Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to know whats is really going on in the King's Family and certainly the sad events of the late two years do not help. As many other people I believe Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills was not treated fairly by some of his maternal Family. Regarding his popularity it is obvious he has supporters but there is no poll to tell as how many see him really as a future King.

But how many other people? That’s all I’m asking for. A poll or a statistic. “Many other people” can be said to support any cause I care to name but unless I can provide concrete facts or evidence, I’m just offering cloud. You keep saying it’s obvious and you talk about his supporters but you can never give any evidence for this.

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion, I stress that because you seem to take any questioning of Nicholas as a personal attack. But it’s not enough to say “all his supporters” or “obvious preference” constantly and expect that to be the end of the matter. Again, we can agree to disagree because without any kind of evidence we’re just going round and round in circles.

I do agree with you but that doesn’t change the fact that Nicholas can’t seem to decide what he wants. Margareta and Maria knew what they would be doing in the future. Nicholas can’t seem to decide.

My issue isn’t with the marriage at all. You talk about a public role but Nicholas doesn’t have that anymore. Does he want it? Doesn’t he? Who knows? He’s a man of very mixed messages, not all of them pleasant.

Can I ask you what proof he has provided that he does not desire a public role? I have not gotten the sense that he has been sending mixed messages. He performed his princely duties remarkably well, and this led to an increase in support for the Royal House. He hosted royal visitors (Leka and Elia of Albania, for example), became involved in numerous charities, championed child literacy and ecology, etc. He did not mix with politicians, unlike his aunt and uncle. His sudden removal from the royal house was not at his request. He did not accept the decision - though this did not stop the Royal Household from putting out a communiqué in his name (which was not really above board) claiming that he accepted the action. The lawyer for the Royal Household, Ioan-Luca Vlad, at first claimed that the decision was not a punishment, but it is hard not to question that statement in light of all that has surfaced since. Nicholas tried to reconcile with his aunt and to establish a channel of communication with her after the August 2015 debacle, but he was rebuffed. This did not stop the Royal Household from sending him a monthly stipend to essentially go away; they just preferred to pay him to disappear than to try to unify the family and prevent the enormous scandal that has resulted as a result of their behaviour. Nicholas tried to see his grandfather numerous times (seven) to say good-bye, but each time he was prevented from doing so. This despite the fact that all the King's daughters save Irina were allowed to visit the King's bedside.

It seems as though this situation is one where there are two sides. One views the actions of the Custodian of the Crown and her husband in regards to their nephew and erstwhile heir as acceptable, and the other views the actions as unacceptable.

After the decision King Michael took, Nicholas said he accepted it. He moved to London, became engaged, married and didn’t really return to Romania to carry out any duties. He said he was happy as a private citizen but then he seems to enjoy the adulation. Not that I claim to know what the problem was or what his mindset is but I have to say, when the Royal House seems to be in such a good place in Romania it seems irresponsible and a little selfish to set himself up as a rival to aunt when he’s never going to have what she has.

But how many other people? That’s all I’m asking for. A poll or a statistic. “Many other people” can be said to support any cause I care to name but unless I can provide concrete facts or evidence, I’m just offering cloud. You keep saying it’s obvious and you talk about his supporters but you can never give any evidence for this.

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion, I stress that because you seem to take any questioning of Nicholas as a personal attack. But it’s not enough to say “all his supporters” or “obvious preference” constantly and expect that to be the end of the matter. Again, we can agree to disagree because without any kind of evidence we’re just going round and round in circles.

The only poll that was done during the time that Prince Nicholas was a member of the Royal House did not mention him...and it was commissioned by the Royal House. I posted it here when it was released some years ago. The only members who were named were King Michael, Queen Anne, Crown Princess Margarita and Prince Radu.

After the decision King Michael took, Nicholas said he accepted it. He moved to London, became engaged, married and didn’t really return to Romania to carry out any duties. He said he was happy as a private citizen but then he seems to enjoy the adulation. Not that I claim to know what the problem was or what his mindset is but I have to say, when the Royal House seems to be in such a good place in Romania it seems irresponsible and a little selfish to set himself up as a rival to aunt when he’s never going to have what she has.

Can you provide a link to the statement where he said that? :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure thing. It might take a while for me to find it but I’ll have a google around later this evening [emoji5]

There is not such a poll at the moment. Just look at the videos from his meeting with the people in front of the Royal Palace few days ago and you see how some people relate to him.
As I said I am certainly not his supporter even if I believe personally he is the only descendant of the King who could become a symbol for the restoration of Monarchy.

In the minds of some, the problem for Nicholas was that Radu (and Margarita, though I try to give her the benefit of the doubt, even though it is difficult) began to view him as a rival while he was still a member of the Royal House. Which would explain why he had to go. Otherwise, there was the possibility that Margarita might be bypassed and Nicholas would end up being chosen for the position she now occupies. One doubts Margarita and Radu wanted to see all the work that they had done not be recognised, and, to be fair, you cannot blame them. They did not have to throw their nephew under a bus, though.

One doubts Margarita and Radu wanted to see all the work that they had done not be recognised, and, to be fair, you cannot blame them.

If Margarita and Radu had worked unselfishly all the years for the bright future of the Romanian Royal House, they should have been thrilled about Nicholas' growing popularity, and the possibility that with Nicholas Romania could become a monarchy again, with Nicholas as the King.

I suppose the public has the right to know what happened in August 2015, what happened in Aubonne when Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills wanted to visit his grandfather recently and why Nicholas and Alina de Roumanie Medforth Mills were not invited to join the other members of the King's Family on the Royal Train from Baneasa to Curtea de Arges yesterday.

Last edited:
The Sunday Times: English outcast eyes Romanian crown

Quotes: "Representing the Queen at the funeral in Bucharest yesterday of former King Michael of Romania, the Prince of Wales found himself in the unusual position of being, for many Romanians, only the second most interesting Englishman present."

"'Nicholas has become very popular,' said Marlene Eilers Koenig, an American historian who knew King Michael and has written about his family. 'But there have been signs that other members of the family resented his popularity.'" [My note: Marlene Eilers Koenig has been an acquaintance/friend of the Royal Family, especially the King, since the late 1980s.)

"A surge of Romanian enthusiasm for the couple, who will marry next summer, appears to have persuaded the rest of the family to welcome him back into the fold. The marriage of Harry and Meghan will not be the only royal union to tantalise the European paparazzi next year."

I really don't see why it is illogical for an engaged couple to get married.

Indeed. For a private person. But that is not what Nicky wants to be. Or does he?

What he did is the same as "Doña Leonor informs that last month she has married Mr García". Period. Bam. Ready.

Then I would like to see the reactions in Spain and on this board.

I suppose that with "Nicky" you mean Nicholas? I only know that the late emperor of Russia had that nickname, but I see that Mr. Medforth Mills has it too.

I really fail to see why there is a problem with him getting married. What is the other option? He should stop living after his family denounced him?

Last edited:
If Margarita and Radu had worked unselfishly all the years for the bright future of the Romanian Royal House, they should have been thrilled about Nicholas' growing popularity, and the possibility that with Nicholas Romania could become a monarchy again, with Nicholas as the King.

Yeah, gosh, hey, that Lazy Marge and her hubby. As if they -as no one else in the family- have not spent all their energy in pursuing a relevant role for the former royal family, to build, step-by-step, stone-by-stone, a structure, a system which works wonderfully smooth and effective, putting similar Households in reigning monarchies to shame, as these seem to rely on HUGE budgets for unclear reasons while the Romanians do the same for scratch.

While the former King and Queen simply remained in Aubonne, in a self-chosen exile, while the sisters and their families pursued a private life outside Romania, it were Margareta and Radu who, effort after effort, tried to find a meaningful and relevant role in Romania.

The point of Romania becoming a monarchy again and making Nicholas Medforth-Mills King is way passed. Not only is the kingdom Romania a short, very short intermezzo in the long history of the country. It did last only 76 years and ended 70 years ago.

Margareta and Radu are realistic. They know that they can still play a meaningful role in Romania. A Bill for a recognized status is under way in Romanian Parliament. With that Bill, any desire for a monarchy is effectively dead. After all the (republican) State of Romania recognizes the legacy of the former Royal House of Romania. They offer a bureau (Elisabeta Palace), they offer a Budget, they offer 20 staff, they offer facilitary assistance.

When that Bill has become Law, and Margareta and Radu start to be "servants" of the State, then they effectively have recognized that Romania is a republic, that the current state is the rightful successor to the Communist Peoples' Republic, which on itself is again the (unlawful) successor to the Kingdom of Romania.

And exactly that is why some "monarchists' are mordicus against Margareta and Radu, writing insulting articles with venom, poison and vinegar, almost wishing them hell, because these "monarchists" dream of a Kingdom of Romania. The short intermezzo, that 76-years old Kingdom, will never come back.

That Margareta and Radu have managed to establish a structure, an organization, a well-working communications department, an exemplaric social media exposure, even managed to make themselves relevant for the republican authorities, is really a wonder. They managed to restore Savarsin Castle in splendid state. They are now negotiating the future of Peles and Pelisor castles. It is amazing what Margareta and Radu have achieved. THEY have done that, day by day, for years, in the very heart of Romania.

THEY have put all efforts in bringing Nicholas forward. Not his mother Elena. Not his other aunts. Not his grandparents. Exactly the Margareta and Radu which are buried under vomit by some "monarchists" have introduced, guided, teached, moulded their nephew Nicholas into a promising young man with a bright future for the new Royal House. If there are any persons who have suffered a loss with Nicholas' "downfall" then it are exactly Margareta and Radu, who have invested so much in him. There is no any logic to direct all arrows on the couple.

Last edited:
I suppose that with "Nicky" you mean Nicholas? I only know that the late emperor of Russia had that nickname, but I see that Mr. Medforth Mills has it too.

I really fail to see why there is a problem with him getting married. What is the other option? He should stop living after his family denounced him?

Never mind. Not interesting. The dude has married. Ready and period. His mom or aunts can swallow it. Or not.

Indeed. For a private person. But that is not what Nicky wants to be. Or does he?

What he did is the same as "Doña Leonor informs that last month she has married Mr García". Period. Bam. Ready.

Then I would like to see the reactions in Spain and on this board.

This would be true if he didn't plan on a wedding next summer. If the funeral of his grandfather didn't happen and his name to appear on the official list, no one would have known about the civil marriage at this point. That is why I see this as no inconsistency or huge deal, just signing the marriage licence a few months earlier than the wedding, which I expect to be a big event.

This would be true if he didn't plan on a wedding next summer. If the funeral of his grandfather didn't happen and his name to appear on the official list, no one would have known about the civil marriage at this point. That is why I see this as no inconsistency or huge deal, just signing the marriage licence a few months earlier than the wedding, which I expect to be a big event.

But the point is they are married. With or without permission. No idea.
Wit or without having settled the alleged paternity case straight. No idea.
With or without have refound "the morale" Nicholas seems to lack (or not). No idea.
Well, it is Nicholas. People here almost get orgasmic about the dude. Okay. Have a party!

https://www.stiripesurse.ro/zvonuri...romaniei-s-a-casatorit-in-secret_1238086.html

Zvonurile se confirma fostul principe nicolae al romaniei s-a casatorit in secret
("Rumours are confirmed: ex-Prince Nicolae of Romania married in secret")

Last edited:
The ones that seemed to be very close during the years to Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills were his grandparents. He was very close to the King but also to the Queen.

But the point is they are married. With or without permission. No idea.
Wit or without having settled the alleged paternity case straight. No idea.
With or without have refound "the morale" Nicholas seems to lack (or not). No idea.

1) They did get permission. Both from the King and the now Custodian of the Crown as well as the parents of Mlle Binder.
2) If it is an alleged case, then why are you treating it as fact? No idea.
3) Truly no idea what this statement is supposed to mean, so cannot address it.

Further, if we wish to have a party, then why bother raining on it? :)

Firstly, I take back that Nicholas made a statement in which he said he was happy to go forward as a private citizen. He didn't. He said he would go forward finding his own way to be of service. So that's my mistake. But what his statements do show is exactly the sort of negativity and unproductiveness which I spoke of earlier.

In his initial statement after being deprived of his status, he said, "The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept. That’s why, I regretfully consider that the decision of HM the King is welcome to me. I will search in the future to serve my ideals and principles in a different way". So when the King removed him from the line of succession and reduced his status, Nicholas said he accepted that and that he found the expectations of his grandfather too difficult to live with.

And yet just 28 days ago, he said, "My statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned". This I don't believe for a second. It's clear that when his grandfather's condition worsened, he saw an opportunity to promote himself and to backtrack. He then complained that his aunt had sent him an email in which Margareta said, he was disregarding the so-called desire of the King. Well this seems pretty undeniable.

Margareta and Radu have spent years trying to find some kind of productive role in Romania, whether it be official or unofficial. Before Nicholas was born the Romanian Royal Family in exile were still continuing to do good works and to try to raise money for Romanian charities. Christmas cards from the late 1980s and 1990s would be received with hand written pleas from Queen Anne begging people to be generous because of a new cause they'd found they could help with. Margareta was very much a part of that. Suddenly, we're to overlook all of that and accept that Nicholas has been bullied and that he's being kept away from something that's rightfully his. He isn't. Even if he was back in the line of succession, which his aunt could easily arrange now, he still wont be the centre of attention. His aunt comes before him, then his mother. It seems to me that "Nicky" doesn't like being made to feel inferior.

His statements read as those of a spoiled teenager. "I tried to see my grandfather seven times and was denied". Then you don't harass your family after the first time. If it's made clear to you that they don't want you there, you don't continually return. This suggests to me that reports about his intimidating behaviour in Switzerland are true and I don't blame Margareta and Radu for calling the police. He has also said, "I am disappointed and profoundly saddened by the actions of the members of the Royal House and my mother, of the ease and lack of respect with which they effectively release to the press such aggressive, defamatory and unjustified communiqués, especially now that it would be noble to show respect and pass over who knows what personal ambitions". This is perhaps the most telling statement of all.

Margareta is now in a position where the Romanian government seems willing to push forward with it's proposals to parliament that the Royal House become an officially recognised institution in Romania with a limited role. No exiled house could ask for anything more in a modern age where restoration is very unlikely. I doubt Margareta (or King Michael for that matter) have agreed to these reforms for themselves. They had money, they had titles, they had palaces. If anything, this makes them more accountable and places more demands upon them. They clearly haven't agreed to this step without wanting to actually do something for Romania and her people. Margareta doesn't strike me as a selfish, power hungry pretender. And if she is seen that way, clearly King Michael and Queen Anne were terrible parents and failed to raise her correctly. I don't believe that to be true of Their Majesties. So when Nicholas talks of "personal ambition", is he talking of his aunt? Because in my mind, it more correctly refers to his own approach.

Here we have a young man with a history of bad choices and undignified behaviour and people still seem to expect that he put before anyone else. Why should he be on the royal train when he's caused so much hurt to his family? Why should the entire Romanian Royal Family be forced to put up with this boy and his delusions of grandeur and personal (and very public) attacks when they themselves are simply getting on with their own lives. They didn't do anything to have themselves stripped of their titles or position. Nicholas did. That may chafe with him but that's what the King wanted. He can't claim to honour his grandfather in one breath and then call the old man out on a decision he made in another. If you honour someone, you abide by their wishes. The statement last month that he never agreed to or accepted his 2015 statement is ridiculous and shows the real problem here.

He enjoys crowds calling his name. He likes being a Prince. He doesn't want to live a private life. But if he wants to get back what he had, maybe he should see the bigger picture. He could stop running to the press every five minutes, he could go about his business, he could stop attacking his family. I don't claim that the rest of the Royal Family haven't reciprocated in private but certainly in public I have seen no statement from the Custodian of the Crown or Prince Radu that deserves such bile. And what is his ultimate aim? To see Margareta and his mother ditched and himself pushed to the front?

I have no issue with his marriage. He's a private citizen, he can do as he wishes. But then to hear he's planning a "big event" smacks to me of self-aggrandising. He spoke in November about his "modest financial support" from the Royal Family. Does he now expect them to fork out for a big royal wedding to soothe his ego? Maybe there's elements to this debacle I don't know about but to me, I see a hardworking woman with decades of serving under her belt and the possibility of a better opportunity to serve her people being attacked by a very bitter young man with too much to say for himself. It's sad that at a time when we should be focused on King Michael, all talk was about Nicholas. That's hardly the way to go forward. If anyone sews negativity, it's Nicholas. I just can't see what his ultimate aim in it all is.

Maybe there's elements to this debacle I don't know about but to me, I see a hardworking woman with decades of serving under her belt and the possibility of a better opportunity to serve her people being attacked by a very bitter young man with too much to say for himself.

Yes, there are more elements that you do not know about, but it is probably best that way, because otherwise you would lose the respect that you have for Crown Princess Margarita (which I used to have, too). I could refer you to the author (who is a personal friend of mine) of a book on the King for more on the behind-the-scenes dynamics in this family, which the author witnessed and experienced first-hand. But, then again, you seem to have already made up your mind about the situation.

As I wrote before, this is a story about which there are two camps.

Was it fair what was done to him in 2015?Was it fair not to let him see his grandfather?Was it fair not to welcome him on the Royal Train yesterday?
Regarding the way the King's Family treat titles (generally not according to the Constitution of 1923) we see the example of Michael and Angelica Kreuger who were stripped of their titles of that proposed Line not only without reason but even without a statement. At least they gave a Statement about Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills even if nobody understands even today what happened in 2015.

Yes, there are more elements that you do not know about, but it is probably best that way, because otherwise you would lose the respect that you have for Crown Princess Margarita (which I used to have, too). I could refer you to the author (who is a personal friend of mine) of a book on the King for more on the behind-the-scenes dynamics in this family, which the author witnessed and experienced first-hand. But, then again, you seem to have already made up your mind about the situation.

As I wrote before, this is a story about which there are two camps.

I'm more than happy to examine things from the other side if there's credible sources available. I'm not the sort of person who closes their mind to new information because it may change my opinion.

Was it fair what was done to him in 2015?Was it fair not to let him see his grandfather?Was it fair not to welcome him on the Royal Train yesterday?
Regarding the way the King's Family treat titles (generally not according to the Constitution of 1923) we see the example of Michael and Angelica Kreuger who were stripped of their titles of that proposed Line not only without reason but even without a statement. At least they gave a Statement about Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills even if nobody understands even today what happened in 2015.

1. We don't know if it was fair because we don't know what he did. What we do know is that it was the King's wish. Nicholas whining about how unfair life is can hardly be seen as very dignified. And if it was unfair, he could tell the world why he was demoted and defend himself. He hasn't chosen to do so.

2. If his behaviour up until now had been violent/intimidating or divisive then yes, it was fair. It was a funeral. Nobody wants unpleasantness at a funeral.

1. We don't know if it was fair because we don't know what he did. What we do know is that it was the King's wish. Nicholas whining about how unfair life is can hardly be seen as very dignified. And if it was unfair, he could tell the world why he was demoted and defend himself. He hasn't chosen to do so.

2. If his behaviour up until now had been violent/intimidating or divisive then yes, it was fair. It was a funeral. Nobody wants unpleasantness at a funeral.

How can somebody defend himself if he is not accused of anything specifically?
Any proof he has ever been " violent/intimidating"?

Have you any proof he wasn’t? You can’t seriously be suggesting that King Michael removed him for no reason at all? Or that his own mother would condemn his recent behaviour if there wasn’t genuine cause?

In his initial statement after being deprived of his status, he said, "The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept. That’s why, I regretfully consider that the decision of HM the King is welcome to me. I will search in the future to serve my ideals and principles in a different way". So when the King removed him from the line of succession and reduced his status, Nicholas said he accepted that and that he found the expectations of his grandfather too difficult to live with.

And yet just 28 days ago, he said, "My statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned".

His "statement" is the press release published at the website of the Royal Family of Romania.
Comunicatul Biroului de Presă al Majestății Sale, 11 august 2015 _ Familia Regală a României _ Royal Family of Romania

Nicholas said: "My statement of August 2015 regarding the withdrawal of the title was not written by me, I was forced to accept it. I refused to sign it and until today, it remains unsigned".
This is why the "Nicholas' statement" was published only as a text/press release at the website of the Royal Family of Romania. Nicholas hadn't signed it, so they couldn't publish the statement with his signature. Margarita and Radu thought that the statement without a signature was enough, and that Nicholas would never come back to Romania again.

Nicholas said at an interview in 2016, translation at Marlene's blog
"I was asked to come back from vacation, and on the morning of August 10, I learned what was discussed and decided during the ten days of my absence, As I said the decision to revoke my title and exclude me from the succession had already been made, It did not matter if I agreed with the decision or not."
Royal Musings

Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills does not seem to believe his grandfather had anything to do with what happened in August 2015.
Until it is officially stated by authorities that a person was violent there is no proof of something like this.

Have you any proof he wasn’t? You can’t seriously be suggesting that King Michael removed him for no reason at all? Or that his own mother would condemn his recent behaviour if there wasn’t genuine cause?

Margarita, who attained Swiss citizenship earlier this year, actually dropped the complaint against her nephew. Doubt she would have done that if there had been factual evidence he truly did try to force his way inside the Aubonne home. Plus, she probably did not want to have to testify in court about it, which she was going to be required to do if she went forward with the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom