Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It all seems to be around 30% though (excepting Germany, where support is only a third for young Germans). The Romanian article you posted suggests around 30% would vote to restore the monarchy. Between 30% and 40% of Serbians would. Around a third of Russians and a third of young Germans:

Restored monarchy gains young Germans' support - The Local
Tsar-fetched? Almost a third of Russians favor return of monarchy ? RT Russian politics
B92 - News - 39 percent of Serbians in favor of monarchy, poll shows

Cory, if statistics are all saying that support for a restoration is about 30%, then support isn't stronger in Romania than it is in Russia or elsewhere.

Cory, if statistics are all saying that support for a restoration is about 30%, then support isn't stronger in Romania than it is in Russia or elsewhere.

I was thinking the same!

That still doesn't really mean that the strongest possibility for a restoration is in Romania. If Germany, Romania, Russia, and Serbia all show that roughly 30% of the population supports a restoration then based on the statistics they all have the same possibility of a restoration (which isn't much).

Now, if you had the statistics to support it, you could potentially argue that support for a restoration is growing faster in Romania than the other 3 countries in question, or that in them support is decreasing while in Romania it's increasing (assuming you have such statistics; I've not been able to find any older statistics on any of the countries in question). Then and only then could you argue that statistically speaking there's a higher chance of a restoration in Romania. As it stands now, you've not provided us with anything beyond your own support for the Romanians to support this idea.

I suppose you could also try to argue that there is more of a royal presence in Romania, but when it comes to Germany and Russia that simply isn't true - there is a rather strong royal presence in both those countries. I don't know about Serbia.

What can be said with the statistics given is that the Romanian support seems to have gone up about 20% in the last 20 or so years. If that progress continues, then in another 20 years the Romanian monarchy will very potentially have the 51% of the support that they need to actually be viable for a restoration.

Although the statistics do suggest similar levels of support for restoration in many of these countries, to me restoration in the future does seem most likely in Romania. The Royal Family has a recognisable presence, there are two heirs to choose from - Nicolae for the current salic laws of succession and his aunt if the laws are changed to include women. The former King seems to have a much better reputation than the Crown Prince of Serbia, who was unknown before his 'return' and can't even speak Serbian very well. And in the surveys of Germans and Russians, you get the impression that the wish for a monarchy is vaguer - especially in Russia. Even Russians in favour of monarchy had no clear idea who would take on the role of Tsar.

Why isn't Nicolae the salic heir, considering he's the eldest son of the king's second daughter?

Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills would be only the third in the Line of Succession proposed by HM the King in 2007 but it is highly unlikely his aunt or mother will ever become Heads of State in Romania. He is more and more popular and so he could represent the future of the Romanian Monarchy.

Last edited:
Why isn't Nicolae the salic heir, considering he's the eldest son of the king's second daughter?

Nicholas isn't the Salic heir because under Salic law, men who descend through female lines are only eligible when every male-line is extinguished.

Nicholas descends through a female line, therefore isn't eligible as there are other male lines still in existence (even accounting for equal marriages).

Nicholas would be able to inherit the Throne only if The Salic Law is abolished. There are no other Romanian Princes in line to the Throne respecting the Constitution of 1923. Only HH Prince Karl of Hohenzollern could be the other solution.

"It is also highly probable that the public has accepted the idea of a constitutional role, without the status of a state Power, for the Crown, through its constitutional recognition. Seen this way, the two results of the poll would be perfectly harmonised, in that Romanians trust the Royal Family and have a very positive regard of it, whishing at the same time a republic, in which the Crown would have a constitutional recognition, an apolitical role, of preserver of Romania’s identity and dignity."(The Royal Family in the public perception | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania). Is this the plan of those who want a compromise with the republicans?Who really needs something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
From prince Radu's blog
According to an INSCOP poll conducted in May 2014, 44,9% of Romania’s population has a good or very good opinion regarding the Royal House. At the same time, 30,2% of respondents spoke in favour of Monarchy as a form of government. ...
The poll regarding Monarchy as a form of government is more interesting. Thus, an important decrease has been recoded (of 11,3% from last year) in the number of undecided persons, regarding the form of government, but also an increase in the number of supporters for both systems – Monarchy and republic. Probably, the raising of this issue, in media, schools and in the public debate, with respect to Romania, along with the Constitutional revision project put forward last year, but also in connection with international events from other Royal Houses, has has as an effect a better understanding of the Crown’s place and role in a constitutional monarchy, and, respectively, the role of a persident in a republic.
The Royal Family in the public perception Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania

Romania seems to have a good compromise - having a Royal Family carrying out various public activities and engagements and being relatively popular with the general public, whilst at the same time the country remains a republic. In some ways, it doesn't seem all that important whether Romania remains a republic or becomes a monarchy.

From my own perspective, I come on the royal forums every day and check out the posts for Romania just as much as my other favourites!

Those who really want the restoration of Monarchy are faithful to the traditions of the country and know the republic has nothing to do with the Romanian traditions. Those who want to have the republic with a certain public role for the Royal Family have never understood HM the King and His ideals.

HM the King has never recognized what happened in 1947 and He has always hoped for the restoration of Monarchy.

The question of the restoration of Monarchy is not a simple issue.

So have many of Romania's traditions been lost since becoming a republic...could you give some examples of the King's ideals? I know little about the subject.

I too follow the fortunes of the Romanian Royal Family with interest.

In the early eighties i had the pleasure of working with HRH Prncess Maria in London and found her to be a really delightful young woman, and very good company.

i remember once she nipped off in the lunch break 'to get her pearls restrung, ready for lunch with Aunt Lilibet and Uncle Philip', and only later did 'the penny drop, as [altho' extremely polite, she was wholly without airs or pretension.]

Cory, this person was just posting a remembrance of working with one of the Rumanian Princess. You don't have to be so harsh in your comment.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting anecdote.

The King is obviously doing all he can to promote the restoration of the monarchy and even if it does not happen in his lifetime, he will have got closer to it than many other former monarchs.

Cory, this person was just posting a remembrance of working with one of the Rumanian Princess. You don't have to be so harsh in your comment.

This is a thread about the restoration of Monarchy not about other matters.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting anecdote.

The King is obviously doing all he can to promote the restoration of the monarchy and even if it does not happen in his lifetime, he will have got closer to it than many other former monarchs.

HM the King did everything he could for the restoration but maybe not everybody around Him has the same ideas.

I too follow the fortunes of the Romanian Royal Family with interest.

In the early eighties i had the pleasure of working with HRH Prncess Maria in London and found her to be a really delightful young woman, and very good company.

i remember once she nipped off in the lunch break 'to get her pearls restrung, ready for lunch with Aunt Lilibet and Uncle Philip', and only later did 'the penny drop, as [altho' extremely polite, she was wholly without airs or pretension.]

Great little anecdote. It's good to know they have charm. Little chance of a restoration without it!

Nicholas isn't the Salic heir because under Salic law, men who descend through female lines are only eligible when every male-line is extinguished.

Nicholas descends through a female line, therefore isn't eligible as there are other male lines still in existence (even accounting for equal marriages).

Thanks for the clarification.

The Salic Law forbid any descendant of a Romanian (born) Princess to be King.

It is obvious the support of the people for the Royal Family increases every day:

Trenul regal a ajuns la Craiova. Principesa Margareta ?i Principii Radu ?i Nicolae, întâmpina?i de zeci de oameni

The support of the people is essential even if in this moment there is not 51% in the polls for the Monarchy but neither for the republican.
The politicians prefer the status quo trying to be very respectful with the Royal Family but not fight for the restoration of Monarchy.

The support of the people is increasing but the politicians'options are very volatile.

Obviously you do not Romania. The public support is the key issue and 30% in favour of Monarchy is a very good start. The young Nicholas is very popular and clearly much popular than HH Prince Karl.

Sent from my GT-S6312 using The Royals Community mobile app

The president of the Senate did not invite the president "of the republic" but he invited HM the King at the 150th Anniversary of the Senate.. HM the King will ve represented by HRH Princess Margareta who will probably deliver a speech:

Tăriceanu: Casa Regală va fi reprezentată la aniversarea Senatului de principesa Margareta - Mediafax

The president of the Senate is a well known monarchist.

The support of the crowd means nothing. There must a powerful kingmaker and moneyed lobby behind the restoration. Does the Romanian royals have it?

The public support is volatile. It can be swayed with proper messages. This means that a kingmaker and his/her lobby can easily garner necessary support.
So once again ... Is there a really good reason for Romanian politicians to rally in favour of the restoration?

The public support and lack of a charismatic heir/heiress mean that the restoration is very unlikely to happen. Hopefully usual Romanians will not have more hardships as a result of the restoration or any other political shifts.

I can think of no other country that is a republic where the royal family of that country is as high profile than in Romania.
Under normal circumstances, a return to monarchy or indeed an abolition of a monarchy would, I think, be the result of a coup or major upheaval following protests and all sorts of things like that. It seems to me that if the monarchy in Romania was ever restored it would be through years of continued increase in popularity and a slow change rather than anything dramatic.

On the 17th of June the Royal Family will be present at the Senate for the Anniversary of this institution and in the same day the members of the senate will be at Peles Castle at an event organized by the Royal Family:

Familia Regală celebrează 150 de ani de la înființarea Senatului României | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

For the first time after 1947 the leaders of the Senate were guests of the Royal Family at an official dinner at Peles Castle:

Ora regelui

The authorities have nothing to do for the moment with the Succession of HM the King.

All those who could become candidates for the presidential elections (prme minister Ponta, president of the Senate Tariceanu, mayor of Sibiu Iohannis, ex president of the Senate Antonescu, ex minister Predoi, ex prime minister Ungureanu,) are very respectful towards to Royal Family, some being officially royalists (Tariceanu,Antonescu).

Of all the former reigning families in Europe, the Romanian royal family is the one which captures my interest and sympathy the most. It is most heartening to see that the various institutions in Romania recognise the contribution of the family, both historically and in contemporary society. Also encouraging is the implicit recognition that Princess Margareta is the natural successor of King Mihai.

I sincerely hope that the continuing commitment of the family towards Romania is rewarded. The dynamic, intelligent and gracious Princess Margareta would make an exceptionally good constitutional monarch, I think.

I always thought non-reigning royal families should be given an official constitutional role in their former kingdoms, and certainly many already have more or less done this, albeit with no constitutional value. Just look at the Romanian Royal Family, they have the Senate coming to them. Not them going to the senate. In my opinion romaina should abolish the probation on titles and give the royal house an official function... it can't be any worse than having an politician represent the people 24/7. Most people have been brainwashed into believing that republican Presidency's are the only option... they are not.

His Grace, The Duke

I have a question concerning the current role of the royal family, preferably to romanians or people living in Romania:
Watching the official royal webside or you tube-clips of current events I get the impression as if the royal house was restored back in office...! It all looks like a royal family acting in a monarchy...? Though I´m happy to watch this I wonder how this is possible? Is there a chance in due course for a real restoration?
Some time ago I thought there was a real chance the old King surviving the republic. But, oh well, time´s running short by now and chances vanish for King Mihai to be reinstalled as head of state, which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom