Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Nicholas and Elizabeth were born as:

Nicholas Michael Medforth-Mills
Elizabeth-Karina Medforth-Mills

Then it was changed into:

Nicholas Michael de Roumanie Medforth-Mills
Elizabeth-Karina de Roumanie Medforth-Mills

Then Nicolas was created HRH Prince Nicolae of Romania

Why was his sister not created HRH Princess Elisabeta-Karina of Romania ? If her brother Nicholas has a birthright, then she has the same: they share exactly the same father and mother!

:ermm:

I've often wondered that myself. But thinking about it he may have received the title simply as an heir to the heir. Or maybe his sister doesn't want to play a part in the Royal Family.

I've often wondered that myself. But thinking about it he may have received the title simply as an heir to the heir. Or maybe his sister doesn't want to play a part in the Royal Family.

Of course someone can have ambivalent feelings about playing a part (or not) in the family where they come from. But Elizabeth-Karina of course should be a Princess as well, if we are applying the same rules on the same situations and act gender equal. Nicholas is not the Heir. His mother is not even the Heiress. For so far Nicholas has no other position than that he is, in the disputed line of succession, the Number Three after his aunt and his mother. Then comes Number Four, which is his very own sister Elizabeth-Karina with the same parents but who has no any title at all....

:ermm:

Last edited:
He is not an heir but to me it is quite clear he is the future of the House and that may well be why he is was given the title. Its not unusual for the elder sibling to have a different title from their brothers/sisters its just like there is the title Prince/Princess of Orange, Prince/Princess of Wales, Prince/Princess of Asturias, the eldest child of the Crown Prince of Norway is titled HRH Princess Ingrid Alexander whilst her younger brother has the lower title HH Prince Sverre Magnus. Are all of these titles unfair or just an acceptance that as the elder child they have a more vital role within their Royal Houses?
IMO I doubt Elizabeth-Karina doesn't have a title because she is female, after all her grandfather King Michael had 5 daughters of his own.

What is known about his sister,Elizabeth-Karina?

Last Tuesday 28th October prince Nicolae visited the Secondary School "Ferdinand I" in Bucharest on the occasion of the event "tribute to the Romanian Royal House of art".
Prince Nicolae took part in theatrical performance "Child of the Sun", adapted from a text signed by Queen Mary.
At the end of the event, prince Nicolae handed out awards to students who have exhibited in the contest drawing "Royal House seen by children".
Principele Nicolae în vizită la Școala Gimnazială „Ferdinand I” Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

On Wednesday 29th October prince Nicolae took part in the Aula Magna of the Faculty of Law in Bucharest, at the signing ceremony of the partnership agreement between the University of Bucharest and the "The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Romania" . "The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Romania" is under the high patronage of her Royal Highness the Crown Princess Margarita. Prince Nicolae is the Ambassador of the Program Award in Romania.
Principele Nicolae, Universitatea din București, 29 octombrie 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

He is not an heir but to me it is quite clear he is the future of the House and that may well be why he is was given the title. Its not unusual for the elder sibling to have a different title from their brothers/sisters its just like there is the title Prince/Princess of Orange, Prince/Princess of Wales, Prince/Princess of Asturias, the eldest child of the Crown Prince of Norway is titled HRH Princess Ingrid Alexander whilst her younger brother has the lower title HH Prince Sverre Magnus. Are all of these titles unfair or just an acceptance that as the elder child they have a more vital role within their Royal Houses?
IMO I doubt Elizabeth-Karina doesn't have a title because she is female, after all her grandfather King Michael had 5 daughters of his own.

The titles Prince(ss) of Orange, Prince of Wales, Prince(ss) of Asturias are "functional titles" which are not attached to the person but to the position of the Heir to the throne.

As Nicholas is no Heir, these titles are no good comparison. Before Catharina-Amalia became The Princess of Orange, she had exactly the same titles as her siblings: Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkvrouw van Amsberg with the prefix HRH. Before Doña Leonor became The Princess of Asturias, she had exactly the same title as her sister: Infanta de España with the prefix HRH.

The only "title discrimination" between siblings indeed is the one between HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and her brother HH Prince Sverre Magnus (not even "of Norway"). But at least Sverre still has the royal dignity and style of a Prince. In the Romanian example the very sister of the future pretended King of Romania is a commoner without any title or style, despite having exactly the same parents. That is really quite an inflation of the "droit divin" if you ask me.

:flowers:

Maybe, in light of the fact that he is not reigning, King Michael does not wish to hand out titles like candy, might seem presumptuous. Or, perhaps, Elizabeth-Karina doesn't want a title.

Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, refused titles for her two children.

None the less as the legal, legitimate and biological grandson of the King I see no problem with him being titled by his grandfather.

The titles Prince(ss) of Orange, Prince of Wales, Prince(ss) of Asturias are "functional titles" which are not attached to the person but to the position of the Heir to the throne.

As Nicholas is no Heir, these titles are no good comparison. Before Catharina-Amalia became The Princess of Orange, she had exactly the same titles as her siblings: Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkvrouw van Amsberg with the prefix HRH. Before Doña Leonor became The Princess of Asturias, she had exactly the same title as her sister: Infanta de España with the prefix HRH.

The only "title discrimination" between siblings indeed is the one between HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and her brother HH Prince Sverre Magnus (not even "of Norway"). But at least Sverre still has the royal dignity and style of a Prince. In the Romanian example the very sister of the future pretended King of Romania is a commoner without any title or style, despite having exactly the same parents. That is really quite an inflation of the "droit divin" if you ask me.

:flowers:

Well if reasoning doesn't give you an answer let's just put it down to; a (former) king does as a (former) king wants

The presumption regarding the title issue is that whatever happens in the future, Prince Nicolae is to represent the family in an official/semi-official capacity and his sister and the heirs following will not. In other words, Nicolae has been accorded the royal style and title with future expectations in mind.
It is unfortunate that little is known about his sister Elizabeth-Karina. However, I have it in mind that she will at some point in the future be given a royal title, perhaps when Nicolae becomes head of the house or in the event she marries and produces a male heir, for instance Nicolae doesn't.

If we find this policy appropriate, right or not is of none importance. King Mihai has decided to create his grandson Prince of Romania, bestowed royal orders on him, and that´s that! It is quite obvious that he has different things in his mind concerning the future of the royal house and perhaps a restoration when it comes to Nicolae than Elisabeth Karina.
Prince Nicolae has, by both his grandparents, emperors, kings, queens and grand dukes in his ancestry (which E-K, of course, also has), which, combined with his fine qualities we were able to witness the past few years, makes him a proper candidate to play a senior role in the royal family! It´s just that the King (perhaps in accordance with the CPss) seems to have more specific plans for his grandSON in the future.
But who claims or will know, that his granddaughter would be forever banned the title of a princess?

Prince Nicolae took part on 30th October in the ceremony of painting and graphics contest "A king, a queen" to children aged 6-14 years, held at Jockey Club in Bucharest. He handed diplomas to the winners of the two age groups, 6-10 years and 11-14 years.
The competition organized by the National Alliance for Restoration of Monarchy has gathered 270 works from Romania and Moldova. The purpose of the contest was to promote universal values ​​of royalty, giving children the chance of a creativity exercise to develop their imagination and inspire them to cultivate their artistic talents.
Principele Nicolae, Jockey Club, 30 octombrie 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

On Saturday 1st November prince Nicolae attended at in the third edition of the Sports TriKids Bucharest, held on the National Rugby Stadium "Arc de Triomphe".
Sporting event was dedicated to children aged 4 to 14 years and involved sports activities such as running or cycling. The main objective of the competition was to promote normal sport among children. Prince Nicolae was present at the event as the founder of the Association "Curtea Veche".
Principele Nicolae la TriKids Challenge Bucureşti 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

Prince Nicolae took part on 30th October in the ceremony of painting and graphics contest "A king, a queen" to children aged 6-14 years, held at Jockey Club in Bucharest. He handed diplomas to the winners of the two age groups, 6-10 years and 11-14 years.
The competition organized by the National Alliance for Restoration of Monarchy has gathered 270 works from Romania and Moldova. The purpose of the contest was to promote universal values ​​of royalty, giving children the chance of a creativity exercise to develop their imagination and inspire them to cultivate their artistic talents.
Principele Nicolae, Jockey Club, 30 octombrie 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania
Translation

The description "the chance of a creativity exercise to develop their imagination and inspire them to cultivate their artistic talents" reminds me of my art classes in parochial school.
If we were assigned to draw a specific storybook character, we were prompted to use our imagination.

Last edited:
From 10 to 19 November, Prince Nicholas worked as a volunteer at Alpha Transilvana Foundation in Tirgu Mures. Nicholas told when he was volunteering in July, that he wanted to continue working for the benefit of children with disabilities. His agenda included both activities for children and youth with disabilities and activities in early education programs for children with normal development. He told that he wants to work as a volunteer also next year.
ALTEȚA SA REGALĂ PRINCIPELE NICOLAE AL ROMÂNIEI CONTINUĂ VOLUNTARIATUL LA FUNDAȚIA ALPHA TRANSILVANĂ
Translation

Photo gallery
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1536270473286617.1073741874.100007110361025&type=1

From 10 to 19 November, Prince Nicholas worked as a volunteer at Alpha Transilvana Foundation in Tirgu Mures. Nicholas told when he was volunteering in July, that he wanted to continue working for the benefit of children with disabilities. His agenda included both activities for children and youth with disabilities and activities in early education programs for children with normal development. He told that he wants to work as a volunteer also next year.

Thank you, LadyFinn! I´ve wondering where he was in the past 2 or so weeks and I thought he was on a holiday. I love seeing N. working with children and I´m happy he enjoys it that much!

Prince Nicolae is wonderful. If Romania ever decide to restore the Monarchy and he become King, the country will be in safe hands.

And it's great to see the Prince interact with children, he'll be a great father one day.

The young Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills is also very involved with a new associattion linked with Curtea Veche Publishing House.

Titles notwithstanding, the reality is that monarchy is based on the principle of primogeniture. Even though some in the new generation of European queen consorts and crown princesses might strive to treat all their children equally, the logic of the system is such that the first-born, as the one destined to become the Head of State, will always have a higher status than his/her siblings.

It is a concept that may be difficult to grasp for us commoners raised in ordinary middle-class families where the principle of equality between siblings is sacrosanct, but I suppose it is the reality of royal families. After all, there can only be one reigning king or queen at a time. I guess it was even harsher back when women were not allowed to succeed, or when younger brothers were preferred over their elder sisters, but, fortunately, most European monarchies have now moved away from agnatic succession or male-preference cognatic primogeniture.

According to the Constitution of 1923 none of the King's grandchildren would be able to receive any title.

He is very good in communicating with all ages because he does not pretend to be somebody he is not. He is genuine and friendly and that's help him a lot.

How much is he really influenced by his aunt and by her husband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom