The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

All in all it was a wise decision by King Michael. Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills, later Mr Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills, later Prince Nicolae of Romania, now again Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills in essence is a Swiss-born man from a British father who suddenly saw himself incorporated in a senior role in the Romanian royal family. No one then thinks about the man himself. What does he think about all this? The privilèges (are there?) versus the consequences (not having a private life). The own ambitions versus the royal expectations. The own worldview versus the world(view) of the former Romanian monarchy.

As I understood it all, Nicholas has come to the point for himself that he sees no future for him as Heir to the Romanian royal dynasty. Then it is the best and the wisest decision to end it, now it is still not so settled deeply. Here and there I see posters assuming that the monarchy ends etc. but that is not true. The original line of succession, before King Michael changed it by himself, still is as established by the last Constitution before the Communist seizure of the country. And that is:

1. Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern (1952), son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Princess Margarita von Leiningen

2. Alexander Prinz von Hohenzollern (1987), son of Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Alexandra Schenk, Gräfin von Stauffenberg

3. Albrecht Johannes Prinz von Hohenzollern (1954), son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Princess Margarita von Leiningen

4. Ferdinand Maria Prinz von Hohenzollern (1960), son of Friedrich Wilhelm Fürst von Hohenzollern and of Princess Margarita von Leiningen

5. Aloïs Prinz von Hohenzollern (1999), son of Ferdinand Maria Prinz von Hohenzollern and of Ilona Gräfin Kálnoky von Kőröspatak

6. Fidelis Prinz von Hohenzollern (2001), son of Ferdinand Maria Prinz von Hohenzollern and of Ilona Gräfin Kálnoky von Kőröspatak

Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
[... ] But why, instead, it was King Michael who stripped him of his title and succession rights? And why so suddenly? Why did they choose to act this way instead of a clearer, easier and more understandable way?
Because King Michael is the only authority to do so, as head of the Royal House.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Because King Michael is the only authority to do so, as head of the Royal House.

Under the old monarchical constitution, the King could have no more made his grandson a prince than he could have stripped Nicholas of the title five years later.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Faced with the cryptic statement, Romanians speculated that a jealous relative had sought to edge Nicholas out of the succession.
Romania's a republic, but royal upset makes headline news

In case someone is interested, here you can read part of the book "The Road Home. Filip-Lucian Iorga In dialogue with Prince Nicholas of Romania"
The Road Home. Filip-Lucian Iorga In dialogue with Prince Nicholas of Romania - Prince of Romania Nicholas - Google-kirjat
Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Royal Highness

Radio Monaco also mentions the rumours of a fall-out with Radu Duda:

Place Royale : surprise en Roumanie, le Roi Michel déshérite son petit-fils
Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

A agree with Duc, it is a wise Decusion of King Michael. Hard to do it when you are more than 90 years old.
He is a really great Royal .
Old 08-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
The more I think about this story and the more I am puzzled.
But why, instead, it was King Michael who stripped him of his title and succession rights? And why so suddenly? Why did they choose to act this way instead of a clearer, easier and more understandable way?
The 94 year old King is apparently acting under the advice of a "Crown Council" that no one had heard about until this took place.

FOTO Ziua excluderii Principelui Nicolae. Cine au fost sfatuitorii Regelui Mihai si ce cauta acolo Mihnea Constantinescu, fost consilier pe langa patru premieri - Esential - HotNews.ro
Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
The 94 year old King is apparently acting under the advice of a "Crown Council" that no one had heard about until this took place.

FOTO Ziua excluderii Principelui Nicolae. Cine au fost sfatuitorii Regelui Mihai si ce cauta acolo Mihnea Constantinescu, fost consilier pe langa patru premieri - Esential - HotNews.ro
The translation tells me that Nicholas was abroad at a planned trip when the decision was made.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Now it is interesting what will happen with the Royal House of Romania.

The whole move by King Michael shows how tricky it is to change rules overnight. The King unilaterally changed the line of succession and made his daughters successors to the throne of Romania.

Then he removed a daughter from her royal birthright because she did something with cockfights, an absurd reason for removing someone's birthright - and that of her children. Now a son from his second eldest daughter, the Number Three in his renewed line of succession basically says: "Hmmm, no..., this is nothing for me" and it leaves King Michael as an amateur making ill-thought decisions.

As long as the monarchy was just theory, the King should simply have respected the Constitution he solemnly pledged to maintain and to protect with his life and leave the succession as it is. As I understood it correctly, Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills was made HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania but his sister became no Princess. She remained Elizabeth de Roumanie Medforth-Mills and stayed out of the public eye. What now? Making Karina a Princess? Or making her cousin Elizabeth de Roumanie Biarneix a Princess now?

I think Princess Margarita will re-instate the original line of succession (Hohenzollern). Her father can not do this without painfully losing his face. But what disappointed me most: even if we accept that the King has the right to change the rules, even unilaterally, the idea that Princess Margarita now can "choose a Heir" is so against the whole principle. If a head of a royal dynasty can decide about the claim on a throne purely based on his/her own will, this is an absolutist system and has nothing anymore to do with a proper, constitutional and functioning monarchy (in exile).
Old 08-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Now a son from his second eldest daughter, the Number Three in his renewed line of succession basically says: "Hmmm, no..., this is nothing for me" and it leaves King Michael as an amateur making ill-thought decisions.
If you read any of the informations posted about this development, you will learn that Nicholas had nothing to do with the loss of his title and style.

The King, with the aid of a Royal Council and in the presence of his eldest daughter and son-in-law who were visiting him in Switzerland, made the decision to remove the popular Nicholas from the line of succession.

Nicholas was travelling and was neither in Switzerland or Romania at the time.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Commoner

Whatever the truth (and I doubt we'll ever find out what really occurred here), in recent years the Romanian people seemed to be warming to the idea of constitutional monarchy and to the proposed incumbents. Now the King has shattered that with one signature. And frankly, I think it's tainted his legacy.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

On another royal forum the excellent contributor Guy Stair Stainty has worded it excellently:

So this sorry episode descends further into farce; having drawn up a wholly imaginary "line of succession" "Crown" Princess Margarita is to be able to select an heir to the throne! As if the Romanian crown was some bauble to be tossed around like a tennis ball at the will of family members.

Whatever is the point of a monarchy that has such disregard to the law, for the people it is supposed to serve and for the future? I am criticised for having the temerity to argue that the King should be the most stalwart defender of the law, particularly the law that gave him the throne in the first place - but what more do we expect of a sovereign?

If a sovereign does not respect the law, then he or she becomes a despot - the canonist and chaplain to Louis XIV (later Bishop of Clermont) Jean-Baptiste Massillon (1663-1742) told his royal master “it is not the sovereign, it is the law Sire, that reigns over peoples. You are only its minister and the first depository of it.”
Old 08-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalotta View Post
Whatever the truth (and I doubt we'll ever find out what really occurred here), in recent years the Romanian people seemed to be warming to the idea of constitutional monarchy and to the proposed incumbents. Now the King has shattered that with one signature. And frankly, I think it's tainted his legacy.
I confess to having similar thoughts on and off since we heard this news - it worries me that the decision was made too quickly and needn't have been at all.

By all accounts, Nicolae's interests - personally and outside Romania - did not seem to affect the way people thought about him, there was no imminent restoration of the monarchy that would require his having to give up such interests and spend more time doing royal-related duties. I can't see why he could not have carried on as he was for a few more years and step things up when Michael died - or indeed until Margarita got older and needed more help.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If you read any of the informations posted about this development, you will learn that Nicholas had nothing to do with the loss of his title and style.

The King, with the aide of a Royal Council and in the presence of his eldest daughter and son-in-law who were visiting him in Switzerland, made the decision to remove the popular Nicholas from the line of succession.

Nicholas was travelling and was neither in Switzerland or Romania at the time.
It is very well possible that Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills has written a formal letter to his grandfather, respectfully telling him all his considerations and conclusions. Maybe he already did it months ago. His grandfather keeping him floating, hoping that he would re-find enthusiasm. Maybe finally the King realized that his grandson was serious. Then the King requested his Heir and her spouse and a Council discussing the matter and finally made the decision.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is very well possible that Mr Nicholas Medforth-Mills has written a very formal letter to his grandfather, respectfully telling him all his considerations and conclusions. Maybe he already did it months ago. His grandfather keeping him floating, hoping that he would re-find enthusiasm. Maybe finally the King realized that his grandson was serious. Then the King requested his Heir and her spouse and a Council discussing the matter and finally made the decision.
An attorney for the Royal Family, who is also a member of this Council, confirmed yesterday that Nicholas did not request this.

You can also read that same information in the statement that has been posted on the website of the Royal House in the name of Nicholas.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Nicholas, Romanian royal with the common touch, cut from succession
Rumours of intrigue circulate after King Michael removes popular grandson from line to the throne, saying nation needs someone ‘dignified and moral’
Prince Nicholas of Romania had seemed an ideal heir to a monarchy fighting to carve out a niche in a modern republic. Charming and handsome, he was a committed environmentalist, enthusiastic sportsman and keen supporter of children’s charities. He had even moved out of the palace because he was fed up that pizza firms wouldn’t deliver to him there.
Some Romanians speculated that a jealous relative had sought to edge Nicholas out of the succession, the Associated Press reported, but the change in the line of succession – which could be reversed by King Michael’s heir – seems only to have made him more popular.
Prince Nicholas, Romanian royal with the common touch, cut from succession _ World news _ The Guardian
Old 08-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Press Communiqué from Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills:

August 11, 2015
The Press Office of His Majesty King Michael I is authorized to transmit the following statement:

On Sunday, August 1, 2015, His Majesty King Mihai I, my grandfather, decided to withdraw my title of Prince of Romania and my place in the line of succession to the Crown of Romania. This decision comes from a period in which we reflected on the future of the country and our House, and the role that I could play in this.

The important position and presence in the line of succession to the Crown of Romania imposed a way of life that leads me finding it difficult to accept. Therefore, with much heartache, I consider that the decision made by His Majesty The King is welcome to me. In the future I will seek to serve my ideals and principles in other wise.

I would like to thank all those who, in the years when I was in the middle of the Romanians, gave me confidence, support and their hope, and who offered their help for initiatives dedicated to the advancement of Romania. In my new circumstances, I will seek to dedicate myself further into ecological activities, youth and charities, which I learned so much while I was in Romania.

I would also like to thank the central and local authorities for the openness with which they have given to support joint projects, and especially my family for the love and understanding that surrounded me here.

I hope that God will protect the future of the Romanian nation and the Crown.

Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Michael Mills
Old 08-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
An attorney for the Royal Family, who is also a member of this Council, confirmed yesterday that Nicholas did not request this.

You can also read that same information in the statement that has been posted on the website of the Royal House in the name of Nicholas.
Funny, in that very same statement I can see he requested it.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Funny, in that very same statement I can see he requested it.
Thank you for translating it--I do not speak Romanian and thus had to rely on an online translator.

It does make clear that this was the decision of the King and it does not explicitly state that Nicholas requested it--only that he accepts the will of his grandfather (presuming his grandfather actually would have made this move were not certain forces influencing him).
Old 08-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Thanks for this, I used google translation in Italian and this website has a few interesting articles on the subject - including this one of the difficulties for the prince to order a pizza while living at Palace Elisabeta as the pizza delivery guys would not believe him, restrictions on his life and another article mentioning "trade activities" that he would be now free to pursue...
https://translate.googleusercontent....lhPf9dMn_ZzifA

Tags
prince nicolae, royal family of romania