King Michael's Younger Daughters: Elena, Irina, Sofia & Maria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you suppose Elisabeta Karina de Roumanie Medforth Mills and Elisabeta Maria Biarneix will ever accept to take the role of Nicholas after what happened in august 2015?

Anything is possible, but I would caution against accepting such an offer - it seems all too easy for the role/style/title etc to be given, taken away and in some cases reinstated.

I think things will be left as they currently are until the king dies and then Margarita can decide what to do.

I don't trust King Michael's daughters either !
Low key Education , low key weddings, divorces etc...

Sad end for the Family...

I don't trust King Michael's daughters either !
Low key Education , low key weddings, divorces etc...

It is rather well known (and written about) that Michael and Anne were involved with Frank Buchman;s group on Moral re-armament. They sent their kids to boarding schools in the UK (only Margarita went to uni), fees paid by friends, limited contact, a rather isolated upbringing on different levels. Apart from close cousins, no meetings with other royals. All had to earn their own way. It was only way they knew how to raise kids. Anne talked a little bit about it in her memoirs.

We all see the consequences now...

It is rather well known (and written about) that Michael and Anne were involved with Frank Buchman;s group on Moral re-armament. They sent their kids to boarding schools in the UK (only Margarita went to uni), fees paid by friends, limited contact, a rather isolated upbringing on different levels. Apart from close cousins, no meetings with other royals. All had to earn their own way. It was only way they knew how to raise kids. Anne talked a little bit about it in her memoirs.
And I believe that both of Anne's parents worked as well. In the documentary "A Royal Family" Anne shared a little story of her mother selling CP Martha of Norway's hat to another lady at the NYC shop she was working in before WWII. ;) From what I've read they led a fairly modest family life. Anne even volunteered during WWII with the French Foreign Legion as a driver.

It seems to me that Michael and Anne were raising their daughters to be independent adults who just happened to have connections in the royal world rather than as Princesses of Romania. At that point in time, who could have guessed that the post WWII communist dictatorships would end and that the former royal families of Romania, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia would be permitted to visit their homelands again?

We have not discussed a Very Important Person... the mother of Nicholas: Princess Elena. It must also have been a severe blow for her and are mothers not usually defending their children like lionesses?

I always found it very remarkable that Nicholas was always and ever pictured with aunt Margaretha and uncle Radu. Seldom or never with his mother and sister. This while his mother, a royalborn Princess of Romania, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, still was before him in the line of succession, which was sometimes overlooked.

Now her son has fallen out. Her daughter has no any position, is no Princess but suddenly holds the future of the House? I really wonder how Princess Elena feels about all this? To the left or to the right, her son, a guy I slowly felt appreciation for, has been harmed. Undoubtedly. Her son. Humiliated maybe, rumours are now spreading. There goes her boy's good reputation...

I fear that when King Michael and Queen Anne have left the world, the four sisters will collide with each other. It already seems a family with some disfunctionalities to me.

They were already disfunctionalites between Queen Anne and her Brothers ,Princes of Bourbon Parme. No show up at her wedding , only a Member of the Danish Royal Family as her Mother was born Princess of Denmark.
So as MarleneK wrote for the 5 daughters no meeting with other royals.

Will ever Princess Elena change the decision of her father?

They were already disfunctionalites between Queen Anne and her Brothers ,Princes of Bourbon Parme. No show up at her wedding , only a Member of the Danish Royal Family as her Mother was born Princess of Denmark.
So as MarleneK wrote for the 5 daughters no meeting with other royals.
I believe that Catholic members of her family did not attend because the Pope did not give permission for the couple to wed in a Romanian Orthodox ceremony.

I believe that Catholic members of her family did not attend because the Pope did not give permission for the couple to wed in a Romanian Orthodox ceremony.

Exactly!The ceremony was Greek Orthodox.

However, as we know, the King and Queen were able to marry in a Catholic ceremony in Monaco in 1966.

They both seemed to appreciate the intimacy of this second religious marriage.

One would think so.

Preferably Princess Margarita would take the initiative, but that will depend on how much freedom of action she will have when His Majesty leaves us.

One would think so.

Preferably Princess Margarita would take the initiative, but that will depend on how much freedom of action she will have when His Majesty leaves us.

Why do you suppose she would do that?

The only Princess who was with the King the days he decided...

The only Princess who was with the King the days he decided...

Do you really believe that this Princess has much of a say in what happens in the Royal House right now?

To be fair, she was with the King, but she was not pictured at the meeting...but someone else was.

If this Princess is gifted with the long lifespans of her parents, then maybe more of her character will be able to shine through once she alone is at the helm.

I know perfectly what you mean.

Exactly!The ceremony was Greek Orthodox.
Thank you for clarifying Cory. The Pope was apparently annoyed that the last Catholic princess Giovanna of Savoy to marry an Orthodox king Boris III of Bulgaria disregarded the stipulation that any children of the marriage would be raised as Catholics. He didn't want to see the same happen with a Catholic Anne and an Orthodox Michael. Apparently Anne's mother Margarethe pounded her fist on the table during the discussions with the Vatican to express her annoyance.

Last edited:

If princess Elena ever becomes the Head of the Royal Family. She is only less than three years younger than crown princess Margarita. Anything can happen.

The Princesses Elena, Irina, Sofia and Maria as well their children, apart from Nicholas, are almost invisible. I can not see how these people, with such very low key public profile and awareness can ever become a visible and wellknown chef of the House... Besides the original line of succession only Nicholas was a credible successor.

A possibility: Alexander, the Hereditary Prince von Hohenzollern, marrying Elisabeta-Karina de Roumanie Medforth-Mills (sister of Nicholas).

Doubt Alexander would be interested in Karina--and vice versa. The latter is a private British citizen and would be unlikely to wish to play a role in all of this. It would be more beneficial for Michael or Margarita to reinstate Nicholas, and then have Nicholas of Romania wed Philippa of Hohenzollern.

Doubt Alexander would be interested in Karina--and vice versa. The latter is a private British citizen and would be unlikely to wish to play a role in all of this. It would be more beneficial for Michael or Margarita to reinstate Nicholas, and then have Nicholas of Romania wed Philippa of Hohenzollern.

A wedding of HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania, son of a Princess von Hohenzollern with HRH Princess Philippa von Hohenzollern (or her sisters) would have been a perfect scenario.

But first removing Nicholas from the line of succession, revoking his title and style, let him marry with Princess Philippa, return to the line of succession, reïnstating in his titles... really, that would become the ultimate vaudeville.

:ermm:

King Michael's Younger Daughters: Elena, Irina, Sofia & Maria

A wedding of HRH Prince Nicholas of Romania, son of a Princess von Hohenzollern with HRH Princess Philippa von Hohenzollern (or her sisters) would have been a perfect scenario.

But first removing Nicholas from the line of succession, revoking his title and style, let him marry with Princess Philippa, return to the line of succession, reïnstating in his titles... really, that would become the ultimate vaudeville.

:ermm:

Ultimate vaudeville yes but still nothing against the soap operaesque life of King Carol II. His and the life of his siblings and parents sometimes put even the Borgias to shame.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Wonderful to see Princess Maria out and about. Is she sporting a little tattoo on her pulse?

Why did she come back to Roumania this year. She has before a private and free life.

Maybe the family is closing ranks and showing an united face ?

It is really too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom