Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if a restoration in Romania would have any effects to Bulgaria, Albania, Serbia, Montenegro, Portugal etc.

Based on the article provided by Benjamin, Romania is going to have a referendum in 2016. When did the restoration happen?

The monarchy will only be restored if they make a referendum and if the monarchy win.

Would CP Margarita be able to inherit by the rules of her family's house or would they have to be amended to allow females to inherit?

The monarchy will only be restored if they make a referendum and if the monarchy win.
You wrote, "The monarchy is restored in Romania. ". One might assume that you used the wrong form of the verb "to be".
Well ... we shall see if the restoration really happens. The situation in the international arena is too volatile to make an accurate prognosis.

You wrote, "The monarchy is restored in Romania. ". One might assume that you used the wrong form of the verb "to be".

I think that was the case. Not all members on the forums are native English speakers, so there will of course be some language barriers. :flowers: At first, I had read it as "the monarchy has now been restored in Romania", which did get me a little excited! I even did a bit of research to see if it were true or not. :D

I hope the referendum has positive results, it would be great if the monarchy could be restored in Romania. The Romanian Royal Family already seem to be quite active and care about their country a lot. This makes me think that Serbia could also restore their monarchy one day - Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine seem to do a lot for the country and I have a feeling they would be brilliant monarchs.

If the Romanian monarchy is restored, it will be interesting to see whether or not King Michael will continue to reign, or if Crown Princess Margareta or indeed Prince Nicolae will become the next monarch. Do we know if the rule where older women can rule before younger men has been adopted yet in Romania?

I think that was the case. Not all members on the forums are native English speakers, so there will of course be some language barriers. :flowers: At first, I had read it as "the monarchy has now been restored in Romania", which did get me a little excited! I even did a bit of research to see if it were true or not. :D

I hope the referendum has positive results, it would be great if the monarchy could be restored in Romania. The Romanian Royal Family already seem to be quite active and care about their country a lot. This makes me think that Serbia could also restore their monarchy one day - Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine seem to do a lot for the country and I have a feeling they would be brilliant monarchs.

If the Romanian monarchy is restored, it will be interesting to see whether or not King Michael will continue to reign, or if Crown Princess Margareta or indeed Prince Nicolae will become the next monarch. Do we know if the rule where older women can rule before younger men has been adopted yet in Romania?

As far as I remember the old rules of succession are theoretically still valid since they under the pre-war constitution could only be changed by the Romanian parliament but King Michael have made an amendment to those rules and stated his wishes that the parliamentary approves these changes which would make Crown princess Margaritha his successor and Prince Nicholas her successor in turn.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't think we should get our hopes up too high just yet. There's a very serious hurdle to jump first: the current Constitution of Romania, Article 152(1) states that the republican form of government "shall not be subject to revision." So there would have to be a referendum to repeal Article 152(1) before a referendum on the monarchy could take place. You could run them concurrently, but it would be a bit awkward if Article 152(1) failed and the monarchy passed. There's also the dream of unification with Moldova by 2018, the centenary of the Kingdom of Greater Romania. Who knows what sort of issues and complications this could cause. Though, maybe, unification with Moldova would be a good excuse to start fresh with a brand new constitution (or even the old one from 1923).

I don't think we should get our hopes up too high just yet. There's a very serious hurdle to jump first: the current Constitution of Romania, Article 152(1) states that the republican form of government "shall not be subject to revision." So there would have to be a referendum to repeal Article 152(1) before a referendum on the monarchy could take place. You could run them concurrently, but it would be a bit awkward if Article 152(1) failed and the monarchy passed. There's also the dream of unification with Moldova by 2018, the centenary of the Kingdom of Greater Romania. Who knows what sort of issues and complications this could cause. Though, maybe, unification with Moldova would be a good excuse to start fresh with a brand new constitution (or even the old one from 1923).

This is interesting what you say. Successful repeal of Article 152(1) could lead to other revisions being made to the constitution and not only the restoration of the monarchy. Perhaps there should be a referendum to amend Article 152(1) to allow the constitution to be revised for the purpose of allowing a referendum to restore the monarchy only and for no other purpose.
It is possible that the voters could by some chance approve one part of the referendum and not the other, but his could be prevented if two issues (i.e. constitutional amendment and restoration of the monarchy) formed part of only one question instead of two - "do you approve amending Article 152(1) to allow the restoration of the monarchy". It could be concluded from a positive result in favour by the majority that they would like the monarchy restored.

Referendum a scam?

Isn't the referendum going to be designed to stamp out monarchism?

The PM who proposed the referendum is a left-winger, and thus presumably opposed to the monarchy. Wouldn't he guide the referendum so that the monarchists are sure to lose, and, in his view, settle the issue once and for all? If he has control over the questions and timing, he could give the republicans a large advantage.

Isn't the referendum going to be designed to stamp out monarchism?

The PM who proposed the referendum is a left-winger, and thus presumably opposed to the monarchy. Wouldn't he guide the referendum so that the monarchists are sure to lose, and, in his view, settle the issue once and for all? If he has control over the questions and timing, he could give the republicans a large advantage.

Then it is up to Romanian Monarchists to make sure they do not lose if an referendum is held on the matter

His Grace, The Duke

Both candidates for Sunday elections speak very respectful about the Royal Family and the King but they are both republicans.

It's to be expected that in a "honeymoon period" for the new incumbent, the institution of the presidency is seen in a more positive light, particularly given the divisive influence of the previous president.

I wonder what level of support there would be for a "third way" combining a ceremonial Monarchy and an elected president of the executive.

It's to be expected that in a "honeymoon period" for the new incumbent, the institution of the presidency is seen in a more positive light, particularly given the divisive influence of the previous president.

I wonder what level of support there would be for a "third way" combining a ceremonial Monarchy and an elected president of the executive.

What you call the "third way" is actually the standard in most European monarchies today, either de facto or de jure. I doubt any Romanian monarchist would seriously propose anything different from that.

What?! Suddenly a downfall of 40 %?! I had the impression the monarchy would gain more and more respect....! What a harsh disappointment!

The Romanian royalists from ANRM want the restoration of Monarchy but no member of the Royal Family speak about this.

Last edited:
I'm a monarchist. And I want the restoration of the monarchy in my country (Portugal).

I'd like to see the restoration of the monarchy in Romania, Serbia, Georgia, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Russia, etc.

The Royals still has much to do to restore the monarchy in Romania.

The members of the Royal Family do not speak about this issue so obviously more and more people doubt about their support for this Royal Family.

Last edited:
What you call the "third way" is actually the standard in most European monarchies today, either de facto or de jure. I doubt any Romanian monarchist would seriously propose anything different from that.

Of course you're absolutely right, but there is a subtle difference between proposing to replace a president with a monarch as head of state and proposing a division of roles between an elected president who is guardian of the constitution & the state and a purely ceremonial monarch who is more a guardian of the culture & the nation. What the poll (like almost all others) offers is an either Monarchy/or Republic choice but I'd be interested to see the figures for the have-your-cake-and-east-it option. Montenegro is the nearest example of this on the Republic side and Sweden the nearest on the Monarchy side.

The continuity of the republic with a certain role for the members of the Royal Family as in Montenegro would be not accepted by the Romanian royalists but would be probably accepted by some members of the Royal Family.

Still the question remains why this downfall of more than 40% within afew months...?!
I wouldn´t even expect that after a major scandal. Either the postulated 66 or so % were a false proclamation or...what...?! I´m mystified.

Of course, a lot depends on who commissione the polls, who and how many were the persons interviewed, what questions exactly were asked.
I can see very easily a huge amount of positive response to the question "Do you like/ trust in King Michael?" but very different results if the question is "Would you like to have the monarchy restored?"

The position of the Royal Family regarding the issue of the Restoration convinced many royalists it's useless to ask for Monarchy.

The position of the Royal Family regarding the issue of the Restoration convinced many royalists it's useless to ask for Monarchy.

It is the role of a royalist in a republic to push for the restoration of their monarchy. The royal family should stay out of the political arena as much as possible. Even so, the royal house has made it clear multiple times that they believe the King and his family have a function to perform in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

King Michael, as terrific as he is, does seem to have been more passive than necessary re: a possible restoration.

When Romanians demonstrate in the streets in favor of monarchy, does he show up? No.

Did he play any role in 1989 or when subsequent constitutional debates have taken place? No.

Does he advocate for monarchy? No, other than saying, "if the people want me, I'll return," which is passive.

With that, how could anyone expect a restoration? The Hohenzollerns must have been more proactive in the 1800s when they originally got the throne. I've never gotten a new job without pushing hard for it, and the same applies to the job of King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom