The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I don't see a problem with having a young monarch. King Michael himself was only in his 20s during most of his second reign, and he did a superb job.

However, Margareta would be a superb Queen. She looks so elegant, and I'd think that having Margareta would attract women's support (maybe). Conversely, does her son even speak much Romanian?
Prince Nicolae isn't the son of crown princess Margarita, he is the son of Princess Elena of Romania and Robin Medforth-Mills.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Nicolae este becoming a very well prepared future Sovereign.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't see a problem with having a young monarch. King Michael himself was only in his 20s during most of his second reign, and he did a superb job.
On what basis do you judge him to have done a superb job? He began as a boy king under a regency, then was king under a Nazi supporting government which was succeeded by a Soviet backed government which dethroned Michael. Except for one brief shining moment when Michael managed to overthrow the Nazi backed government and before the Soviets took over Michaels role in Roumania seems to have been pretty insignificant.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
On what basis do you judge him to have done a superb job?...
3 instances:

First, he showed great courage:

(1) His coup, overthrowing Ion Antonescu, who was a very bad man. Plenty of other kings, particularly figureheads, would have just sat back and let others overthrow him.

(2) He did what he could to try to stop the Communists from taking over Romania, even when it was clear that the Communists would murder him if they wanted to (look at what they did in Bulgaria). He refused to sign laws that they passed.

Second, people love him:

(3) He's now one of the most popular leaders in Romania, and huge crowds turned out for him when he came to Romania in 1992. If he hadn't been an admirable leader, people wouldn't be so attached to him. How many people show up to see King Constantine or Jimmy Carter?

Third, he just showed that he is a fundamentally decent man (and when the King shows great decency, that just sets a standard of behavior for others to follow; when one of the few powers that a figurehead King has is the power of moral authority, this is important):

(4) In WWII, I see that he visited American prisoners in Romanian prisons and treated them with great kindness and even mocked Romania's Nazi occupiers. How many leaders would do that with prisoners of a country with which one's country is at war?

King Michael a truly wonderful man and any country would be very fortunate to have him as King. He's sure better than what we've got now in the US.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Royal Highness

Perhaps it is correct and the people to love the king! Perhaps they do respect margarita! Something I do not question at all.

It's not old news that Michael stood up to the communists and what not. Bashing someone for saying that he supports the monarchy and has hopes for a restoration is not cool.

He does not have to to Romania to see what things are like! That is what the Internet is for!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks, USCTrojan. I've actually been to Romania, shortly after Communism fell. One reason that I'm such a fan of King Michael is because I've seen how rough things were there, and what devotion one must have to return there and try to help things.

I also think how much Romania and Romanians have suffered, and how much better things would have been if the Communist invasion, and his overthrow, hadn't happened.

I hope that in his old age, he gets some satisfaction from his rise in popularity and return of his property and stature.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thanks, USCTrojan. I've actually been to Romania, shortly after Communism fell. One reason that I'm such a fan of King Michael is because I've seen how rough things were there, and what devotion one must have to return there and try to help things.
I feel the same way!

Thank you for sharing. I love to see more people on these boards who support the monarchy in Romania and Serbia as well. The Serbian royals (although HM Peter II was never able to return to beloved home) fall into the same boat!

Unfortunately they didn't have a choice and were chased from their homes... Stripped of everything -including their citizenship, and their belongings, and forced to cate lives elsewhere.

It's only now that these families are returning home -in the last twenty years, and all people can say are negative things about how horrible things still are in those nations as you are stating your support!

Like you, I am FULLY aware of the issues that still face the people in Eastern Europe (Romania and Serbia specifically in this case) following the fall of communism. It's not that hard, especially if you have visited or live there!

I have a lot of respect for an individual who fights for who he/she is and what they believe in and does not give in -HM is no exception, and neither was Peter II. Both are/were good men.

I am one who firmly believes that the return of a constitutional monarchy to either country would be good for both people and country!

Just my few cents!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

USCTrojan, I totally agree with you.

One reason that I'm also in favor of restoring King Michael at least is because his overthrow was done by an evil regime of Communists. Restoring him would be righting a historical wrong and restoring how things would have been if that evil period hadn't ever happened. (If he had screwed up, like other deposed royals did, I'd see it differently- but he didn't do a thing wrong.)

If the US is ever invaded by extremist crazies and our government is ever overthrown, as happened in Romania, when the invaders are forced out, I'd sure hope that we'd restore things.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look, as I see Romania during WWII supporting the Nazis and handing over Jews in large numbers, who were murdered, in wholesale numbers and without protection, I have little respect for them. The King was not part of this, but when the Soviets arrived after being abused by the Germans with the help of Romanians and Hungarians, it was understandable. Not good, understandable.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

This thread is not about Romanians handing over Jews to the Nazis and it would be advisable for you to avoid personally attacking other members.

thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
On what basis do you judge him to have done a superb job? He began as a boy king under a regency, then was king under a Nazi supporting government which was succeeded by a Soviet backed government which dethroned Michael. Except for one brief shining moment when Michael managed to overthrow the Nazi backed government and before the Soviets took over Michaels role in Roumania seems to have been pretty insignificant.
King Michael of Romania did the best he could under the given circumstances in 1947. He couldn't have done anything else. I have been a huge fan of the Romanian royals and very much in favor of the restoration of the monarchy in Romania up until the early 90s, when, during his several visits to Romania, King Michael has compromised himself decorating, having dinners and collaborating etc. with the nowadays reformed communists turned politicians in the Romanian governing party. That's just too much, even for an enthusiast supporter of the monarchy. To add to our disappointment, it turns out that his one and only grandson, Prince Nicolae - brought up in London - does not speak one iota of Romanian. I mean, come on!

In regards to the comments made by some forum members that Romanian Jews were killed and sold out by the Romanians, that's not entirely true. I would advise those members to issue statements after carefully researching historical data. Not everything is black and white. Mostly just grey.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Two days ago Marilena Rotaru and Catalin Serban (National Alliance for the Restoration of Monarchy) at Antena 3 about Monarchy and Restoration:

http://videonews.antena3.ro/video/ro...n-romania.html

VideoNews :: Videos :: Marilena Rotaru: Regele ar nsemna revenirea la fiin
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Nobility

I'm sorry, but Antena 3 in Romania is about as reliable a news source as Daily Mail. Actually, Daily Mail has kept a somewhat journalistic dignity by comparison.

And with the new scandal of the third daughter arrested for illegal activity in the U.S., I don't see how restoration of the former monarchy could save the country. I think the former monarchy has compromised its chances of becoming a solution for Romania's political turmoil a long time ago (the 90s).
If anything, it would probably add more problems to the Romanian people (and their justice system).
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

The polls show the contrary.The popularity of the Royal Family and of Monarchy is increasing.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The polls show the contrary.The popularity of the Royal Family and of Monarchy is increasing.
Agreed! And... I don't believe that this is going to affect the royal family in Romania. I don't see Irina (thanks for catching my mistake) ever returning to Romania with the exception of a few times.

Nicolae on more than one occasion has been talked about as the heir by Romanian papers and has been seen as a positive light in terms of a male descendant- born elsewhere or not.

I think so many people forget that many of these families were stripped of their citizenship and had to make lives for themselves outside of their homes. I don't know if the King or even Constantine of Greece, and all of the other monarchs who were displaced thought they would return home.

You must give the kid some credit, he is now living full time in Romania, let alone speak Romanian (sometime in the future).
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Nicolae speaks Romanian and he represents a lot HM the King.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince Nicolae speaks Romanian and he represents a lot HM the King.
I have to say.... HRH has done very well over the short time that he had relocated to Romania full time. He has done a tremendous job with his Romanian which will ate some time to Iron out -it is not an easy language.

And, for a young man who has to work, he sure is busy with royal duties more often than people seem to think.

One really has to hand it to Nicolae! He has done a fine job in his new role since officially becoming a member of the royal house! I only wish him the best of luck as he continues to progress.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Obviously the future of the Romanian Monarchy will depends of how Prince Nicolae knows to continue the mission of his Grandfather and of His aunt. A marriage with a Princess will help the cause a lot.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Obviously the future of the Romanian Monarchy will depends of how Prince Nicolae knows to continue the mission of his Grandfather and of His aunt. A marriage with a Princess will help the cause a lot.
Please pardon my ignorance Cory but are there any dynastic limitations to who Prince Nicolae can marry? Do they have to be raised in a particular religious practice or be descended from nobility.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Please pardon my ignorance Cory but are there any dynastic limitations to who Prince Nicolae can marry? Do they have to be raised in a particular religious practice or be descended from nobility.
In the previous monarchic law, it was stipulated that the future King of Romania cannot marry a Romanian born, no restrictions on the title of the future wife. I do not know if that law still stands or can be changed by King Michael.