The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just try to read carefully the articles and you will see the reception at which Crown Princess Margareta participated was NOT at Cotroceni Palace but, as I had already said before, at the Arenas of the National Bank.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:36 PM

With the news that the President has been suspended, could this mean that now the question of restoration is brought into parliament?

BBC News - Romanian parliament votes to suspend President Basescu

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not in this moment anyhow.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Every Saturday at 1.00 p.m. will be an hour dedicated to the Royal Family at the TVR (Romanian National Television):

“Ora Regelui”, o nou

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ora-R...89716261087758

This hour will be prepared by a team formed by Camelia Csiki, Cristina Ţilică, Bogdan Serban Iancu and Marilena Rotaru.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM

This is wonderful news. This sudden surge in popularity can only be a good thing.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

These days in the middle of a political and constitutional turmoil many Romanians think about the restoration of Monarchy.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Every Saturday at the Romanian National Television (TVR1) will be an hour dedicated to the history of the Romanian Monarchy and to the news about the Royal Family today. Here you can see the first two parts (on the 7th and on the 14th of July 2012):

Ora regelui

Ora regelui
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 AM

I'm a Romanian ultra-royalist and don't have too much love for the "democratic monarchy", but I must state that even though more and more romanians are in favour of the restoration, the opposition is fierce. Mainly because communism left very deep scars in the people of Romania and also because the criminal internationalist lobby for republican democracy and egalitarianism in the western world has effect on even more young people.

To change the form of government of Romania, the constitution has to be changed twice. First to remove the article that bans the change from republic and second to actually change it from republic to whatever.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

A totally new Constitution would be the solution.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjurooo View Post
I'm a Romanian ultra-royalist and don't have too much love for the "democratic monarchy", but I must state that even though more and more romanians are in favour of the restoration, the opposition is fierce. Mainly because communism left very deep scars in the people of Romania and also because the criminal internationalist lobby for republican democracy and egalitarianism in the western world has effect on even more young people.

To change the form of government of Romania, the constitution has to be changed twice. First to remove the article that bans the change from republic and second to actually change it from republic to whatever.
As a Romanian what do you think the likelihood is that there will be a restoration? Is it really politically viable at all?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

In this moment we must see if Traian Basescu loses his power after the referendum of the 29th of July. If this really happens there are real chances for a Restoration.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Aristocracy

I am currently reading Mihail Sebastian's Journal, 1935-1944. All I can say is:

How did King Michael turn out so well?

His father, King Carol II, seemed to have no morals and treated his wife and others terribly. King Michael, conversely, is a good family man, religious and never seems to have caused any kind of scandal.

His father, King Carol II, seemed to allow Romania to be a semi-democratic country in the 1930s and allowed all sorts of horrible things to take place, from government censorship to murders of political opponents to imposition of dictatorship, even during peacetime. King Michael, conversely, tolerated dictatorship only as long as he had to, and has fought for democracy.

How did King Michael turn out so well? Was his mother a saint or something? Romania is fortunate to have him- and any country would be blessed to have him as King.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 AM
Courtier

Personally I think it was a combination of his mother and his grandmother. Queen Marie was outgoing, outlandish and flamboyant but she was a really decent person. Queen Helen could almost have been a saint. Together they raised a really decent man.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjurooo View Post

I would dare to say that this "criminal internationalist lobby" you're speaking of has all the interest in the world that Romania remains a poor republic, with a fragile democracy, a corrupt political class, the perfect environment for all kinds of financial experiments (like the measures taken in the last years by the former government) and not only.
The outrageous words of the US ambassador Gitenstein towards what Romania should do and should NOT do are speaking for themselves. They need a controlable and corrupt president in charge (especially with the actual constitution), not a proud king, a moral instance.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

After the 29th of July the problem of the Restoration of Monarchy will surely become important.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I would feel more confident in that if I saw large crowds of people protesting and marching in the streets carrying portraist of Michael and loudly calling for restoration. Without visible demonstrations there is little impetus for major constitutional change.
Somehow I feel it is more a case of discontent with current leadership than I real desire for restoration of a monarchy most Roumanians would never have known.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM

I'm not sure I agree there, there's more than one way to get what you want and not every result comes from protests or demonstrations. I think there's certainly a renewed interest in the monarchy in Romania, the polls show an increase in popularity and the government seems to be taking the restoration seriously, as least in theory. That is to say, they'll give the idea attention and allow the debate to happen. That's a huge step onward from what Romania was just over 20 years ago. I think if anything, it shows how well Romania has adopted democracy. There have been pro-monarchy demonstrations in Bucharest this year but I get the feeling this won't be a revolution type scenario. I believe the government will raise the debate, there'll be a referendum (with more visible yes and no camps) and the decision will be made that way.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
As a Romanian what do you think the likelihood is that there will be a restoration? Is it really politically viable at all?
Some political party leaders made public statements in favour of the restoration, yet this might be (I am sure of it) just a tool to gain more votes.

The restoration is viable while it has King Michael I as a symbol and I'm afraid it'll lose momentum without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinist View Post
[...]They need a controlable and corrupt president in charge (especially with the actual constitution), not a proud king, a moral instance.
"latinist" is right.
Every government (aside from maybe the 1996-2000 one) since the fall of Ceausescu had large foreign backing. It really feels like they are forced upon us from outside. There is logical reasoning and hard proofs behind this point of view, but it'll take too much space and it'll be mainly off-topic.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Today Romania has a government which is very respectful towards the Royal Family!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
After the 29th of July the problem of the Restoration of Monarchy will surely become important.
Early reports suggest voter turn out on the referendum to impeach the President was too low, less than 50%, for the results to be valid. Though polls suggest almost 70% want the President to go the people just did not turn out to cast their ballots so they are left where they started. Well that is democracy, the people get the government they deserve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19034173