The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Another article giving a different timeline: got pregnant in early May and informed family in July not May/June. So this baby may be due in January or February.

http://www.evz.ro/scandalul-regal-fa...terruptus.html

Old 11-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

It is just a testimonium de auditu: the evidence of news by those who relate, not by what they know themselves, but by what they possibly might have heard from others. Take it with a firm handful of salt...

Old 11-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceallach View Post
Unless the media is going by what Nicoleta's friends said Nicoleta said the royals said it is likely a palace leak to be talking about the royals' reactions and specifically Radu, Margherita and Michael but no Nicholas.
According to the original article, it seems to have been a palace leak.

Hence the references to frequent arguments between Margarita, Radu and Nicholas after the pregnancy was revealed. Apparently Nicholas did think that the child was going to be a boy, and this did not sit well with his uncle, who perhaps is not keen that the royal spotlight be focused on the younger generation. The royal family does possess a not insignificant fortune now.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Honestly, in 2015 is it a crime to father a child out of wedlock such as to have you kicked out of a Royal position ???

You have to understand that it is 2015 only for you and me. The "King" intends to live forever in the 1940s, and expects everyone to do so with lots of modesty and dignity..
Old 11-30-2015, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose that fathering a child out of wedlock was less of a deal in the past then it is now, at least for royal men. Most would have extramarital children in the past.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Majesty

A child out of the wedlock ..? The Romanian royal family is surrounded by gossips and endless cheap dramas.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Courtier

I very loyally stood by Nicolas in the entire episode here (partly bcos i have a huge crush on him and feel so connected). But if this "out-of-wedlock due to fling" thing is true, then it is real silly indiscretion amounting to disgrace on his part.. So sorry to say this.. I still dont want to be judgemental, though..
Old 12-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

All the theories pointing to Radu as the evil genius and depicting Princess Margarita as a sick and powerless lady lead to nothing. Note that the royal family seems united and forming one front: no any Princess, not even Nicholas' mother Princess Elena, no any other family member, not even Nicholas' sister, has commented on these events at al. It is also wise to keep in mind that Radu has no any motive or gain by shoving Nicholas out of the nest. He is "just" the consort to Nicholas' aunt and there is no any offspring for whom Radu possibly had to fight.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I believe the motive has been stated in the press all too clearly: the king and queen are old and probably do not have a lot of years left. The crown princess is supposedly still ill. That means that in a few years Nicholas would have taken over control of the family assets. Prince Radu supposedly does not look forward to that and started a campaign to secure his own position.

I would not be surprised if there will be several lawsuits between family members in a few years that will shed more light on the situation.

Nicholas is hardly the first person with an out of wedlock baby and I doubt he will be the last. This could have been handled in a more pragmatic way instead of ruining whatever chances the Romanian monarchy had. Of course the most pragmatic thing may be for the monarchic ideal to die with king Mihai. IMHO the late king Umberto II of Italy showed a lot of common sense when he was burried with the family seal of the house of Savoy.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

An out of wedlock child is not uncommon in royal circles ,Nicholas is a young man not a monk and I think its all been storm in a teacup that has not reflected well on the Royal House.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Nobility

I don't find having an out-of-wedlock baby to be behavior that is exemplary. The descendants of King Carol II are perhaps very sensitive about that type of behavior.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

Making an out-of-wedlock baby may not be wise (especially when today there are so many ways to avoid it) but well it is not shocking.
What I don't like about this case is that the whole nation is talking about people having had a one-night-stand (so what)and a child, not even born yet, will learn about the lovelife of its parents.
As a child you certainly don want to know that.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
An out of wedlock child is not uncommon in royal circles ,Nicholas is a young man not a monk and I think its all been storm in a teacup that has not reflected well on the Royal House.

I think it is quite uncommon these days! Or are you talking about the 18th century?! Only former King Albert II of the Belgians comes to my mind. The current Sovereign Prince of Monaco is not a "royal" in the strict sense of the term!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I think it is quite uncommon these days! Or are you talking about the 18th century?! Only former King Albert II of the Belgians comes to my mind. The current Sovereign Prince of Monaco is not a "royal" in the strict sense of the term!
Well, there are more like P.Bernhard of the NL and Carlos de Borbon de Parme but if this baby indeed is the cause of K.Mihai's decision, i'd expect that he doesn't really care that this happens in other families, and just doesn't want it happening in his...

however, imo it's probably more complicated than this and as previous posters said, it maybe some time before the backstory surfaces (if it does at all)

For me the point that came up some time ago that Nicolas was involved/friendly with political opponents of the king was actually the most easy to believe...i totally could see that that would be a cause for the king to take drastic actions
Old 12-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Another thing is these non-reigning royals make much more fuss about these things, compared to the reigning ones. The latter have become flexible with marriages, titles, and such accidents. While the non-reigning ones still insist on remaining bluest of the blue, locked up in their own little golden worlds..
Old 12-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
It is a bit more common than one may think, especially within the close relations of the Romanian Royal Family:

King Carol II [father of King Michael] had an illegitimate son with Mirella Marcovici: Mirel Marcovici (b.1923)

Prince Ernst August of Hannover [second cousin once removed of King Michael] had an illegitimate son with Maria Anna Freiin von Humboldt-Dachroeden: Christian von Humboldt-Dachroeden (b.1943)

Prince Andrej of Yugoslavia [first cousin of King Michael] had a then-illegitimate daughter with his eventual second wife Princess Kira zu Leiningen: Lavinia Marie Lane (now Princess of Yugoslavia; b.1961)

Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta [first cousin of King Michael] had an illegitimate son with Nerina Corsini: Pietro Incisa della Rochetta (b.1967)
Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta had an illegitimate daughter with Kyara van Ellinkhuizen: Ginerva di Savoia (b.2006)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

DBack to the (lack of motives) to portray Radu as the genius behind all this: it was no one than Radu whom invested the most energy in positioning and the public awareness of the royal family, including the well-handled introduction of Nicholas. The Romanians are not wealthy. The former King and Queen largely relied on supporters for their upkeep. The education of the princesses seems to have been paid for by some rich monarchists.

What has Radu to gain to oust a second-rank possible heir (Nicholas' mother and aunts all stand before him in the legal inheritance system: also Romania has a inheritance rule based on the Code Napoléon (all children have an equal right). So the not so big private wealth of the King will be fragmented unless he donates it into a trust or foundation. So with all the blames towards Radu, something important is missing: the 'motive' for ousting the future.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Another thing is these non-reigning royals make much more fuss about these things, compared to the reigning ones. The latter have become flexible with marriages, titles, and such accidents. While the non-reigning ones still insist on remaining bluest of the blue, locked up in their own little golden worlds..
That is not true. Look at the Romanians: who married blue blood?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
DBack to the (lack of motives) to portray Radu as the genius behind all this: it was no one than Radu whom invested the most energy in positioning and the public awareness of the royal family, including the well-handled introduction of Nicholas. The Romanians are not wealthy. The former King and Queen largely relied on supporters for their upkeep. The education of the princesses seems to have been paid for by some rich monarchists.

What has Radu to gain to oust a second-rank possible heir (Nicholas' mother and aunts all stand before him in the legal inheritance system: also Romania has a inheritance rule based on the Code Napoléon (all children have an equal right). So the not so big private wealth of the King will be fragmented unless he donates it into a trust or foundation. So with all the blames towards Radu, something important is missing: the 'motive' for ousting the future.
The Romanians *were* not wealthy.

However, they certainly are now.

Since the return of the Royal Family to Romania, they have received back quite a substantial amount of property.

Ce nu se stia pana acum despre regele Mihai I. A ingropat securea razboiului cu statul roman si a ajuns in topul milionarilor ! - Ce nu se stia pana acum despre regele Mihai I. A ingropat securea razboiului cu statul roman si a ajuns in topul miliona
Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

To parafrase the late Duchess of Alba: "Yes, maybe I have a Van Dyck or a Rembrandt but I can not take it under my arm and go to the supermarket". With other words: nice that they have some estates back but do these gain income -and if yes- is this not entirely needed for the upkeep of the estates?

Tags
prince nicolae, royal family of romania