Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can imagine, from the viewpoint of a Head of a royal dynasty, from the viewpoint of noblesse oblige, that not believing in "Project Romania", not feeling the zest and the commitment for it, then the words "well-tempered modesty, moral principles, respect and constant thought for others" maybe should be read as;

"Feel humble, adhere to (and respect) the principles of the Royal House of Romania and keep in mind what your actions mean for others" (read: the King and the royal family).

When Nicholas maybe would have said "No thank you, I feel I am not committed enough to fly the banner for Romania, I want to be in charge of my own life" it is received as "You arrogant brat, you selfish idiot, do you have any idea what damage you are doing now?"

No one knows. Any guess is as good as it is.

Duc, how do you have time to write such a lot long threads for a hopeless Situation ?

I can write long threads about the dresses worn by Crown Princess Mette-Marit or the baby-clothes of Princess Charlotte as well, but this is far more interesting.

:flowers:

Most members of deposed Royal Families have normal day jobs, probably because they don't exactly have lodes of public duties to perform.
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece - works in finance
Crown Princess Marie Chantal - has her own children's fashion line
Prince Kyrill of Bulgaria - works in banking / finance
Hereditary Prince Peter of Yugoslavia- works in graphic design/computers
Prince Philip of Yugoslavia - works in finance
Prince Alexander of yugoslavia - works in internet publishing

Furthermore very few of those listed actually live in the country they are 'royals' to. This just makes me feel that King Michael is placing too much pressure and expectations on Nicholas.

Of course all these former royals have regular jobs. What else could do; The throne bit slow for them yet :)

Nicolae father Robin Medforth-Mills was not rich?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Robin Leslie Medforth-Mills worked as professor in geography at Durham University. He did some humanitarian work for the UN as well. Those are nicely paid functions. He lived at Flass Hall near Esh Winning (Durham) where his children also lived. See picture. The estimate for that house in that village is appr. 285.000 GBP, so if it was free of mortgage, Dr Medforth Mills had some property indeed.

Last edited:
Dr Robin Leslie Medforth-Mills worked as professor in geography at Durham University. He did some humanitarian work for the UN as well. Those are nicely paid functions. He still lives at Flass Hall near Esh Winning (Durham) where his children also lived. See picture. The estimate for that house in that village is appr. 285.000 GBP, so if it is free of mortgage, Dr Medforth Mills has some property indeed.

I've always had the impression that the Medforth-Mills are gentry so he's not just anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I've always had the impression that the Medforth-Mills are gentry so he's not just anybody.

No idea, if he was gentry. His father Cyril Mills married his mother Nora Medforth and somehow Robin got the surname Medforth-Mills.

The meaning of "gentry" seems to be: "A traditional British social class consisting of gentlemen in the original sense; that is, those who owned land in the form of country estates to such an extent that they were not required to actively work, except in an administrative capacity on their own lands. The estates were often (but not always) made up of tenanted farms, in which case the gentleman could live entirely off rent income."

Here are five Mills in the Landed Gentry but if these are indeed Robin Mills' ancestors?

https://books.google.nl/books?id=ps...=onepage&q=william mills esq bisterne&f=false

I think he is died. No?

Yes, I learned Nicholas' father died in 2002. Too bad for Nicholas and Elizabeth...

Leslie Robin Medforth-Mills

Birthdate: December 8, 1942
Birthplace: Sproatley, Holderness, Yorkshire, Britain (UK)
Death: Died February 2, 2002 in Geneva, Switzerland

Place of Burial:
Geneva, Switzerland

Immediate Family:

Son of Cyril Mills and Nora Mills
Ex-husband of <private> Mc Ateer (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen)
Father of <private> Medforth-Mills and <private> Medforth-Mills
Brother of Donald I. Mills

:sad:

Last edited:

They are indeed.

Dr Medforth-Mills collaborated with the UN for many years.

He and Princess Helen had opened a school in Sudan during their time there.

No idea, if he was gentry. His father Cyril Mills married his mother Nora Medforth and somehow Robin got the surname Medforth-Mills.

The meaning of "gentry" seems to be: "A traditional British social class consisting of gentlemen in the original sense; that is, those who owned land in the form of country estates to such an extent that they were not required to actively work, except in an administrative capacity on their own lands. The estates were often (but not always) made up of tenanted farms, in which case the gentleman could live entirely off rent income."

Here are five Mills in the Landed Gentry but if these are indeed Robin Mills' ancestors?

https://books.google.nl/books?id=ps...=onepage&q=william mills esq bisterne&f=false

Yes, I learned Nicholas' father died in 2002. Too bad for Nicholas and Elizabeth...

Leslie Robin Medforth-Mills

Birthdate: December 8, 1942
Birthplace: Sproatley, Holderness, Yorkshire, Britain (UK)
Death: Died February 2, 2002 in Geneva, Switzerland

Place of Burial:
Geneva, Switzerland

Immediate Family:

Son of Cyril Mills and Nora Mills
Ex-husband of <private> Mc Ateer (Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen)
Father of <private> Medforth-Mills and <private> Medforth-Mills
Brother of Donald I. Mills

:sad:

Here are there more informations on the Mills and Medforth families. All labourers, no gentry : The Heirs of Europe: ROMANIA

The decision by King Michael of withdrawal of "Royal Highness" and "Prince of Romania" from his grandson Nicholas does not affect awarding him with the title the honorary citizen of Sibiu according to the Mayor's Office.
Astrid Fodor, the mayor of Sibiu, says that the decision to award prince Nicolae with the title of honorary citizen was taken "because of his personality", given the projects he was involved in, and not because of his titles.
"Sibiu has been honored to receive on several occasions visit of His Royal Highness Prince Nicolae of Romania, who brought projects with a significant impact to the community. These include program The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award, in which he is the ambassador, as well as tour "Childhood Books on Bicycle", a project to raise awareness about the importance of reading in education especially among young people, but also about the benefits of using the bicycle as a way to maintain good health through movement. The decision to grant the title of honorary citizen was taken in terms of his personality and not the titles, said Astrid Fodor.
"The Local Government therefore maintains it's intention to hand out this title to Nicolae Mihai de Roumanie Medforth Mills. Our legal service will check if there are necessary amendments to the decision of the Local Council, in the new context, Fodor said.
Sibiul îl vrea în continuare cetăţean de onoare pe Principele Nicolae _ Știri de Sibiu
Translation

Last edited:
Daily Beast: Meet the Romanian Prince Who Will Never Be King

So what has gone wrong, people are asking?
The simplest answer was given by one source who said, “He’s fallen out with his grandson, basically.”
Part of Nicolae’s clash with his grandfather is said to concern what the King perceives as a lack of regal dignity on Nicolae’s part. While, for example, most would applaud his 1,000-mile bike ride across the country in aid of a literacy program, it did not please the King, who is said to have been dismayed at the future ruler allowing himself to be photographed sunburnt and unshaven.
A story in the papers that Nicolae was moving out of the royal palace because he couldn’t get pizza delivered there—the pizza companies, he said, thought it was a joke when he gave the address and hung up—also went down badly with the old man, sources say.
In other places they call this, with approval, a common touch.
It all seems like mystifyingly slender grounds on which to part a young man from his birthright.

Ion Ionita, editor in chief of Romania’s Historia magazine, and a pro-Monarchist, told the Royalist via email that while he respected the integrity of King Michael and his decision, the lack of information or justification for it had caused “a lot of frustration” among Royalists. Nicolae represents for them the future of monarchy in Romania. In fact, nobody except the king and his inner circle, knows the reason behind the King’s decision. There are some rumors about a family dispute concerning the succession and rivalry but they are just rumors, not evidences. The story is a mystery and now it is very difficult to anticipate the future of monarchy in Romania taking into consideration Prince Radu and Princess Margareta have no children.”
Meet the Romanian Prince Who Will Never Be King - The Daily Beast

The simplest answer was given by one source who said, “He’s fallen out with his grandson, basically.”
Part of Nicolae’s clash with his grandfather is said to concern what the King perceives as a lack of regal dignity on Nicolae’s part. While, for example, most would applaud his 1,000-mile bike ride across the country in aid of a literacy program, it did not please the King, who is said to have been dismayed at the future ruler allowing himself to be photographed sunburnt and unshaven.
A story in the papers that Nicolae was moving out of the royal palace because he couldn’t get pizza delivered there—the pizza companies, he said, thought it was a joke when he gave the address and hung up—also went down badly with the old man, sources say.

If this is the (most ridiculous and laughable) reason one should remind the old man that we live in 2015 and not 1815...
Did he ever take notice of the appearances of today´s Princes in many successful REIGNING houses!?!:bang::whistling::ermm::bang:

I mean, did Michael lose his mind, ending the future of his dynasty because his grandson ordered pizza and doesn´t shave the way he wishes....!?

Last edited:
:previous:
You are right. The screed article in question has not added anything new to the puzzling situation.
The reason to withdraw the title is still shrouded in mystery. I wonder what Mr Medforth-Mills did do wrong. Nicholas was/is the only viable candidate to continue the dynasty.

Last edited:
ohh the poor king is sooo out of touch and ancient and archaic...its actually good such people dont get to reign.. Guess how much chaos he would have created if he had real constitutional authority, with such poor judgement.. Even the much younger, healthier, popular, 'real' monarchs leave so many decisions and strategies to the future gen after a point. But this old man looks too stubborn..

It all seems like mystifyingly slender grounds on which to part a young man from his birthright.

Ion Ionita, editor in chief of Romania’s Historia magazine, and a pro-Monarchist, told the Royalist via email that while he respected the integrity of King Michael and his decision, the lack of information or justification for it had caused “a lot of frustration” among Royalists. Nicolae represents for them the future of monarchy in Romania. In fact, nobody except the king and his inner circle, knows the reason behind the King’s decision. There are some rumors about a family dispute concerning the succession and rivalry but they are just rumors, not evidences. The story is a mystery and now it is very difficult to anticipate the future of monarchy in Romania taking into consideration Prince Radu and Princess Margareta have no children.”
Thabnk you for this info.... it looks like it's very likely...

Wasn't Henry VIII very popular when he first took the throne BECAUSE he was young, handsome, athletic, bearded and projected a bright future?

ohh the poor king is sooo out of touch and ancient and archaic...its actually good such people dont get to reign.. Guess how much chaos he would have created if he had real constitutional authority, with such poor judgement.. Even the much younger, healthier, popular, 'real' monarchs leave so many decisions and strategies to the future gen after a point. But this old man looks too stubborn..

King Michael was superb when he reigned. He overthrew an evil fascist dictator and then stood up to the Communists. Who else who was in power in that era did that?

He has more toughness in his eyelashes than Obama has in his whole body.

I just wonder why on Earth he'd want to deny royal succession to someone when it must have been so painful for him to lose the throne himself.

I have always believed King Michael to be a very wise man and I very much doubt he would do this without a good reason. Being young, fit and popular doesn't automatically make you a good monarch, I think we should remember.

It all seems like mystifyingly slender grounds on which to part a young man from his birthright. [/URL]

Approximate English translation of above: He had involvement in professional sports, private activities that do not match the activity of Succession, had no diplomatic experience and these challenges were too large and could not not go so well in the future. "Said Ioan Luca Vlad adviser Royal House private.

Has Margarita diplomatic experience? What was he not given diplomatic experience or a diplomatic education over the last five years? What professional sport excludes you from succession? I only know about the cycling, is it cycling?

The more that is said, the more confusing it gets.

This came up before when they listed one of the reasons was his involvement in professional sports and I questioned it at the time. So this now has two sources. He was on a bike in the photo op six days before the decision so maybe that was the last straw. If this is true then they are out of touch.

I think we've heard these ten days so many causes that you do not know what to believe anymore. But I want to believe that King Mihai did a move that costs for the time the monarchy in Romania without having had a very good reason. Perhaps some day we learn it.

Nicholas has updated his LinkedIn-profile. I looked it a couple of days ago and then there was just a little of text. Now there is much more:
Nicholas Medforth - Mills _ LinkedIn

According to it he is still working at Asociatia Curtea Veche and Curtea Veche Publishing in Romania.

Last edited:

Couldn´t agree more, vkrish! Thanks for your wise post! :flowers:

I have always believed King Michael to be a very wise man and I very much doubt he would do this without a good reason. Being young, fit and popular doesn't automatically make you a good monarch, I think we should remember.

Well, I stopped believing he was wise...
Being old, unfit and living away from your country you want your family to rule over again doesn´t make you a good monarch either, we should remember!:whistling::lol:

I share your opinion! :flowers:

He was a wise young man who was sold out, along with his subjects, by the US and UK after the war. Romania would have been a very different country today if he had not been forced the abdicate by the communists. None the less he is almost 94 now and perhaps not at the top of his game, so to speak. And who knows who may have influenced his negative decision towards Nicholas.

All possibilities are open, also Nicholas preferring to be freed from the 'luggage' he has to bear. We simply don't know. I feel it is short-sighted and not based on any substance to point the finger to the grandfather. Note that the grandfather was the last to "gain" anything at all with all this demarché. His House loosed a successor, so we may assume the King has had ample reason to act as he did. To my personal idea this was because Nicholas made clear that he did not believe in the prospects for the House of Romania, was no longer willing to chase ghosts of the past and wanted to concentrate on his own life and career.

Last edited:
He was the only one who was not "chasing ghosts" but bringing hope to people and he represented the only way for this Family to restore Monarchy. He had too many projects this year and it is obvious he really enjoyed what he was doing. He was unfortunately stopped to continue his wonderful mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom