The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Romania
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Nicholas & Alina Maria de Roumanie Medforth Mills, News & Events (Jan 2018 -Current)

Arms of the Kingdom of Romania

Welcome to Nicholas and Alina Maria de Roumanie Medforth Mills' News & Events, Part 1

Commencing January 17th, 2018

A previous thread about Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

With the death of King Michael a chapter has been closed. The Romanian mod. team has therefore decided to re-organize the Romanian forum.

We have noticed that in the past we often saw the same discussion being held by the same posters in a multitude of different threads.

This can no longer continue.

Since most posters of the Romanian forum have been posting here for several years we can assume that you understand where to post what comments. Posting the same arguments in several different threads can only mean that the poster, although understanding the different topics, choses to disregard them to suit his or her own agenda.

This can no longer continue.

The Romanian mod. team would like to point out that off topic posts will be regarded as a way to further your own agenda. We therefore will DELETE each and every off topic post. You can regard this message as a notification of possible future deletions.

to help you navigate this forum, please note that:

* Posts about the relationship between the the Custodian of the Crown and Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills can be posted here.
* Posts about the paternity suit against Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills can be posted here.
* Posts about the Princely title of Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills can be posted here.
* Posts about the relationship with - and the succession rights of the house of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen can be posted here.
* Posts about the succession rights of other descendants of King Carol II can be posted here.
* Posts about the future and possible restoration of the Romanian monarchy can be posted here.
* Posts about the title of "Custodian of the Crown" can be posted here.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the moderators of the Romanian forum.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nicholas at his Facebook today
"Today, 26 January, the most important person in my life, Alina-Maria Binder, reaches the age of 30 years. I wish her much health, smiles every day, and desires fulfilled..."
https://www.facebook.com/nicolaealro...type=3&theater
Old 01-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

Nicholas and Alina are returning to Romania this weekend. They had till this time maintained homes in London and Henley. Now, they will make their permanent residence in Romania.

The couple were married in a civil ceremony in October 2017 at Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Their religious wedding will take place in September 2018 in Romania.

The new Harry and Meghan? Meet the British 'Geordie prince' who's next in line to Romania's throne
Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

So, Nicholas married either in the last few days of his grandfather's life or just after he passed away so he could take Alina with him to the funeral? While I understand thst he wanted her with him, the timing seems inappropriate.

Did they share the exact wedding date?

And why is he still calling her Alina-Maria Binder? Foes that mean that she doesn't (intend to) share(s) his surname (and titles he most likely is after)?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
So, Nicholas married either in the last few days of his grandfather's life or just after he passed away so he could take Alina with him to the funeral? While I understand thst he wanted her with him, the timing seems inappropriate.

Did they share the exact wedding date?

And why is he still calling her Alina-Maria Binder? Foes that mean that she doesn't (intend to) share(s) his surname (and titles he most likely is after)?
The date if the civil marriage was not known. She will have his Surname too.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

So, if she is to use his surname, why does her own husband still call her by her maiden name after they got married? That doesn't add up.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Royal Highness

Firstly, it is the author of the article who refers to her by her maiden name. Nicholas simply calls her by her first name.

Some women do not take their husband's surname. Another possibility is that she wishes to wait until after the religious wedding to take his surname. She was named by the Royal House on the funeral guest list as "doamna Nicolae de Roumanie Medforth-Mills."

Therefore, it may be that she will only use his name on social occasions, and retain her maiden name while in professional life. Time will tell.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
So, if she is to use his surname, why does her own husband still call her by her maiden name after they got married? That doesn't add up.

Also, many women in Europe do not take their husband's name.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

I was referring to this message that referenced Nicholas's own facebook (so it was him not someone else using 'Binder' as her surname) not to an article. However, it seems that he is using her maiden name because that is the name she uses on Facebook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Nicholas at his Facebook today
"Today, 26 January, the most important person in my life, Alina-Maria Binder, reaches the age of 30 years. I wish her much health, smiles every day, and desires fulfilled..."
https://www.facebook.com/nicolaealro...type=3&theater
Old 01-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Also, many women in Europe do not take their husband's name.
I don't think Europe can be generalized in this respect as naming traditions are compketely different amog countries.

Nonetheless, I am aware of women taking different decisions, so I was mainly surprised about the inconsistencies. Nicholas using her maiden name while people insist that she will be sharing his surname. If so, the moment to start doing so would be the civil marriage.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think Europe can be generalized in this respect as naming traditions are compketely different amog countries.

Nonetheless, I am aware of women taking different decisions, so I was mainly surprised about the inconsistencies. Nicholas using her maiden name while people insist that she will be sharing his surname. If so, the moment to start doing so would be the civil marriage.
At least he uses also his spouse maiden name and not invent titles or surnames.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
At least he uses also his spouse maiden name and not invent titles or surnames.
You mean like yourself referring to him as 'Prince Nicholas' for years on these forums, after the King decreed it so? Selective reasoning and fleeting allegiances is so very passé, don't you think?

People referring to others incorrectly when writing articles or speaking is nothing new, it happens in every monarchy and probably even more so in former monarchies, where references are usually made based on your own preference and level of respect, not what is custom and recognized protocol. I'm quite sure that as a bride of someone belonging to a former royal family fighting for recognition, she will take her husbands surname, but it might be a matter of waiting for the religious ceremony or the process or reconciliation within the Royal Family etc.

For now, they're Nicholas and Alina to many, although I must say, most of my friends use the titular principele Nicolae, and will probably continue to do so, if he keeps up his work and continues to improve his position in Romania. One can only hope that he reconciles with the Royal Family and that he is recognized as the heir following his aunts generation, so the family is renewed and comes together for a common purpose and in a positive way.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

The use of Alina-Maria Binder in Nicholas's FaceBook post was because it was a link to her account - that is the name used there.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
The use of Alina-Maria Binder in Nicholas's FaceBook post was because it was a link to her account - that is the name used there.
That's what I found out later that same day as well, see my second last post.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Couple make a Photoshoot in Bucharest back October.

https://www.profimedia.cz/similar/362636805
Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Majesty

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful couple!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Wow! Wonderful photos! I guess its David Niviere who did all these gorgeous photos!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Majesty

Is Alina Maria wearing a regional costume in some of them?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Her regional costume is really lovely.