King Michael and the late Queen Anne current events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM the King greeted the people wanted to congratulate him for His birthday at Elisabeta today. The Sovereign will meet today the new president Klaus Iohannis too.

HM the King greeted the people wanted to congratulate him for His birthday at Elisabeta today. The Sovereign will meet today the new president Klaus Iohannis too.

Video, Klaus Iohannis arrived to Elisabeta Palace and was welcomed by crown princess Margarita and prince Radu.
VIDEO. Regele Mihai I, sărbătorit la Palatul Elisabeta. Klaus Iohannis va participa la un prânz privat

Photos, Iohannis gave flowers to Margarita.
http://www.mediafaxfoto.ro/Thumb.aspx?size=600&photoId=7144527
http://www.mediafaxfoto.ro/Thumb.aspx?size=600&photoId=7144526

Last edited:
HM the King, HRH Princess Margareta and her husband had a private lunch with the elected president Klaus Iohannis. The mayor of Sibiu (and future president ) invited HM the King and HM the Queen at his ceremony of becoming president on the 21st of December.

Last edited:
It warms my heart to see these images and learn the news. Firstly, because it helps to set history straight -history in general but also HM King Michael's place in it, going some way to compensate for all the injustice he has suffered in his life. Secondly because it shows how easy and natural it can be for a political leader and a monarch to co-exist in an atmosphere of mutual respect for two very different rôles. It reminds me of the ritual of the UK Prime Minister visiting the Queen following an election victory: the electorate's choice marking his/her assumption of power and simultaneously recognising that his/her period of custody of is part of something bigger in the life of the state/people, as represented by the Monarch.

It is to be hoped that a better relationship between the Royal HOuse and the Presidency, as underlined by the invitation to the palace and the new President's noble gestures further the cause of re-establishing the Romanian Royal House in the life of the state.

A really historic event indeed.

Last edited:
What a great day! I'm not sure what more one could want- having the President come to pay a visit, while living in a royal palace, with lots of admirers. King Michael is such a great person that he deserves nothing less!

Thank you all for the photos, articles and videos. I wonder if King Michael is still amazed at times for the reception that he receives in Romania now.

The Message of His Majesty King Michael I to mark a quarter of a century since the Fall of Communism Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania

Mesajul Regelui Mihai I la un sfert de veac de la Căderea Comunismului, Palatul Parlamentului, 20 noiembrie 2014 Familia Regală a României Royal Family of Romania

Klaus Iohannis writes at his Facebook about "An emotional meeting with the Royal Family"
He says that the Royal Family's presence at public events in recent years show that the romanians show admiration and gratitude for their efforts.
He hopes that the Romanian nation will see the Royal Family still as a source of pride, identity and continuity. He also says that some media reports claimed yesterday that he invited king Michael to his investiture ceremony. He has not addressed such an invitation simply because it is not done like that. Such an invitation is not addressed to His Majesty the King and not at a private breakfast. An invitation to the ceremony of investiture in Parliament will be sent to the protocol of the Royal House, which will appoint a representative to attend the ceremony.
O întâlnire emoționantă cu Familia Regală Facebook

Last edited:
Mr Iohannis respects too much HM the King in order to make such a mistake as inviting the Sovereign to something like that.

Last edited:
Why would it be improper to invite the King to the president's installation?

It means to recognize fully the republic while the Monarchy has never been legally abolished.

King Michael should go; it's an honor to be invited.

Plus, being a good sport about the President- who seems to like King Michael- is wise.

Why doesn't Romania do like Montenegro did and give its royal family a royal title and official duties and a salary- a royal family within a republic? That seems like the best option in the circumstances. Maybe the new President could do that?

HM the King receives a sort of pension from the state but there is no comparison with Montenegro.

It means to recognize fully the republic while the Monarchy has never been legally abolished.
Well, it seems to me that the Republican government has been widely recognized over the years by the King and his family.
Aren't they citizens of the republic of Romania? Doesn't the king receive an allowance paid by the republic of Romania? Didn't he negotiate with the republican government to have his properties restored? And last but not least, didn't he accept an invitation by the Parliament of the republic of Romania to attend a session of the Parliament to celebrate the King's birthday in 2011?
Al this suggests that the republic has already been fully recognized by King Michael.

Agreed. It seems like there'd be a lot more to gain for King Michael by getting along with the republic than by acting if it's not legitimate.

As much as I'd like to see him restored to full power, as it saddens to me see anyone's life messed up by evil Communism, he has a pretty good deal going these days, and he could improve it only with allies in government.

I can't see any US President being thrilled if a member of the British Royal Family continued to live in a royal residence in the US, held official functions there, called himself king and acted like a king.

Well, it seems to me that the Republican government has been widely recognized over the years by the King and his family.
Aren't they citizens of the republic of Romania? Doesn't the king receive an allowance paid by the republic of Romania? Didn't he negotiate with the republican government to have his properties restored? And last but not least, didn't he accept an invitation by the Parliament of the republic of Romania to attend a session of the Parliament to celebrate the King's birthday in 2011?
Al this suggests that the republic has already been fully recognized by King Michael.

HM the King has always stated the republic was not proclaimed in a legal way in Romania even if he continues to have normal relations with the government and the political class.

One thing is to say that the republic was proclaimed in an illegal way sixty-seven years ago (which is something beyond any discussion). A very different thing is to say that the King now doesn't recognize the republican government in Romania; many elements show that - at least as a matter of fact - the King does recognize the republican government. The fact that he "continues to have normal relations with the government and the political class" (to use your words) clearly shows that he has accepted that the republican system is ruling over Romania.
If he didn't, he wouldn't have accepted an invitation from its parliament three years ago, just to make an example.

The Parliament and the government are present both in the republic and Monarchy. The relations with the president that ends now his mandate were practically very rare indeed in the last 10 years. The participation of HM the King or of the members of the Royal Family at events organized by the Parliament would be completely different from attending the ceremony of inauguration of a new president.

Last edited:
So basically, if I have correctly understood, accepting an invitation from the (republican) parliament of the repubic of Romania is fine and doesn't imply recognizing the republican regime while accepting an invitation from the president of Romania isn't fine and implies recognizing the republican regime, because during the monarchical regime Romania already had a parliament.
But aren't the President of Romania and the current Parliament both public authorithies disciplined by Title III of the Constitution of Romania of 1991 (as amended in 2003)?
So is it really so different accepting an invitation from the one or from the other, in terms of recognizing the current republican form of government?

I suppose the difference as well as the attitude of the Sovereign in this matter are both quite subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom