaregala.ro/jurnal/fotografiile-de-craciun-ale-principesei-sofia/

Back
Top Bottom