Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It basically talks about how no one knows for sure why he lost his place in the succession. It suggests it could be because he is gay, likes gambling or that his desire to go into business was incompatible with being Royal. It also talks about the fact Radu does not like being 'in his place, one step behind his wife' and is very 'ambitious' and wants to be King on day.
It also says that Nicholas has gone to Kenya to escape the fuss.

thank you, as someone said, nothing new and nothing definate

It seems thats speculations are running wild and that this discussion is going in circles between three suggested options. Hopefully more clarity will be given at some point but for now I urge posters to display caution when discussing this subject.

Posts that are repeating the same arguments over & over again will be deleted. As will speculations about the state of health of the king or phantasy scenarios around this matter. Regard this post as a notification of possible editions or deletions of these posts by the TRF mod. team.

No speculation, just a statement: If the reason for the King´s decision was really that his grandson was gay (don´t think he is, but just in case), this would be a case for the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg!

If Romania wanted to be a EU member, this would be an absolute no-go!

The way this was handled led to speculation from the public and media. A recent article was posted which has the same old speculation, but it was a new article and thus worthy of posting to show that the media is still publishing stories speculating on this. That also means the public is still interested in this story too. This is a story that does not seem to be going away for the royal family that is going to haunt them until there is more clarity. This is because of how it was handled.

I expect the media when given the opportunity to speak to any members of this family will try to get answers and if they don't will do some digging because it is still newsworthy. I don't think this story is over, and until there is a new development that leaves speculation. It is a bad situation for this family.

Of course the story he did not end. And I'm sure that journalists in their first contact after holidays with Margarita and Randu will certainly ask them. Interesting what they answer.

Thanks Benjamin who remind us but now brought me melancholy :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a reminder of happier times in the Royal Family when Prince Nicholas celebrated his 30th birthday in April 2015.

The party was held at Elisabeta Palace and amongst the guests was Prince Alexander of Serbia, the son of the Crown Prince.

The affection between Nicholas and his aunts is very clear to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVsYTvGicJ0

No speculation, just a statement: If the reason for the King´s decision was really that his grandson was gay (don´t think he is, but just in case), this would be a case for the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg!

I have some doubts about that; I suppose that at the eyes of the ECtHR King Michael's decision would appear as the act, without any legal value, of a private citizen who strips his grandson off a royal title not legally recognized that also was conferred him with another also without legal value. I doubt that the Court would have any jurisdiction in such a matter.

Romania is already a member of the EU. Besides I don't think the ECHR would judge in such a case. They didn't take on Sigvard Bernadotte's case to regain his princely title and the French courts wouldn't judge a case between the Duke of Anjou and the Count of Paris regarding who had the right to the Anjou title.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I wonder whether it could be a money problem. Some royals receive a salary or allowance for carrying out duties, could it be that prince Nicholas asked for a pay rise? This may explain the reference to modesty

I wonder whether it could be a money problem. Some royals receive a salary or allowance for carrying out duties, could it be that prince Nicholas asked for a pay rise? This may explain the reference to modesty

He received no allowance. He worked (and still works) for a company. He simply has to earn his own living and that is why guesses as he would like to focus on his own career, his own private life and his of professional development (and therefore feeling not being the right person to carry the banner of monarchism) is not at all so strange.

It is nice to be applauded as Princess Elena's son, it is nice to make a bicycle tour around Romania. In the end he needs to pay his bills too, maybe to make a family and a living. Playing a prince, even of a defunct monarchy, is a costly affair.

He did not wish to give up his position in Romania and he really liked what he was doing.

Last edited:
Because the decision belonged to those who lead now the Family not to him.

I agree that decision taken fron King Mihai Nicolae just say ok what else can do?

Because the decision belonged to those who lead now the Family not to him.

Is there any other authority who can take that decision (take Nicholas out of the succession, remove Nicholas' royal titles, etc.)? Of course it is ultimately the King's decision but unless we know more, we can not say what was the trigger for it or who initiated that decison.

The King and only the King can take the decision to strip titles, succession rights, etc. to a member of the Royal Family.
But on the other hand a member of the Royal Family can decide sua sponte to renounce to his/her own succession rights, titles, etc.
If he wanted to do so, Nicholas could have easily renounced to his title and succession rights, without any need of an act of the King stripping him off those title and succession rights.

The King gave the title of Prince of Hohenzollern to the late Prince Nicolae but in that case there was a man born as Prince of Romania.
All the decisions of the King to give or strip titles to his descendants have no legal or constitutional consequences and regard only the Family.

Too many suppositions regarding this sad story.

The King gave the title of Prince of Hohenzollern to the late Prince Nicolae but in that case there was a man born as Prince of Romania.

All the decisions of the King to give or strip titles to his descendants have no legal or constitutional consequences and regard only the Family.

Cory,

What do you mean by the "lAte prince Nicolae? As far as I know he has not passed away. Are you simply saying that his time as a prince has passed on?

:previous: Cory surely meant 'former' prince. The difference between 'former' and 'late' is tricky for us who use English as a former language.

I believe Cory referred to Prince Nicolae of Romania (1903-1978), a younger son of King Ferdinand I and Queen Marie.
He was one of the three regents during King Michael's reign in 1927-1930. On the same year, after King Carol II returned to Romania and took the throne, Nicolae was deprived of his titles and succession rights because he married to a commoner.
Nicolaw later resumed his title of Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.

Cory,

What do you mean by the "lAte prince Nicolae? As far as I know he has not passed away. Are you simply saying that his time as a prince has passed on?

I was speaking about King Carol II's brother who passed away many years ago.

Publisher and editor Ted Rosvall started Rosvall Royal Books in 1985 and has so far published 28 books on The Royal Families of Europe. In 2006 he started Royalty Digest Quarterly - a successor to Royalty Digest, A journal of Record, that was published 1991-2005 by Piccadilly Rare Books.

Rosvall about Nicholas losing his title
Romanian Rhapsody - Blog - Royalbooks

Quite an interesting view of the situation. Thanks for posting the link. And quite unique for mr. Rosvall to speak out on such a matter.

The King's Family does not realize how much popularity was lost with this sad episode.

Publisher and editor Ted Rosvall started Rosvall Royal Books in 1985 and has so far published 28 books on The Royal Families of Europe. In 2006 he started Royalty Digest Quarterly - a successor to Royalty Digest, A journal of Record, that was published 1991-2005 by Piccadilly Rare Books.

Rosvall about Nicholas losing his title
Romanian Rhapsody - Blog - Royalbooks

Rosvall has lost all credibility by loosing himself into an one-sided subjective rant without knowing the facts and based on speculation.

Rosvall books are very expensive , I have only one ..
Their black and white pictures are unclearly printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom