Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Heir Presumptive
City
San Francisco
Country
United States
Royal Family - Opinion Poll

ROMPRES - Romanian National Press Agency, May 3, 2006

IRECSON opinion poll: 66.24 per cent of Romanians think the Royal House ought to get more actively involved in Romania's development
Bucharest, May 3 - The great majority of Romanians (66.24 -per cent) would like to see a more active involvement of the Royal House in the democratisation and development of Romania, according to an opinion poll conducted by the Romanian Institute for Economic and Social Surveys and Opinion Polls - IRECSON. The poll was occasioned by the anniversary, on May 10, of 140 years since the foundation of the Royal House.
Less than one third of the interviewees (30.24 per cent) do not think such an involvement of the Royal House is necessary.
It is the opinion of 59.94 per cent of the interviewees that the Royal House is carrying on and is involved on a continuous basis in activities having a beneficial role for Romania, while 36.01 per cent do not agree with that assertion.
According to the opinion of most of the IRECSON poll respondents (58 per cent), the Royal House is instrumental in the process of accession to the EU, however 65 per cent believe the presence of the Royal House is not likely to put an end to the political fights in the Romanian society.
Less than one third of the people interviewed (30.52 per cent) believe the presence of the Royal House could put an end to the political fights in the Romanian society.
People in urban areas would like the Royal House to get involved in Romania’s development to a greater extent than people in rural areas (68% vs. 63%).
According to the IRECSON survey, in the opinion of Romanians the monarchy means "preservation of traditions" - 73 per cent of respondents mentioned that value, "national pride" - 59 per cent, "national identity" - 52 per cent, while 48.66 per cent of the interviewees believe the monarchy is the "guarantee of continuity"
When asked to list some of King Michael's qualities, the IRECSON poll subjects mentioned: honest/moral - 45.15 per cent, religious - 64.28 per cent, popular - 45.99 per cent, patient - 34.60 per cent, a family man - 73.42 per cent.
Among the people who have heard about the existence of Princess Margarita of Romania Foundation, some 70.3 per cent appreciate the activity of that organisation, while 10.47 per cent do not.
Also, according to the IRECSON survey, the appreciation for the effort made by the Princess is not proportional to the awareness about the existence of the foundation, since even if people in rural areas know less about this organisation they appreciate it to a greater extent (73% vs. 69%).
Almost a half of the people interviewed (48.80%) think it would be good for Prince Radu to accept a State function, while 46.41% are of the opposite opinion.
Also, 38.26 per cent of the poll subjects believe Prince Radu ought to have a political involvment, while 56.12 per cent do not believe this would be right.
However, 42 per cent said it would be good Prince Radu to run for office.
The poll was conducted in the interval 5-12 April, on a sample of 1 422 persons, having a +/-2.6% margin of error. This was a face to face survey conducted at the interviewees' place of domicile.

Source: http://www.princeradu.ro/index.php?page=articol&aid=1085&cid=143

latin said:
I discovered even a Forum of the Romanian royalists, A Forum where the debates are in 5 languages:

http://www.monarhist.ro/index.php

Latin

I took a glance and it's seems to be very fresh Forum because (at least in english) there's no discussion between members, only links to different websites. But good luck Monarhist!

I noticed it is a new Forum but I suppose different royalists around Europe will join it because it is in different languages.

I just want to make a comment about HRH King Michael I and the Romanian constitution.

As far as I and many other monarchists are concerned, the current government, as well as the communist regime before it, are illegal and therefore illegitimate.

The rightful Head of State of the KINGDOM of Romania is HRH King Michael I. First, there is controversy whether His Majesty did indeed abdicate and second, the supposed abdication was under blackmail and duress. The Communists threaten to murder tens of thousands of civilians unless he did so. And when His Majesty went abroad to seek support for Romania against communism, the commies claimed he abdicated.

Romania is NOT a republic and never has been. All such claims are illegal according to international and Romanian law.

Thank you MAfan. Are people in Romania still interested in their royal family? Or do only a small number of people still follow their events and private life?

Around 20% of the population is in favour of the Restoration of the Constitutional Monarchy but people are very divided concerning the husband of Princess Margareta.
The majority of the romanians respect the king but don't understand why Prince Nicolae does not speak Romanian.

Around 20% of the population is in favour of the Restoration of the Constitutional Monarchy but people are very divided concerning the husband of Princess Margareta.
The majority of the romanians respect the king but don't understand why Prince Nicolae does not speak Romanian.
Thank you Cory. I didn't know there are a lot of people who call for restoration of monarchy. Good luck, Romania:flowers:

Thank you Cory. I didn't know there are a lot of people who call for restoration of monarchy. Good luck, Romania:flowers:

I am a Romanian citizen and I never heard that 20% of population want the restauration of the monarchy. We don't know the royal family, the King is very respectable but is a stranger for romanian people, Princess Margareta is a lovely Lady but 99% of the romanian people don't know who she is, and I even don't want to speak about the ones who aknowledge who the Prince Nickolas is.
And I don't want to start with PRINCE Radu.
It's a lost cause IMO. And I LIKE the IDEEA of a Royal Family around.

I have never met a Romanian who doesn't know who Princess Margareta is.
All the Romanians know the Royal Family but the majority are much more interested in the economical crisis.
Prince Nicolae is not very known yet.
Radu Duda is not very popular...that's very true.
It is not a lost cause at all but in this moment the problem of Restoration is not an issue.

Well , I am for Bucharest and here the restauration of the monarchy is not an option now. The people I know (from different segments of society) doesn't have an interes in monarchy at all.
I am the only one ( and most of them don't understand why and make fun of me).
I don't know in years, but I think Prince Nickolas has very few chances. And not only because he doesn't speak Romanian at age 25, but mostly because he had very few links with Romanian culture and way of life.
However, I wish him all de best.

I know quite a lot of persons in Bucharest too but all of them know who the royal Family is and quite a lot don't exclude the Restoration.
Nobody sees the Restoration now but in the next years if Prince Nicolae learns Romanian very well and has a good team of advisers.

Not speaking the local language has never been a problem in a place like England (George I being a recent example, William I being a better one) so I don't think it will be an impediment to good Kingship in any other country. In fact it could be considered an 'asset' if used right, in terms of international affairs of state.

My other point is this HM King Michael I is just about the 'only' one who can decide the succession as it is the Republican element who has fractured the claim by not amending the Constitution to reflect the Royal changes of circumstance. That is where the true blame should lie and not with the family as a whole. Besides this is what a Royal House does better than any Republic-adapts to the realities on the ground.

Restoration of Monarchy in Romania

About 16% of the population is in favour of the restoration of Monarchy but still nobody from the political class speaks about such an issue(except some liberal lreaders of PNL).
There are different royalist associations but there is no serious campaign in this moment for the Restoration.
Many youth are favourable so the possibility of Restoration could become a reality in few years.
The best point of the Monarchy now is Prince Nicolae.

Why should the monarchy be restored?

1.It is the traditional form of government of the Romanians.

2.Monarchy was abolished by force in 1947 even if almost all the Romanians were royalists.

3.King Mihai I is the symbol of democracy and unity of the Romanians.

4.Constitutional Monarchy represents the best solution for the internal stability and a good external image.

Personally I'd love to see King Michael I back to his rightful role in Romania. However he is up against a political elite that will do everything to stop this from happening. A populace that has no idea of how or what a true alternative to their current political system looks or behaves like. So It is but a feint hope, but not one that is lost for good.

Personally I'd love to see King Michael I back to his rightful role in Romania...
Good for you.
There was a tiny chance for King Michael to restore monarchy in the ruined and poor country in 1989. Was he ready to inherit and rule such country?
Now it's not likely to become true. The expats seem to overestimate the popularity of RF among the Romanian people.

The present political elites within Romania cannot be said to be democratic. The sad truth is the communist mob that controlled the country prior to 1989 is stll in power; a little more media friendly and predisposed to the benefits of pleasing the western bankers, but very much so "the usual suspects". Most Romanians are aware of this, however they have to tread warily as old habits die hard among former communists who have reinvented themselves.

There is a sound legal reason why the monarchy should be restored: it is the constitution that was in vigour when the government was undemocratically taken over. King Michael would not rule the country, he would be a constitutional monarch, as indeed he was before. The present crown princess and her consort, along with the Princess Helen and her children, have worked very hard for the benefit of their fellow Romanians.

Unfortunately when Radu Duda announces his intention to run for the presidency of the republic many people thought the Royal Family does not hope in the Restoration of Monarchy.

Good for you.
There was a tiny chance for King Michael to restore monarchy in the ruined and poor country in 1989. Was he ready to inherit and rule such country?
Now it's not likely to become true. The expats seem to overestimate the popularity of RF among the Romanian people.

I think so too. King Mihai is the only one who really mean something to me. I speak in my name because I don't lihe genaralizations. The others don't prove very much until now for me. When I will see they are doing something useful for the people (and I don't talk about parties, visits and ribbon cuttings) and they are grounding in Romanian soil and culture, I will think about their role in this country.
And do something with this Prince Radu. I see him only in controverses. And God's sake why is he wearing a military uniform? He was an actor (a respectable one, but actor not officer).

Radu Duda studied at the Military Accademy and now he is a coloner.He is very controversial and not only among royalists because he try to be not a consort to Princess Margareta but he behavea as if he were the Crown Prince which he luckily is not.

I just want to make a comment about HRH King Michael I and the Romanian constitution.

As far as I and many other monarchists are concerned, the current government, as well as the communist regime before it, are illegal and therefore illegitimate.

The rightful Head of State of the KINGDOM of Romania is HRH King Michael I. First, there is controversy whether His Majesty did indeed abdicate and second, the supposed abdication was under blackmail and duress. The Communists threaten to murder tens of thousands of civilians unless he did so. And when His Majesty went abroad to seek support for Romania against communism, the commies claimed he abdicated.

Romania is NOT a republic and never has been. All such claims are illegal according to international and Romanian law.

I would agree with you. I do have a question though, since you are from Romania; what do the people of Romania think of HRH King Michael? Thanks.

The majority of Romanians are not against HM King Mihai I but this does not mean they want a Restoration of Monarchy.There is no serious campaign for the Monarchy and Radu Duda speaks more about the "reformation of the institution of the president of the republic" creating confusion among the royalists.

Politicians speak in a coded language that is not always understood by us honest souls. I think Prince Radu is making a valid point, and perhaps he is also indicating obliquely that perhaps a constitutional monarchy is preferable to a manipulative presidency.

The present political elites within Romania cannot be said to be democratic. The sad truth is the communist mob that controlled the country prior to 1989 is stll in power; a little more media friendly and predisposed to the benefits of pleasing the western bankers, but very much so "the usual suspects". Most Romanians are aware of this, however they have to tread warily as old habits die hard among former communists who have reinvented themselves.

It was that group which more or less overthrew Ceausescu as they had grown fed up with his regime. I believe they had planned it for some time.

There is a sound legal reason why the monarchy should be restored: it is the constitution that was in vigour when the government was undemocratically taken over. King Michael would not rule the country, he would be a constitutional monarch, as indeed he was before. The present crown princess and her consort, along with the Princess Helen and her children, have worked very hard for the benefit of their fellow Romanians.

It's quite unlikely at the present stage. But the main argument for Romania may also be applied to, say, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Georgia or Albania- that they were not deposed legally and had been usurped by undemocratic regimes. Romania has certainly had a difficult transition out of Communism and many things are being worked out, but it has stabilised somewhat more recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom