Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This came up before when they listed one of the reasons was his involvement in professional sports and I questioned it at the time. So this now has two sources. He was on a bike in the photo op six days before the decision so maybe that was the last straw. If this is true then they are out of touch.

Well I'm sure Zara Phillips, Princess Anne, Prince Albert II, Princess Charlene, King Harald of Norway and all the other royals who have taken part in sports would have something to say about doing so making you unsuitable to be part of a Royal House.

In my own opinion Nicholas was a breath of fresh air, he didn't cling to the past but seemed more interested in using the family's position for good rather than in a pursuit of becoming a reigning house again. I suspect that this is what King Michael, his eldest daughter and son in law didn't like and made them think Nicholas was 'unsuitable'. Its a shame really as actually Nicholas' approach would probably have given a longer future to the royal house.

Last edited:
Well I'm sure Zara Phillips, Princess Anne, Prince Albert II, Princess Charlene, King Harald of Norway and all the other royals who have taken part in sports would have something to say about doing so making you unsuitable to be part of a Royal House.

The sport thing came up with two sources. I got the interpretation that it was the kind of sport and that he was sweaty and unshaven. Equestrian, sailing, racing, polo, etc those are traditional royal sports. But Mike Tindall plays rugby, Charlene was a swimmer, Albert II did bobsledding, Inaki handball, Prince Khalid Saudi Arabia football, Zeina Jordan table tennis, Zaid Mirza (Jordan) martial arts, Maitha Dubai karate, Alexandra Hanover figure skating, etc. I know the Cambridges, Albert II and many members of the Belgian and Luxembourg royal families have attended the Tour de France. I am not sure if any have been cyclists but they have also taken part in cycling charity events like the Crown Prince of Thailand below. It is not unusual for them to be pictured on bikes either. I am pretty sure I can find them sweaty and unshaven too, Harry for sure.

Royals on Bikes

Crown Prince leads "Bike for Mom" cycling event | Bangkok Post: news

https://www.eta.co.uk/2011/08/01/prince-charles-swaps-aston-martin-for-electric-bicycle/

Prince Harry accompanied by his Deputy Communications Secretary Nick... News Photo | Getty Images

Crown Prince Haakon And Crown Princess Mette-Marit Of Norway Visit... News Photo | Getty Images

Swedish royal family bike trip in the island of Öland | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

Princess Estelle of Sweden cycles around the gardens at Haga Palace in new photos - hellomagazine.com

Princess Mary pushes nanny around Copenhagen on a bike

Dutch royals release their annual summer portrait - hellomagazine.com

Last edited:
He was the only one who was not "chasing ghosts" but bringing hope to people and he represented the only way for this Family to restore Monarchy. He had too many projects this year and it is obvious he really enjoyed what he was doing. He was unfortunately stopped to continue his wonderful mission.

That is not true. Nicholas Medforth Mills will continue with his illiteracy project. That was not connected by his position as a member of the Royal House of Romania. The company he works for, Curtea Veche, was the organisator and also the main sponsor of the "Tour de Romania". See picture. Even the bikes were sponsored by Curtea Veche (a publishing company). See picture. So the -then- Prince associated himself, the Royal House of Romania (see the use of the crowned monogram) firmly with this project from a commercial company he himself works for. As Nicholas works for the company which is the organisator and main sponsor, we may assume he will continue.

Romania is -to European standards- a land with corrruption and nepotism. I understood people had to pay up to 1.300 Euro's and then they could ride on their bike together with "Principele Nicolae", with Alex Ciocan (a former Romanian bicycle champion) and others. Sponsors included Ford, Carrefour, Ibis Hotels, Garmin Navigation, Isostar, etc. Hopefully all the raised money and the contributions from the sponsors were all administered acccording transparant protocols and did (or do) not disappear in deep pockets to the left or to the right. Maybe the too close connection with commercy was a thorn in the flesh for King Michael and Princess Margareta? Maybe they warned Nicholas not to become too much a puppet on a string dancing for businesses and companies? We don't know. This is Romania. Not to be compared with Germany or Norway or something...

Last edited:
That is not true. Nicholas Medforth Mills will continue with his illiteracy project. That was not connected by his position as a member of the Royal House of Romania. The company he works for, Curtea Veche, was the organisator and also the main sponsor of the "Tour de Romania". See picture. Even the bikes were sponsored by Curtea Veche (a publishing company). See picture. So the -then- Prince associated himself, the Royal House of Romania (see the use of the crowned monogram) firmly with this project from a commercial company he himself works for. As as Nicholas works for the company which is the organisator and main sponsor, we may assume he will continue.

Romania is -to European standards- a land with corrruption and nepotism. I understood people had to pay up to 1.300 Euro's and then they could ride on their bike together with "Principele Nicolae", with Alex Ciocan (a former Romanian bicycle champion) and others. Sponsors included Ford, Carrefour, Ibis Hotels, Garmin Navigation, Isostar, etc. Hopefully all the raised money and the contributions from the sponsors were all administered acccording transparant protocols and did (or do) not disappear in deep pockets to the left or to the right. Maybe the too close connection with commercy was a thorn in the flesh for King Michael and Princess Margareta? Maybe they warned Nicholas not to become too much a puppet on a string dancing for businesses and companies? We don't know. This is Romania. Not to be compared with Germany or Norway or something...

Maybe Nicholas' work at the Curtea Veche Publishing was connected with the Royal Family, the Royal Family has been close to Curtea Veche Publishing already before Nicholas became the Prince of Romania. According to Nicholas' LinkedIn, he started at the Curtea Veche Publishing as late as in 2013. Curtea Veche has published a lot of prince Radu's books, these are at the catalogue now, the first of them is from 2008 with crown princess Margarita:
Principele Radu al României - Autori

Curtea Veche has also published at least two books written by Sandra Gătejeanu-Gheorghe, the protocol director of the Romanian Royal House: the anniversary book published of crown princess Margarita last year, 25 years 1990-2015
Rezultatele căutării pentru: 'Marturia unui sfert de veac regal'
And the book "Royal etiquette"
Eticheta regală

Nicholas at the page of Asociaţia Curtea Veche:
Echipa
Translation

Crown princess Margarita and prince Radu happily promoted chocolate named after them and delivered chocolate to the press and people at the launch of the chocolate at the Elisabeta Palace.
Ciocolata regală, lansare la Palatul Elisabeta | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

It remains a mystery. It is waiting for an interview with Nicholas, Princess Margareta or the King, to hear what happened exactly. I can imagine that Stéphane Ben (writing for Le Figaro) would like "to do" Romania. There is a certain cultural link between France and Romania and the language has much in common with French and Italian. Such an interview would shed more light on the reasons for the sudden changes in the House of Romania.

It remains a mystery. It is waiting for an interview with Nicholas, Princess Margareta or the King, to hear what happened exactly. I can imagine that Stéphane Ben (writing for Le Figaro) would like "to do" Romania. There is a certain cultural link between France and Romania and the language has much in common with French and Italian. Such an interview would shed more light on the reasons for the sudden changes in the House of Romania.

Excuse me Duc & Pair ma after so much noise you are just stating the obvious.Of course it is a mistery, we do not know what happened and can only speculate.
An interview would serve only if they wish to disclose what has actually happened and if not, it will just be one more interview. Amen. ;)

I don't think any of them will ever Spill the beans.... at least now.... I hope later we will know the Truth !

Nicholas updated to his LinkedIn this text yesterday/today

I am currently looking for a new position within project management, preferably working with teams. I have an interest in youth development which led me to work closely with the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award, Romania where I held several roles.
I am a goal driven person that likes to be challenged while working within a team that creates solutions and solid results. While working for The Curtea Veche Association I strived to find the next step to carry the association forward in a innovative and competitive manner which resulted in the association being nationally recognised for its unique approach to its stakeholders and beneficiaries.
As a formal representative of the Royal House of Romania, I have developed strong interdisciplinary skills. This includes the ability to simultaneously balance a number of highly demanding tasks, strong leadership and communication skills as well as the ability to perform under tight time constraints.
In 2014 I co-founded The Curtea Veche Association, where I had to combine management and organisational skills between several positions. I coordinated and managed the association and its media coverage through print, online as well as first hand contact and discussions with sponsors and partners. After the first year, the team and I won the award for “The best Marketing/PR/CSR Campaign”, which was the result of hard work using promotional channels such as; print and online materials like blogs, Facebook, websites and extended social media. This was a project that initially started by the Curtea Veche Publishing house and one that I took over once I began as project manager before the association was founded.

Well, the dude has to move on. He has to earn his bread. Like we all have to do.

After reading the (former) Prince's goal for Romanian children how could anyone think that he wouldn't be a wonderful representative for both Romania and the Royal Family? This is what royalty does today. They don't lead troops into battle or marry off their children to form alliances, they work for the betterment of their people. Even dethroned nobility who still have the means to do so do good works. The King or Radu or Martguerita made a huge mistake.

After reading the (former) Prince's goal for Romanian children how could anyone think that he wouldn't be a wonderful representative for both Romania and the Royal Family? This is what royalty does today. They don't lead troops into battle or marry off their children to form alliances, they work for the betterment of their people. Even dethroned nobility who still have the means to do so do good works. The King or Radu or Martguerita made a huge mistake.

Or it was Nicholas' own wish. Future will tell what happened. It is waiting for an interview with the guy, or his grandfather.

The family is unlikely to publicly discuss this issue.

Nicholas does not seem to have foreseen this change, or else he would have already lined up another occupational position.

Hope he will return to Romania as he definitely was planning his future there--really enjoyed reading his memoirs, "The Road Home."

Margarita is 66 years old and it has been speculated during the last years that she has been/is seriously ill. Maybe she and Radu realized that the monarchy will not be restored and Margarita will not become Queen of Romania in their lifetime. But they saw the growing popularity of Nicholas and understood that he could become the King some day, perhaps he could get the monarchy restored. Nicholas had his own way of doing things and many people in Romania saw him as the hope for the Romanian people. Maybe Margarita and Radu didn't want Nicholas to become King. If Margarita wouldn't become Queen, Nicholas shouldn't become King either. People are human. Nicholas isn't their child. Everything is possible.

Last edited:
Margarita is 66 years old and it has been speculated during the last years that she has been/is seriously ill. Maybe she and Radu realized that the monarchy will not be restored and Margarita will not become Queen of Romania in their lifetime. But they saw the growing popularity of Nicholas and understood that he could become the King some day, perhaps he could get the monarchy restored. Nicholas had his own way of doing things and many people in Romania saw him as the hope for the Romanian people. Maybe Margarita and Radu didn't want Nicholas to become King. If Margarita wouldn't become Queen, Nicholas shouldn't become King either. People are human. Nicholas isn't their child. Everything is possible.

Your assessment is far-sought but: "everything is possible". You have however overlooked that Princess Margareta is not in charge, that is her father. That also Nicholas was not the Heir, that is his mother Princess Elena. That after these two there still are Karina Medforth-Mills and Elisabeth Biarneix. So when it was the -unlikely- aim of Princess Margarita: "Après moi le déluge" then this is the clumsiest way ever and very much contradicting with the hard work especially Radu (!) has done to drag the former Romanian House out of obscurity...

The family is unlikely to publicly discuss this issue.

Nicholas does not seem to have foreseen this change, or else he would have already lined up another occupational position.

Hope he will return to Romania as he definitely was planning his future there--really enjoyed reading his memoirs, "The Road Home."

Or this change was intended and that is why, after initial shock and disbelief by the King and his aunt, he finally was "released" from his royal chains and free to pursue what he wants: an own independent career.

Who knows? His memoirs will only be interesting when it will appear soon. In ten years time no one knows who Nicholas Medforth-Mills was.

If this is true then the Margareta worked very selfish. This first of all should be happy about how popular Nicolae and of all major activities took apart . Because like this so Nicolae worked on the future of the monarchy in Romania. Anyway fact is that now Nikolae is Nikolae Medforth-Mills is a private citizen following a different own way and I wish him good luck.:)

duc et pair's persistent argument that it was all done only due to nicolas' reluctance is simply unconvincing.
if at all it is true, it only shows the sheer stupidity of the king and the house in handling all this.
come on, if a person slogs a lot for u, and then one day asks to be relieved..all u hav to do is announce d same to public and cap it up with a few words of praise.
but instead this dinosaur of a king humiliatingly stripped him of everything possible, deemed him immodest undignified etc etc n had an equally ancient lawyer dabble much more confusing contradicting statements..
finally as damage control they got a statement from nicolas but even that is equally ambigous and doubtful..
i am writing dis because since d past few days i hav seen how some people (not even some, just 1 or 2)are firmly persisting in that possibility (that all dis was nicolas wish), but it is simply not convincing.
so i just put forth my opinion

[...]
come on, if a person slogs a lot for u, and then one day asks to be relieved..all u hav to do is announce d same to public and cap it up with a few words of praise.
[...]

Replace yourself in King Michael's position. You are a former King of a defunct monarchy, you are the head of the Royal House, your House has a semi-formal status in Romania. You have no male heirs. You have no heirs at all according the same Constitution and House Laws on which your whole existence as King is based.

No problem: you changed it all unilaterally, to your personal wishes. Your daughters and their offspring became successors. Eh... not the offspring of the second marriage of one of your daughters. Oops... not your third daughter and all her offspring. Scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, that was a whole grooup of successors wiped away.

Phew... luckily there still is a promising young man. Yes, he was born and raised in Switzerland and the United Kingdom but let us give it a try. Slowly you and your eldest daughter introduce that young man into the Royal House, to the monarchists, to the Romanians.

It seems to work. That young man gets a wider awareness and a more public profile. Then the young man tells he has always had doubts, but he wants to play open cards. He wants to be honest. He tells you -his grandfather the former King - and his aunt that he does not have the profound belief in "Project Romania", that he does not have the zest to carry the monarchist banner, that he prefers to pursue an own career and a private life rather than being the torchbearer for the royalist case.

Okay...

How do you communicate to the monarchists, the supporters, the Romanians, that the only credible person who could continue the House of Romania has said: "Adios mi amigos! Good luck dudes! I am off here." It is not that simple as you say, "just communicate it with a word of praise". It is a fierce and deadly blow in the face of the former King. They had to do it as misty as possible, leaving everyone confused. That is my theory. I think any theory is as good as its gets.

Remember that King Michael, Princess Margareta, Radu and Princess Elena have nothing, nothing, nothing to gain with all this. It goes against everything they worked for. Especually Margareta and Radu whom have worked so hard for Nicholas. The only one who possibly had something to gain was Nicholas: his own freedom, his own privacy, his own life, his own destiny.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Would it have been possible in the case of a restoration before all this where the Romanian people skipped Margareta and went straight to Nicolae when King Michael would pass away?

It seems to work. That young man gets a wider awareness and a more public profile. Then the young man tells he has always had doubts, but he wants to play open cards. He wants to be honest. He tells you -his grandfather the former King - and his aunt that he does not have the profound belief in "Project Romania", that he does not have the zest to carry the monarchist banner, that he prefers to pursue an own career and a private life rather than being the torchbearer for the royalist case.

Okay...

How do you communicate to the monarchists, the supporters, the Romanians, that the only credible person who could continue the House of Romania has said: "Adios mi amigos! Good luck dudes! I am off here." It is not that simple as you say, "just communicate it with a word of praise". It is a fierce and deadly blow in the face of the former King. They had to do it as misty as possible, leaving everyone confused. That is my theory. I think any theory is as good as its gets.
Ok, this is a possibility, and somehow it works.
But still I wonder, wouldn't it be far more simple and clear if Nicolae openly said "This is too much for me, it is a burden too heavy for me to carry on", renouncing to his title and place in the succession and with the King accepting his decision?

If Nicholas moved out of the Elizabeth Palace a while ago, that indicates to me that he wasn't getting along with whoever else lived in the Elizabeth Palace.

I'm guessing that he was removed from the royal succession by the same person who he didn't get along with at Elizabeth Palace.

Remember that King Michael, Princess Margareta, Radu and Princess Elena have nothing, nothing, nothing to gain with all this. It goes against everything they worked for. Especually Margareta and Radu whom have worked so hard for Nicholas. The only one who possibly had something to gain was Nicholas: his own freedom, his own privacy, his own life, his own destiny.

I must agree with you here. It's not like the Crown Princess has a bunch of children of her own to continue the lineage of the Romanian Royal Family.

Now, I know some people have the idiotic idea that Prince Radu (aka The Husband of Princess Margareta) is some evil dictator inside the Royal Family, who controls his wife and father-in-law and, for some reason, hates poor Nicholas.

And I have seen people here referring to King as an senile dinosaur. It's appalling that people nowadays are not ashamed to show how ignorant they are.

If Nicholas Medforth-Mills is not Prince Nicolae of Romania, the future Head of the Romanian Royal House, I'm sure it's due to his choices, and his choices only. The King, the Crown Princess and Prince Radu have done everything they could in order to promote him as the future of the Romanian Crown. To bad the young man doesn't want such future.

I had high hopes for HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania, but now I wish all the best to Mr. Nicholas Medforth-Mills.

People close to the Royal Family have intimated that it was the King, and not Nicholas, who made this decision. I am likely to put more stock in what they have learned directly from members of the Royal House than the opinions of those on Internet chat forums.

They likened it to the RF "shooting themselves in the foot," but reiterated that it was definitely King Michael who wished for this to happen-and apparently there are indeed no scandalous reasons behind it.

One must say, it would be not a little naïve to think that the opinion of Radu does not carry weight within the family - he managed to have His Majesty publicly endorse his ill-advised run for the Romanian presidency, a tactic that appalled many monarchists in the country who were so used to their former King remaining above politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

To me it seems that the king, crown princess Margarita and prince Radu have not worked hard at all for Nicholas. Because the king and the advisor of the Royal Family "accused" him of lacking modesty etc. To me it seems that the king, Margarita and Radu didn't guide Nicholas at all well to his role as a prince like they would have wanted him to do it. The king lives in Switzerland, so the duty went to Margarita and Radu. Margarita and Radu are from different generation than Nicholas, and of course they have different ideas of how to do your work as a royal.
Like said many times, it was the king, who decided to take the title from Nicholas, and Nicholas didn't request of it. The advisor of the Royal Family has said that in various interviews, so we have to believe it. It the king was influenced strongly by someone, that is something we just can guess.
About Radu's influence on king Michael: to me it speaks volumes that at the photos published about Margarita's and Radu's visit to Switzerland, and the meeting where the decision was made - Radu was at the photo, not Margarita. Margarita was at the "lovely" photo at the lunch. Yes, it is said that Margarita is a member of the Royal council, but the king wants to give an impression to publicity that Radu is very important for him and close to him. They should have had a photo of Margarita at the meeting.
And people don't always have to have something to gain about various decisions, for instance jealousy is good enough reason for many. Maybe Margarita and Radu were thinking that they have worked hard for Romania, Elena hasn't worked hardly at all for Romania, and now Elena's son comes and in 5 years becomes more popular than Margarita and Radu. Not every royal, especially when they are not reigning royals, thinks for the future when it is outside their lifetime. And for Radu there was something to gain: now he is again the only male royal representing the Royal Family in Romania, and there isn't another, much more popular and younger man taking his glory.
For Nicholas in Romania there was so much to gain: the respect of a whole country, where he could have done so much good, and he had already a very good start. The love of the romanian people. In his interviews one can have read about his enthusiasm and respect to his work, his passion to do good for children and young people. That he just suddenly would have wanted to stop that, doesn't seem reasonable. He seems a very ambitious man, and able to handle a challenge to make a difference to the lives of many people in Romania.

Last edited:
Let us also remember that while Nicholas was born the son of a Princess of Romania and the eldest grandson of King Michael, his uncle Radu is the commoner-born husband of the eldest daughter of the King.

Before he met Margarita, Radu was by all accounts a not-so-well-known actor.

Now, one could say, he is playing the role of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It is thanks to Radu and his strategic thinking, his eye for opportunities and his understanding about the importance of public relations and communications, the former royal family has been dragged out of obscurity.

Princess Margarita and Radu have guided, assisted, encouraged and helped their nephew Nicholas where possible. In so many formal and semi-formal events they have included their nephew. On public pictures it almost looked as if Nicholas was their son. A clear attempt to make him a "natural heir". Yes, he was destined as "Princess Margarita's Heir" if we conveniently forget his mother.

And now posters think that all this work of years, all these efforts, al this carefully planning was thrown overboard because maybe there were incompatibilités des humeurs? No, that goes too far and -as said- King Michael, Princess Margareta and Radu only could lose. There was no any win-situation for them. For a grandfather and an aunt acting so dramatical to their very own grandson resp. nephew something must have happened. Something so scandalous which made Nicholas' position unsustainable? Or simply because Nicholas requested or urged his grandfather and his aunt to let him free, to let him choose his own destiny?

And now posters think that all this work of years, all these efforts, al this carefully planning was thrown overboard because maybe there were incompatibilités des humeurs? No, that goes too far and -as said- King Michael, Princess Margareta and Radu only could lose. There was no any win-situation for them. For a grandfather and an aunt acting so dramatical to their very own grandson resp. nephew something must have happened. Something so scandalous which made Nicholas' position unsustainable? Or simply because Nicholas requested or urged his grandfather and his aunt to let him free, to let him choose his own destiny?

You may choose to believe whatever you wish, Duc_et_Pair.

However, individuals who know members of the Royal House and have spoken with them state (privately) that this was a measure taken solely by King Michael. One should recall that the King did strip Princess Sophie of her title due to her marrying someone he did not approve of and then he restored it after her divorce. Then, one also has the more recent example of what happened to Irina (and her children).

Nicholas had no say in this development, and it was not due to any actual scandal, according to those who know the family.

But the person "close to King Michael" (How close? In Romania? In Switzerland? Or are they profiling himself as "spokesperson"?) can have an own agenda as well. It are the Balkans you know...

1.How many % royal supporters in Roumania : 10 % or less

2.What said the roumanian press about it , Do they have a Journalist as our Duc et Pair who arguments so well the royal sucession ?.

3. Why the sudden came back of Princess Maria ?

4.Will they continue the show of garden parties with balcony appearence with stuff ot the balcony, Will they host dinners and grant décorations ?

5. By the way I suppose Nicolas may not wear his Sash anymore and had to give it back. Sashes are expensive.

Conclusion : It was a nice Summer feuilleton .
Amen

Let us also remember that while Nicholas was born the son of a Princess of Romania and the eldest grandson of King Michael, his uncle Radu is the commoner-born husband of the eldest daughter of the King.

Before he met Margarita, Radu was by all accounts a not-so-well-known actor.

Now, one could say, he is playing the role of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

"Ηe is playing the role of a lifetime". This Benjamin is very successful. The only thing we do not know yet is whether this role is the "devil" or the "angel" on the monarchy in Romania. :ermm::sad::whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom