Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His name was already taken away from the line of succession at the Royal Family's site. His profile has also been deleted.

Karina is still there (as 3rd in line), as well as Princess Sofia's daughter.

Linia de succesiune

Instituții de învățământ

From the orders and decorations he held it also looks like he has been stripped of the Order of the Romanian Crown, of which he held the highest class the Grand Cross which he received in 2013, as he is no longer listed as a recipient on the webpage.

Ordinului Coroana României

Although it seems he still has the Nihil Sine Deo medal which he received in 2010. On the webpage for this decoration he's named as Mr Nicholas Michael Medforth-Mills.

Decorația Regala Nihil Sine Deo

There was no meeting between the King and his grandson before this shocking decision.

This decision oficially signed by the King means this Family has no future as reigning Royal Family in the country.

The majority of Romanian royalists are not only dissapointed but won't probably suport this Family anymore.

Princess Elena's son is not in Romania anymore and I really wonder if he will be back soon.

Last edited:
Maybe Nicolae felt constrained by the duties involved in being the heir to a throne that, lets be real, will probably never be restored, and feels he needs a career. Being king is a career he may never have and perhaps the King felt that Nicolae, having a career out side of Romania, is not appropriate.

If this was about him wanting to take a particular job, you would think he would have taken that job. Instead he is unemployed, seemingly taking a break in Amsterdam, and they are talking about options he might have.

The decision was taken by the Family and it does not seem to me Nicholas has said recently he would not be interested to represent the Royal Family anymore. He was involved in many projects in Romania which were a proof he really wanted to continue not to give up. He was too popular and maybe somebody did not really liked it.

Maybe Nicolae felt constrained by the duties involved in being the heir to a throne that, lets be real, will probably never be restored, and feels he needs a career. Being king is a career he may never have and perhaps the King felt that Nicolae, having a career out side of Romania, is not appropriate.

That would be a strange reason, given countless monarchs and royals though out history have maintained their titles and held a profession at the same time.

The explanations given by the King's Family did not really convinced anybody.

That would be terrible if the King did this without even meeting with his grandson in person. It would lower my respect for Michael.

That would be terrible if the King did this without even meeting with his grandson in person. It would lower my respect for Michael.

And will it not start a debate about how sound of mind the King is? To effectively destroy any chance of a restoration doesn't sound like the sort of thing he'd do unless he absolutely had to....but where's the justification for it? It's so strange. :bang:

And will it not start a debate about how sound of mind the King is? To effectively destroy any chance of a restoration doesn't sound like the sort of thing he'd do unless he absolutely had to....but where's the justification for it? It's so strange. :bang:
Good point, at 94 perhaps he is a little addled.

Actually they did not meet in August when the decision was taken...

Last edited:

By definition, a monarchy is hereditary and has heirs; so to cut it off at his daughters makes a monarchist movement difficult to maintain and makes a restoration impossible. He has left the opportunity for Margarita to reinstate him and repair the damage.

Also to make references to morals, ideals, norms, and say Nicholas has done nothing wrong or scandalous that this is to prevent scandal is very foreboding encouraging speculation and attention; especially for Nicholas. People are speculating gay? sex change? unacceptable partner?

If Nicholas had decided this is not for me, they could have said it is with heavy heart we announce.. and we wish him the best etc. He would have also released a statement. He could have still remained a Prince de Roumanie. Prince Irakli of Georgia said this is not for me and renounced his place in succession in favour of his brother David with little fanfare and maintained his titles. No statement from him implies this is not mutual and telling his mother by letter implies disconnect and possibly that Nicholas couldn't even bare to tell his mother.

Other monarchs have not married and some were gay. Others like Baudouin of Belgium we childless. You can be a monarch without producing an heir. The King of Cambodia is referred to as feeling about women the way he feels about his sisters and thus will never marry or produce a heir. The head of the House of Bavaria is gay. So being gay does not have to be a reason to strip him of his titles. In that situation, you would just add duties to Karina quietly and increase them over time.

It is indeed strange.

Last edited:
Why should his aunt reinstate him?

Last edited:
If Nicholas had decided this is not for me, they could have said it is with heavy heart we announce.. and we wish him the best etc. He would have also released a statement. He could have still remained a Prince de Roumanie. Prince Irakli of Georgia said this is not for me and renounced his place in succession in favour of his brother David with little fanfare and maintained his titles. No statement from him implies this is not mutual and telling his mother by letter implies disconnect and possibly that Nicholas couldn't even bare to tell his mother.

Yes, very very true. It's as if we're being told, Nicolae has done something terrible but you're not allowed to know. In which case, why mention it at all?

After reading the announcement, albeit in translation, I think that there's some kind of moral and/or lifestyle issue that the King didn't know about when he made Nicholas a prince. We have no idea what that is.

For those of us who do not speak or read Romanian, here is a rough translation (via google translate) of the text of the announcement:

I must say that I am shocked by this news and although we have no idea as yet why King Michael has made this decision, my initial reaction is that granting styles and titles and setting out some kind of future to go with those styles and titles changed the course of Nicolas's life and seemingly changing that after just a few years is very strange.

Approximate English translation of above: He had involvement in professional sports, private activities that do not match the activity of Succession, had no diplomatic experience and these challenges were too large and could not not go so well in the future. "Said Ioan Luca Vlad adviser Royal House private.

Has Margarita diplomatic experience? What was he not given diplomatic experience or a diplomatic education over the last five years? What professional sport excludes you from succession? I only know about the cycling, is it cycling?

The more that is said, the more confusing it gets.

Also to make references to morals, ideals, norms, and say Nicholas has done nothing wrong or scandalous that this is to prevent scandal is very foreboding encouraging speculation

It certainly does nothing positive for the prince's reputation and may ruin the good will he did engender.

If Nicholas had decided this is not for me, they could have said it is with heavy heart we announce.. and we wish him the best etc. He would have also released a statement. He could have still remained a Prince de Roumanie.

This certainly would have put a better face on the situation.

Other monarchs have not married and some were gay. Others like Baudouin of Belgium we childless. You can be a monarch without producing an heir. The King of Cambodia is referred to as feeling about women the way he feels about his sisters and thus will never marry or produce a heir. The head of the House of Bavaria is gay. So being gay does not have to be a reason to strip him of his titles. In that situation, you would just add duties to Karina quietly and increase them over time.

Not good examples at all. Queen Fabiola miscarried many times, they tried to have children. Plus Baudouin had a brother who had two sons and a daughter, so the succession was both secure and clear.

Cambodia has a royal council that chooses the new King, it is hereditary within the family as a whole. Plus King Sihanouk had 14 children, so no problem with successors there.

As for Bavaria, they are not reigning, there are a male heirs, and they could probably pass the head of the house to a niece if they really wanted to. Being quietly gay in a non-reigning house that isn't working towards a restoration is simply a private, not a public, matter. With a family as small as King Michael's, working towards restoration in a very public way, in an eastern European country, to have the second in line be gay, not having any children of his own or a proper consort, would be a disaster. If they were reigning your idea of having his sister provide the heir might work, but not in this situation.

It certainly does nothing positive for the prince's reputation and may ruin the good will he did engender.

This certainly would have put a better face on the situation.

Not good examples at all. Queen Fabiola miscarried many times, they tried to have children. Plus Baudouin had a brother who had two sons and a daughter, so the succession was both secure and clear.

Cambodia has a royal council that chooses the new King, it is hereditary within the family as a whole. Plus King Sihanouk had 14 children, so no problem with successors there.

As for Bavaria, they are not reigning, there are a male heirs, and they could probably pass the head of the house to a niece if they really wanted to. Being quietly gay in a non-reigning house that isn't working towards a restoration is simply a private, not a public, matter. With a family as small as King Michael's, working towards restoration in a very public way, in an eastern European country, to have the second in line be gay, not having any children of his own or a proper consort, would be a disaster. If they were reigning your idea of having his sister provide the heir might work, but not in this situation.

Things that have nothing to do with the King's grandson.

Some articles in today's newspapers talk about the shocking decision.

Last edited:
Approximate English translation of above: He had involvement in professional sports, private activities that do not match the activity of Succession, had no diplomatic experience and these challenges were too large and could not not go so well in the future. "Said Ioan Luca Vlad adviser Royal House private.

Has Margarita diplomatic experience? What was he not given diplomatic experience or a diplomatic education over the last five years? What professional sport excludes you from succession? I only know about the cycling, is it cycling?

The more that is said, the more confusing it gets.
I'd give a lot to know the truth :bang: I really hope we will learn more with time.:eek:

Young Nicholas must be so sad ...

Last edited:
The King's grandson is a very nice young man and he is not like the King of Cambodia.

I never said he was, you obviously did not read my post or the one I was responding too.

Furthermore are you saying the King of Cambodia is not a nice man (he isn't young, that is a fact).

I never said he was, you obviously did not read my post or the one I was responding too.

Furthermore are you saying the King of Cambodia is not a nice man (he isn't young, that is a fact).

The King of Cambodia is very nice but he is very different from Nicholas de Roumanie.

The popularity of Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills was becoming increasingly difficult to be understood by those who wanted to maintain the status quo.

To suggest the Crown Princess and Prince Radu somehow forced the King to remove Nicholas' title and succession rights is ridiculous. It's not like the couple has a bunch of children with rights to the throne.

But that's hardly a surprise, coming from people who have a history of trying to denigrate the Crown Princess and Prince Radu's image.

Wow, I'm shocked!
Yeah, I wouldn't blame M&R for that, we don't know what actually happened. Maybe it's really Nicholas not being happy with an uncertain position. ??

To suggest the Crown Princess and Prince Radu somehow forced the King to remove Nicholas' title and succession rights is ridiculous. It's not like the couple has a bunch of children with rights to the throne.

But that's hardly a surprise, coming from people who have a history of trying to denigrate the Crown Princess and Prince Radu's image.

Not only the fact that they have no children but it would make no sense considering that he brought GOOD press to the family. I seriously doubt he was planning a coup against his aunt, there would be no sense in that, and one would think Radu would use Nicholas popularity to his advantage. It isn't like Radu would ever be king.

Nobody could force the King to take such a decision but this not mean the King did not take the decision speaking with his advisers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom