Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if he is leaving it up to Margarita to pick an heir, but if Nicholas is not up to it then who is? This puts a lot on Margarita. Margarita's health was not good for a while, so she will have to prepare someone. We know little about Karina. It is more likely she will need to get her sisters to increase their roles. Marie is in Romania, Sophie says she is moving there once her daughter graduates (2017), but what about Elena? How do Elena and Karina feel about what has happened to Nicholas? Can Margarita or Elena redeem Nicholas? This does not feel good for the monarchy.

Last edited:
As Nicholas is out of the picture, the idea of restoring the monarchy will die.

He represented the future.

Now, there is not one.

thanks. I have an updated post. The google translation got it wrong. Michael did not say anything about end of family ... Margarita will have right to name her heir when she is head. I just spent an hour chatting with the RF's lawyer Royal Musings: More on King Michael's decision.

Thank you for this.
Various medias write even in english about this.
"Even though the Royal House’s press release doesn’t mention the reason why King Mihai took such a decision, some counselors explained to the Romanian media that the grandson basically couldn’t live up to the “rigors” which is title implied. Speaking to Digi24, Ioan Luca Vlad, one of the advisors of Romania’s Royal House, said Prince Nicholas’ ideals were not compliant with the rigorous demands the title involved, pointing to environmental, youth and business related projects the prince was coordinating."
King Mihai of Romania withdraws his grandson the title of “Prince of Romania” _ Independent Balkan News Agency

Nicholas should be free to remain in Romania as a private citizen and get a job there. The fact that they say he will be leaving after he returns from vacation to find a job somewhere else may also imply he is not welcome in Romania. It may be that he has said/done something to upset the government and that a condition of the family continuing their status is he's gone. Maybe Michael sent a letter to Elena cause there is a reason he did not want to use the phone. They could be badmouthing without actually badmouthing Nicholas to appease the government. The scandal they could be afraid of is the government going after Nicholas. Those government officials may be gone once Margarita is the head of the family and she may be able to reinstate him. That is why it is left open for her to pick her heir. They may be waiting out the new government. The old government wanted to hold a referendum on returning the monarchy. Knowing there is no chance for reinstatement now, they are taking the PR hit to rebuild once the government is gone. Nicholas could get a job with an NGO outside Romania that helps Romanians. Or he could get a job giving him public service or diplomatic experience maybe with the EU. Saying Nicholas lacks diplomatic experience may be to give them an opportunity to have him meet that goal and be redeemed. Is it possible we are looking at this all wrong and this is for the protection of Nicholas and the monarchy?

Nicholas should be free to remain in Romania as a private citizen and get a job there. The fact that they say he will be leaving after he returns from vacation to find a job somewhere else may also imply he is not welcome in Romania. It may be that he has said/done something to upset the government and that a condition of the family continuing their status is he's gone. Maybe Michael sent a letter to Elena cause there is a reason he did not want to use the phone. They could be badmouthing without actually badmouthing Nicholas to appease the government. The scandal they could be afraid of is the government going after Nicholas. Those government officials may be gone once Margarita is the head of the family and she may be able to reinstate him. That is why it is left open for her to pick her heir. They may be waiting out the new government. The old government wanted to hold a referendum on returning the monarchy. Knowing there is no chance for reinstatement now, they are taking the PR hit to rebuild once the government is gone. Nicholas could get a job with an NGO outside Romania that helps Romanians. Or he could get a job giving him public service or diplomatic experience maybe with the EU. Saying Nicholas lacks diplomatic experience may be to give them an opportunity to have him meet that goal and be redeemed. Is it possible we are looking at this all wrong and this is for the protection of Nicholas and the monarchy?

I don't think so. I think in terms of PR and the future of monarchy that this decision is disastrous and spells the end of any future restoration. The King has basically said that Nicholas has let him down and now he should bugger off. I can well imagine people thinking, " well we liked Nicholas, he seemed to be doing a great job but now you don't want him so why should we want you."
After reading through all the posts here, the newspaper articles and Marlenes blog personally I feel that there is something in Nicholas private life that the King feels is not worthy of the role of Monarchy in Roumania. Homosexuality would fit that, though that is pure speculation.
I also feel that there is no real chance of the Royal family continuing in the future. Why should the people of the country take the risk of trying yet another grandchild of the king when that person could also be take away from them. Also as far as I can tell no other grandchild has shown the slightest interest in the country
I am very disappointed with this decision and can only hope that Nicholas finds happiness and fulfilment elsewhere.

I've been thinking about this whole situation from Nicolae's point of view and the possible disparity between his point of view and King Michael's.

Nicolae lived most of his life in a normal way, with his own plans for his future and career and how he wanted to live his life. He is then asked if he would come to Romania, learn the language and culture and be adopted, so to speak, into a whole new life, with a title as prince and possibly king at some point in the future.

He throws himself into the challenge and does remarkably well becoming popular and doing much good for the people of Romania.
But giving up his former life must have been a huge compromise and so I wonder whether he felt that in return for doing all that he has done for King Michael and his adoptive country, he wanted something in return - to be able to pursue his own interest outside of Romania - various charities or business interests, his cycling events etc etc that had nothing to do with his role in the royal family and a possible restoration. So it could have been his commitment and willingness to devote ALL of his time in Romania that the king felt was lacking and either no compromise could be reached or was sought.

It is a very sad situation for everyone concerned, the king, the former prince, the crown princess and not least of all the people of Romania - particularly those who support the royal family and restoration.

I hope very much that we continue to hear news of Nicolae's life and be updated with what he is doing from time to time because I have always enjoyed this thread and will miss him a great deal in his role as prince.

I am so shocked by this news! To be honest I feel very sorry for Nicholas. He changed his life for his family and the succession. Moved to Romania, took on patronages and royal visits. He seemed to be doing a lot of good in Romania, particularly with children and young people. To suddenly be stripped of his titles and position is really surprising. There has to be more to this?!

The more I think about this story and the more I am puzzled.
If the issue is really only the fact that Nicolae has understood that he isn't fit for a royal role and that he prefers to return back to his life as a private person, why just don't tell it and renounce to titles and succession rights? That would be perfectly understandable.
But why, instead, it was King Michael who stripped him of his title and succession rights? And why so suddenly? Why did they choose to act this way instead of a clearer, easier and more understandable way?

If the issue is really only the fact that Nicolae has understood that he isn't fit for a royal role and that he prefers to return back to his life as a private person, why just don't tell it and renounce to titles and succession rights? That would be perfectly understandable.
But why, instead, it was King Michael who stripped him of his title and succession rights? And why so suddenly? Why did they choose to act this way instead of a clearer, easier and more understandable way?

It would have been a more clearer decision and way to handle this, if Nicholas would have given a statement - if he wanted to give up his title.

Now this advisor of the Royal House, Mr. Vlad, has spoken a lot to the media, some quotes from an article:
"‘Surely, it will be difficult to get used to it, now I am the first to say that his presence in Romania was a beneficial one and he thinks that he has learned a lot while in Romania, that his experience was extraordinary and unique, so there is nothing and there is no reason for which he leaves Romania due to Romania, on the contrary there are nice memories to be left with’"
"now, nothing happened and we hope nothing to happen in the future, but we got to such a formula to ensure that the future will be nice for both parties’"
About the future for Nicholas
"‘He may get into private business, he may continue with charity activities, he may continue with his activities with the youth, or ecological ones, this renouncement reopens all paths which were closed the moment he assumed the role he had in Romania. By giving up this role, all the other options are valid. He is a young man with unique experience and many companies. The NGOs want him to do extraordinary things with them, for example, Kenya from where he came back quite recently’".
King Mihai withdraws grandson Nicholas actmedia

He makes it sound like they were the whole time waiting that Nicholas makes some mistake. Didn't he have a guidance to help him to learn his role?

"a way of life that leads me find difficult to accept" what this mean?

"a way of life that leads me find difficult to accept" what this mean?

Google translation isn't always so good, so we have to wait until the statement is published in english in some news website. Then we can know what he really meant.

An article in english about Nicholas' statement:
...I assume this decision, it comes following a period when I have reflected upon the future of the country and of our House, as well as upon the role that I can play for their growth. The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept. That’s why, I regretfully consider that the decision of HM the King is welcome to me. I will search in the future to serve my ideals and principles in a different way...
First statements of Prince Nicolae after removal from the line of succession _ The Romania Journal

Last edited by a moderator:

In a situation like this Google translate is unfortunately not exact enough, i have a feeling that the exact wording of the statement is very important here and hopefully a romanian speaking person can enlighten us how accurate google go the translation.

That said, what i can make of it, it seems Mihai and Nicolas had a discussion about the topic, Mihai made the decision and Nicolas, although it wouldn't have been his decision, accepts the decision that was made...

I don't see how his charitavle works would have been a hinderance to the position, as implied by all this. It would have been of benefit for Romania. Some people have thought that sexuality may have bee an issue, and I thik that is valid though only speculation. I also think that rejigon may also be an issue. In a country, which I think still has deep religious beliefs, and a family that upholds the Christian church. Perhaps Nicholas is an atheist, or Buddhist.

Over the centuries, many monarchs and their heirs have lived lives which fly in the face of the social norms but they've done so quietly and privately. I can't see sexuality or religion being a factor in this.

The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept.

Interesting and brave words from Nicolae. What's more, I can think of several royals who could potentially have said exactly the same sort of thing, but never did anything about it and ploughed on regardless becoming more and more unhappier.

Interesting and brave words from Nicolae. What's more, I can think of several royals who could potentially have said exactly the same sort of thing, but never did anything about it and ploughed on regardless becoming more and more unhappier.

i think you have a point there; others may have considered it but didn't act on that or possibly weren't given the opportunity to act on it..
If he saw his royal future as a golden cage, similar to how P.Claus of the Netherlands and (i think) P.Masako of Japan perceived it, this was the right choice to make

All in all it was a wise decision by King Michael. Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills, later Mr Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills, later Prince Nicolae of Romania, now again Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills in essence is a Swiss-born man from a British father who suddenly saw himself incorporated in a senior role in the Romanian royal family. No one then thinks about the man himself. What does he think about all this? The privilèges (are there?) versus the consequences (not having a private life). The own ambitions versus the royal expectations. The own worldview versus the world(view) of the former Romanian monarchy.

As I understood it all, Nicholas has come to the point for himself that he sees no future for him as Heir to the Romanian royal dynasty. Then it is the best and the wisest decision to end it, now it is still not so settled deeply. Here and there I see posters assuming that the monarchy ends etc. but that is not true. The original line of succession, before King Michael changed it by himself, still is as established by the last Constitution before the Communist seizure of the country. And that is:

1. Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern (1952), son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Princess Margarita von Leiningen

2. Alexander Prinz von Hohenzollern (1987), son of Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Alexandra Schenk, Gräfin von Stauffenberg

3. Albrecht Johannes Prinz von Hohenzollern (1954), son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Princess Margarita von Leiningen

4. Ferdinand Maria Prinz von Hohenzollern (1960), son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Princess Margarita von Leiningen

5. Aloïs Prinz von Hohenzollern (1999), son of Ferdinand Maria Prinz von Hohenzollern and of Ilona Gräfin Kálnoky von Kőröspatak

6. Fidelis Prinz von Hohenzollern (2001), son of Ferdinand Maria Prinz von Hohenzollern and of Ilona Gräfin Kálnoky von Kőröspatak

Last edited:
[... ] But why, instead, it was King Michael who stripped him of his title and succession rights? And why so suddenly? Why did they choose to act this way instead of a clearer, easier and more understandable way?

Because King Michael is the only authority to do so, as head of the Royal House.

Because King Michael is the only authority to do so, as head of the Royal House.

Under the old monarchical constitution, the King could have no more made his grandson a prince than he could have stripped Nicholas of the title five years later.

Last edited:
A agree with Duc, it is a wise Decusion of King Michael. Hard to do it when you are more than 90 years old.
He is a really great Royal .

The 94 year old King is apparently acting under the advice of a "Crown Council" that no one had heard about until this took place.

FOTO Ziua excluderii Principelui Nicolae. Cine au fost sfatuitorii Regelui Mihai si ce cauta acolo Mihnea Constantinescu, fost consilier pe langa patru premieri - Esential - HotNews.ro

Now it is interesting what will happen with the Royal House of Romania.

The whole move by King Michael shows how tricky it is to change rules overnight. The King unilaterally changed the line of succession and made his daughters successors to the throne of Romania.

Then he removed a daughter from her royal birthright because she did something with cockfights, an absurd reason for removing someone's birthright - and that of her children. Now a son from his second eldest daughter, the Number Three in his renewed line of succession basically says: "Hmmm, no..., this is nothing for me" and it leaves King Michael as an amateur making ill-thought decisions.

As long as the monarchy was just theory, the King should simply have respected the Constitution he solemnly pledged to maintain and to protect with his life and leave the succession as it is. As I understood it correctly, Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills was made HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania but his sister became no Princess. She remained Elizabeth de Roumanie Medforth-Mills and stayed out of the public eye. What now? Making Karina a Princess? Or making her cousin Elizabeth de Roumanie Biarneix a Princess now?

I think Princess Margarita will re-instate the original line of succession (Hohenzollern). Her father can not do this without painfully losing his face. But what disappointed me most: even if we accept that the King has the right to change the rules, even unilaterally, the idea that Princess Margarita now can "choose a Heir" is so against the whole principle. If a head of a royal dynasty can decide about the claim on a throne purely based on his/her own will, this is an absolutist system and has nothing anymore to do with a proper, constitutional and functioning monarchy (in exile).

Last edited:
Now a son from his second eldest daughter, the Number Three in his renewed line of succession basically says: "Hmmm, no..., this is nothing for me" and it leaves King Michael as an amateur making ill-thought decisions.

If you read any of the informations posted about this development, you will learn that Nicholas had nothing to do with the loss of his title and style.

The King, with the aid of a Royal Council and in the presence of his eldest daughter and son-in-law who were visiting him in Switzerland, made the decision to remove the popular Nicholas from the line of succession.

Nicholas was travelling and was neither in Switzerland or Romania at the time.

Last edited:
Whatever the truth (and I doubt we'll ever find out what really occurred here), in recent years the Romanian people seemed to be warming to the idea of constitutional monarchy and to the proposed incumbents. Now the King has shattered that with one signature. And frankly, I think it's tainted his legacy.

On another royal forum the excellent contributor Guy Stair Stainty has worded it excellently:

So this sorry episode descends further into farce; having drawn up a wholly imaginary "line of succession" "Crown" Princess Margarita is to be able to select an heir to the throne! As if the Romanian crown was some bauble to be tossed around like a tennis ball at the will of family members.

Whatever is the point of a monarchy that has such disregard to the law, for the people it is supposed to serve and for the future? I am criticised for having the temerity to argue that the King should be the most stalwart defender of the law, particularly the law that gave him the throne in the first place - but what more do we expect of a sovereign?

If a sovereign does not respect the law, then he or she becomes a despot - the canonist and chaplain to Louis XIV (later Bishop of Clermont) Jean-Baptiste Massillon (1663-1742) told his royal master “it is not the sovereign, it is the law Sire, that reigns over peoples. You are only its minister and the first depository of it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom