Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports have recently appeared in the Romanian press suggesting that Prince Nicholas lost his succession rights after a very brief affair with Nicoleta Cîrjan which resulted in a pregnancy.

Neither the lady or gentleman in question has commented on the parentage of the unborn child.

The baby, a girl, is due in early 2016.

Royal Musings: is a baby the reason Nicholas Medforth-Mills lost his succession rights and title.

This article goes into more detail as to why such an occurrence may have caused the reaction of Royal House.

EXCLUSIV/ FLUX 24 dezvăluie SECRETUL alungării Prințului Nicolae: Un copil nedorit de Casa Regală și BĂTĂLIA PENTRU AVERE

So if I understand this: Nicoleta ended a six year relationship, claims to have had an unprotected fling with Nicholas and that she then took a morning after pill but it failed. I am not saying that she is lying, she may honestly believe that, but what if she is wrong? I have seen stats from the US where when there is a paternity test, that in 1/3 of the cases the man the woman said was the father was not the father and many had genuinely believed it. What if it is true about the fling but that the morning after pill did work and that the child is a result of the 6 year relationship. In the second article they have her at first last summer claiming the child to be a boy but say now she claims it to be a girl. Here they do not like to confirm sex before 23 weeks and I know cases where they were wrong. Since she is still pregnant (early 2016), she was not that far in May/June. Yet they reportedly acted based on her saying it was a boy and possibly still in her first trimester? Also why were they so adamant on him leaving Romania, if he does have a baby about to be born in Romania - to limit the media attention? From a PR point of view so far this has not been handled well, so do they have a plan for that scenario? If this is about a out of wedlock child, besides being overkill, shouldn't you have proof of paternity first before you act?

Last edited:
So if I understand this: Nicoleta ended a six year relationship, claims to have had an unprotected fling with Nicholas and that she then took a morning after pill but it failed.
Just, as far as I have understood, she has never openly mentioned that the man in question was Nicholas. So it is assumed that she was referring to Nicholas, but nothing is confirmed or even just openly said.

Just, as far as I have understood, she has never openly mentioned that the man in question was Nicholas. So it is assumed that she was referring to Nicholas, but nothing is confirmed or even just openly said.

She has not said that publicly nor is it confirmed. But it is my understanding is that this whole situation exists because, as it suggests in the articles, she has expressed this privately to the royal family.

At least if it's true what comes out of the frame one of the many reasons we have heard about that Nicolae lost his title. That being gay. At the end we will find the cause.

She has not said that publicly nor is it confirmed. But it is my understanding is that this whole situation exists because, as it suggests in the articles, she has expressed this privately to the royal family.

This is something I was wondering, how did the press find out that Miss Cirjan is pregnant and that maybe the father could be Nicholas?
If she told herself, why didn't she openly spoke his name?
If she told privately to the Royal Family, but not to the press, who of them (or close to them) told the press?

This is something I was wondering, how did the press find out that Miss Cirjan is pregnant and that maybe the father could be Nicholas?
If she told herself, why didn't she openly spoke his name?
If she told privately to the Royal Family, but not to the press, who of them (or close to them) told the press?

The second article implied she would not confirm to them and some of the information on the pregnancy was taken from a blog, which talks about her pregnancy and shows pictures but does not name the father. So it seems to be a leak from someone other than Nicoleta or Nicholas since he has not said anything either. Unless the media is going by what Nicoleta's friends said Nicoleta said the royals said it is likely a palace leak to be talking about the royals' reactions and specifically Radu, Margherita and Michael but no Nicholas.

Last edited:
It is just a testimonium de auditu: the evidence of news by those who relate, not by what they know themselves, but by what they possibly might have heard from others. Take it with a firm handful of salt...

Unless the media is going by what Nicoleta's friends said Nicoleta said the royals said it is likely a palace leak to be talking about the royals' reactions and specifically Radu, Margherita and Michael but no Nicholas.

According to the original article, it seems to have been a palace leak.

Hence the references to frequent arguments between Margarita, Radu and Nicholas after the pregnancy was revealed. Apparently Nicholas did think that the child was going to be a boy, and this did not sit well with his uncle, who perhaps is not keen that the royal spotlight be focused on the younger generation. The royal family does possess a not insignificant fortune now.

Last edited:
Honestly, in 2015 is it a crime to father a child out of wedlock such as to have you kicked out of a Royal position ???

You have to understand that it is 2015 only for you and me. The "King" intends to live forever in the 1940s, and expects everyone to do so with lots of modesty and dignity..

Last edited:
I suppose that fathering a child out of wedlock was less of a deal in the past then it is now, at least for royal men. Most would have extramarital children in the past.

A child out of the wedlock ..? The Romanian royal family is surrounded by gossips and endless cheap dramas.

I very loyally stood by Nicolas in the entire episode here (partly bcos i have a huge crush on him and feel so connected). But if this "out-of-wedlock due to fling" thing is true, then it is real silly indiscretion amounting to disgrace on his part.. So sorry to say this.. I still dont want to be judgemental, though..

All the theories pointing to Radu as the evil genius and depicting Princess Margarita as a sick and powerless lady lead to nothing. Note that the royal family seems united and forming one front: no any Princess, not even Nicholas' mother Princess Elena, no any other family member, not even Nicholas' sister, has commented on these events at al. It is also wise to keep in mind that Radu has no any motive or gain by shoving Nicholas out of the nest. He is "just" the consort to Nicholas' aunt and there is no any offspring for whom Radu possibly had to fight.

I believe the motive has been stated in the press all too clearly: the king and queen are old and probably do not have a lot of years left. The crown princess is supposedly still ill. That means that in a few years Nicholas would have taken over control of the family assets. Prince Radu supposedly does not look forward to that and started a campaign to secure his own position.

I would not be surprised if there will be several lawsuits between family members in a few years that will shed more light on the situation.

Nicholas is hardly the first person with an out of wedlock baby and I doubt he will be the last. This could have been handled in a more pragmatic way instead of ruining whatever chances the Romanian monarchy had. Of course the most pragmatic thing may be for the monarchic ideal to die with king Mihai. IMHO the late king Umberto II of Italy showed a lot of common sense when he was burried with the family seal of the house of Savoy.

Last edited:
An out of wedlock child is not uncommon in royal circles ,Nicholas is a young man not a monk and I think its all been storm in a teacup that has not reflected well on the Royal House.

I don't find having an out-of-wedlock baby to be behavior that is exemplary. The descendants of King Carol II are perhaps very sensitive about that type of behavior.

Making an out-of-wedlock baby may not be wise (especially when today there are so many ways to avoid it) but well it is not shocking.
What I don't like about this case is that the whole nation is talking about people having had a one-night-stand (so what)and a child, not even born yet, will learn about the lovelife of its parents.
As a child you certainly don want to know that.

An out of wedlock child is not uncommon in royal circles ,Nicholas is a young man not a monk and I think its all been storm in a teacup that has not reflected well on the Royal House.

I think it is quite uncommon these days! Or are you talking about the 18th century?! Only former King Albert II of the Belgians comes to my mind. The current Sovereign Prince of Monaco is not a "royal" in the strict sense of the term!

I think it is quite uncommon these days! Or are you talking about the 18th century?! Only former King Albert II of the Belgians comes to my mind. The current Sovereign Prince of Monaco is not a "royal" in the strict sense of the term!

Well, there are more like P.Bernhard of the NL and Carlos de Borbon de Parme but if this baby indeed is the cause of K.Mihai's decision, i'd expect that he doesn't really care that this happens in other families, and just doesn't want it happening in his...

however, imo it's probably more complicated than this and as previous posters said, it maybe some time before the backstory surfaces (if it does at all)

For me the point that came up some time ago that Nicolas was involved/friendly with political opponents of the king was actually the most easy to believe...i totally could see that that would be a cause for the king to take drastic actions

Another thing is these non-reigning royals make much more fuss about these things, compared to the reigning ones. The latter have become flexible with marriages, titles, and such accidents. While the non-reigning ones still insist on remaining bluest of the blue, locked up in their own little golden worlds..

It is a bit more common than one may think, especially within the close relations of the Romanian Royal Family:

King Carol II [father of King Michael] had an illegitimate son with Mirella Marcovici: Mirel Marcovici (b.1923)

Prince Ernst August of Hannover [second cousin once removed of King Michael] had an illegitimate son with Maria Anna Freiin von Humboldt-Dachroeden: Christian von Humboldt-Dachroeden (b.1943)

Prince Andrej of Yugoslavia [first cousin of King Michael] had a then-illegitimate daughter with his eventual second wife Princess Kira zu Leiningen: Lavinia Marie Lane (now Princess of Yugoslavia; b.1961)

Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta [first cousin of King Michael] had an illegitimate son with Nerina Corsini: Pietro Incisa della Rochetta (b.1967)
Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta had an illegitimate daughter with Kyara van Ellinkhuizen: Ginerva di Savoia (b.2006)

DBack to the (lack of motives) to portray Radu as the genius behind all this: it was no one than Radu whom invested the most energy in positioning and the public awareness of the royal family, including the well-handled introduction of Nicholas. The Romanians are not wealthy. The former King and Queen largely relied on supporters for their upkeep. The education of the princesses seems to have been paid for by some rich monarchists.

What has Radu to gain to oust a second-rank possible heir (Nicholas' mother and aunts all stand before him in the legal inheritance system: also Romania has a inheritance rule based on the Code Napoléon (all children have an equal right). So the not so big private wealth of the King will be fragmented unless he donates it into a trust or foundation. So with all the blames towards Radu, something important is missing: the 'motive' for ousting the future.

Last edited:
Another thing is these non-reigning royals make much more fuss about these things, compared to the reigning ones. The latter have become flexible with marriages, titles, and such accidents. While the non-reigning ones still insist on remaining bluest of the blue, locked up in their own little golden worlds..

That is not true. Look at the Romanians: who married blue blood?

DBack to the (lack of motives) to portray Radu as the genius behind all this: it was no one than Radu whom invested the most energy in positioning and the public awareness of the royal family, including the well-handled introduction of Nicholas. The Romanians are not wealthy. The former King and Queen largely relied on supporters for their upkeep. The education of the princesses seems to have been paid for by some rich monarchists.

What has Radu to gain to oust a second-rank possible heir (Nicholas' mother and aunts all stand before him in the legal inheritance system: also Romania has a inheritance rule based on the Code Napoléon (all children have an equal right). So the not so big private wealth of the King will be fragmented unless he donates it into a trust or foundation. So with all the blames towards Radu, something important is missing: the 'motive' for ousting the future.

The Romanians *were* not wealthy.

However, they certainly are now.

Since the return of the Royal Family to Romania, they have received back quite a substantial amount of property.

Ce nu se stia pana acum despre regele Mihai I. A ingropat securea razboiului cu statul roman si a ajuns in topul milionarilor ! - Ce nu se stia pana acum despre regele Mihai I. A ingropat securea razboiului cu statul roman si a ajuns in topul miliona

To parafrase the late Duchess of Alba: "Yes, maybe I have a Van Dyck or a Rembrandt but I can not take it under my arm and go to the supermarket". With other words: nice that they have some estates back but do these gain income -and if yes- is this not entirely needed for the upkeep of the estates?

Wartenberg7, Prince Albert is more royal than the former king of Romania which is now a republic, this royal family of Romania has no power, the king does not reign . Prince Albert of Monaco is reigning and governing what the other Kings ou Queens of monarchies of Europa are not doing, they are only reigning. Prince Albert has 2 illigitimat children, King Albert II has a illigitimat girl, Prince Bernard , prince consort had 2 illigitimat girls
For me, it is funny to read that a prince who has a out of wedlock child cannot be the chief of a royal family (a royal family and not the head of the state because Romania is a republic)

Wartenberg7, Prince Albert is more royal than the former king of Romania which is now a republic, this royal family of Romania has no power, the king does not reign . Prince Albert of Monaco is reigning and governing what the other Kings ou Queens of monarchies of Europa are not doing, they are only reigning. Prince Albert has 2 illigitimat children, King Albert II has a illigitimat girl, Prince Bernard , prince consort had 2 illigitimat girls
For me, it is funny to read that a prince who has a out of wedlock child cannot be the chief of a royal family (a royal family and not the head of the state because Romania is a republic)

I was not talking about powers, responsibilities etc. but about protocol. I´ve learnt that Pcss Caroline only became a "Royal Highness" since she got married to Prince E A of Hanover. None of the Grimaldis is a "HRH" by birth, nor the sovereign prince a "Majesty".
And yes, an ex monarch during the napoleonic time was much more "royal" than "His Imperial Majesty Napoleon, Emperor of the French", who was an usurper and crowned himself, although Master of at least two thirds of europe at the time. The only way to be "royal" is to get married into a royal house or to be born into it!

Talking about "reigning" and "governing", Prince Albert´s duties cover those comparing a Mayor of european cities like Manchester, Naples, Hamburg or Munich (note that Monaco is about as bis as the "English Park" in Munich...:whistling:).
Although he is "governing" the influence of, for instance the british Queen, head of a former world power and still head of the Commonwealth, is much bigger!

Last edited:
It is just a rumour:
- Nicholas has connections with criminals;
- Nicholas is homosexual;
- Nicholas has fathered a child outside marriage;
- etc.

"Prince Albert is more royal than King Michael" is really nonsense. I am sorry.

The daughters of King Michael have a dazzling royal ancestry. They really belong to the most royal of all royals around, with full blue-blooded quarters.

PARENTS
- King Michael of Romania, Prince von Hohenzollern
- Princess Anne de Bourbon de Parme

GRANDPARENTS
- King Carol of Romania, Prince von Hohenzollern
- Princess Helena of Greece and Denmark
- Prince René de Bourbon de Parme
- Princess Margaret of Denmark

GREAT GRANDPARENTS
- King Ferdinand of Romania, Prince von Hohenzollern
- Princess Marie of Edinburgh (granddaughter of Queen Victoria)
- King Constantine of the Hellenes, Prince of Denmark
- Princess Sophia of Prussia (granddaughter of Queen Victoria)
- Prince Robert de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma (brother of Empress Zita of Austria)
- Maria Antonia de Bragança, Infanta of Portugal (daughter of King Miguel of Portugal)
- Prince Valdemar of Denmark (granddaughter of King Christian IX of Denmark)
- Princess Marie de Bourbon d'Orléans (daughter of Prince Robert, Duc de Chartres)

GREAT-GREAT-GRANDPARENTS
- Prince Leopold, Fürst von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
- Antonia de Bragança, Infanta of Portugal
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh
- Maria Alexandrovna Romanova, Grand-Duchess of Russia
- King George I of the Hellenes, Prince of Denmark
- Olga Konstantinovna Romanova, Grand-Duchess of Russia
- Friedrich, German Emperor and King of Prussia
- Princess Victoria, The Princess Royal
- Prince Carlos III de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma
- Princess Louise de Bourbon, Princesse d'Artois
- King Miguel of Portugal
- Princess Adélaïde of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenborg
- King Christian IX of Denmark
- Princess Louise of Hessen-Kassel
- Prince Robert de Bourbon d'Orléans, Duc de Chartres
- Princess Françoise de Bourbon d'Orléans, Princesse de Joinville

Last edited:
The Royal daughters received a bad education, married communors , divorced etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom