The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Since when Nicolae have two names and i don't know?
His official name, born in Switzerland from a British father is Nicholas Medforth-Mills. He uses that name internationally. Also his LinkedIn profile is with that name. The surname was changed into "Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills" but I am not sure if that also counts for his British passport.

Five years ago his grandfather, former King Michael created him Prince of Romania but of course, as Romania is no monarchy, in principle he can call him everything. Tsar of La-la-land or something. I doubt he is registered as "Principele Nicolae al României" in his (republican) Romanian passport.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I see. For romanians is the Tsar of La-la-land or something and for the others like you is Nicholas Medforth-Mills. I totally understand.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I see. For romanians is the Tsar of La-la-land or something and for the others like you is Nicholas Medforth-Mills. I totally understand.
In your very own country they don't say King Constantine of Greece, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece or Prince Pavlos of Greece, are they?

What do you make of the fact that Nicholas calls himself "Nicholas Medforth-Mills" on his own LinkedIn page? It is his name, it is in his British Passport, it was his father's name, it is his sister's name.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

My very own country they say EX King Constantine ,EX Queen Anne-Marie and EX Prince Pavlos. I don't know about the passports or they own LinkedIn page if they have.
And for the Nicholas i told you perfectly you give me to understad. Don't worry.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

When King Constantine visited Greece for the first time he had to use a Danish Passport with with " Constantine of Greece" in Spanish, for mysterious reasons "Constantino de Grecia" which was translated as Κωνσταντίνος Ντεγκρέτσιας....

For me he is King Constantine because that was his legal name when he went into exile. That is a difference with the son of Robin Medforth-Mills who suddenly became "de Roumanie Medforth Mills" and then "Prince of Romania" with not with a legal status. That is also why I preferrably use "Prince Henri d'Orléans" and not "Comte de Paris" or -worse- an absolute fantasy title as "Duc de France"...
Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

So the Nicolae you don't recognize him like a prince because he don't born as Prince but become suddenly from nowwhere.OK a little confuse is that. ( Very good your greeks).
Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure there are many people out there who like to give themselves heirs and graces, but Nicolae does not strike me as one of them. Nonetheless, on his Facebook page it does say Principele Nicolae al Romaniei and personally I tend to refer to him as Nicolae in this thread as we all know who we are talking about.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Aristocracy

I have seen him mentioned on Romanian TV as Principe Nicolae, so, I suppose, since there is no "legal" standing, due his grandfather being overthrown and that there is a republican government, he is generally recognized as a de facto prince of Romania. Both many members of the public as well as government officials seem to warmly embrace him as their prince.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Horthy View Post
I have seen him mentioned on Romanian TV as Principe Nicolae, so, I suppose, since there is no "legal" standing, due his grandfather being overthrown and that there is a republican government, he is generally recognized as a de facto prince of Romania. Both many members of the public as well as government officials seem to warmly embrace him as their prince.
I'm not sure they embrace him as "Their Prince". I think they embrace him as "a Prince" from the former royal family who is a most friendly and charming gentleman. "Their Prince" seems to indicate that the Romanians want him to be their "Master" and I don't believe that is the case...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I'm not sure they embrace him as "Their Prince". I think they embrace him as "a Prince" from the former royal family who is a most friendly and charming gentleman. "Their Prince" seems to indicate that the Romanians want him to be their "Master" and I don't believe that is the case...

I am sure many Englishmen embrace ERII as "their Queen" but don't want, or expect, her to be their master. And from all the photos and videos I have seen he is warmly embraced by the public, as is his aunt.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Heir Apparent

The Romanians want him to be their "master"? What imagination
Old 06-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Nicolae accepted the patronage of Patrula de Reciclare, the national programme on environmental education conducted by the Romanian Association for recycling RoRec in schools all over the country. The ceremony was held on Tuesday 16th June at the Elisabeta Palace.
Principele Nicolae, Înalt Patronaj Patrulei de Reciclare _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania
Translation
Gallery
Înalt Patronaj Patrulei de Reciclare _ Facebook

Alteța Sa Regală Principele Nicolae al României a conferit Înaltul Patronaj Patrulei de Reciclare _ Patrula de Reciclare
Old 06-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Romanians want him to be their "master"? What imagination
There is a linguïstic difference in seeing someone as "Their Prince" (accepting him as the one and the only) or "A Prince". I think that the majority of the monegasques see Prince Albert as "Their Prince" indeed. I hope that I have explained the difference somewhat better now.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe romanians see the Nicolae like A Prince but soon to be Their Prince. Nicolae is smart and have strong personality. He born and grow in another country but return to the Romania a country he know very little i think and he is trying to offer and helpinf people there. Very soon for the Romanians he is if he is not yet "Their Prince" .
Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Maybe romanians see the Nicolae like A Prince but soon to be Their Prince. Nicolae is smart and have strong personality. He born and grow in another country but return to the Romania a country he know very little i think and he is trying to offer and helpinf people there. Very soon for the Romanians he is if he is not yet "Their Prince" .
That is very optimistic. At the recent elections for the presidency the candidate whom promised a referendum on the monarchy has lost. This candidate, Mr Victor Ponta, "forgot" article 152 of the Constitution, so his election promise was worth nothing, after all: as President he is obliged to maintain the Romanian Constitution.

ARTICLE 152
(1) The provisions of this Constitution with regard to the national, independent, unitary and indivisible character of the Romanian State, the republican form of government, territorial integrity, independence of justice, political pluralism and official language shall not be subject to revision.

With other words: it is almost impossible to re-introduce the monarchy and to get Nicolas as "The Prince", for all Romanians.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
That is very optimistic. At the recent elections for the presidency the candidate whom promised a referendum on the monarchy has lost. This candidate, Mr Victor Ponta, "forgot" article 152 of the Constitution, so his election promise was worth nothing, after all: as President he is obliged to maintain the Romanian Constitution.

ARTICLE 152
(1) The provisions of this Constitution with regard to the national, independent, unitary and indivisible character of the Romanian State, the republican form of government, territorial integrity, independence of justice, political pluralism and official language shall not be subject to revision.

With other words: it is almost impossible to re-introduce the monarchy and to get Nicolas as "The Prince", for all Romanians.
Duc et Pair is right but it is possible to ditch the current constitution and adopt a new one which could allow for a referendum on the monarchy or establish a constitutional role for the Royal Family of Romania and recognise the head of the family's right to confer titles. Also, in our day and age, one could argue that a "republican form of government" does not necessarily preclude a ceremonial monarchy which has no power in the government of a country.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:47 AM
Aristocracy

It's perfectly acceptable in English to say that some Romanians may see Prince Nicolae as "their prince". In Tasmania it quite normal to see a certain Danish Crown Princess referred to as our Princess Mary. It's just a way of implying a closer relationship, similar to the English habit of referring to a family member named Arthur, for example, as "our Arthur".
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
It's perfectly acceptable in English to say that some Romanians may see Prince Nicolae as "their prince". In Tasmania it quite normal to see a certain Danish Crown Princess referred to as our Princess Mary. It's just a way of implying a closer relationship, similar to the English habit of referring to a family member named Arthur, for example, as "our Arthur".
That would be a great and remarkable achievement for a Swiss-born British gentleman, when he is indeed spontaneously named "Our Prince" by Romanians passing by in Cluj, Constanta or Brasov. One should go to the shopping street and show them a picture and ask them who the man is. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh my. "Their Prince" , "Our Prince", "A Prince", My Prince' , "Your Prince" . Can't we arrive to one and only please?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Quod erat demonstrandum.
What has been proven? Nothing in particular as far as I can see.

Tags
prince nicolae, royal family of romania