King Michael severs links with the House of Hohenzollern, May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory

Heir Apparent
City
Kingdom
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
On the 10th of May 2011 King Mihai I issued a royal decree with which all the hystoric and dynastic links with the Hohenzollern Family are over.The Dynasty will be called only "of Romania" and no member of the Royal Family will have the right to bear the title of Prince/Princess of Hohenzollern.Only the Head of the Romanian Royal Family can confer titles to the members of it.The Fundamental Laws of the Royal Family will registrate this change and any reference to the Hohenzollern surname will dissapear.

Familia Regala - Activitati curente

I do not see any link with "his half-brother's son".It is only a confirmation of Kinf Ferdinand's desires.

Zizi Lambrino's grandson critisizes the decision of HM King Mihai I saying he does not understand it:

Prin

Exactly!But the decree of HM King Mihai I is just a consequence of what happened during the first world war.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are right.

I believe Paul and his half brother style themselves " of Romania" already.

Paul's half-brother has never called himself "of Romania" but "Hohenzollern".
The romanian Royal Family has anyhow no link with Zizi Lambrino's grandchildren.
Today decision will be surely much applauded by the Romanians.

This important decree was signed by the King today at 10.30 a.m. in the presence of a part of the members of the Romanian Royal Family, some legal advisers and counselors of the Sovereign.

Antena3 Tv (maybe the most watched news tv in Romania) announced the decree of the King and the end of the links between the Romanian Royal Family and the Hohenzollerns:

Videonews :: Video :: Casa Regal

The main Romanian newspapers announce with joy the hystoric decision of the King:

http://www.cotidianul.ro/145216-Reg...istorice-si-dinastice-cu-Casa-de-Hohenzollern

Regele Mihai I a rupt leg

Regele Mihai a rupt leg?turile cu casa de Hohenzollern Sigmaringen | Jurnalul National

Regele Mihai anun

The lawer of the Royal House explains the decision is formal and has nothing to do with the Succession to the Throne , explaining the decree underlines the members of the Royal Family are Romanians and have nothing to do with a Principality dissapeared in the XIXth century:

Motivul pentru care Casa Regala a Romaniei a rupt legatura cu Hohenzollern www.stirileprotv.ro

King Mihai breaks dynastic bond with House of Hohenzollern=

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/romanias-former-king-michael-ends-ties-german-hohenzollern-145809483.html

http://www.mediafax.ro/english/king...nounces-ties-to-house-of-hohenzollern-8257611

http://www.romania-insider.com/king...nastic-bond-with-house-of-hohenzollern/23306/

http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2011/05/michael-ends-dynastic-link-with.html

Breaking of Romanian Links with the Hohenzollerns | The Royal Universe

I think perhaps then this is similar to the decision of the UK's King George V in the 1920s changing the surname of his family from Saxe Coburgh Gotha to that of Windsor.

HM the King can cut off his personal links with them, but he is still a member of the House of Hohenzollern (genealogy can't be cut off, can it?)
The King is still their legitimate agnate.

The decree of HM King Mihai I was very clear:the Romanian Royal Family (not only Him as a person) has nothing to do anymore with the Hohenzollerns.

The historian Filip Lucian Iorga underlines that the decree of the King could find a reason also in the behaviour of Prince Karl von Hohenzollern who has links with Paul (Zizi Lambrino's grandson), saying the Princely House of Hohenzollern is in "shadowed period" due to the nowadays Head of it and the Romanian Royal House is respected and honoured by all the Royal Families ( and it must not remained link with the House now guided by Prince Karl):

Filip-Lucian Iorga :

The Prince of Hohenzollern's spokesman sustains the Princely House was not informed in an official way of the decision of King Mihai I and fount out from the press .The Princely House of Hohenzollern doesn't seem to give importance to this event:

Casa de Hohenzollern: Nu am fost informa

Casa de Hohenzollern: Nu am fost informati oficial de decizia Regelui Mihai I, am aflat informatia din presa - Esential - HotNews.ro

Paul's half-brother has never called himself "of Romania" but "Hohenzollern".
The romanian Royal Family has anyhow no link with Zizi Lambrino's grandchildren.
Today decision will be surely much applauded by the Romanians.

Well...you didn't see this then...

HRH Prince Paul of Romania

I for one I don't understand that
They are Hohenzollerns from origins, why to renegate that:ohmy:?
If I will stated that from today I am not longer cousin to my blood cousins it meens that from tomorrow they will be not my cousins anymore???:ermm:
To not say that in Romania to say that you have german blood it is something that give you some credit . Not bad at all.
That stament will not make Prince Nicolae more Romanian than he is. It is a mistake in my opinion.

It is only a confirmation of a decision of King Ferdinand I from 1921.

It is a rather symbolical event because the Romanian Royal House has now nothing to do with the Hohenzollerns.

Which is the reason of this step announced by HM King Mihai I? The not too friendly relations with the Hohenzollern Princes indicated by the Romanian Constitution of 1923 as possible Successors to the Throne of Romania or the interview of HSH Prince Karl where he disagreed with his own father about a possible title for Princess Margareta of Romania's husband? HSH Prince Karl of Hohenzollern, Head of the Princely House of Hohenzollern and, according to the Constitution of 1923, theoretical Heir to the Romanian dynastic rights, is well known for his opposition to Princess Margareta of Romania's husband "title of Prince of Hohenzollern-Veringen":

Karl Friedrich de Hohenzollern: "Titlul de Hohenzollern al lui Radu Duda este o farsa"

Could we compare the decision of HM the King with what King George V of the UK did in 1917?

If I were named Hohenzollern, I'd want to keep the name- it's pretty blue-blooded.

(I also liked it that so many different countries were/are ruled by members of the same family--unfortunate to cut those links, but since the Hohenzollerns don't rule Germany any more, it matters less.)

I think it can better be compared by the decision of King Albert I of the Belgians that the titles of Prince (Princess) of Sachsen-Coburg and Gotha, Duke (Duchess) of Saxony will no longer be used. And it can also be compared with the decision of Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg that the title Prince (Princess) de Bourbon de Parme is no longer used. This can be reverted, in the Luxembourgian case the Grand Duke and his Heir have decided to use the title Prince de Bourbon de Parme again, not in daily use but as part of their full titulature.

King Michael may order that the title Prince von Hohenzollern may no longer be used, that does not exclude that his four daughters are rightful daughters of a born Prince von Hohenzollern and have the right to use the title Princess von Hohenzollern.

Exact like Grand Duke George of Russia is a Prince of Prussia as well, because his father is a Prince of Prussia... He seems no to use that title but he is very much 100% a Prince of Prussia as King Michael is very much 100% a Prince von Hohenzollern...

Princess Margareta was born as a Princess of Hohenzollern and at the beginning I suppose even her official surname was like this.
The decision could be linked to the importance of being Romanians because even today some argue the daughters of the King are not Romanians. The truth is that only Princess Margareta speaks a quite good Romanian.

Last edited:
Well...you didn't see this then...

HRH Prince Paul of Romania

I for one I don't understand that
They are Hohenzollerns from origins, why to renegate that:ohmy:?
If I will stated that from today I am not longer cousin to my blood cousins it meens that from tomorrow they will be not my cousins anymore???:ermm:
To not say that in Romania to say that you have german blood it is something that give you some credit . Not bad at all.
That stament will not make Prince Nicolae more Romanian than he is. It is a mistake in my opinion.

Just curious as to why you feel this is a mistake?

Just curious as to why you feel this is a mistake?

For me it feels as unneccessary and what is the purpose? Why to hide that you belong to one of the grandest and most illustrious European dynasties which delivered Princes, Kürfürsten (Electors), Kings, Emperors, Russian Grand Dukes even (Grand Duke George at the moment). I think being a Prince (Princess) von Hohenzollern, aside of Romania, only adds to the stature and dignity of the House of Romania. As this "renounciation" has no any effect on the succession, it was totally unneccessary in my humble opinion.

What is wrong with: HRH Princess Margarita of Romania, Princess of Hohenzollern?

For me it feels as unneccessary and what is the purpose? Why to hide that you belong to one of the grandest and most illustrious European dynasties which delivered Princes, Kürfürsten (Electors), Kings, Emperors, Russian Grand Dukes even (Grand Duke George at the moment). I think being a Prince (Princess) von Hohenzollern, aside of Romania, only adds to the stature and dignity of the House of Romania. As this "renounciation" has no any effect on the succession, it was totally unneccessary in my humble opinion.

What is wrong with: HRH Princess Margarita of Romania, Princess of Hohenzollern?

I happen to like the sound of it!

Perhaps HM wanted to reiterate that he feels that the CP was his heir, and the eventual headship of Prince Nicolae as his desires? I also think, after reading his decree, that the split was because he assumes or thinks that P Karl might rise up out of the wood work, and stake claim of head of house from the CP who is for sure capable?

I see both sides, but I am not sure how this will go.

I am surprised that the king didn't take something to the court to have it recognized, as "prince" Paul Hohenzollern did.

If they can legitimize him, then they should surely recognize the kings wishes (for or against). Romania does not need to be a monarchy to state whether or not they agree with the king.

A Tribunal has nothing to do with these issues in Romania.

Which would be the real cause of this gesture?

Maybe today we can understand better what followed 2007. Obviously the advisers of the Sovereign did try to avoid the envolvment of the Hohenzollerns in the future in Romania. I really doubt now this gesture helped in any way.

Obviosly HH Prince Karl was right and more and more people see it clearly now.

After the first world war the Princes of Hohenzollern were very close to King Ferdinand again and this continue with Carol II and with his brother. King Michael changed his mind only in recent years regarding the House of his forefathers.

Which would be the real cause of this gesture?

No idea. Perhaps you know? You were heavily in favor of the gesture when it happened as you indicated that King Michael was merely carrying out the wishes of King Ferdinand.

The ties with the Hohenzollerns were severed for two things:

- the sharp criticism by the Fürst von Hohenzollern on King Michael allowing his son-in-law being addressed as "Prince of Hohenzollern-Veringen".

- the wish by King Michael to change the succession in favour of his daughters and therefore shoving aside the constitutional heirs: the Hohenzollerns.

What was the position of the German branch of the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family during the two world wars? Did they support the German Empire against Romania in WWI and what was their attitude to King Michael's decision to join the Allies in 1944?

I know that Wilhelm II had Ferdinand's name erased from the Hohenzollern register but wonder what was the attitude of the Sigmaringen branch?

Last edited:
After the first world war the Princes of Hohenzollern were very close to King Ferdinand again and this continue with Carol II and with his brother. King Michael changed his mind only in recent years regarding the House of his forefathers.

Thank you Cory. I know about King Michael's change of mind but my question was what about during the war and during World War II? Did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support the German Empire and the Third Reich, or not?

The dialogue between King Mihai and his relatives the Princes of Hohenzollern continued during the second world war but I can' t know the real feelings of the Catholic Hohenzollerns towards the third Reich.

The dialogue between King Mihai and his relatives the Princes of Hohenzollern continued during the second world war but I can' t know the real feelings of the Catholic Hohenzollerns towards the third Reich.

With no concrete examples to clarify or support the claim, I'm not sure how to interpret what 'dialogue' means here. Israel and Palestine have 'dialogue' and so do Norway and Sweden.

Did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support the Kaiser's decision to erase King Ferdinand from the Hohenzollern family register?
Were Ferdinand's living (and maybe future) descendants also erased from the register?
Was he/Were they ever officially reinstated? When?
Did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support the German Empire against Romania in World War I?

In World War II, irrespective of their feelings towards the ideology of nazism, did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support King Michael's 1944 decision to declare war against Germany or did they support Germany against Romania?

Thanks to anyone who can provide a clear answer.

The fact that the descendants of King Ferdinand all were (are) Prince or Princess von Hohenzollern seems to indicate that it did not affect them. I also wonder if the Chef of the Brandenburgische Linie (Wilhelm II) could erase a descendant from the Schwäbische Linie (Ferdinand). I believe Wilhelm had no say in that.

With no concrete examples to clarify or support the claim, I'm not sure how to interpret what 'dialogue' means here. Israel and Palestine have 'dialogue' and so do Norway and Sweden.

Did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support the Kaiser's decision to erase King Ferdinand from the Hohenzollern family register?
Were Ferdinand's living (and maybe future) descendants also erased from the register?
Was he/Were they ever officially reinstated? When?
Did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support the German Empire against Romania in World War I?

In World War II, irrespective of their feelings towards the ideology of nazism, did the Catholic Hohenzollerns support King Michael's 1944 decision to declare war against Germany or did they support Germany against Romania?

Thanks to anyone who can provide a clear answer.

After the first world war King Ferdinand met again very many times his Hohenzollern relatives and the Hohenzollerns were present at Family events in Romania.

After the first world war King Ferdinand met again very many times his Hohenzollern relatives and the Hohenzollerns were present at Family events in Romania.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Cory, but it doesn't really answer my questions.

Well, King Michael does not consider himself and his offspring a Hohenzollern anymore...

I'm puzzled; this posts of yours suggests that there were cordial relationships between King Ferdinand and his Hohenzollern relatives after the War.
So I wonder - just like others have wondered before me - what was the exact meaning of your posts, where you referred to King Ferdinand wishes and decisions taken after World War I that were eventually carried out by King Michael in 2011 with his decision to sever the links with the House of Hohenzollern?

I really doubt the decision of King Michael has anything to do with the past.

I presumed at that time that the decision was linked with what happened during the first workd war. I suppose it is pretty obvious now it was not the case.

Let's hope the relationships between the King's Family and the Hohenzollerns will be close again.

Why did the King want a Hohenzollern title for his son in law and after that he gave up his own membership of the Hohenzollern House?

So it is obvious what really caused the decision of the King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom