Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Karina is not going to be "groomed" as the second in line. She does not live in Romania.

It did seem like a long shot. I just wonder where they go once Nicolae is removed. It seems like the King is actively shutting the family down as it were.

As to whether Nicolae is gay or not, I think we'd be naive if we assumed every member of European royalty today is straight! I can't see that this would be a problem at all unless he was planning to come out and settle down with a partner. In which case, good on him; far better to be happy with nothing than to be unhappy waiting on something that might never happen. But I doubt it is that and if it is, that's his private life and none of our business IMO. :flowers:

I don't think he is gay, he has had a long-term relationship with woman and I guess there are some other gays in noble or royal circles. He was old enough to decide his future before he became prince.

So there's no future for Romanian Royal Family. After the passing of the Crown Princess and her sisters, there will no Romanian royals left.

If Nicolae isn't up to carrying on the legacy, Margarita has no children, Irena has been in legal trouble which throws her kids out of the running, I do not believe Maria has any children, that leaves Nicolae's sister Elizabeta, which, at this point, would be like starting from scratch. It is over, sad to say.

Irina's two children have not had contact with their maternal grandfather in many years

The use of the word 'ideals' is what concerns me. It makes it sound as if there's been some major disagreement concerning Nicolae's private life.

It may be a generational ideological thing as he has implied that it ends after his daughters thus eliminated all of his grandchildren. Nicholas is only mentioned because he was the only one promoted to prince. This may not be the end, as other royal families reigning and non-reigning have taken someone out of succession over an ideals issues such as choice of spouse/divorce to later put them back in. It may be about who he is dating or a difference in how the role is defined. Nicholas has been defining his own role with sports and NGOs and that may not be how Michael thinks he should be fulfilling his duties.

It is possible Margareta does not stand her ground as much with her father, but may sympathize with Nicholas and reinstate him and the others too.

I also find it interesting that Elena was contacted by Michael via a letter. It is already known that he has not spoken to Irina or her children for years. There is a disconnect in this family.

Last edited:
For those of you who know much more about the succession issues in Romania:

If this was caused by something Nicolae did that king thought was totally inappropriate, would it be technically possible for his aunt (crown princess Margareta) to reinstate him into the line for the throne the day she becomes queen? (That is, if she doesn't agree with the kings' decision and he would be willing to take on royal duties again)

Last edited:
This is shocking. As Romanian monarchist I may say this is a huge step back in restauration
I hope King knows what he is doing

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This is shocking. As Romanian monarchist I may say this is a huge step back in restauration
I hope King knows what he is doing

Out of all the exiles, I always felt Romania stood a real chance. Now it seems they've fallen at the final hurdle.

And you mean that he found it out just now? He didn't know it when he came to Romania and settled to his role?

Yes, we should remember that.

It's probably not appropriate to speculate about this here, although given what's been said that would be my guess as well.

In the theory however, not everyone comes out when they're younger. It could be that Nicholas has only recently come out, or that he's done something else to indicate that he does not want to have children (or have biological children in wedlock).

The reaction here seems to be that there is something about Nicholas' lifestyle that Michael disagrees with and that will prevent the continuation of the dynasty - Nicholas having come out seems like an obvious possibility, although not likely the only one.

As to whether Nicolae is gay or not, I think we'd be naive if we assumed every member of European royalty today is straight! I can't see that this would be a problem at all unless he was planning to come out and settle down with a partner. In which case, good on him; far better to be happy with nothing than to be unhappy waiting on something that might never happen. But I doubt it is that and if it is, that's his private life and none of our business IMO. :flowers:

No doubt there have been gay nobles and probably even a few reigning monarchs, but that wouldn't fly today. There would be no arranged marriage. The press is relentless and privacy is out the window, so it would be a difficult secret to keep. For a non-reigning family with few heirs this is a major problem.

It is possible Margareta does not stand her ground as much with her father, but may sympathize with Nicholas and reinstate him and the others too.

Here's hoping that's what happens.

As for Nicolae's ideals, it seems as if the prince had very good ideals and worked very hard for good causes. The family does not reign and has no real constitutional role, so Nicolae had to pretty much make one for himself. It seemed like he was doing a good job at being relevant. Doing charitable work and meeting the people seems to be a pretty good head start for someone who might be king.

As for Nicolae's ideals, it seems as if the prince had very good ideals and worked very hard for good causes. The family does not reign and has no real constitutional role, so Nicolae had to pretty much make one for himself. It seemed like he was doing a good job at being relevant. Doing charitable work and meeting the people seems to be a pretty good head start for someone who might be king.

Yes, I think too that Nicholas made a good job, especially with children, young people and education.

According to the Royal House’s representatives, King Michael made his decision thinking about the future, after observing his grandson’s behavior in public and in private, and that Prince Nicolae agreed to this decision. This was not a punishment for something Nicolae may have done, according to Ioan Luca Vlad, an advisor of the Royal House, quoted by Mediafax.
“When you are in public, you must have a certain attitude, you must comply with certain norms. If you do this, but you are not happy with it, this won’t last long, so you must make a preventive step,” Ioan Luca Vlad explained. He added that the Royal Family has no trash or scandal to hide that may have led to this decision and that it was made to prevent a potential scandal in the future.
Romania’s King Michael withdraws his grandson’s royalty status

So [presumably] the ex-prince is plain old Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills, as of today ?

“When you are in public, you must have a certain attitude, you must comply with certain norms. If you do this, but you are not happy with it, this won’t last long, so you must make a preventive step,” Ioan Luca Vlad explained. He added that the Royal Family has no trash or scandal to hide that may have led to this decision and that it was made to prevent a potential scandal in the future.

That's an interesting choice of words.

Is this a statement released in English or one that has been translated?

That's an interesting choice of words.

Is this a statement released in English or one that has been translated?

Didn't you open my link? It is in english, obviously the one who keeps the website has translated it from what mr Ioan Luca Vlad said to Mediafax. Or he has spoken to them in english, who knows.

Last edited:
a lot of speculations. but what is the real reason?
For me this decision is the end of this dinasty. maybe the King makes room for a new one?

This is a PR disaster if Nicholas has indeed wish for this. I think there is no doubt that there has been a falling out though otherwise Nicholas could have voluntarily renounced his rights rather than be stripped of them.

a lot of speculations. but what is the real reason?
For me this decision is the end of this dinasty. maybe the King makes room for a new one?

Yes, but that would be almost (i think) unprecedented in history, if there's one thing that all royals have in common it's that they want their own dynasty to be *the one*

According to journalist Robert Turcescu, Nicholas is in Amsterdam.
https://twitter.com/turcescu/status/630814201305542656

Turcescu has also a Facebook, where he speaks about Nicholas. Maybe someone who understands romanian, could look if there is something interesting.
https://www.facebook.com/turcescu?fref=nf

A long interview of advisor Ioan Luca Vlad. He says that Nicholas can engage himself in charitable activities or in business, can continue activities in Kenya - worked for Kenyan navy, made ​​survival courses for children - so he has very many opportunities. He says that Nicholas has got offers to work at a private sector but he hasn't started working in anywhere yet. Vlad can not tell. When talking about Nicholas's private life, these are decisions that he takes. Vlad gives an example, although he does not know the name of the company: the company that worked in Kenya and organized sports tours for these disadvantaged children. So the projects in Kenya can return. And in any case it is not about Romanian companies but international companies. Vlad thinks that Nicholas will work in Europe or Kenya in the future. He said also that when Margarita comes the Head of the Royal House, she can change the line of succession.
Ioan Luca Vlad, consilier al Casei Regale_ Principele Nicolae a fost chiar usurat de decizia Regelui Mihai _ Sentimentul de antreprenoriat e foarte greu de dezvoltat in cadrul Casei Regale - Esential - HotNews.ro
Translation

Last edited:
Robert Turcescu*(born May 3, 1975) is a Romanian journalist, TV presenter, best known for confessing in 2014 to being un undercover agent of a military secret service in Romania while posing as a freelance journalist for several years
So what he is written probably is only under command

Robert Turcescu*(born May 3, 1975) is a Romanian journalist, TV presenter, best known for confessing in 2014 to being un undercover agent of a military secret service in Romania while posing as a freelance journalist for several years
So what he is written probably is only under command

Ok, thank you for the information. :flowers:

Yes, but that would be almost (i think) unprecedented in history, if there's one thing that all royals have in common it's that they want their own dynasty to be *the one*

I can't imagine everyone agreeing (or will agree) with this decision.

This is a PR disaster if Nicholas has indeed wish for this. I think there is no doubt that there has been a falling out though otherwise Nicholas could have voluntarily renounced his rights rather than be stripped of them.

I agree. And if it was a mutual decision, he could have ended all speculation just by a short press release saying that this was what he also wanted, and that he's happy to let his life take another turn. So unfortunately, there is some serious trouble behind this, one way or another.

I doubt we'll never find out the real reason for this but by taking away his title and his succession rights so publicly, it can only lead to damaging speculation and if there's to be no explanation, I wonder if the King hasn't made a big mistake? Surely he could have conveyed his wishes privately to the Crown Princess who could have dealt with this quietly when it was an issue?

Gosh, all this has happened so quickly. :eek: Nicholas (I guess it's official to call him by his English name now...) seemed like he was doing a good job, and he seemed to be rather passionate in getting children in Romania interested in reading. I can sort of understand why he wouldn't be able to handle the role, as before he became a prince he was a commoner and didn't have any official royal experiences. I can imagine that he had "prince training" at the beginning though.

I agree with those who have suggested that this is most likely due to a falling out. I apologise if this has already been asked, but do we know if Crown Princess Margarita was informed of this (as I read that King Mihai wants the succession line to end at her)?

Maybe Nicolae felt constrained by the duties involved in being the heir to a throne that, lets be real, will probably never be restored, and feels he needs a career. Being king is a career he may never have and perhaps the King felt that Nicolae, having a career out side of Romania, is not appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom