King Michael and the late Queen Anne current events

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Due West: Long live the King! | Columnists | RIA Novosti
King Mihai was a real participant in and even an architect of historic events. He lunched with Hitler and drank tea with Mussolini, received the Soviet Order of Victory from Stalin and almost single-handedly stood up to him just a few months later. This year King Mihai will celebrate his 90th birthday.
Having met quite a few representatives of modern royalty, I have never met anyone even remotely similar in attitude and style. King Mihai looks and sounds regal, yet he is very unpretentious and straightforward. I suspect it is because, as opposed to most modern royals, he has wielded real power and had to take life and death decisions. “Faith in God provides essential meaning to my life,” the king told me once. “It helped me to overcome doubts in crisis moments, of which there were quite a few.”

King Michael really is the best of the best, as his quotations in the article in the prior post show (versus the filth that the President of Romania is saying about him).

Even the minister of foreign affairs, Baconschi, asked to everybody to respect the institution of Monarchy.Do not forget he is a close friend of Traian Basescu.

One sidenote:

I see from these threads that the Royal Family:

(1) Lives in a palace
(2) Must have plenty of money, with all of these fancy parties, trips, etc.
(3) Constantly welcomes other royalty for visits- from Prince Charles to the Prince of Liechtenstein
(4) Takes part in all sorts of activities around Romania

Why WOULD King Michael want the monarchy restored? He and his family have leisurely, lavish lives far better than mine, and there's no downside- from what I can tell, they don't have to work (no government meetings, no official job requirements, etc.).

Isn't being a non-reigning Royal Family the best situation of all?

The Royal Family is not really rich...

Do they receive some public money from the Romanian government?

HM King Mihai I receives a pension from the state but the Royal Family must pay for all the needs of Elisabeta Palace.

Sidenote: Where was King Michael educated? I find it strange that there's no mention that he went to college--but back in the 1930s, royalty was perhaps just educated by private tutors?

Also, how did he learn such good English-while living in the UK years ago, or before?

He was educated in Romania and he had learnt English since childhood.

One sidenote:

I see from these threads that the Royal Family:

(1) Lives in a palace
(2) Must have plenty of money, with all of these fancy parties, trips, etc.
(3) Constantly welcomes other royalty for visits- from Prince Charles to the Prince of Liechtenstein
(4) Takes part in all sorts of activities around Romania

Why WOULD King Michael want the monarchy restored? He and his family have leisurely, lavish lives far better than mine, and there's no downside- from what I can tell, they don't have to work (no government meetings, no official job requirements, etc.).

Isn't being a non-reigning Royal Family the best situation of all?

IIRC King Michael lives mostly in Switzerland where he was forced after his forced abdication. They got some rights back regarding Savarstin estate and the Elisabeta palace. Where the King stay occassionaly.
The Elisabeta Palace is more of a big mansion than a palace. It was built for the King's aunt, Queen Elisabeta of Greece. She loaned it to the King (IIRC) after the Royal Palace in Bucharest was bombed by the Nazis after the August 1944 coup.

They were only allowed to leave Romania with a few personal items at December 1947.
The King worked for a living to support his family. (Princess Ileana describes in her book how guards watched them pack for their exile, not allowing them to take a lot of personal items). They only bought their property in Switzerland with help from Queen Anne's brother, and later with help from the paintings Queen Helen sold. She took the 2 (??) paintings out of Romania in 1947 and later sold it with help from King Gustaf from Sweden. (The current King's grandfather).
Queen Helen had her villa in Italy which she bought from money after she sold the Maimai coastal villa in Romania (she got from Queen Marie) to the government in the late 1920's/early 1930's.

Maybe the government of Romania gives them money to welcome foreign Royal house members in Romania. The King now receives a pension from the Romanian government.

I think it would be great to be Monarch of Romania again. Then they can formalise what they are already doing. (working for the best of Romania).

I wonder when agreements regarding Peles, Pelisor and Foisor villa/castles will be finalised.

Sidenote: Where was King Michael educated? I find it strange that there's no mention that he went to college--but back in the 1930s, royalty was perhaps just educated by private tutors?

Also, how did he learn such good English-while living in the UK years ago, or before?

After 1930 King Michael's father King Carol decided that Michael should receive schooling in a room in the Royal Palace with certain children that were thosen from selected families. So he never received formal college education. By the time he was old enough for college, World War II broke out.
His grandmother, Queen Marie was first language English speaking being born a Princess of England. His mother, Queen Helen, spoke English perfectly. Back then a lot of Royal nannies came from England, whilst girls also normally had a French tutor or a French governess.

King Michael and Queen Anne also stayed in England in the early 1950's where they ran a chicken farm. They got chickens from the eccentric Princess Margaret of Denmark (and Bourbon-Parma).
Also King Michael worked for an American aviation company (in Switzerland) as a test pilot.

Last edited:
On the 25th of October,HM King Mihai I's birthday, there will be a special concert in honour of the Romanian Sovereign at the Romanian Opera(on the 24th of october another concert will be hosted by the Atheneum ):

Regele Mihai va fi aniversat, printr-un concert la Opera Român

http://www.gandul.info/news/cadou-l...-de-gala-la-opera-nationala-bucuresti-8692792

HM King Mihai I is in very good relations with Hm King Konstantinos II of Greece (his first cousin), with HM King Simeon II of Bulgaria and with HRH Crown Prince alexander of Serbia ( his second cousin).

Royal Musings: King Michael of Romania

Royal Musings: King Michael - a photo display

Last edited by a moderator:
Is King Michael friends with other Balkan monarchs? I'd think that since he and the kings of Bulgaria and Greece have gone through similar challenges, they'd have a lot in common and would be friends.

Or is there animosity between Romania and at least Bulgaria, given past territorial changes between the two?

King Mihai: "I cannot ever forgive Churchill, who threw us to the Russians?
Neither Hitler nor Mussolini ever imagined that that young, inexperienced monarch could change the course of the Second World War with a coup. Or at least to shorten the carnage by six months, El Pais writes about King Mihai after a visit to his residence, according to Adevarul.
[...]
But during the long years in exile, Mihai was always bothered by what he deems as treason of the West and especially of British leader Winston Churchill. “Romania and all countries east of Germany were abandoned at Yalta,” he said, recalling the February 1945 conference when Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill re-divided Europe. “I can of course understand why Churchill thought this was the only possible strategy, from the British point of view at least. But I cannot forgive him and accept it.”
The exile, the fact that he had to become an ordinary citizen after living in palaces surrounded by attention, must have been a difficult experience. “We only left with our personal effects,” the former king says, as he was accused by the communist government that he left the country laden with gold and jewelry.

I can see why the King is bitter--I sure would be, too--but without Winston Churchill, Europe would have been subjected to Nazi barbarism for much longer, and freedom would have been extinguished throughout the Continent for much longer. Would that have been better?

And what could one expect the consequences to be from launching a war against the Evil Empire in 1941? I wish Romania had won that one, and if a neighbor stripped away a large part of my country's territory, I'd hope that we'd fight back--but there are consequences.

Last edited:
Romania was given to the Russians at the end of the second world war.Nobody took in consideration the will of the Romanians.

Here is a wonderful film made during the celebrations surrounding the 60th anniversary of the marriage of the King and Queen. Includes interviews with King Constantine of the Hellenes, Tsar Simeon of the Bulgarians, Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia, the Duke of Aosta, Prince Nicholas of Romania and his sister Karina, and Prince Radu and Crown Princess Margarita. Absolutely lovely...enjoy!

NUNTA DE DIAMANT Film de Marilena Rotaru 2008 - YouTube

King Michael and Queen Anne will be representing the Royal Family of Romania at the Jubilee celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II.

Regina Elisabeta a II-a,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom