The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #821  
Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
From the outlook it looks like Nicholas Medforth-Mills was "sent away" for having shady contacts or something but these were nothing, compared with the unclear and shady actions by uncle Radu.
This statement seems a bit strange. Your reaction to the expulsion of Nicholas claimed that such a thing (i.e. being stripped of his rights) was surely welcome to the prince as now he could be free to do whatever he wanted (even though he had never given any indication during his years in Romania that he desired to do anything but serve the people of that country). You held that the decision was surely taken by Nicholas himself. Further, you stated that Princess Margarita and Prince Radu had done a fine job of helping Nicholas fit into his role (which they clearly did not--assuming the allegations are true). Are you now changing your tune and blaming the ill-advised action towards Nicholas on the éminence grise that is his uncle?
__________________

__________________
Sii forte.
Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 11-02-2015, 03:47 PM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
This statement seems a bit strange. Your reaction to the expulsion of Nicholas claimed that such a thing (i.e. being stripped of his rights) was surely welcome to the prince as now he could be free to do whatever he wanted (even though he had never given any indication during his years in Romania that he desired to do anything but serve the people of that country). You held that the decision was surely taken by Nicholas himself. Further, you stated that Princess Margarita and Prince Radu had done a fine job of helping Nicholas fit into his role (which they clearly did not--assuming the allegations are true). Are you now changing your tune and blaming the ill-advised action towards Nicholas on the éminence grise that is his uncle?
This post clearly shows the inconsistencies in previous posts, and how difficult it is to discuss the cause, separated from personal views about people. A further lack of consistency is the seeming interest in reducing the value of certain members of the Royal Family, while simultaneously claiming they have no standing in the family, or the country, no chance of returning to the throne or to any position of influence.

If they don't play a role, and won't in a future you lay out, why the need to talk about them at all? I suppose it could be taken as evidence that those who oppose the Royal Family, are worried that they have more support than is wanted, and that there is an urgent need to talk them down.
__________________

__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 6,586
I have no any doubt that Nicholas is relieved now he is lost from that burden of being a "Heir" to a defunct throne. This Swiss-born British gentleman maybe feel happy to be free from Ruritania eh... Romania I mean.

With my previous post I did not had Nicholas' viewpoint in my mind but that of "the Royal House" which apparently -if we have to believe the rumours- shove Nicholas away because of his "shady contacts" (amongst others with the former President whom insulted and ridiculed King Michael). If thát (the "shady contacts") was the reason, then it is weird that what was apparently blamed on Nicholas, was not blamed on his uncle Radu, with so many more shady contacts and aspects in his past.

That was more what I wanted to say.
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,061
For the royalists now there is a big challenge: how to remain united and promote the Monarchy even if they have different views about Succession.

The interview with Princess Margareta and her husband at TVR was not broadcasted Tuesday evening. The reason for being postponed is probably the huge rally in Bucharest.
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,061
In the last two days there were huge rallies in the main cities that brought to the dismissal of the government. It is obvious that the people want more than just a political change because nobody wants a corrupted system anymore. There were royalists with the Royal flags among those who attend the rallies but it is really hard to know if there is in this confusing moment an increasing popularity of the Monarchy. Two things are clear: the politicians and the Orthodox patriarch are contested by a part of the population.
Reply With Quote
  #826  
Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
It is good to see the Romanian Royal Family being visible at important events and centrally placed in discussions in Romania. The Crown Princess travels throughout the country, meets people, lights candles and stands among grieving men and women, is firmly placed in the centre of reburials, investitures, is interviewed in tv and in the papers, holds investitures and raises the profile of Romania wherever she can.

To think that in the event of a restoration, the Romanian people would want their own Royal Family displaced because they're women, and because a long-since gone constitution said that a German Prince of Hohenzollern should be imported if there were no male heirs, is a view so out of date and step with the modern Romania we speak of, it beggars belief.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 11-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
[...]

To think that in the event of a restoration, the Romanian people would want their own Royal Family displaced because they're women, and because a long-since gone constitution said that a German Prince of Hohenzollern should be imported if there were no male heirs, is a view so out of date and step with the modern Romania we speak of, it beggars belief.
- a restoration will never happen, period

- there is no question of "importing" Princes of Hohenzollern: Michael is a Prince of Hohenzollern himself, his daughters Margareta, Elena, Irina, Sophia and Maria are Princesses of Hohenzollern

- when you speak about importing "Germans", why don't you speak about importing a Swiss-born British (Nicholas Medforth-Mills), a British-born British (Karina Medforth-Mills) or a French-born Française (Elisabeth Biarneix)?

- what you call "views so out of date": this can include the whole concept of a monarchy an sich, of course

- note, that the youngest child of King Michael -was he a boy- still would have bypassed all his five elder sisters under the current "modern" rules anno 2007, so advocated by you...

- needless to say that when Michael had a son, we would never have seen this vaudeville, as he would have been sure about his succession...

Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,061
More and more royalists join the rallies in Bucharest and different cities and ask for the restoration of Monarchy:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4893250&type=3
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 11-05-2015, 03:37 PM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
- a restoration will never happen, period

- there is no question of "importing" Princes of Hohenzollern: Michael is a Prince of Hohenzollern himself, his daughters Margareta, Elena, Irina, Sophia and Maria are Princesses of Hohenzollern

- when you speak about importing "Germans", why don't you speak about importing a Swiss-born British (Nicholas Medforth-Mills), a British-born British (Karina Medforth-Mills) or a French-born Française (Elisabeth Biarneix)?

- what you call "views so out of date": this can include the whole concept of a monarchy an sich, of course

- note, that the youngest child of King Michael -was he a boy- still would have bypassed all his five elder sisters under the current "modern" rules anno 2007, so advocated by you...

- needless to say that when Michael had a son, we would never have seen this vaudeville, as he would have been sure about his succession...

Several monarchies choose to still use male-preferred primogeniture. It's not my favourite model, but that's life. Your idea that a monarchy will never be restored, and that monarchies are out of date per se, makes it difficult to debate a locked position.

Mine are not locked. I'm not a member of Parliament in Romania, nor do I live within the Royal Family. I do not presume to know what will happen tomorrow, and Romania is a society in rapid progress. I believe in the cause of the monarchy, the virtue of an unelected and representative head of state that cannot be corrupted, and controlled, as easily as a president is. I've laid out how I believe a restoration will take place. That you don't believe in a restoration at all, makes it rather hard to logically have a debate about merits. Anything I say, and put down a case for, will be dismissed out of hand anyway, so what's the point?

The Romanian Royal Family has raised their profile considerably in Romania since their return, and in the past few years, people are starting to see monarchy as a real option to the failed republic they've had since the fall of communism.

I cannot see a scenario underwhich they will be displaced in a regal future of Romania. That they were born in exile, their grandchildren born in exile, does not negate them being the Romanian Royal Family.

I am sure, however, that some will argue for a different solution.
It would just be so refreshing to see an argument in favour of it, and it would be nice if the person(s) making them actually believed in the monarchy and its place as a governing system at all.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 6,586
But the point is that a monarchy is about tradition, about the principle of hereditary succession, about maintaining the Constitution and about defending the rights of the citizens. But it is you, a royalist supporter, which used the word "outdated" for the succession according Salic Law, however a very monarchist principle anyway. It is you who apparently see no problem in a private person fabricating a private document and with this "overruling" the royal Constitution.

I am not against Princess Margareta being Michael's Heir, as that is what the democratic Parliament of the new Kingdom of Romania wants and has approved. I am against Princess Margareta being made Michael's Heir purely because he prefer to change the rules in favour of his own daughter than to respect these (and then the headship goes to the Fürst von Hohenzollern), while anyone can see that beyond Margareta it will be a cul-de-sac and the end of the Royal House.

What King Michael did is exactly what Don Ferdinand VII de Borbón y Borbón-Parma did with his Pragmática Sanción of 1830. Confronted with only two daughters and with the Salic Law which is observed in all Bourbon Houses, the King decided to overrule it in favour of his minor daughter (who would soon become Queen). This did split Spain to the bone, as his brother Infante Don Carlos has always been the Heir until the King's palace-coup. It has led to three bloody Carlist Wars.

What King Michael did is essentially the same. Luckily he is an old man somewhere in Switzerland, playing in this tragicomic operetta. God beware he has fabricated this vaudeville during an actual reign.
Reply With Quote
  #831  
Old 11-05-2015, 04:28 PM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
In an actual reign, the constitution would be updated by politicians, and with the input of the monarch if sought. Whether or not the salic law provisions are antiquated, it is my view that they are, and most Western monarchies operate under equal or male-preferred primogeniture these days.

To equate things happening today with things happening centuries ago, just strikes me as arbitrary, to make a point, false or factual as it might be. A monarchy in itself is absolutely an ancient institution, but no institution survives without adapting to the times it exist in. The King has acted to ensure the Royal Family continues after him, and yes, if he had sons, this debate would not need to be taken until an actual restoration takes place. Right now, he has ensured his family succeeds him in being custodians of the Crown, and what happens later, is up to the people and politicians.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 11-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,061
Now it is important to see what real changes the people are asking in the streets.

In Cluj Thursday evening many people on the streets were asking for the return of Monarchy.
Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But the point is that a monarchy is about tradition, about the principle of hereditary succession, about maintaining the Constitution and about defending the rights of the citizens. But it is you, a royalist supporter, which used the word "outdated" for the succession according Salic Law, however a very monarchist principle anyway. It is you who apparently see no problem in a private person fabricating a private document and with this "overruling" the royal Constitution.

I am not against Princess Margareta being Michael's Heir, as that is what the democratic Parliament of the new Kingdom of Romania wants and has approved. I am against Princess Margareta being made Michael's Heir purely because he prefer to change the rules in favour of his own daughter than to respect these (and then the headship goes to the Fürst von Hohenzollern), while anyone can see that beyond Margareta it will be a cul-de-sac and the end of the Royal House.

What King Michael did is exactly what Don Ferdinand VII de Borbón y Borbón-Parma did with his Pragmática Sanción of 1830. Confronted with only two daughters and with the Salic Law which is observed in all Bourbon Houses, the King decided to overrule it in favour of his minor daughter (who would soon become Queen). This did split Spain to the bone, as his brother Infante Don Carlos has always been the Heir until the King's palace-coup. It has led to three bloody Carlist Wars.

What King Michael did is essentially the same. Luckily he is an old man somewhere in Switzerland, playing in this tragicomic operetta. God beware he has fabricated this vaudeville during an actual reign.
With all due respect for your position, I'm not sure your parallels can hold, here. King Michael has not tried to change any state's constitution, he has merely proposed a set of rules regarding the succession for consideration IF a new constitution establishing a Constitutional Monarchy in Romania is adopted. This is quite clear in his fundamental house rules. Neither has he ever implied that he would not accept a decision by the Romanians to go down a different route.

Salic law is one of several systems regarding succession, not an absolute monarchist principle: The Queens/Empresses regnant in England, Scotland, (the UK), Russia and Austria-Hungary are testament to the existence of other systems. The conflicts arising from the pragmatic sanction in Spain (or indeed Portugal) around 200 years ago, when a Monarch's role was considerably different to what it has become, can be contrasted with the painless changes effected in the Netherlands and Luxembourg over a century ago. Romania in the 21st Century is not Spain at the beginning of the 19th century and you can't seriously be implying that there is a risk of a bloody civil war between supporters of the German Hohenzollerns and those of the King's daughter.

The bottom line is that in the highly unlikely event of a restoration, the Romanian people will decide who to invite to assume the throne and what principles underpin the succession to the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,061
In these moments in is important to see how in which direction the society is going. There are rallies every day and it is the beginning of a sort of revolution.

President Iohannis wants to speak in these moments with those representing the civil society. The royalists of ANRM asked to be received too at these meetings.
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 11-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
With all due respect for your position, I'm not sure your parallels can hold, here. King Michael has not tried to change any state's constitution, he has merely proposed a set of rules regarding the succession for consideration IF a new constitution establishing a Constitutional Monarchy in Romania is adopted. This is quite clear in his fundamental house rules. Neither has he ever implied that he would not accept a decision by the Romanians to go down a different route.

Salic law is one of several systems regarding succession, not an absolute monarchist principle: The Queens/Empresses regnant in England, Scotland, (the UK), Russia and Austria-Hungary are testament to the existence of other systems. The conflicts arising from the pragmatic sanction in Spain (or indeed Portugal) around 200 years ago, when a Monarch's role was considerably different to what it has become, can be contrasted with the painless changes effected in the Netherlands and Luxembourg over a century ago. Romania in the 21st Century is not Spain at the beginning of the 19th century and you can't seriously be implying that there is a risk of a bloody civil war between supporters of the German Hohenzollerns and those of the King's daughter.

The bottom line is that in the highly unlikely event of a restoration, the Romanian people will decide who to invite to assume the throne and what principles underpin the succession to the throne.
Thanks for this, it is how I have always imagined the situation. Any restoration of the monarchy would likely be based upon a brand new constitution that takes into account modern day requirements rather than an abolished one that hasn't seen the light of day in decades.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 11-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kingdom, Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 4,061
The royalists were not invited at Cotroceni Palace at the dialogue of president Iohannis with those representing the civil society.
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Cris M's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niterói, Brazil
Posts: 847
Invited and interviewed by Romanian national television, the Crown Princess has declared to be ready to serve her country [as Queen] if the Romanians wanted so. Prince Radu also said that the country was now ready to accept the return of the Monarchy but said that should be a common project for all including the political parties, not something coming only from the Romanian Crown.

https://monarhiasalveazaromania.word...rea-monarhiei/

Well, no one can say they're not interested in a restoration, by I'm sure the Poster from Rome will say the daughter of the King and the husband of Princess Margareta want to keep the status quo, because they managed to strip the son of Princess Elena from the succession and Princesses Elena and Sofia never go to Romania.
__________________
“If a thousand thrones I had, I would give a thousand thrones to get the slaves free in Brazil."

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 11-07-2015, 10:18 AM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Invited and interviewed by Romanian national television, the Crown Princess has declared to be ready to serve her country [as Queen] if the Romanians wanted so. Prince Radu also said that the country was now ready to accept the return of the Monarchy but said that should be a common project for all including the political parties, not something coming only from the Romanian Crown.

https://monarhiasalveazaromania.word...rea-monarhiei/

Well, no one can say they're not interested in a restoration, by I'm sure the Poster from Rome will say the daughter of the King and the husband of Princess Margareta want to keep the status quo, because the managed to strip the son of Princess Elena from the succession and Princesses Elena and Sofia never go to Romania.
An eloquent and very clear statement about the future of the monarchy in Romania, and how the process should involve proper information and options put to the people, and how the Royal Family is ready to serve, if the people wish it.

It could not be put clearer, from the Crown Princess, and as she respects the will of the people as the ultimate decider, we should respect her clear statements and her desire to let this process come from the people, and not from the Royal Family.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Cris M's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niterói, Brazil
Posts: 847
It seems the official website of the Royal Family announced that King Michael will speak tomorrow to Romania
__________________
“If a thousand thrones I had, I would give a thousand thrones to get the slaves free in Brazil."

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 11-07-2015, 10:40 AM
eya eya is online now
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 7,259
Exactly that. A very clear statement from the Crown Princess on the future of the monarchy. That must do. And of course very clever the statement that the people will decide on anything. Let's see tomorrow what the King said.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants aj00192557 The Imperial Family of Russia 964 03-26-2017 04:45 AM
Is the Morocco Monarchy in Trouble? tenngirl Royal Family of Morocco 33 04-26-2011 07:17 AM




Popular Tags
albania ascot 2016 baptism best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit december birthday coup d'etat crown prince crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria denmark dictatorship duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge fashion poll iran jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander marriage member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 october and november 2016 official visit picture of the week prince charles prince louis princess charlene eveningwear princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary eveningwear princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania eveningwear queen rania fashion queen silvia september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara time travel


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises