Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royal Family are the Hohenzollerns, they are basically all German with small doses of Russian on Michaels side and through Queen Anne some French and Italian blood. They have no native Roumanian ancestry.

:previous:
In case of Prince Nicholas, you can add English and Scottish ancestry to the mix through his father, the late Robin Medforth-Mills,

You are right about the rest of the Royal Family though: not a drop of actual Romanian blood in their veins. A lot of German blood mixed with drops of Russian, Danish, Italian, French, and some other. The only one who was of Romanian ancestry was carol Lambrino (the eldest son of Carol II of Romania and Zizi Lambrino), but then he wasn't considered a "proper" member of the Romanian Royal Family.

To the defence of the Romanian Royal Family, the Royal House's Statute actually forbids marriages to Romanians.

Last edited:

To the defence of the Romanian Royal Family, the Royal House's Statute actually forbids marriages to Romanians.

Presumably no longer in effect since the "Crown Princess" is married to one and if she had been able to have children I have no doubt they would have been in the line of succession after her.

Why is this?
To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. There were several Royal Families with similar rules, mostly "imported" ones (that is to say, families which didn't originate in a given country and became its royal house as a result of various events).

I never understood the reasoning behind that since marriage to a woman from the country you are reigning over and have no blood ties with should presumably strengthen the monarchy.

Presumably no longer in effect since the "Crown Princess" is married to one and if she had been able to have children I have no doubt they would have been in the line of succession after her.
Indeed, it is most probably no longer in force ever since King Michael established the Royal House of Romania, severing ties with the House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. Presumably, new house laws were written at the same time. And before that, as Head of the House King Michael could amend the statute at any time. Indeed, he has done so on many occasions, such as when naming his daughter the Crown Princess, granting Nicolas the title of a Romanian Prince, etcetera.

King Michael, as generally undisputed Head of the House (Paul-Philippe Hohenzollern notwithstanding), gave his permission for the marriage of Margarita and Radu, which was really all that mattered.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting replies. Although King Michael's side is Hohenzollern, his wife Anne was French and Italian, you say. That is half of the inheritance of Princess Margareta. Somewhere she has some slav descent, I suspect, with her cheekbones and slightly slanty eyes (by slightly slanty I don't mean oriental; I have the same eyes and I am not oriental...it is a feature I can't identify the source of, but it occurs in some Scandinavians as well as in people of the slavic countries. The Vikings had a big part in settling Russia and the Byzantine lands, coming down through Russia. I have been reading some history lately).
It's good they changed the absurd law that the ruler cannot marry a woman of his own country. Sounds like someone in the past wanted to preserve an elite and exclusive class. I have read that the Saxons who ruled parts of Romania long ago were exclusivists. Well I don't know much about it but it's an interesting puzzle.
Are the Hohenzollerns Saxon? I suppose they probably are. I have more reading to do.

Last edited:
Why is this?

When Prince Carol later King Carol I first came to Romania, it was after a long dispute among Romanian noble families for rulling the principality. It was part of the deal why a German prince was elected as a ruler, in order to put an end to all the internal struggle for power. Thus, one of the first rules was to forbid a marriage between the newly elected prince and any Romanian woman. The reason was that the noble families might push forward their daughters and any such marriage would most certainly benefit some families. All the impartiality which was supposed to be attained by bringing a foreign prince to rule would disappear because he would be biased towards his wife's family and they would gain too much power.

The Romanian Royals have Romanian forefathers and the members of the Romanian Royal Family can marry Romanians.

HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania at ‘Childhood at Court’ exhibition | Diana Mandache Historian & Author

HRH Prince Nicolae is not officially engaged and is often accompagnied in his visits lately by his sister, Elisabeta-Karina.

HRH Prince Nicolae shares the same passion for cars with his grandfather, HM the King:

Curtea Veche Publishing » Încununarea unei pasiuni regale de Ziua Monarhiei. Principele Nicolae, despre darul adus Regelui Mihai

HRH Prince Nicolae visited today the College "Costache Negruzzi":

EXCLUSIV! Printul Nicolae, in vizita la Colegiul "Costache Negruzzi" - UPDATE GALERIE FOTO

HRH Prince Nicolae is again single after his relationship with Rebeca Margareta Byatt ended:

Principele Nicolae s-a desp

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Rebecca been out in awhile? I think it has been awhile, correct? And, does she live in London?

HRH Prince Nicolae at Uniter Gala, where he gave the Great Prize:

Familia Regala - Activitati curente

Uniter Gala:

Familia Regala - Activitati curente

HRH Prince Nicolae visited the National College "Ferdinand I "from Bacau after meeting the prefect of the region:

Principele Nicolae de România, în vizit? în municipiul Bac?u | Ziarul de Bacau

Zi plin

Principele Nicolae a vizitat astazi C.N "Ferdinand I" - Mihai Costi

More about the presence of HRH Prince Nicolae at Uniter Gala:

Gala Uniter Ia

HRH Prince Nicolae will return to Craiova on the 31st of May representing HM the King who will be declared Honour Citizen of Craiova:

Ora de Dolj – Ora de Stiri din Dolj – Stiri din Craiova si din Oltenia » ASR Principele Nicolae revine la Craiova, pentru a primi Titlul de Cet

HRH Prince Nicolae was in Craiova to represent HM the King (a new honorary citizen of Craiova):

Regele Mihai a devenit astazi Cetatean de Onoare al Craiovei - Gazeta de Sud - Stiri din Craiova si Oltenia - 31 Mai 2013

Regele Mihai I, Cet

The Prince visited also Calarasi after Craiova.

HRH Prince Nicolae visited also Poiana Mare:

His Royal Highness ~ Revista A

Things have been quiet lately for the prince!

HRH Prince Nicolae volunteer for a week at Tasuleasa Social campus:

http://www.bistriteanul.ro/video--f...lor-de-la-tasuleasa-social-1373017977516.html

http://stiri.tvr.ro/principele-nico...mpusul-din-pasul-tihuta_32454_video.html#view

FOTO Principele Nicolae al României a l

The Prince is very close to the people and now speaks a quite good Romanian.

Even if he ended his week of volunteer at Tasuleasa Social, HRH Prince Nicolae is ready to return in this natural "paradise":

Principele Nicolae a promis c

HRH Prince Nicolae volunteer for a week at Tasuleasa Social campus:

FOTO Principele Nicolae al României a l

Thanks for sharing! This is a great read (after translation).

It was great to see HRH in "street clothes" or "everyday clothes" for once. We see him in suits all the time -change is nice every once in awhile and it is nice to see his more relaxed side during volunteer work.

Prince Nicolae has been hiking in Transylvania recently. He has been hiking for a week in the district of Bistrita-Năsăud with a group young people from the association "Social Tăşuleasa", whose aim is to make more young people aware of the environment. Here is an article with photos from Noblesse & Royautes:

Google Translate

The chief editor of "Adevarul" newspaper says the only solution for the restoration of Monarchy is a campaign to promote Prince Nicholas:

Cum poate monarhia s

Prince Nicolae speaks Romanian and quite well.

Prince Nicolae speaks Romanian and quite well.

".....is currently learning to speak Romanian" is not the same as "speaks Romanian and quite well".
In 2012, he stated he would move in Romania. We don't know that even happened yet. He was not brought up to be a Romanian and had very few ties to Romania until last year.

Please carefully verify your sources of information before posting on a public board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Nicholas_of_Romania_%28b._1985%29

".....is currently learning to speak Romanian" is not the same as "speaks Romanian and quite well".
In 2012, he stated he would move in Romania. We don't know that even happened yet. He was not brought up to be a Romanian and had very few ties to Romania until last year.

Please carefully verify your sources of information before posting on a public board.

Prince Nicholas of Romania (b. 1985) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps it would be better not to try and contradict others about the veracity of their information by posting a link to a *Wikipedia* article.

If one cared to do a simple Google search, one would find that Prince Nicholas has indeed been living in Romania since at least the beginning of 2013. During this time, he has frequently mixed with the Romanian public in both official and unofficial capacities. The prince has answered questions posted to him by the press and made speeches at certain occasions.

There are so many sources to prove his residency and his ability to communicate in the language that there is not enough time to post them all. ;)

I beg to differ. You say he can communicate in the language, however:
1. he could not speak Romanian in 2012, as per his interview.
2. there's no source to support your claim. I supported mine with an official, updated Wikipedia page. Do you have any credible source to support yours?
3. you missed the whole point of the language-speaking discussion, which was that he had not been brought up to be a Romanian, but is rather taking an opportunity to make himself a name in Romania at the present.

1. That was a year ago.

Buzau, Printul Nicolae la colegiul B.P. Hasdeu - YouTube (Feb 2013)

VIZITA ALTE

PRINTUL NICOLAE FASCINAT DE OLT 0904 - YouTube

Vizita princiara la Timisoara - YouTube

Primul discurs în limba român

Eveniment 72 - Principele Nicolae, în vizit (Jul 2013)

Things change.

2. No sources, eh? See above videos. Maybe it would be better to search for Romanian language sources instead of relying solely on those available in English.

PS - Referring to Wikipedia as a "credible source" might be a teeny tiny bit of a stretch.

3. On the contrary, the gist of the comments about the supposed inability of Prince Nicholas to speak any Romanian was not lost on me. I just believe the derogatory comments were ill-informed, pointless and petty. The vast majority of Romanians know that the prince is the grandson and eventual heir of King Michael so there is obviously no need for Nicholas to "make a name for himself."

Oh, yeah, he can smile for the camera, shake hands, nod, but speak Romanian? As far as I could tell, mostly English-sounding words. In the first clip, the students address him in English. Who knows, maybe with him at the reign, Romania's official language could be English and solve the controversy. ;)

HRH Prince Nicolae did not care enough to learn the language until 27, his parents did not bother to hire him a tutor to teach him the language of his country, of a country he was supposed to rule and he wants to claim the throne? To me, this clearly spells opportunism. That is in addition to the fact that he has not even lived in the country until last year, although he could have done so since he was 4.

Very disappointing for Romanians, who are neither stupid, nor ignorant and who may well remember that Queen Maria, Ferdinand's wife learned Romanian before even entering the kingdom of Romania, as a young bride (she was English born and bred).

Whatever the people of Romania may decide, but I believe they do deserve better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom