Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all countries need a government under the sign of modesty, well-balanced, with morals, respect and always thinking of others, but seeing as that tends not to be achievable most of the time, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything - especially if what LadyFinn has posted above is correct and that the decision was taken together and seems to have come more from Nicholas than anyone else.

If Nicholas has come to the decision that he cannot fulfill the role then IMO it was better to share this with his grandfather and aunt now rather than later.

It seems, according to the article on the home page, that the King wants the royal family to end with the Crown Princess.

But...why...?

If Nicolae isn't up to carrying on the legacy, Margarita has no children, Irena has been in legal trouble which throws her kids out of the running, I do not believe Maria has any children, that leaves Nicolae's sister Elizabeta, which, at this point, would be like starting from scratch. It is over, sad to say.

The king speak about the modesty in the statement. I'm almost sure that he is implicated in a scandal and probably will be revealed by the press in the next few days. He did something wrong, this is my opinion and this is the reason.We will see! I will keep you in touch because i'm from romania.

This seems such a strange turn of events and it makes one wonder about the future. His Majesty spoke of Margarita's "reign" which recently seemed a more realistic possibility than say, a Serbian restoration. But I thought that this had been cemented by Nicolae's popularity and certainly he seemed to prepare himself for such a role. Perhaps he wishes to enter Romanian politics now where his title would be an issue? Whatever the reason, I'm not sure it's the wisest one.

I have to confess, I'm a little confused. Not just because Nicolae has been removed but because of what it means for the Romanian Royal Family's future. The Fundamental Rules of the Royal House of Romania of 2007 (not backed by parliament of course) would mean that were there to be a restoration, Romania would have three Queens regnant after Mihai (Margarita, Helen and Elisabeth) but any restoration would need parliament to ratify the King's 2007 document and there's nothing to say that parliament (and the people) would be happy with Nicolae being overlooked, whatever the reasons are.

Does this now mean that the King will create his granddaughter a Princess of Romania? It's all very bizarre!

One thing which came to my mind, when the adviser spoke about Nicholas being involved in professional sports, is that Nicholas loves cycling. Cycling is a great hobby and good for everyone's health. And it can be used to good things, like Nicholas showed with his tour in Romania to collect money to children's books. But cycling is also always in the headlines of the sport pages because of doping. We all remember Lance Armstrong, and so many other cyclists who have used doping.
Perhaps the king thinks that cycling isn't good PR for the Royal House of Romania.

The king speak about the modesty in the statement. I'm almost sure that he is implicated in a scandal and probably will be revealed by the press in the next few days. He did something wrong, this is my opinion and this is the reason.We will see! I will keep you in touch because i'm from romania.

I hope that there is no scandal involving Nicolae, I can't imagine it is true. Nonetheless, it is good to have a perspective from someone from Romania, so please keep us updated! :flowers:

It's quite a sacrifice to make though. If Nicolae had been implicated in something then I could see the connection. One thing I found odd was that the statement mentioned "Nicolae's ideals" - it could be a poor translation of course but it does seem that Nicolae wants something very different to what his grandfather feels is right. I fear it may look a little opportunistic however if the same treatment was to be given to Elisabeth now. When Nicolae was made a Prince and courted as a successor to his aunt and mother, it made sense. But to try the same experiment with his sister would, IMO, seem quite contrived.

The Royal family Spokesman, Ioan Luca Vlad, told the reporters that that "there was not any scandal, but a "mismatch" ( i don't know if this is the right word) between prince ideals and the royal duties"

I find it strange. But who will it stay in place Nicolae? your sister?

I don't think, his sister is far from all these royal rules.

The successor will be probably proclaimed by princess Margareta, only after her father's death and it could be anyone from family.

The Royal family Spokesman, Ioan Luca Vlad, told the reporters that that "there was not any scandal, but a "mismatch" ( i don't know if this is the right word) between prince ideals and the royal duties"

The use of the word 'ideals' is what concerns me. It makes it sound as if there's been some major disagreement concerning Nicolae's private life.

That screams of there is some fundamental disagreement between Nicholas and his grandfather about the way Nicholas live his life.

A saccharine campaign to market Prince Nicolae was in vain. Does this development mean that Romania may postpone the restoration?

Last edited:
I can well imagine the Crown Princess choosing an successor after the King's death (which will happen soon rather than later, as His Majesty is approaching his 94th birthday). But who that person would be?

That screams of there is some fundamental disagreement between Nicholas and his grandfather about the way Nicholas live his life.

Certainly Nicolae's public life was nothing but good work, not to mention good press for the family. He seemed to be reasonably popular.

I can well imagine the Crown Princess choosing an successor after the King's death (which will happen soon rather than later, as His Majesty is approaching his 94th birthday). But who that person would be?

This raises an interesting point. When Nicolae was 'installed' as Margarita's successor, there was talk about it coming across as a very imperious move. Romania was never an elective monarchy (I think I'm right in saying that?) so surely Margarita is bound to follow the Fundamental Laws of her father or give the entire matter over to parliament should there be a restoration, in which case, parliament may reinstate Nicolae as they may be fine with the ideals he has which the King disagrees with?

Certainly Nicolae's public life was nothing but good work, not to mention good press for the family. He seemed to be reasonably popular.

yeah, it might not be his public "ideals" but his private ones, in which case i guess we might find out in years to come (or not at all)

This raises an interesting point. When Nicolae was 'installed' as Margarita's successor, there was talk about it coming across as a very imperious move. Romania was never an elective monarchy (I think I'm right in saying that?) so surely Margarita is bound to follow the Fundamental Laws of her father or give the entire matter over to parliament should there be a restoration, in which case, parliament may reinstate Nicolae as they may be fine with the ideals he has which the King disagrees with?

That's possible, in the event of a restoration, the Parliament could recognize the Crown Princess as Queen of Romania and name Nicholas as her successor.

The only problem is if Nicholas is not really interested in continue the dynasty.

But, if there's no restoration, who will be the Head of the Royal House after the Crown Princess' passing?

That's possible, in the event of a restoration, the Parliament could recognize the Crown Princess as Queen of Romania and name Nicholas as her successor.

The only problem is if Nicholas is not really interested in continue the dynasty.

But, if there's no restoration, who will be the Head of the Royal House after the Crown Princess' passing?

As I understand it, it'll pass to her sister Helen and then to Nicolae's sister Elisabeth. But this would open up the old debates about the King's right to change the laws of succession. Again!

No restoration possible, ever. Without a united family all willing to work towards the goal of restoration, it isn't going to happen, especially when you loose someone as prominent as the King's grandson. He has traveled the nation, learned to speak Romanian, if somewhat haltingly, met with local politicians and villagers, put so much work into his role and now he withdraws? This is the ultimate in bad public relations. He brought youth and energy to the royal family, just as his aunt brought dignity and confidence to her role as CP. Now that is all gone.

No restoration possible, ever. Without a united family all willing to work towards the goal of restoration, it isn't going to happen, especially when you loose someone as prominent as the King's grandson. He has traveled the nation, learned to speak Romanian, if somewhat haltingly, met with local politicians and villagers, put so much work into his role and now he withdraws? This is the ultimate in bad public relations. He brought youth and energy to the royal family, just as his aunt brought dignity and confidence to her role as CP. Now that is all gone.

Sadly that does seem the case doesn't it? Even if they tried the same 'make-over' with his sister, I can't see the Romanian people being quite so enthusiastic as they appeared to be when Nicolae came onto the scene.

According to the statement, Nicholas has done nothing wrong.

Sadly that does seem the case doesn't it? Even if they tried the same 'make-over' with his sister, I can't see the Romanian people being quite so enthusiastic as they appeared to be when Nicolae came onto the scene.

Karina is not going to be "groomed" as the second in line. She does not live in Romania.

Karina is not going to be "groomed" as the second in line. She does not live in Romania.

So there's no future for Romanian Royal Family. After the passing of the Crown Princess and her sisters, there will no Romanian royals left.

The King's family will be seen as not dedicated or wishy-washy, fair or not. The only really public figures were the CP, her husband, and Nicolae, they were the face of the royal family. It isn't as if the CP has a bunch of kids of her own with one "not fitting in", her nephew was pretty much it. Maybe, if when Nicolae was made a prince, his sister was also made a princess and they both worked toward a restoration, this might have either not happened or not been as important. But the entire dynasty was placed on one young man's head, and maybe that was unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom